• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champo

Hi all. I'm what you'd probably call a 'NEWBIE'.
I've got an interview for a Depot Driver next week and any info regarding the day to day role or previous interview questions would be greatly appreciated.
Totally new career hopefully at the grand old age of 38.
As Elvis once said 'It's now or never'.
PS: If there are any Depot Drivers who fancy practicing interviews they can do mine next week.I'll provide relevant I.D. Ha ha.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

There is a guy on this forum called beveridges. He'll propably post a reply on this thread anyway but if not seach for his posts on other depot driver threads. He goes into proper detail about the role.
Hope that helps :)

Dave1987

On Moderation
I've got an interview for a Depot Driver next week and any info regarding the day to day role or previous interview questions would be greatly appreciated.
PS: If there are any Depot Drivers who fancy practicing interviews they can do mine next week.I'll provide relevant I.D. Ha ha.

Which TOC? Not all DD roles are the same for each TOC.

Beveridges

Established Member
I dont know Allerton Jimmy Key is your best bet hes the depot instructor for there

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member

I have no knowledge of the depot your going for but I posted a detailed description of a general MDD role in a previous post. I'll see if I can find it later.

EDIT: Unfortunately, its hard to find, because so many threads have descended into flame wars between the usual suspects.

When you go for your psychometric tests you perform an Interview with the assessor. He asks the following questions:
Describe a time when:
1) You dealt with an emergency
2) You dealt with a difficult problem
3) Worked alone for long periods
4) Completed a training course
5) Solved a difficult problem

When you go for your corporate Interview they could ask anything. Previous "known" MDD questions include:

1) What do you know about Northern?
2) What do you know about the MDD role ?
3) Why are you applying for this role?
4) Describe a time when you used problem solving skills ?
5) Describe a time when you worked as part of a team ?
6) Describe a time when you worked under pressure ?
7) What ISO standards does the depot have to comply with ? (I can't remember but it was ISO 9 thousand & something)
8) What do you think the depot does to reduce its impact on the environment ? (disposing of items and materials in the correct container, reducing spillage of diesel fuel, recycling & other stuff)
9) Are you prepared to do fuelling and perform CET / Toilet tanking ? (some people cannot cope with it)
10) What are your career ambitions (Do NOT say "mainline driver" or that could be an instant fail depending on who the interviewer is)
11) Describe a time you had to multi task ? (important as in this role you are often required to drive units, plan your moves, deal with conflicting moves, talk on the radio to the OTL's / DD's / DP's, listen to radio messages, deal with faults, obey signals/hand signals - all at the same time!)
12) Describe a time when you had to rectify a fault ?
13) Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision ?
14) What other strengths and qualities do you have ?
15) Do you have any questions to ask us ? (have a few to show your interested; ask about the role and the training, ask for a copy of the Rosta to see the shifts)

Another important part of a Depot Drivers role is safety critical communication, a Depot Driver will communicate a lot with hand-held radios, far more frequently than a Mainline Driver has to communicate. When mentioning your strengths it is important that you mention communication skills. Not only do you have to speak clearly, concisely and accurately, but you have to listen to the radio all the time to keep track of what is going on around the depot as much of it will effect you & you repeat back critical info to ensure a clear understanding has been reached.

The list of questions they could "potentially" ask is endless, I notice a lot of other forum members on here have had Depot Drivers interviews, why aren't you contributing to this thread ???

Last edited:

DmanPoppet

For the MDD interview, I was also asked about why I hadn't followed the career I had started on/studied for and how I would cope with (mostly) night work. Also how you found out about the job/role and why it interested you enough to apply.

Champo

Thanks Beveridges and Dman. loads of good stuff to go over there.
Great to see people helping each other.
Thanks again.

Ian_B83

Reading about when it come to talking on the radio is a saying we get told in the army which is CLAP

Clear Loud And as a Pause

Ian_B83

I like that saying. that's getting used tomorrow in work ;)

Lol, also thank for the info posted in here, I applied to Work in Exeter, 50/50 if I get a interview, was told I find out last Thursday but I know it's a waiting game, one question I like was why do I not wish to continue my current career, mean I can prepare for a better answer.

Bluebri

Good luck to everyone who had/has an interview for MDD at Allerton.

Just had my interview and felt it went well. I have to say a big thanks to everyone on here. Without everyones help, understanding this role and performing well at the interview would have been extremely difficult.

For anyone that hasn't has the interview yet and has been invited, the guys are really nice, just relax and be yourselves and you will be fine.

Champo

Who done your interview 'blu bri'? I had my interview on Wednesday with Daz and Graham, went ok i think, they said we should find out on Monday.
Thanks to everyone for posting,it really helps.
The interviewers are very friendly and it turns into a conversation rather than an interview,I'll post the questions i can remember later.
Thanks again.

