• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caboose Class

I think (hope) I might have (finally) got it! Wem? It's a 180 degree centrally turned palindrome.
If I'm wrong, the noose awaits!!

Caboose Class

Correct - Wolfram (aka Tungsten) with centre (f) drilled out and the whole thing turned around = Marlow.

Your turn...
Do you know, Wolfram never even entered my train of thought (only W). Good clue. Very good clue!

Ok, tonight's little teaser:- What a hard-up farmer had to do we hear

Caboose Class

Time for a punt - but more in the hope of eliciting a further clue from you!
Long(itude?) Preston? Feeble attempt, I know.

Calthrop

Established Member
Not Long Preston, I'm afraid -- different pre-nationalisation company, and in a far-removed-therefrom part of the island.

"Meridional" -- not precisely latitude-and-longitude stuff; more, as a word pertaining to a particular cardinal compass point (first word of three-word name; the second and third words involve the vegetable-etc. business).

DaleCooper

Established Member
Correct ! "Meridional" = south; wood ("vegetable kingdom") / ham (animal) / sounds like "ferrous" (mineral).

Your floor.
Thank you.

I get the feeling that this thread has been hogged by a few contributors (including me) recently so I propose a time limited open floor expiring at 0900 tomorrow (26th) for someone other than the aforementioned motley crew (you know who you are) with a brilliant clue who has been champing at the bit to share it. If no clue has been posted by the deadline I will be forced to post yet another one.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you.

I get the feeling that this thread has been hogged by a few contributors (including me) recently so I propose a time limited open floor expiring at 0900 tomorrow (26th) for someone other than the aforementioned motley crew (you know who you are) with a brilliant clue who has been champing at the bit to share it. If no clue has been posted by the deadline I will be forced to post yet another one.

OK -- I hereby pledge to abstain till the stated hour (probably a few hours longer, I having a morning errand to run).

Caboose Class

Thank you.

We are what we are - a few Cryptos who rattle in our cages. It would be nice if we could enlarge our Circle to include more participants. Some Quiz forums seem to have lots of contributors - sadly not ours. Perhaps cryptic crosswords are not the "in thing" any more? Does anyone have any ideas how we might attract new members to our Club?

Neo9320

We are what we are - a few Cryptos who rattle in our cages. It would be nice if we could enlarge our Circle to include more participants. Some Quiz forums seem to have lots of contributors - sadly not ours. Perhaps cryptic crosswords are not the "in thing" any more? Does anyone have any ideas how we might attract new members to our Club?
Maybe a few links to ‘how to’ articles/videos pinned to the top of the thread?