• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DC Rail Qualified Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcitychoochoo

Hi, does anyone have any information on DC Rail? I'm specifically looking for what a typical working week looks like? Booking on from home? Travel? How many lodge turns? Lodge allowance? And pension provision? I know they are not in RPS but looking to find out if the pension they offer is DB or DC.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zontar

Yes I be keen to know too. How far in advance do you know your shifts, any set rest day patterns? Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking your thread....

tiptoptaff

Established Member
My understanding of them is you book on from home, paid for your travel to/from work to a degree. Lots of lodging away if you don't live near their main hubs.

No travel benefits, same as any other FOC but van provided for work travel.

bengley

Established Member
My understanding of them is you book on from home, paid for your travel to/from work to a degree. Lots of lodging away if you don't live near their main hubs.

No travel benefits, same as any other FOC but van provided for work travel.
Drivers don't get a van, only shunters. All PASS/Taxi for drivers.

trainmania100

Established Member
Out of curiosity where is their main hub? DCR locos never seem to be in one particular location, not a huge fleet size and rather large coverage despite their name

axl88

Book on from Home/Lodge. Taxi, Van or pass.
12 hour turns with no PNB, weekly roster working basically any day, at any time, anywhere on your route card. Lodging can be all week but you get an allowance. Basic pension. SSP. OK if you're single but it's hard on family life. I was happier when I left to be honest. Regular jobs in Bristol , Appleford, London, Oxford, Machen, Burton, Ravenhead, Brandon, Carlisle & Kings Lynn. I noticed they go to Grain as well now.

baz962

Established Member
12 hour turns with no PNB, weekly roster working basically any day, at any time, anywhere on your route card. Lodging can be all week but you get an allowance. Basic pension. SSP. OK if you're single but it's hard on family life. I was happier when I left to be honest. Regular jobs in Bristol , Appleford, London, Oxford, Machen, Burton, Ravenhead, Brandon, Carlisle & Kings Lynn. I noticed they go to Grain as well now.
No PNB. Isn't that illegal?

baz962

Established Member
And in a 12 hour shift too. I'm just trying to figure out if they can justify it by saying that when the driver is sitting at a signal or in a loop or possession , it can count as a PNB. Wouldn't get away with it at the TOC 's .

jamess115

What I find intersting about DC Rail is that they don't seem able to settle. - If i'm not mistaken, they have been advertising for drivers for months; initially marketing the job at 62K and now at 74K with more conditions.

When I interviewed a few months ago, it was with a panel of three and the interview lasted 90 minutes. At the time, I was told that there was huge demand and more qualified people had gone for the role - yet they are still interviewing. With just six engines and an apparent huge number of applications, why have they not filled the role(s)?

Fittermat

What I find intersting about DC Rail is that they don't seem able to settle. - If i'm not mistaken, they have been advertising for drivers for months; initially marketing the job at 62K and now at 74K with more conditions.

When I interviewed a few months ago, it was with a panel of three and the interview lasted 90 minutes. At the time, I was told that there was huge demand and more qualified people had gone for the role - yet they are still interviewing. With just six engines and an apparent huge number of applications, why have they not filled the role(s)?
I know a few drivers have left but also I’m sure when you dig deeper into the 74k it’s not that great. Meaning contracted hours compared to other FOC’s.

tiptoptaff

Established Member

I can understand the salary increase - raised to compete with GBRFs mobile role and FL's Rapid Deployment Drivers.

I think they're picking up more and more work all the time. Machen, for example, was a FL job until recently.

They seem to have a lot of the smaller Hanson quarries now. Might be Cappagh behind that, but would explain the need for more

387star

On Moderation
I can understand the salary increase - raised to compete with GBRFs mobile role and FL's Rapid Deployment Drivers.

I think they're picking up more and more work all the time. Machen, for example, was a FL job until recently.

They seem to have a lot of the smaller Hanson quarries now. Might be Cappagh behind that, but would explain the need for more
Freight better than GWR?

nom de guerre

Grain has been very regular recently - often 3-5 times a week - plus occasional Chessington trips too. They've also announced plans to start using Plumstead (although that's likely to be 2024 onwards).

Taking Grain as an example, the normal diagram spends three hours there loading before returning to Willesden. The loco runs round immediately after arrival, so presumably DCR would regard the next 150-odd minutes as a break ...?

axl88

Grain has been very regular recently - often 3-5 times a week - plus occasional Chessington trips too. They've also announced plans to start using Plumstead (although that's likely to be 2024 onwards).

Taking Grain as an example, the normal diagram spends three hours there loading before returning to Willesden. The loco runs round immediately after arrival, so presumably DCR would regard the next 150-odd minutes as a break ...?

I've never signed Grain so I can't comment on the operations there, but if its anything like a lot of turns now, it's run-round and then draw forward every wagon or two until the loading is complete.

Stigy

Established Member
How come? Freight doesn't appeal to me as it's often more night work? Plus a lot of crawling around.
But the variety is tempting
All TOCs are generally comparable to work for in my experience. There will be the usual frustrating lack of communication at times, and politics etc that you get everywhere, but fundamentally the railway is the railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.