• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country overcrowding - shortage of rolling stock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Passenger assistance, in case of an emergency, revenue protection, catering, etc.
On the GWR intercity trains, I'm not aware of two sets of catering staff, one for each set of 5-car trains, when running as 10 cars.
I think the GWR Paddington to Oxford service should be extended to Banbury.

At least then, there is the option of transferring to Chiltern for the onward journey to Birmingham.

Although GWR do operate to Banbury, it is only a two hourly service that starts at Didcot Parkway.

It also does not help on a Sunday when the service north in the Oxford direction is now only once an hour, from Reading - on both GWR and XC.

Both service leave the same time, or a minute apart in the hour, which is absurd.

They should be half an hour apart, in the hour.

An example for the 31st March, is in the attached image.
That's mad. I assume they need to depart at the same time due to needing to be clear of platforms or junctions so that other trains are not impacted. They can't both arrive at Oxford at the same time as its one platform.
Except as we keep pointing out, that’s not planned to happen until June 2025, which will certainly help with the situation between Reading and Birmingham. However, even with them coming back alternate trains won’t go beyond York.
What are the chances of them having enough staff by June 2025?

YorksLad12

Established Member
However, on the rare occasions you do encounter a 8/10 carriage train, even that can be overcrowded.

Some parts of their network need more than the once an hour service currently offered.
Not helped by all of the (standard) reservations being in C & D, with generally fewer in H-L. If you're a regular, like me, you know you've a chance of a seat in the higher letters... then the consist that turns up is the wrong way round, as during today's Barrow Hill diversion, so I ended up standing in the vestibule of C from Sheffield to Leeds. Screens and RTT agreed with other, but the situation on the ground (track) was different.

A consistent five-car minimum would help, as there would be an unreserved coach (B or F) whichever end you stood. If they were 802s (or even 810s) there would be more seats too compared with a five-car 221. With more legroom. Pity XC is unlikely to get any.

Killingworth

Established Member
Not helped by all of the (standard) reservations being in C & D, with generally fewer in H-L. If you're a regular, like me, you know you've a chance of a seat in the higher letters... then the consist that turns up is the wrong way round, as during today's Barrow Hill diversion, so I ended up standing in the vestibule of C from Sheffield to Leeds. Screens and RTT agreed with other, but the situation on the ground (track) was different.

A consistent five-car minimum would help, as there would be an unreserved coach (B or F) whichever end you stood. If they were 802s (or even 810s) there would be more seats too compared with a five-car 221. With more legroom. Pity XC is unlikely to get any.
We used that rationale on a trip from Cheltenham to Chesterfield in January. It had worked well on our outbound journey and was fine up to Birmingham on the way back. There even the rear 5 car unit filled up well. That was as nothing when the 5 car unit was detached at Derby so we all had to cram into the continuing 4. It was then announced as terminating at York!

12LDA28C

Established Member
lots of trains operate DOO and in this case there is still a member of staff who could move between units. An example of passengers coming last again?

What's the relevance of what other Operators do? Crosscountry don't operate DOO so comparing them to a TOC that does is pointless.

Enough to compensate for the loss of the HSTs perhaps, not enough to grow capacity.

What evidence do you have that the DfT is interested in growing capacity?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We refurbished the entire 100 plus mk3 fleet at GA to a high spec Inc CET and power sockets throughout only to announce replacement of the entire lot less than 3 years later.

They would have been very good for additional Cross country services.

dk1

Veteran Member
They would have been very good for additional Cross country services.

Probably so but they didn’t want them. Suppose it was the traction contract that would have been the headache.

And they where not converted to power doors.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Probably so but they didn’t want them. Suppose it was the traction contract that would have been the headache.

And they where not converted to power doors.

It just goes to show that if the powers that be want a decent railway system, it can be parsimonious about coughing up for enough rolling stock, or have everything state of the art and modern, but they can't do both.

Snow1964

Established Member
With the new quarterly (Oct-Dec) figures due to be published by ORR tomorrow, thought I would go back 5 years (pre pandemic) and 10 years (as its a round number) so a comparison can be made

Cross Country (Oct-Dec)
Passenger journeys (table 1223) million 2014 :9.432m 2019 : 10.760m
Passenger km distance travelled (table 1233) 2014 : 870.6m : 2019 : 961.7m
Passenger Train km (table 1243) million 2014 : 8.124m 2019 : 8.126m
Passenger vehicle km (table 1253) million 2014 : 35.289m 2019 : 35.164m

Obviously can divide journey km by vehicle km to see if busier
and can look at average journey length changes etc

ORR tend to only compare to last year, so this should provide basis for meaningful discussion on if busier per vehicle etc compared to 5 years ago and 10 years ago (and 5 years is more than enough time to order and put into service new stock (unless you are SWR)

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
lots of trains operate DOO and in this case there is still a member of staff who could move between units. An example of passengers coming last again?
How could a member of staff move between sets of Voyagers? They aren't walk through.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Except as we keep pointing out, that’s not planned to happen until June 2025, which will certainly help with the situation between Reading and Birmingham. However even with them coming back alternate trains won’t go beyond York.
I’d missed that, I knew it had been pushed back from June 2024 but I thought it was now December 2024.

To be honest, terminating those trains at York isn’t so bad, IME they were always relatively quiet north of York anyway. The capacity is really only needed Reading-Birmingham-Sheffield, but with Sheffield being a really awkward place to transfer for trains further north.
If they require double crewing with guards (i.e. the driver can't count as a member of staff in the second unit, nor can the trolley person as they can on GWR) they could just change their stupid rule
I think (but might be wrong) that the catering manager can be the second member of staff when it’s a double unit. But catering staff availability can be hit and miss on XC even at the best of times.

