• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

InkyScrolls

Northern Trains Ltd. Skipton depot amendments:

• All conductors sign all routes
• For drivers only Ribblehead - Carlisle is link dependent (only A link sign beyond RHD)
• Conductors also sign 195s, 150/1s and 150/2s (drivers only sign the 'core' 331, 333, 158, and conductors are likely to lose the 150 classes shortly)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Northern Trains Ltd. Skipton depot amendments:

• All conductors sign all routes
• For drivers only Ribblehead - Carlisle is link dependent (only A link sign beyond RHD)
• Conductors also sign 195s, 150/1s and 150/2s (drivers only sign the 'core' 331, 333, 158, and conductors are likely to lose the 150 classes shortly)
Cheers, drivers info duly updated.

8J

A few amendments to make.

TPE

Manchester Piccadilly now sign Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield and are expected to have work over there from the December TT change

Sheffield drivers now sign Manchester Piccadilly - Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington Central

Cleethorpes drivers are currently learning 68/Mk5 traction

Liverpool drivers are currently learning Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Hebden Bridge

WMT - Northampton drivers do not sign Class 319 units and Crewe drivers currently have no work from Rugby - Northampton.

WMT - Northampton drivers do not sign Class 319 units and Crewe drivers currently have no work from Rugby - Northampton.

craigybagel

Established Member
A few amendments to make.

TPE

Manchester Piccadilly now sign Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield and are expected to have work over there from the December TT change

Sheffield drivers now sign Manchester Piccadilly - Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington Central

Cleethorpes drivers are currently learning 68/Mk5 traction

Liverpool drivers are currently learning Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Hebden Bridge

Cheers - all duly updated.

T-Karmel

An update for LO Stratford depot is that they already do Romford - Upminster, and they also go from Romford to Ilford depot.

T-Karmel

Cheers, updated
That's great. They don't however go from Stratford to Ilford depot. Only from Romford - after the day of running on Romford - Upminster, and obviously in the morning before the service starts from Ilford to Romford.

craigybagel

Established Member
That's great. They don't however go from Stratford to Ilford depot. Only from Romford - after the day of running on Romford - Upminster, and obviously in the morning before the service starts from Ilford to Romford.
Ah ok - I'd assumed if they signed Ilford they'd sign from there to Stratford to swap units out - or do they just rely on Chingford drivers doing that? Either way I'll take that part out, my apologies.

T-Karmel

Ah ok - I'd assumed if they signed Ilford they'd sign from there to Stratford to swap units out - or do they just rely on Chingford drivers doing that? Either way I'll take that part out, my apologies.
You're right, that's done by Chingford drivers.

craigybagel

Established Member
I've been through today and made the following updates:

Greater Anglia: Removal of 317 and 379 from all depots
GWR: addition of 769 training to start soon for Reading and Swindon
Southern: removal of 455 from all depots
TfW: updates of training on new fleets at various depots
WMR: updated Shrewsbury to show 196 training now commenced.

If there are any further updates people know of, or if I'm mistaken in any of the above please let me know - either replies to this thread or privately through PM are always gratefully received.

Also I'm interested in updating the Southeastern depots to give a full listing of routes covered by each depot and not just a generic "metro routes" but I don't know the network well enough so if anyone is able to assist I'd be especially grateful.

Thanks as always to everyone for helping to make this list as complete as it is.

Geeves

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly now sign (link dependent)
Piccadilly via the chord and Victoria to Newton Heath
Piccadilly to Newton Heath via Ashburys

InkyScrolls

Question: They aren't shown as such, but do Shrewsbury (TfW) sign Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli? If not, which depot works the 0625 weekdays SHR - AYW?

craigybagel

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly now sign (link dependent)
Piccadilly via the chord and Victoria to Newton Heath
Piccadilly to Newton Heath via Ashburys
Thanks, duly updated.
Question: They aren't shown as such, but do Shrewsbury (TfW) sign Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli? If not, which depot works the 0625 weekdays SHR - AYW?
Only Machynlleth and Pwllheli sign the Cambrian for drivers. That service is a Mach driver who comes across in a taxi. In the past Crewe used to sign Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth, but they lost it when ERTMS was introduced.

InkyScrolls

Thanks, duly updated.

Only Machynlleth and Pwllheli sign the Cambrian for drivers. That service is a Mach driver who comes across in a taxi. In the past Crewe used to sign Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth, but they lost it when ERTMS was introduced.
Ah, makes sense - quite a long taxi ride though!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Thanks, duly updated.

If I may ask a question RE Shrewsbury drivers aswell, it's down as signing Shrewsbury - Manchester direct, but not as planned to sign Mk4s and 67s. Is there a plan to change this when it becomes bi hourly Mk4?

craigybagel

Established Member
If I may ask a question RE Shrewsbury drivers aswell, it's down as signing Shrewsbury - Manchester direct, but not as planned to sign Mk4s and 67s. Is there a plan to change this when it becomes bi hourly Mk4?
No plans at present. Shrewsbury only work a small amount of trips to Manchester.

the sniper

Established Member
Thanks, duly updated.

