• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

traingeek97

Do Southeastern drivers who sign Tonbridge to Redhill also sign down to Reigate? There's been quite a few occasions recently where the service has been extended because of engineering works or due to the Covid reduced timetable. Would be good to know if they work it all the way or if they're relieved at Redhill by a Southern driver.

foggy69

Do Southeastern drivers who sign Tonbridge to Redhill also sign down to Reigate? There's been quite a few occasions recently where the service has been extended because of engineering works or due to the Covid reduced timetable. Would be good to know if they work it all the way or if they're relieved at Redhill by a Southern driver.

Tonbridge and Hastings crews do not sign Reigate

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

There would be no need for them to sign to Reigate, seeing as the diverted Southeastern service doesn't route that way.

seagull

Holyhead Avanti depot has been open and productive since Sunday 12th December 2021.

Traction:
Routes:
Holyhead - Crewe including Crewe L&NWR (Carriage Sidings)
Chester - Warrington BQ - Crewe

No Wrexham, Northwich or Llandudno apparently yet.

craigybagel

Established Member
Holyhead Avanti depot has been open and productive since Sunday 12th December 2021.

Traction:
Routes:
Holyhead - Crewe including Crewe L&NWR (Carriage Sidings)
Chester - Warrington BQ - Crewe

No Wrexham, Northwich or Llandudno apparently yet.
Thanks for that, good to get it confirmed! I'll update when next at a computer (this thread has got so long my phone can't cope with me editing it :lol: ).

Do you know if either Manchester and/or Liverpool have lost their Holyhead competency as a result?

seagull

Yes, Manchester no longer sign any of the route, but Liverpool still do and still retain work between Crewe and Holyhead.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thanks for that, good to get it confirmed! I'll update when next at a computer (this thread has got so long my phone can't cope with me editing it :lol: ).

Do you know if either Manchester and/or Liverpool have lost their Holyhead competency as a result?
Yes, Manchester no longer sign any of the route, but Liverpool still do and still retain work between Crewe and Holyhead.

Have added both in, so no need to worry! Thanks for the update.

headshot119

Established Member

I'm not sure if you saw my post on Page 15? But you seem to be knowledgeable about Avanti route knowledge.

In terms of Avanti a rather specific question. Which drivers depot(s) signs Chester - Sandbach via Middlewich as I know they have occasional booked diverts that way, and also some adhoc ones.

Do any Avanti drivers still sign Hartford to Greenbank via Hartford CLC? If so which depots?

seagull

I believe it is just Liverpool that sign Chester to Sandbach via Middlewich, and is still being discussed as to whether Holyhead will or won't have that diversion on the route card (it would surely make sense to have it).
Euston depot just sign Crewe-Chester main line, and Preston depot sign Crewe-Chester plus Warrington-Chester but not, AIUI, Middlewich.

As for Hartford to Greenbank I am unsure although many small diversions were removed from depots a few years back, including things like Earlestown and Colwich-Stone.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Has anyone been able to compile a sensible list of routes for freight firms based around their core contracts?

Appreciate you’ll have huge differences amongst individuals as they transfer stuff in they know personally but is there agreed core routes and traction for, say, DBC / FL / DRS?

tlionhart

Update for GWR:

Swindon sign 800 (although going through the process to train drivers up)

Paddington GWR is commencing Cardiff. This is link dependent, with route learning to be done by May. (Technically in a link 0, same with Bristols. As link 1 don’t sign Bristol. It’s a link called ‘dynamic’.)

coolrobert21

With SE Ramsgate (Non HS) depot, do they sign Sittingbourne to Sheerness as I noticed on RTT that there is a ECS from Ramsgate E.M.U.D to Sittingbourne which then becomes a service to Sheerness

godfreycomplex

Established Member
With SE Ramsgate (Non HS) depot, do they sign Sittingbourne to Sheerness as I noticed on RTT that there is a ECS from Ramsgate E.M.U.D to Sittingbourne which then becomes a service to Sheerness
Faversham crew take that one from Faversham I believe

cwjohnstone

Don't think Ramsgate sign Sittingbourne to Sheerness as it's predominantly a networker that serves it and I'm pretty sure Ramsgate are the only depot where the drivers don't sign networkers....

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Historically, Bromley North was operated with guards from Gillingham (!), but is now DOO.

Which leads on to current branches.

Strood to Tonbridge is signed by Gillingham and Tonbridge (drivers and guards).

Bromley North is exclusively Grove Park drivers.

Sittingbourne to Sheerness is solely Gillingham and Faversham drivers and guards.

Grvrdvicdr

Is the signing of Faversham to Dover via Canterbury East for Ramsgate HS drivers for route refresher purposes or for service use
Would be for diversions

Historically, Bromley North was operated with guards from Gillingham (!), but is now DOO.

Which leads on to current branches.

Strood to Tonbridge is signed by Gillingham and Tonbridge (drivers and guards).

Bromley North is exclusively Grove Park drivers.

Sittingbourne to Sheerness is solely Gillingham and Faversham drivers and guards.
Strood to tonbridge is also signed by slade green link 1

I believe it is just Liverpool that sign Chester to Sandbach via Middlewich, and is still being discussed as to whether Holyhead will or won't have that diversion on the route card (it would surely make sense to have it).
Euston depot just sign Crewe-Chester main line, and Preston depot sign Crewe-Chester plus Warrington-Chester but not, AIUI, Middlewich.

As for Hartford to Greenbank I am unsure although many small diversions were removed from depots a few years back, including things like Earlestown and Colwich-Stone.

The last time I had Hartford to Greenbank was over 20 years ago on the diverted and loco hauled 1510 Liverpool to Poole it was a Manchester XC crew who both signed it, which even back then came as a surprise. We lost an hour staggering via Middlewich (a proper trundle). Prior to that a few years earlier I had been on a Manchester to Edinburgh service one Sunday diverted via Stockport, Altrincham and Hartford. It was a rare curve back then but it used to surprise me how seldom it was used with drags via Manchester and buses to places like Warrington and Runcorn instead. Manchester had plenty of West Coast link drivers that kept Middlewich on their card for Holyhead to Euston diversions. Virgin were always much better than First and later Arriva for diverting that way and would generally divert every train simply on revised schedules. Arriva (now TFW) pretty much dispensed with Middlewich a few years after taking over from First with ever dwindling Chester crews that knew it. Do recall being on some of the last loco hauled ones planned and unplanned that were sent down there.

Middlewich has only ever had limited capacity but you could manage hourly each way between Crewe and Chester where no freight paths got in the way if needs be. The passing loop was handy and recall being stopped in it many times for workings going the other way.

Urobach

TPE: Manchester Piccadilly Scarborough link drivers are currently learning to Sheffield

craigybagel

Established Member
Do neither of Salisbury or Yeovil (South Western Railway) sign Salisbury-Westbury?
I suspect they do and I wrongly deleted the entire route from Salisbury to Bristol instead of just the section North of Westbury when both depots lost that work, but I'll wait for confirmation from someone at SWR first.