• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ian_B83

@Bluebri
hello mate, the position i applied for is for night shift carriage cleaner with shunting responsibility at Exeter, nothing special but hoping to get away from the kitchen, so starting from the bottom again and hopefully work up the ladder :) as much as i love my job (strange i know) i need a fresh start :)

TB93

Nothing wrong with that Ian Thats how I started then left the railway only to return 9 years later to do shunting then onto driving.

Bluebri

Hi Ian. Nothing wrong with that mate. I think most of its on here know that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I for one would apply for any role at the moment to get a foot in the door. I have a mate who is a driver for Merseyrail and we have had that same discussion. I was just a bit confused as this thread was for depot driver so couldn't understand the selection process you were talking about. The fog had now lifted lol. Good luck anyway, I hope you get through.

Last edited:

Ian_B83

Sorry for the confusion, i'm completely new to the rail industry and i not fully understood the whole process to get selected yet.

pweb32

Just got the email for the assessment from Northern , next Friday at 9 in Manchester

Champo

Good Luck 'bluebri'.
I'm the same as 'pweb'. Friday in Manchester. (see you there pweb)
Just the 1st stage for us, dunno if it's the same for you.
I'm looking forward to it to be honest, it's not often you get to do stuff like this is it.
I think it's just all the pen and pencil stuff first, then if you/we get through that we do do all the computer stuff and MMI.
Anyway good luck to all.
Any insight regarding the time limits given for each test would be greatly appreciated.

Ian_B83

Good Luck 'bluebri'.
I'm the same as 'pweb'. Friday in Manchester. (see you there pweb)
Just the 1st stage for us, dunno if it's the same for you.
I'm looking forward to it to be honest, it's not often you get to do stuff like this is it.
I think it's just all the pen and pencil stuff first, then if you/we get through that we do do all the computer stuff and MMI.
Anyway good luck to all.
Any insight regarding the time limits given for each test would be greatly appreciated.

i did my stage 1 with FGW. idk if its the same with you?

ste

I worked at Allerton for 2 years not long left its a great place to work for anyone going there.

Bluebri

Just had my assessment day. Got through to the Mmi so pretty chuffed with that. Just got to wait to hear whether I got the job now. Fingers crossed.

Were only four on my assessment day. One poor fella didn't get to stage 2. Didn't sound like many assessments being done for mdd in Allerton. Anyone else here doing/ done the assessments?

Champo

Well in 'BlueBri'. Have you done MMI or just got through to it? How was it??
I'm doing part 1 tomorrow in Manchester, Dunno why being sent there rather than doing it today in Liner Hotel with you.
It says we're doing,
1. Bourdon
2. TRP Part 1
3. TRP Part 2
4. TEA Occ
Is that the order you done them in?

Beveridges

Established Member
I worked at Allerton for 2 years not long left its a great place to work for anyone going there.

I heard that there is currently a lot of tension & falling out between the MDD's and the Fitter's at Allerton ?

Or have I been mis informed ?

Bluebri

Well in 'BlueBri'. Have you done MMI or just got through to it? How was it??
I'm doing part 1 tomorrow in Manchester, Dunno why being sent there rather than doing it today in Liner Hotel with you.
It says we're doing,
1. Bourdon
2. TRP Part 1
3. TRP Part 2
4. TEA Occ
Is that the order you done them in?
Hi Champo
I did everything mate. Already had the dm interview so if I get the nod it will be a medical or talent pool.
The testing was relentless.
1 Bourdon
2 Trainability
3 tea occ
10 minute break. If passed
4 wav
5 atatv
6 2 hand. These were all in one go one after another on a laptop.
Short 10 minute break
if passed then
7 situational judgement on laptop
8 pre mmi questions
then mmi.
Good luck.

Champo

Did you find it easier or harder than expected?
As I said just the 1st part for us tomorrow.
I'm actually looking forward to it.
Well done again.
I'll try and post tomorrow with how I felt I done.

Bluebri

I heard that there is currently a lot of tension & falling out between the MDD's and the Fitter's at Allerton ?

Or have I been mis informed ?

