• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Schenker - Trainee Driver and Trainee Driver Operator ( Various Locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

benno79

I haven't heard anything recently I think hr have had their hands full with the last lot.

Jamesb1974

DB Schenker has gone quiet, has anyone heard about the recent recritment drive?

From what our Instructors have told us, DBS are looking to recruit 104 drivers this year. There are 16 of us at Knottingley and another 20 at Toton, so there are still going to be plenty of posts up for grabs if they stick to the 104 figure.

I would imagine that HR will wait until we are out of the classroom phase before they consider taking on another batch of recruits, so March on wards would be my guess. I don't know about Toton, but the classroom at Knottingley only just accommodates the 16 + 2 instructors.

Jim

Last edited:

Jamesb1974

104, is that trainee or qualified?

Er, not sure on that one. "104 new drivers" was the phrase, so make of that what you will!

I don't know about the Toton class, but the Knottingley class is roughly a 50/50 split of new entrants (some with previous Railway experience) and internal applicants from other posts within DBS.

Don't quote me on this, but I would imagine that is a formula that they are happy with so far.

Jim

JAMBO

I know they had an advert up for qualified for quite some time? Not sure if they got anyone. It's quite unbelievable really what's gone on the last few years at DBS, sending qualified drivers packing, and a boat load it was too,then in the next breath screaming out as there realise that they have dropped an almighty clanger and that there now short, so now thousands spent training guys off the street! Where's the business sense in that? Someone's head must have rolled for that. You couldn't make it up really.

Hughqq

From what our Instructors have told us, DBS are looking to recruit 104 drivers this year. There are 16 of us at Knottingley and another 20 at Toton, so there are still going to be plenty of posts up for grabs if they stick to the 104 figure.

I would imagine that HR will wait until we are out of the classroom phase before they consider taking on another batch of recruits, so March on wards would be my guess. I don't know about Toton, but the classroom at Knottingley only just accommodates the 16 + 2 instructors.

Jim

Thanks for the update, I am hoping to make the shortlist from the latest advert. If you were to go through the assessment centre again, having been through it once, what things would you do differently? Any advice on preparation or hints/tips would be greatly appreciated

benno79

I guess it depends Hughqq, did you fail the first time you went through the process? Or did you sit the old style tests and you are expecting you will be required to sit the new ones?

Hughqq

I guess it depends Hughqq, did you fail the first time you went through the process? Or did you sit the old style tests and you are expecting you will be required to sit the new ones?

Hi Benno, I sat the first stage tests with FGW in May and passed, though they stated one result was what they called a borderline pass and put my application on hold. All attempts to find out which part this was has failed. I was interested in the insight of those that have been through the whole process and passed, there is no better learning than from someones experience. I am picking up some info on this and other threads about the new tests and trying to prep as best as i can :D

TDK

Established Member
104, is that trainee or qualified?

I cannot see any qualified drivers unless they have been made redundant want to go and work for DBS
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know they had an advert up for qualified for quite some time? Not sure if they got anyone. It's quite unbelievable really what's gone on the last few years at DBS, sending qualified drivers packing, and a boat load it was too,then in the next breath screaming out as there realise that they have dropped an almighty clanger and that there now short, so now thousands spent training guys off the street! Where's the business sense in that? Someone's head must have rolled for that. You couldn't make it up really.

Indeed and it took very hard work from ASLEF assisting in re employing the ex DBS drivers that took them 2 years to complete.

JAMBO

It's astonishing that some guys got bumper pay offs and sent down the road to then been asked if they want there job back! Talk about been quids in

Jamesb1974

If you were to go through the assessment centre again, having been through it once, what things would you do differently? Any advice on preparation or hints/tips would be greatly appreciated

Hi, did you sit the assessment centre under the 'old' tests or the new? If it was the new, then I'm sorry but I really can't help as I sat the old. That said, even if you sat the 'old' assessment, that is now out of the window and the 'new' assessment is in, of which I have no knowledge!

I passed, so I wouldn't do anything differently. If there was one one piece of advice for the assessment centre, then it is the old classic "RTFQ". Stick to that and you really can't go wrong.

Jim

Last edited:

Clarky042

Well? To those who started on the 6th, how's it going?