Did Shrewsbury not sign Aberystwyth pre-ERTMS?

craigybagel

Established Member
Did Shrewsbury not sign Aberystwyth pre-ERTMS?
Back in Central Trains days I believe their depot did - that depot is now operated by WMR with a vastly reduced route card from their glory days. The TfW depot was created from scratch by Arriva Trains Wales, and their drivers have never signed Aberystwyth (although the guards their still do).

the sniper

Established Member
Back in Central Trains days I believe their depot did - that depot is now operated by WMR with a vastly reduced route card from their glory days. The TfW depot was created from scratch by Arriva Trains Wales, and their drivers have never signed Aberystwyth (although the guards their still do).

I thought so, thanks. The Salop men paid the highest price for Central Trains' failures... Tbh, I hadn't really thought about it, but imagined the TfW depot was split out of the Central Trains depot for Wales & Borders, rather than started afresh by ATW.

newtownmgr

I thought so, thanks. The Salop men paid the highest price for Central Trains' failures... Tbh, I hadn't really thought about it, but imagined the TfW depot was split out of the Central Trains depot for Wales & Borders, rather than started afresh by ATW.
Not just Shrewsbury. They lost the Cambrian contract work the same time as Worcester lost the Oxford contract work. Both depots lost Nottingham work at the end of Central Trains with Shrewsbury also losing Leicester & Worcester losing Cardiff work. Both depots have since lost other work.

craigybagel

Established Member
Not just Shrewsbury. They lost the Cambrian contract work the same time as Worcester lost the Oxford contract work. Both depots lost Nottingham work at the end of Central Trains with Shrewsbury also losing Leicester & Worcester losing Cardiff work. Both depots have since lost other work.
Indeed - even as late as they final years of London Midland Shrewsbury lost its Rugeley work, and I assume the loss at Worcester you're referring to is Gloucester?

class ep-09

Worcester Shrub Hill GWR grade - most now sign entire route from Hereford to Paddington via Worcester, Oxford , Didcot and Reading .
Some also sign Worcester - Gloucester - Swindon - Didcot - Paddington .
There is a plan that all will sign both routes to London by May 2023 timetable .

Handful also sign Gloucester - Bristol Pkw and Bristol Pkw - Swindon .

Both HSS and GWR Worcester driver grades sign triangle : Henwick turn back sidings - Worcester Foregate Street - Tunnel Jn - Worcester Shrub Hill for “turning around “ purposes .

craigybagel

Established Member
Worcester Shrub Hill GWR grade - most now sign entire route from Hereford to Paddington via Worcester, Oxford , Didcot and Reading .
Some also sign Worcester - Gloucester - Swindon - Didcot - Paddington .
There is a plan that all will sign both routes to London by May 2023 timetable .

Handful also sign Gloucester - Bristol Pkw and Bristol Pkw - Swindon .

Both HSS and GWR Worcester driver grades sign triangle : Henwick turn back sidings - Worcester Foregate Street - Tunnel Jn - Worcester Shrub Hill for “turning around “ purposes .
Thanks, duly updated.

Established Member
Any chance we could add a FOC page?

I think this was discussed before, but it was felt the FOC route cards are too big and change too often for it to be practical. Having spoken to a few freight blokes about what they sign, I can well understand that.

A pity as it would make interesting reading!

iphone76

From 6th November a few changes for MTR Elizabeth Line.

Gidea Park, Shenfield and Ilford lose Paddington High Level Station.

Old Oak and Maidenhead lose Liverpool Street High Level Station.

Abbey Wood and Plumstead lose both Paddington and Liverpool Street High level stations.

To compensate, standby drivers will be based at Stratford and Ealing Broadway for any services unexpectedly diverted into the High Level stations.

kmbfwpa

For GWR:

Plymouth GWR depot amendment. For routes link 1 includes Taunton to Reading via B&H

Plymouth HSS do not sign 158 traction

craigybagel

Established Member
From 6th November a few changes for MTR Elizabeth Line.

Gidea Park, Shenfield and Ilford lose Paddington High Level Station.

Old Oak and Maidenhead lose Liverpool Street High Level Station.

Abbey Wood and Plumstead lose both Paddington and Liverpool Street High level stations.

To compensate, standby drivers will be based at Stratford and Ealing Broadway for any services unexpectedly diverted into the High Level stations.
Thanks. Aside from the high level platforms, does every depot sign all routes now?
For GWR:

Plymouth GWR depot amendment. For routes link 1 includes Taunton to Reading via B&H

Plymouth HSS do not sign 158 traction
Thanks, duly updated.