Hi Beveridges
I'd be interested to know what you've heard. I have now spoken to a few people with experience of Allerton from people working there, people who have met or worked with people there or people who simply know people who work there and it has come across as nothing but a great place to work with great staff there. I am just curious as it is good to know every angle and not just the Rose tinted view.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did you find it easier or harder than expected?
As I said just the 1st part for us tomorrow.
I'm actually looking forward to it.
Well done again.
I'll try and post tomorrow with how I felt I done.
It felt harder because it was for real and slightly different to the practise material. But if you have practised it will certainly help you focus. What caught me out was having to use a biro and being told to press hard. This really hurt my wrist about half way and was annoying but I haven't written for a long time either as I almost always use a computer these days. I felt a lot better when the bourdon was out of the way and relaxed once I found out I had got through the paper exercises.
Just got my e mail to confirm I have passed my assessments. So chuffed. Just the agonising wait for a job offer now. I'm off to buy a jumbo tub of coffee.

pweb32

Hard work on Friday , surprised to see so many people there , hope you all got on ok.
Personally messed up a bit on the cogs / dials test and had to go back to correct it which cost me some time. Also on the glopp test bugging me now other than that quite enjoyed it, not heard anything yet
I called Northern today they said the resuts for the stage 1 of the assessment should be out today, im a bag of nerves
Just had the email I passed made up got a phonecall too the next part of the assessments will be next month apparently
good luck to everyone else

Last edited:

pweb32

did you get a date champo ? someone I know who did the assessment on the same day as us was told it could be a date this week

Bluebri

did you get a date champo ? someone I know who did the assessment on the same day as us was told it could be a date this week

The problem is availability of courses. Depot drivers do the same course for the first 6-8 weeks or so and there are a ton of Trainee Drivers sat in the pool too. Like you, I have passed and chomping at the bit for a start date. Not sure how many are in the pool for MDD, but there were only 8 that did the full assessment the other week in Liverpool from what I have been told. How many did the Manchester assessments? And have they all done part 2 with the MMI yet?

jimmy key

We currently have a dozen or so new driners training on the depot at the moment. One is a mdd for our place and from what im told one for allerton, ain't anyone on here by any chance is it?

pweb32

The problem is availability of courses. Depot drivers do the same course for the first 6-8 weeks or so and there are a ton of Trainee Drivers sat in the pool too. Like you, I have passed and chomping at the bit for a start date. Not sure how many are in the pool for MDD, but there were only 8 that did the full assessment the other week in Liverpool from what I have been told. How many did the Manchester assessments? And have they all done part 2 with the MMI yet?

There were at least 5 for the depot job that I know of ,doing the first part in Manchester 3 passed from that.

Bluebri

There were 3 that got to the mmi the day I went but have no idea how many passed. Likewise, don't know how many got through the day before. Would be interesting to know how many vacancies were actually being filled and when.

pweb32

I asked at my first interview how many jobs there were , they said 4 maybe 5 .

were the ones that went through to the mmi all for the depot job? are u internal bluebri just wondering why your assessment was different

Last edited:

Geera

Hi does anyone know where I can obtain practice material for dials assessment on trp II please thanks

Bluebri

were the ones that went through to the mmi all for the depot job? are u internal bluebri just wondering why your assessment was different

No, I am an external candidate, so couldn't answer that one.
Hi does anyone know where I can obtain practice material for dials assessment on trp II please thanks

It is sent through with the practise material, although it only gives you a jist of it.

Sunday_mornin

There are 3 guys on my course that will be MDD's. Allerton, Newton Heath and Heaton. They are with us for the first 6 weeks.

Champo

I asked the same as you 'pweb', got told it was 4 for Allerton and 1 for Newton Heath.
Still waiting for email about when and where part 2 will be.
There were 3 that got to the mmi the day I went but have no idea how many passed. Likewise, don't know how many got through the day before. Would be interesting to know how many vacancies were actually being filled and when.

Where they all for Depot Driver?
I was told there were 30 Interviews about half would get through to assessments. 5 jobs, 4 for Allerton, 1 for Newton Heath.

Bluebri

I asked the same as you 'pweb', got told it was 4 for Allerton and 1 for Newton Heath.
Still waiting for email about when and where part 2 will be.

Where they all for Depot Driver?
I was told there were 30 Interviews about half would get through to assessments. 5 jobs, 4 for Allerton, 1 for Newton Heath.

The four on my day were all for Allerton MDD. Don't know how many passed with me, but only two of the others got to the MMI. As far as I was told, the other 4 were also for MDD, but again, have no clue as to how many passed or got through to the MMI. I was interviewed by Paul, the Depot Manager, and for Allerton, he said that they were looking for 4-5 to replace outgoing MDD's who were moving to mainline, but also that in the next 12 months, they would also be taking more due to the depot expansion. Allerton is going to be a big depot soon. I would imagine anyone who passes the whole assessment now will get a vacancy in the next 12 months as it doesn't sound like too many will be in the talent pool. The biggest issue is availability of training courses and venues.
I don't know about anyone else, but heart jumps every time my phone rings to tell me I have an email. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.