Hi RB

It's going really well mate , first couple of weeks have been a bit chaotic with a lot of info coming our way to take in. Had a few cab rides and did the PTS course. Got hands on with a 66 and an 09 , did some coupling up, a signal lesson , and other HR / admin type bits and bobs too.

Rules starts next week so I'm preparing for my head to be blown , but looking forward to it.

It's been great , and I can honestly say its the best decision I ever made !

Clarky

jcook84

Hi

I'm on the May intake training for Driver Operator at Knottingley or Doncaster, was just wondering what hours / days you were working while you are in training? Is it 35 hours a week?

Hughqq

Hi, did you sit the assessment centre under the 'old' tests or the new? If it was the new, then I'm sorry but I really can't help as I sat the old. That said, even if you sat the 'old' assessment, that is now out of the window and the 'new' assessment is in, of which I have no knowledge!

I passed, so I wouldn't do anything differently. If there was one one piece of advice for the assessment centre, then it is the old classic "RTFQ". Stick to that and you really can't go wrong.

Jim
Jim,
Thanks, i sat them under the old tests so researching the new ones at the moment, even considering the course run by the how 2 become folks. Still hoping to be shortlisted for DBS and was encouraged by a post stating that they are looking for 104 new drivers this year. Good luck on your training :)

RB5Bird

Hi RB

It's going really well mate , first couple of weeks have been a bit chaotic with a lot of info coming our way to take in. Had a few cab rides and did the PTS course. Got hands on with a 66 and an 09 , did some coupling up, a signal lesson , and other HR / admin type bits and bobs too.

Rules starts next week so I'm preparing for my head to be blown , but looking forward to it.

It's been great , and I can honestly say its the best decision I ever made !

Clarky

Cheers for that.

Sounds like it's going alright. I'm going to get in touch with them towards the end of the week regarding the May start - I really need something on paper before I can get my life in order to start afresh.

What are the hours like? Actually looking forward to being away all week, although the cat may go hungry, hmmm, will have to sort that out.

wanabedriver

hi all new member i applied november just sat assessment 21st jan passed waiting on interview

Hello Mate,

congratulations on getting through mate, couple of questions :)

how was the new assessments, any tips you have would be very helpful. I have passed the old assessments but have been advised I will have to sit the new ones.

which depot have you applied for, I've applied for the wembley depot and was told before christmas that I would sit the assessments in Febuary but have not heard anything yet.

Cheers Mate

haury33

Hello Mate,

congratulations on getting through mate, couple of questions :)

how was the new assessments, any tips you have would be very helpful. I have passed the old assessments but have been advised I will have to sit the new ones.

which depot have you applied for, I've applied for the wembley depot and was told before christmas that I would sit the assessments in Febuary but have not heard anything yet.

Cheers Mate
hi found the test ok. i originally applied for acton but dont want acton want north west so did the test anyway get that bit out the way. if you ve sat the old test you should be ok 3 of us sat it on the 21st 1 failed the other guy who passed sat the old test some of the stuff is the same (bourbon.glop.storyboard )the worst bit was sitting in front of the computer whilst a square flashed on the screen touch the button when it changes colour and the interview at the end they dont half grill you on the answers you put to the question sheet.only advice i could give is dont rush work through the sheets at a steady pace they aint looking for how much you do they want steady work with no or few errors and good luck

IKB

I applied in November and haven't heard a thing. I'm trying not take it personally as you couldn't really go wrong with the DBS application form...all you had to do was list your personal and employment details. A tick-box exercise. I filled it out meticulously, have good educational qualifications and work in the uniformed services the advert listed as desirable. Weird! Oh well.

But nonetheless good luck to those who have had their applications progressed.

7greg200

Hi, Ikb
I am also interested in one of DB's posts and emailed them this week.
The reply was that they were behind in the recruitment drive and would notify candidate in the next few weeks.
There is hope yet!

Will.C

Hi all, I originally applied back in August last year for Wembley. Had thought for a long time that I hadn't even passed the selection stage after applying but today received and invite for a Driver Assessment in Watford on feb 28th!! Completely taken by surprise when I opened my letterbox :)
There's also plenty of information and practice material for the assessment day and tests included in the pack I was sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.