• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Davros is Back !!! (Doctor Who)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Established Member
What I'm surprised about is that no-one picked up on is that The Master Missy talked about the Doctor as "she".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
After that she then stated "one of those is a lie"

We know that the Doctor encountered in "An Unearthly Child" was the 1st Doctor - Missy was lying

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
How can a show about time travel have continuity?

Easy! You just make sure that (a) historical events in any episode don't contradict historical events in other episodes, (b) the 'laws of physics' (however they have been set up in the fictional universe) don't change from episode to episode, and (c) people's personalities and the technological abilities of their equipment (for example what the TARDIS can do) don't change from episode to episode (unless there's an obvious rationale for the change).

I'd say continuity in show featuring time travel is basically no different from continuity in a show that doesn't. The only difference is that in a show that has time travel, you have the flexibility of characters going backwards and forwards in time and therefore being able to participate in events in a different order from their historical order - and, of course, events in different historical eras.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Easy! You just make sure that (a) historical events in any episode don't contradict historical events in other episodes, (b) the 'laws of physics' (however they have been set up in the fictional universe) don't change from episode to episode, and (c) people's personalities and the technological abilities of their equipment (for example what the TARDIS can do) don't change from episode to episode (unless there's an obvious rationale for the change).

I'd say continuity in show featuring time travel is basically no different from continuity in a show that doesn't. The only difference is that in a show that has time travel, you have the flexibility of characters going backwards and forwards in time and therefore being able to participate in events in a different order from their historical order - and, of course, events in different historical eras.
I don't like the TARDIS being so powerful. Not keen on the Master becoming Missy as a plot line.

I don't always like the stories being of a faster pace. Nor most of Murray Golds music, although I do realise he is talented and it's just the style I don't like vers the classic series music.

I do like many of the stories and I am pleased that at least three stories this season are 2 partners. Makes a refreshing change.

Whilst watching the new series I'm also watching season 3 of the old series. Back before the 23 November 2013 I started watching the pilot episode of The Unearthly Child. Then on the 23 November and once a week from then onwards I started watching the classic series in order.

Many episodes I've not seen so it was a good way to do it. I don't need to decide what to watch, the producers did it for me. As the seasons are so long I take the same breaks that existed 50 years ago between seasons.

If I was really nerdy I could watch then at precisely the same time they were broadcast as one Web Site lists the broadcast times down to the second! http://www.drwhoguide.com/who_s.htm

I do try to make sure I see or hear every bit of the stories and if edits exist in surviving video, I try to hear the audio in the right position before restarting the video.

I'm watching them as partly intended. I. E. To be watched once a week and not all in one go or night after night. My TV is much larger of course and I'm aware some minor corrections were made to the film during the restoration process so it's never an exact reproduction.

Just seen Trap of Steel, episode 2 of Galaxy 4. It's not the greatest Who episode and that's unusual as most of the Hartnell episodes were fantastic. Great acting and good story lines.

The new series may at times be described as epic but in season 3 there was the one off episode, Mission to the Unknown. This featured no regular cast but did feature some Daleks and a few others, including the actor Nicholas Courtney. Following it was the historical 4 parter, The Myth Makers. That bared no relation to the Mission to the Unknown episode. However after it was the start of the 12 part story, Daleks Masterplan. Such a shame only 2 complete episodes exist. That truly was epic. I've heard every episode and this year and next, as it runs into next year, I intend to watch them, mostly via YouTube reconstructions people have put up.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Well I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Davros after all these years :p

Like Lazarus I believe and sincerely hope it will not be the last time ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm sure Davros will return...

It was good to see him and The Doctor alone in quite a few scenes, did anyone doubt his ultimate malevolence ?

Disappointingly he was not featured alongside the Daleks at any point - only a visual interface.

Also I missed his "ranting" as he was calm and collected in comparison to previous appearances.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Does this forum support spoiler tags? I was in the process of writing some comments about yesterday's episode, but wanted to put certain stuff in spoilers for the benefit of anyone who hasn't yet watched the episode. But when I previewed my post I discovered that
tags didn't work. For that reason I saved the text and haven't yet posted it :)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It does not.

Standard procedure is either to put a big warning at the start of your post or to set the text colour to white and tell people to highlight the text to reveal what was said.

Might be something we could do once the migration to European Forum Traffic Management System Level 3 (our move, at some point, to a new version of vb) is complete.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
It does not.

Standard procedure is either to put a big warning at the start of your post or to set the text colour to white and tell people to highlight the text to reveal what was said.

OK fair enough. In that case: Spoiler Alert! Don't read this post if you haven't yet watched Saturday's episode.

I have to admit that episode was a lot better than I was expecting. It had some excellent dialog - deep characterization around the Doctor and Davros, and Missy and Clara, and some great humour as well - I cracked up when the Clara-controlled Dalek said "That's a bit weird" in complete Dalek voice. And the actual resolution to why the Doctor went back to Davros and how the child Davros lived did turn out to be consistent and well thought through.

Sadly however, I did still notice two probable continuity errors:
  • The TARDIS's HADS system didn't work the same way it normally works.
  • And more seriously, Clara couldn't say certain basic things like who she was through the Dalek control mechanism, but as far as I recall, in the episode 'Asylum of the Daleks' 3 years ago, Oswin had no problems doing so.
That last error seems particularly lazy since Jenna Coleman was playing the part concerned on both occasions, which should have made it particularly easy for someone (for example, Jenna :) ) to notice the problem.

Overall if it hadn't been for continuity issues, I'd have rated this episodes as one of the best in recent years - certainly more tightly written and more watchable than the previous week's one.