Bluebri

Paul and Alan did mine. It was nice to know that if successful that we'd be working with them. The depot itself sounds like a great place to work.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just got the email saying I have been successful at interview. Phew! Tests W/C 3rd March.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Champo

Well done 'bluebri'. I got through too. Made up?
I'm looking forward to having a go at these tests to be honest.
Not giving us much time to prepare if it's next week though are they.
Thanks again to all who've helped.
Time to see if we've got the right type of brain eh.:lol:

Bluebri

Yeah, me too. Will be cracking on with the Group Bourdon daily now. Trying to find out what else will be in the assessment and what other practise we could do as I believe there are several tests that will be difficult to practise. Outside of that, a nice hotel away from home the night before to get a decent kip lol

Louby

Yeah, me too. Will be cracking on with the Group Bourdon daily now. Trying to find out what else will be in the assessment and what other practise we could do as I believe there are several tests that will be difficult to practise. Outside of that, a nice hotel away from home the night before to get a decent kip lol

They are nothing to worry about if your prepared

pweb32

well done guys , I heard today I was successful too now searching for what the assessments will entail. Good luck to everyone

Ian_B83

Congrats to every one so far, I'm still patiently waiting to see if I made the interview stage, how long has every one been waiting between assessment and interview? I check up last week and was told it had not reached the line manager yet, so I guess that's a good thing?

Hope every one is keeping well.

pweb32

HI Ian , I applied 29th Jan got an invite to interview on 12th Feb which I attended on 20th Feb , Heard yesterday I had got throu to assessment.
Good luck

Ian_B83

HI Ian , I applied 29th Jan got an invite to interview on 12th Feb which I attended on 20th Feb , Heard yesterday I had got throu to assessment.
Good luck

Mine was other way round, did my assessment on 12th of Feb got told we find out the next day if we passed but nit heard any thing, that's the only thing I'm interested about is if I passed or not was only 2 of use who got to do all the test, I don't mind waiting then.

Ian_B83

was the assessment the full train drivers one Ian

No i don't think so, the day was split into 2 parts, 1st was the concentration test (one with the shape) the the rule and regulations multiple choice (those who failed went home) part 2 was the audio, written and oral test.

but i understand the assessment are different to each role and with only 2 making the 2nd part, maybe there doing a recall to get numbers up?

pweb32

so its worthwhile revising all the rules and regs, didn't think it would be that in depth at this stage

Bluebri

Neither did I. My email states clearly that the following is involved:

Group Bourdon Paper and pencil Attention
TRP (Trainability for Rules and Procedures) Part1 Paper and pencil Memory
TRP (Trainability for Rules and Procedures) Part 2 Paper and pencil Reasoning
TEA-Occ (Test for Everyday Attention for Occupational groups Paper and pencil Attention
WAFV Computer Vigilance & Reaction Time
2HAND Computer Hand coordination
ATAVT (Adaptive Tachistoscopic Traffic Test) Computer Perception
SJE (Situational Judgement Exercise) Computer with good WIFI access Relevant behavioural/personality attributes
MMI (Multi Modal Interview) Face to face Communication Relevant behavioural/personality attributes.

Which Vacancy were you tested / interviewed for Ian. Was it the Allerton MDD, as I have a feeling it wasn't. Seems unlikely they would have two groups doing different methods and interview/testing procedures. It would be very difficult for them to correctly sift and would be very costly for them.

As far as I can see and have been told, testing and interviewing for MDD is the same as the Mainline Driver.

Good luck to everyone sitting the tests. I have mine on 6th March. May see some of you there.

Louby

Neither did I. My email states clearly that the following is involved:

Group Bourdon Paper and pencil Attention
TRP (Trainability for Rules and Procedures) Part1 Paper and pencil Memory
TRP (Trainability for Rules and Procedures) Part 2 Paper and pencil Reasoning
TEA-Occ (Test for Everyday Attention for Occupational groups Paper and pencil Attention
WAFV Computer Vigilance & Reaction Time
2HAND Computer Hand coordination
ATAVT (Adaptive Tachistoscopic Traffic Test) Computer Perception
SJE (Situational Judgement Exercise) Computer with good WIFI access Relevant behavioural/personality attributes
MMI (Multi Modal Interview) Face to face Communication Relevant behavioural/personality attributes.

Which Vacancy were you tested / interviewed for Ian. Was it the Allerton MDD, as I have a feeling it wasn't. Seems unlikely they would have two groups doing different methods and interview/testing procedures. It would be very difficult for them to correctly sift and would be very costly for them.

As far as I can see and have been told, testing and interviewing for MDD is the same as the Mainline Driver.

Good luck to everyone sitting the tests. I have mine on 6th March. May see some of you there.

Stop at teaocc, others are stage 2

pweb32

good luck blue bri for the 6th just practising some of these tests myself. I bought the book how to become a train driver which is a good help.
I haven't had an email yet giving me a date just one saying I was successful at the interview and they are looking at sorting dates for the w/c 3rd March.

Bri where is your assement taking place ?

Status
Not open for further replies.