• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ian1944

Where do you begin with England's deficiencies? It's too simplistic to say that too many have hit bad form together, there must be something more fundamental. I'll leave it to others to make a fuller analysis by saying only that Livingstone seems totally out of his depth, few runs, few wickets, concedes more than he scores.

DelW

Established Member
A decent performance by England's bowlers but any hopes of an unlikely England win were dashed from the off when Bairstow departed after the first ball of the innings.

I don't know how many England fans travelled to follow the team, but I'd be disgusted if I'd spent a lot of money to watch six humiliations out of seven matches. I wouldn't even put any money on England beating Netherlands at present, though England do have a record of staging a comeback once it's too late to make any difference.

75A

Established Member
I wouldn't even put any money on England beating Netherlands at present, though England do have a record of staging a comeback once it's too late to make any difference.
That's exactly what I was thinking, I'd bet a few quid on them wining their last two games.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Entertaining game, England all out for 253 but they did put up a fight losing by 33 runs
Officially they can't make the semi-ifnals now.
All ten wickets lost to catches; Lady Bracknell would have had something to say about that. Five consecutive matches lost by England, six in all, a new World Cup low, with two to go.

In the other game, a marvellous batting performance by New Zealand, who courageously replaced Young with Ravindra as opener in order to bring Kane Williamson back after injury, and it couldn't have gone better for them. Pakistan responded magnificently, though, and the game was poised to be an absolute cracker when rain intervened with Pakistan having done enough to ensure they were ahead on run rate to win according to DRS.

England's next match is against Pakistan, who scored 200-1 today. Let's hope we go in with the same worldbeating X1 again, eh? Whatever we do, we mustn't be looking to the future!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
India have reached a total of 326-5 in 50 overs against South Africa. Kohli has equalled Tendulkar's record of ODI hundreds.
Kohli 101 not out with 10 x 4
Shreyas 77 with 2 x 6 and 7 x 4.

UPDATE

South Africa 83 all out (27.1 overs)
Jadeja ... 9 - 1 - 33 - 5

India win by 243 runs.

Last edited:

4COR

I note that Angelo Mathews was the skipper when Sri Lanka Makaded Jos Butler at Edgbaston.... how's that for karma today?

scarby

I don't know how many England fans travelled to follow the team, but I'd be disgusted if I'd spent a lot of money to watch six humiliations out of seven matches.
Fair enough but it should be remembered that at its core live sport isn't established for people to spend hundreds or thousands of pounds to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to a game or tournament. While a club or team might be grateful for the support, possibly very grateful, they didn't ask or expect anyone to spend thousands to get to some games.

As a live event sport is generally designed for spectators within easy or relatively easy reach of the venue.

Of course it's totally fine if someone wants to make expensive journeys as a fanatic but if you do so I think you should go with the pre-understanding that you might face disappointment on the pitch, perhaps heavy disappointment. So those who do so should embrace it as a wider experience, whether that's seeing new places, as a social event or being able to say you went there.

Harvester

Established Member
I note that Angelo Mathews was the skipper when Sri Lanka Makaded Jos Butler at Edgbaston.... how's that for karma today?
What goes around comes around! The result however is not good for England’s hopes of eighth position, and qualification for the 2025 Champions Trophy.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What goes around comes around! The result however is not good for England’s hopes of eighth position, and qualification for the 2025 Champions Trophy.
Very unlikely to have affected the result anyway as Sri Lanka batted their overs out and batters after Mathews seemed unaffected by what had occurred. Sri Lanka should have caught Shakib when he'd made seven, then they might have had a chance.

Purple Train

Established Member
Much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Mathews dismissal, but (as with other similar controversies) there is no point having such laws if they are not going to be applied!
Your statement would be all well and good were it not for the following factors:

1) ICC apply a shorter timer than that laid out in the Laws of Cricket (two minutes instead of three)
2) Mathews was ready before the two minutes (he was ready at one minute and 54 seconds)
3) The extra delay was caused because his helmet strap broke as he was tightening it
4) Especially post-Philip Hughes, surely it is unreasonable to expect players to play without a functioning helmet or lose their wicket in these circumstances
5) Injuries can still easily be caused when facing spin bowling

If the sport is in a position where it is sacrificing player safety over rigid interpretation of the law, then I think it's rather a backwards step. The law is designed to be applied in a deliberate attempt to slow down the game, not when there is a sudden equipment failure. And Adrian Holdstock's plainly wrong statement post-match (Mathews was, just, ready before the two minutes, measuring from the time of the previous wicket) doesn't help matters either. Poor sportsmanship from Bangladesh, poor lack of common sense by the umpires, and poor sportsmanship from Sri Lanka after the incident.

SteveM70

Established Member
4) Especially post-Philip Hughes, surely it is unreasonable to expect players to play without a functioning helmet or lose their wicket in these circumstances
5) Injuries can still easily be caused when facing spin bowling

ICC don’t require batsmen to wear a helmet when facing spin, unlike the ECB. Some consistency might help, as with the time allowed as you point out

Not sure about the “ready then his helmet broke” argument as it was before his first ball so really any fault was pre-existing

But the umps were put in a difficult position by the Bangladesh captain, and his interview afterwards implied he thought it was morally dubious at best but the need to win was more important

SteveHFC

Thoroughly enjoying watching Afghanistan over the past few weeks - currently giving Australia a very tough time.

SteveM70

Established Member
Glenn Maxwell is an unbelievable talent. Came in at 49/4, watched three more wickets fall to leave them 91/7, then set about getting the further 200 required on his own

And he’s injured himself and can barely jog

Now 147* off 101, him and Cummins have added an unbeaten 146 of which Cummins has 11

SteveHFC

Outstanding from Maxwell - if he does this - then it's definitely the innings of the tournament.

SteveM70

Established Member
His problem now is that he seems to be so immobile that he can’t even walk/jog a single, so unless Cummins starts hitting out Maxwell only has half as many balls left to get the runs

D1511

He'll only need 6 balls at this rate!
This is one of the most remarkable batting performances in the history of cricket, and I'm no lover of Australia, but they have to win it from here......

I forgot to say, it is also pretty comical.....as the antics of the rest of his team mates show!

SteveHFC

He's on for a double century if he gets the rest of the runs (15 needed at the time of typing)

SteveHFC

4 balls later - he's done it! Absolutely stunning.

202 run unbeaten partnership for the 8th wicket - of which Cummins got 12.

D1511

Let's not forget Pat Cummins 12 out of that partnership of 202! :D
EDIT Oops, simultaneous post, but I'll leave it to mark the occasion!