Last edited:

Jonny

Established Member
I'm not so sure about the supposed continuity errors. The HADS was more of a "smart HADS", and the circumstances of Clara in the dalek were different.

The upside was, Davros as devious as ever and Missy reaching a new level of psychopathy.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed the political themes in tonight's episode?

Yes

I also liked the "five rounds, rapid" from Kate as well as the oversized alien helmet in the lock room at the Black Archive - that makes me think there is something big planned for the final episode.

Oddly, though, the BBC page shown on screen was the text only version with inserted video

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Gosh! My confidence in the Dr. Who writers is completely restored! Not only a very clever story, but the Doctor's long speech tonight was amazing - very inspiring not just for Dr. Who but for real-world politics. And it clearly showed how good an actor Peter Capaldi is. I can't recall ever seeing anything quite like that in Dr. Who before, but I want more!

(And yes, I did notice the several topical political themes in both tonight and last week :) )

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
In the anniversary special, there were two Kates as well as two Osgoods, but I can't remember if we've seen what happened to the other Kate. I was half expecting the Kate we see in these two episodes to turn out to be the Zygon one and then be replaced by the human one.

backontrack

Established Member
Gosh! My confidence in the Dr. Who writers is completely restored! Not only a very clever story, but the Doctor's long speech tonight was amazing - very inspiring not just for Dr. Who but for real-world politics. And it clearly showed how good an actor Peter Capaldi is. I can't recall ever seeing anything quite like that in Dr. Who before, but I want more!

(And yes, I did notice the several topical political themes in both tonight and last week :) )

Agreed. That speech was amazing, and really showed how good Capaldi is.

Political themes - Kate reminded me of Theresa May. I think the plot was about terrorism.

Anyway, next week's the Mark Gatiss episode. Should be good...

jnjkerbin

Yes

I also liked the "five rounds, rapid" from Kate as well as the oversized alien helmet in the lock room at the Black Archive - that makes me think there is something big planned for the final episode.

Oddly, though, the BBC page shown on screen was the text only version with inserted video

The helmet was from Episode 5 of this series, The Girl Who Died.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The helmet was from Episode 5 of this series, The Girl Who Died.

Yes, but how did UNIT get its hands on it? Given the fact that Ashildr is still around in 2015, I wonder if she gave it to them - certainly she says that she'll always be around for the Doctor to protect the world from the Doctor as he protects it

Oddly, going by that episode, 12 seems to be playing fast and loose with the secrets of time travel as he took Courtney Woods on a trip to the Moon, albeit she had prior knowledge of the TARDIS and the Doctor, he took Evie Hubbard to meet Winston Churchill for her homework assignment! As we can assume that Courtney is still there at Coal Hill, that is now at least two pupils that have detailed knowledge of the Doctor being an alien and some working idea of TARDIS operations

Bit of a plot hole there

jnjkerbin

Yes, but how did UNIT get its hands on it? Given the fact that Ashildr is still around in 2015, I wonder if she gave it to them - certainly she says that she'll always be around for the Doctor to protect the world from the Doctor as he protects it

Oddly, going by that episode, 12 seems to be playing fast and loose with the secrets of time travel as he took Courtney Woods on a trip to the Moon, albeit she had prior knowledge of the TARDIS and the Doctor, he took Evie Hubbard to meet Winston Churchill for her homework assignment! As we can assume that Courtney is still there at Coal Hill, that is now at least two pupils that have detailed knowledge of the Doctor being an alien and some working idea of TARDIS operations

Bit of a plot hole there

Ah, but you're forgetting the entire planet was invaded by Cybermen and nobody turned a blind eye!

Oh and also, this has been released by the BBC but if you want to be totally spoiler free then don't visit the link below:

SPOILERS??

:)

TheNewNo2

I still want to know when Clara's going to go back in time and visit the Black Archive for the first time. When she goes there in the 50th anniversary show, Kate Lethbridge Stewart says they have her profile on record from last time...

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I give you the words of her father:

Which he did in "Battlefield"... (by the way - nice job on the quote!)

The Brigadier (although he ended up being a full General by the time of Battlefield) is also famous for decking the Master with a right hook! According to one of the books, he also got into a drinking session with the Doctor and half of UNIT - ending up in the local jail...

It is speculated that, if he had been alive, Nick Courtney would have appeared in the 50th I had the pleasure of meeting him just once when at an event in Blackpool and asked him what his favourite moment was as the Brig - he replied that it was being loved by the fans over the years and getting fan mail

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've still got the final episode of this series to watch but tonight I saw the episode The Nightmare Begins. Yesterday (Friday) was 50 years since its broadcast. Another well acted and gripping story. William Hartnell is a great actor. I've heard the story some years ago but pretty much forgotten a fair amount of it.

It's really really good. Such a shame most of it is missing. Epic in my opinion. Great Saturday night TV. Black and white is more menacing.

I'm currently watching the classic series in order, one episode a week, 50 years on. Started doing this on the 50th anniversary, or I should say shortly before as I started with the pilot episode. I don't have to bother wondering which Who episode I'll watch next. I just follow the programmes history in order, one episode a week. With the first 6 years wroth of seasons being so long, I am attempting to watch each episode on the week of their broadcast, with a summer break. That might change from 2020.

Most episodes are good and quite a few are fantastic. Only one or two are not that good. I think in time that will change but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Ever hopeful that they find some more early Who episodes. Especially Daleks Master Plan. I know episode 7, The Feast of Steven is impossible as it wasn't sold aboard but the rest I'm ever hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.