• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Northern: Blackpool North (ex-Northern link) also sign Blackburn to Settle Jct. via Hellifield. (This is likely to be lost from May.)
Thanks, I've thrown it in anyway. Hopefully someone will change their mind and I won't have to delete it again.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
A largeish update for GWR. My apologies I haven't been on top of this in the last 12months or so!

ALL GWR depots can have 769s removed as they will leave the company shortly and will not enter service.

Bristol GWR

They no longer sign Portsmouth Harbour. They now sign Paddington. All sign St Philips Marsh. Stoke Gifford is added.

Bristol Temple Meads HSS
No longer sign Hereford, Abergavenny or the North Cotswolds. They retain Cheltenham.

Bristol Parkway HSS

The current entry for GWR Bristol Parkway can now be marked as Bristol Parkway HSS. They sign Stoke Gifford and Worcester-Hereford. Also sign Newport to Hereford via Abergavenny

Bristol Parkway GWR

There is an additional GWR depot at Bristol Parkway, Bristol Parkway GWR
Traction
80x and 16x
Routes
BPW-Paddington via Hullavington
BPW-GCR (Learning)
GCR-Swindon via Kemble (learning)
BPW-BTM
BTM-Swindon via Box
BPW-Cardiff
Stoke Gifford

Swansea HSS

The current entry for GWR Swansea can now be marked as Swansea HSS. They no longer sign 2+4s or 16x. Pembroke Dock is link dependant, and currently being refreshed in readiness for this summer.

Swansea GWR

There is an additional GWR depot at Swansea, Swansea GWR.
Traction
80x
Routes
Swansea to London via Hullavington
Cardiff - Bridgend via VoG
Newport - Swindon via Gloucester
Bristol TM - Swindon via Box

Exeter GWR
Now (link dependant) sign Exeter-Pad via Berks & Hants. Also sign Exeter TMD

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
A largeish update for GWR. My apologies I haven't been on top of this in the last 12months or so!

ALL GWR depots can have 769s removed as they will leave the company shortly and will not enter service.

Bristol GWR

They no longer sign Portsmouth Harbour. They now sign Paddington. All sign St Philips Marsh. Stoke Gifford is added.

Bristol Temple Meads HSS
No longer sign Hereford, Abergavenny or the North Cotswolds. They retain Cheltenham.

Bristol Parkway HSS

The current entry for GWR Bristol Parkway can now be marked as Bristol Parkway HSS. They sign Stoke Gifford and Worcester-Hereford. Also sign Newport to Hereford via Abergavenny

Bristol Parkway GWR

Traction
80x and 16x
Routes
BPW-GCR (Learning)
BPW-BTM
BTM-Swindon via Box
BPW-Cardiff
Stoke Gifford

Swansea HSS

The current entry for GWR Swansea can now be marked as Swansea HSS. They no longer sign 2+4s or 16x. Pembroke Dock is link dependant, and currently being refreshed in readiness for this summer.

Swansea GWR

There is an additional GWR depot at Swansea, Swansea GWR.
Traction
80x
Routes
Swansea to London via Hullavington
Cardiff - Bridgend via VoG
Newport - Swindon via Gloucester
Bristol TM - Swindon via Box

Exeter GWR
Now (link dependant) sign Exeter-Pad via Berks & Hants. Also sign Exeter TMD
Thanks for the comprehensive update, I'll get those edited later today (a lot easier on computer than mobile phone :D).

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

I take it Paddington for GWR Bristol is top link only?

With the upcoming 2 hourly Carmarthen service, is it still only Swansea HSS that sign to Carmarthen or will GWR be learning it too?

Thanks again;

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks for the comprehensive update, I'll get those edited later today (a lot easier on computer than mobile phone :D).

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

I take it Paddington for GWR Bristol is top link only?

With the upcoming 2 hourly Carmarthen service, is it still only Swansea HSS that sign to Carmarthen or will GWR be learning it too?

Thanks again;
Yep, top link only. But you've got "some routes link dependant" on there already so that covers it. I could break it down link by link, but there's 6 links now so I'd rather not!

Swansea HSS only for now. They've still got plenty of capacity for that work without having to give it to the GWR side.

All of this may change in time and I'll do my best to keep it more up to date!

craigybagel

Established Member
Yep, top link only. But you've got "some routes link dependant" on there already so that covers it. I could break it down link by link, but there's 6 links now so I'd rather not!
Yes that's a fair point :D looks like a decent depot for variety once you get in the top link anyway
Swansea HSS only for now. They've still got plenty of capacity for that work without having to give it to the GWR side.

All of this may change in time and I'll do my best to keep it more up to date!
Thanks, it's appreciated.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Yes that's a fair point :D looks like a decent depot for variety once you get in the top link anyway

Thanks, it's appreciated.
Well of a sort. The top link guys only seem to be doing a lot of Paddingtons and IETs to Taunton at the moment. Might balance out when we're all trained on the 80x!

The way the links are split means the variety is there on paper but often not in reality

Melancholia

Bristol Parkway GWR

Traction
80x and 16x
Routes
BPW-GCR (Learning)
BPW-BTM
BTM-Swindon via Box
BPW-Cardiff
Stoke Gifford
Sweet, thank you. According to someone I know, Bristol Parkway GWR also sign the Avonmouth/Severn Beach branch line, is that correct?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Sweet, thank you. According to someone I know, Bristol Parkway GWR also sign the Avonmouth/Severn Beach branch line, is that correct?
Ahh yes. Error on my part. Forgot they signed it as we're always covering their work down there!