Killingworth

Established Member
To be honest, terminating those trains at York isn’t so bad, IME they were always relatively quiet north of York anyway. The capacity is really only needed Reading-Birmingham-Sheffield, but with Sheffield being a really awkward place to transfer for trains further north.
I beg to differ. Capacity is absolutely needed from Sheffield to Leeds and to Newcastle on many trains, like that experienced by my grandson on Sunday that lead to me starting this thread, Post 1.

In December I squeezed into a seat from Sheffield to York and found myself next to a traveller from near Paignton to visit his father near Oban, a mammoth all day journey mostly on XC from Newton Abbot. In summer he said he'd always drive. No trolley on the train although there was an announced suggestion that it would be provided from Newcastle. He was prepared with a well loaded rucksack of food! Many were standing.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Enough to compensate for the loss of the HSTs perhaps, not enough to grow capacity.
Four 2+7 HST diagrams is roughly compensated for by six or seven 5 car Voyager diagrams. The difference is that seven Voyager trains can produce six to seven diagrams without breaking a sweat. The five HST sets and six pairs of power cars hardly ever worked with more than two simultaneous diagrams. So from the point of view of actual utilisation it's a (very marginal) increase.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I beg to differ. Capacity is absolutely needed from Sheffield to Leeds and to Newcastle on many trains, like that experienced by my grandson on Sunday
The trains via Leeds are very busy and always have been. These are the ones from the south west which go through to Edinburgh.

The trains via Doncaster, which are the ones from Reading, were generally much quieter north of York as they terminate at Newcastle. So terminating them at York is no big deal.

A0wen

On Moderation
The issue with XC is there are two or three flows which they are very busy on, but that doesn't justify huge increases in rolling stock or even more services.

A number of posters have commented that from York to Newcastle, XC can be overcrowded but LNER seems not to be - so the actual answer is to identify the worst overcrowding and address those flows, not to increase set length or order new stock only to cart around fresh air for more than 50% of the time - and if that means putting in place pick up only / set down only restrictions at certain points unless on a pre-booked ticket, then so be it.

Killingworth

Established Member
The trains via Leeds are very busy and always have been. These are the ones from the south west which go through to Edinburgh.

The trains via Doncaster, which are the ones from Reading, were generally much quieter north of York as they terminate at Newcastle. So terminating them at York is no big deal.
It is if you, like me, want a quick journey from Sheffield to Newcastle or Edinburgh, adds 20 minutes to the journey. Send the Reading trains to Edinburgh and beyond and terminate the longer distance ones at York!

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I'm sure it's been suggested before but converting the first class coach to standard class would increase capacity on 4 car Voyagers by 25% for minimal cost!

Bikeman78

Established Member
XC rips a massive hole in the railways green credentials. Running gas guzzling voyagers 100s of miles under the wires is just daft. Get a few bimodes for Edinburgh - Exeter, and EMUs fror Brum - Manchester (cl 350?) so Voyager workings can be 8 car.
And spark the fast lines Kings Norton - Longbridge.
Agreed. I know IETs are not generally liked on here but they are light years ahead of voyagers.

Trainbike46

Established Member
XC rips a massive hole in the railways green credentials. Running gas guzzling voyagers 100s of miles under the wires is just daft. Get a few bimodes for Edinburgh - Exeter, and EMUs fror Brum - Manchester (cl 350?) so Voyager workings can be 8 car.
And spark the fast lines Kings Norton - Longbridge.

Agreed. I know IETs are not generally liked on here but they are light years ahead of voyagers.

I agree voyagers aren't good trains, and XC definitely needs something better in the long term. In the short term though, XC should get all the voyagers freed up from XC to attract more passengers onto the railway, which will still reduce emissions in comparison to them going by car or plane.

In the long term, it needs bimodes or BEMUs. Me and others in previous XC threads have proposed things like new trains for LNER & GWR, with the 5-car 80x bimodes moving to XC (staying at their current depots).

Some relevant posts in older threads:

And I'm sure I somewhere suggested something along the lines of GWR ordering new 125mph EMUs at maximum length (260m or longer), and use those on the Oxford, Bristol, Cardiff and Swansea services after the relevant lines have been electrified. Then the spare 5-car 80x would be used by XC instead, and the 9-cars would all be used for Southwest services (and Carmarthen services if they continue)

Similarly, I remember suggesting on another thread for LNER to order more of their new CAF units (possibly in longer layouts of approximately 280-285m long), and passing all their 5-car 800 bimodes on to XC. Once again can't find the thread though.

Class 317

Hopefully they make the case successfully for the additional 5 voyagers.

In the meantime I think the effect of the extra 7 is under estimated. If 6 per day are used that's got the potential to lengthen 18 diagrams via a cascade within the fleet.

6 * 5 car sets replace 6 * 4 car sets. Extra 62 seats.
Frees up 6 * 4 car to formed 8 car sets with another 4 car diagram.
Use 8 car sets to replace 6 existing 5 car diagrams. Extra 132 seats.
6 additional 4 car diagrams become 5 cars. Extra 62 seats.

18 diagrams is around a third of services.

irish_rail

Established Member
Hopefully they make the case successfully for the additional 5 voyagers.

In the meantime I think the effect of the extra 7 is under estimated. If 6 per day are used that's got the potential to lengthen 18 diagrams via a cascade within the fleet.

6 * 5 car sets replace 6 * 4 car sets. Extra 62 seats.
Frees up 6 * 4 car to formed 8 car sets with another 4 car diagram.
Use 8 car sets to replace 6 existing 5 car diagrams. Extra 132 seats.
6 additional 4 car diagrams become 5 cars. Extra 62 seats.

18 diagrams is around a third of services.
But when the service from Reading to York cones back does that then put us back to square one?