Bow Fell

Liverpool Lime Street drivers:

Link 1 have now lost all their work between Wigan North Western and Preston. So officially link 1 now only sign no further than Wigan (via St Helens Central and Newton-Le-Willows & Golborne Junction).

So Wigan North Western - Blackpool North is now link dependant.

They’ve gained more Stalybridge and Chester work to make up for it.

Now just because they have no work, I’m not 100% if it’s come off the route cards (yet)

craigybagel

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street drivers:

Link 1 have now lost all their work between Wigan North Western and Preston. So officially link 1 now only sign no further than Wigan (via St Helens Central and Newton-Le-Willows & Golborne Junction).

So Wigan North Western - Blackpool North is now link dependant.

They’ve gained more Stalybridge and Chester work to make up for it.

Now just because they have no work, I’m not 100% if it’s come off the route cards (yet)
Thanks, I've taken it off for now as that seems the most likely scenario.
SWR Strawberry Hill no longer sign East Putney.
Thanks, updated.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Out of curiosity.. what does link dependant mean
Train crew rosters at the majority of depots are split in to smaller "links"
This means that at each depot, there may be 2/3/4+ separate rotas for drivers to follow. Each of these is called a link.

Link dependant means that not every "link" in a depot will do all of the routes and traction worked by a particular depot. These can be seniority based, progressive or just simply geographical based on depot need at a given time.

boxerdog

Update for WMT:
Coventry Depot Add Class 196 (Link Dependant)
Leamington Depot Add Class 196

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
As of the end of the last financial year (31st March), Redhill GTR drivers no longer sign beyond Reigate towards Reading.

From the May timetable change GWR loose all route knowledge via Abergavenny.

craigybagel

Established Member
As of the end of the last financial year (31st March), Redhill GTR drivers no longer sign beyond Reigate towards Reading.
GWR taking all the work in-house? Not too surprising, there's not many cases left of TOCs providing traincrew for other TOCs.
From the May timetable change GWR loose all route knowledge via Abergavenny.
Now this one does surprise me - if only because I know they had drivers route learning that way only a few weeks ago!

newtownmgr

GWR taking all the work in-house? Not too surprising, there's not many cases left of TOCs providing traincrew for other TOCs.

Now this one does surprise me - if only because I know they had drivers route learning that way only a few weeks ago!
GWR are cutting back the services from Hereford in the May timetable. At present the stock for the 04:49 stables at Hereford & is worked by Worcester. The 05:23 & 06:40 come ECS from Bristol.

From May the 04:49 no longer runs.
05:23 is Worcester worked using the stabled set.
06:40 starts from Malvern & is ECS from Bristol via Worcester.

In the evening there only 2 Herefords instead of 3 with the missing one terminating at Malvern. Of the other 2, 1 returns late to London & 1 stables.

iphone76

A few changes for MTR Elizabeth Line from 21st May 2023

Ilford - will be getting regular jobs to Heathrow so are now the same as Gidea Park and Shenfield.

Gidea Park and Shenfield Drivers are now starting to learn the West Outer route to Reading, although still no booked jobs. Knowledge to be retained via retention release days.

Drivers from opposite sides of the route, will retain (regain) knowledge into the opposite high level station via retention release days. They will have no booked work into each terminal.

So AW, PLU, ILF, GP and SNF will sign Paddington High Level and

AW, PLU, OOC and MH will sign Liverpool Street High Level.

This is to ensure in the case of disruption, any driver diverted away from the cos, can drive into any High Level station, and in the case of Maidenhead, can drive from the cos to Stratford if the branch to Abbey Wood is blocked. I hope that makes sense.

Apparently, the plan is now back on that all drivers will sign all routes, however this is now a work in progress again.

AS43

Just a quick tidy up for GA Cambridge, in relation to the impending loss of King's Lynn work...

Traction:
720, 745/755

Routes:
Ely-Liverpool Street via Clapton, Southbury and Stratford
Broxbourne Junction-Hertford East
Stansted North/South Junctions-Stansted Airport

Also diversions via South Tottenham and High Meads, plus Cambridge, Bishops Stortford and Orient Way sidings.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the latest updates. I'll be on here as soon after the timetable change day to update things then.

Geeves

Established Member
Quick couple from Manchester Victoria

Two to cross off from the new timetable, Victoria longer sign -

Stalybridge to Huddersfield
Stockport to Hazel Grove

Cheers!

Geeves

Established Member
I forgot to add, all the depots that signed Kirkby, this is now cut back (or extended in Merseyrail's case) to the new Headbolt Lane station, since MerseyRail expanded their empire!

redbutton

A couple of updates:

Southern London Bridge drivers lost Streatham-Sutton via Wimbledon during the pandemic, the service was suspended in the first lockdown and the company made no arrangements for drivers to refresh it before everyone lost their competence.

Southern Redhill drivers recently lost Redhill to Reading when the contract with GWR was terminated.

craigybagel

Established Member
I forgot to add, all the depots that signed Kirkby, this is now cut back (or extended in Merseyrail's case) to the new Headbolt Lane station, since MerseyRail expanded their empire!
Thanks, I'll change that over when Headbolt Lane finally opens
A couple of updates:

Southern London Bridge drivers lost Streatham-Sutton via Wimbledon during the pandemic, the service was suspended in the first lockdown and the company made no arrangements for drivers to refresh it before everyone lost their competence.

Southern Redhill drivers recently lost Redhill to Reading when the contract with GWR was terminated.
Thanks, I've amended them both now.