• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Guard Depot, Route and Traction cards

jh1989

Northern Guards - Hull

Traction: 150, 153, 155, 158, 170

Hull - Scarborough
Hull - York (via ECML and via Sherburn)
Hull - Leeds
Leeds - York (via Micklefield)
Hull - Doncaster (via Goole and via Selby/ECML)
Doncaster - Sheffield (express via Thrybergh and via Swinton)
Doncaster - Sheffield (stopper via Rotherham)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
East Midlands Railway - Lincoln Central
Add in Cleethorpes to Barton-upon-Humber, they have been learning this for approx 2 months now in preparation to take over from TPE.

LowLevel

Established Member
Believe New St WMR Senior Conductors are:

Brum - Northampton (might be Coventry)
Brum - Wolverhampton
Brum - Rugeley
Redditch/Bromsgrove - Lichfield
Brum - Liverpool (after a while)
Brum - Shrewsbury (after a while)

323 and 350 basic traction, 170 in the higher links when you learn Shrewsbury.

EMR needs updating - 153s now withdrawn, Lincoln now work Cleethorpes - Barton on Humber, all Regional depots now sign 170.

_toommm_

Established Member

Brum - Wolverhampton
Brum - Rugeley

EMR needs updating - 153s now withdrawn, Lincoln now work Cleethorpes - Barton on Humber, all Regional depots now sign 170.

That's been amended, cheers :)

Sky2Rail.LIV

Brum - Wolverhampton
Brum - Rugeley

That's been amended, cheers :)
Thanks very much, I am really looking forward to this new career! :)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Presumably that means TPE Cleethorpes have or will shortly be signing off the branch and 153s.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Well, in 6 months they won't as it takes that long to drop off a driver/guard's route card, but basically yes.

Unless the TOC decide you no longer sign - once you're not getting notices about it in your notice case then it would be brave to say you signed it.

craigybagel

Established Member
Some updates at TfW:

MKIVs are now signed by virtually all at Holyhead and Shrewsbury. They will also no longer be link dependant at Cardiff as all conductors will be signing them, though completing all that training will take a while. Llandudno Junction will not be signing them.

230 training is well underway at Chester and Shrewsbury.

197 training is due to start imminently, and will eventually be signed by all conductors at all depots except the Valleys (Cardiff Valleys, Rhymney, Treherbert).

Crewe conductors have lost the Stoke route from the Manchester diversions, and I believe both Crewe and Chester are losing the Bescot diversions as well (Shrewsbury will be maintaining that knowledge for now).

_toommm_

Established Member
Some updates at TfW:

MKIVs are now signed by virtually all at Holyhead and Shrewsbury. They will also no longer be link dependant at Cardiff as all conductors will be signing them, though completing all that training will take a while. Llandudno Junction will not be signing them.

230 training is well underway at Chester and Shrewsbury.

197 training is due to start imminently, and will eventually be signed by all conductors at all depots except the Valleys (Cardiff Valleys, Rhymney, Treherbert).

Crewe conductors have lost the Stoke route from the Manchester diversions, and I believe both Crewe and Chester are losing the Bescot diversions as well (Shrewsbury will be maintaining that knowledge for now).

Smashing, thank you. So presumably the Holyhead to Cardiff will be Cardiff to Chester from Chester Depot, then Chester to Holyhead from Holyhead Depot (in which case, Cardiff also sign Shrewsbury to Chester which I need to add, or do Shrewsbury cover the small gap between Shrewsbury and Chester on the premier services?)

Choo choo 66

Gwr-
Par: sign ‘255’ (short hst) 150, 158
Truro-falmouth
Par-newquay
Liskeard-looe
Plymouth-gunnislake
Penzance-Exeter st Davids

Penzance:
Most have turned to train managers now, the limited conductors sign the same apart from iet
Class 800/2, 255, 150, 158
St Erth-St Ives
Truro-Falmouth
Penzance-Exeter st davids

plymouth:
Class 800/2, 255, 150, 158
Par-newquay
Liskeard-looe
Plymouth-Gunnislake
Newton abbot- Paignton
Penzance- London paddington via westbury, Bristol (box only)
Westbury- swindon via melksham
Westbury- bath via trowbridge

craigybagel

Established Member
Smashing, thank you. So presumably the Holyhead to Cardiff will be Cardiff to Chester from Chester Depot, then Chester to Holyhead from Holyhead Depot (in which case, Cardiff also sign Shrewsbury to Chester which I need to add, or do Shrewsbury cover the small gap between Shrewsbury and Chester on the premier services?)
Both Cardiff and Shrewsbury sign all the way from Cardiff to Chester, both via Wrexham and via Crewe, and share the MKIV work over that section between them. Holyhead work all services between Chester and Holyhead. Chester don't sign MKIVs nor are there any plans for them to do so.

wobman

On Moderation
Both Cardiff and Shrewsbury sign all the way from Cardiff to Chester, both via Wrexham and via Crewe, and share the MKIV work over that section between them. Holyhead work all services between Chester and Holyhead. Chester don't sign MKIVs nor are there any plans for them to do so.
That's when the Mk4s actually run, they haven't been behaving lately. At least That knacker has moved out of Chester yard after blocking No 2 road for ages.

There was a plan to get Ludo Jn drivers trained up on Mk4s to help out Holyhead with cross dept cover, but that's gone quiet as 197 training will be great priority next year along all the Northern depots.

craigybagel

Established Member
That's when the Mk4s actually run, they haven't been behaving lately. At least That knacker has moved out of Chester yard after blocking No 2 road for ages.

There was a plan to get Ludo Jn drivers trained up on Mk4s to help out Holyhead with cross dept cover, but that's gone quiet as 197 training will be great priority next year along all the Northern depots.
The knacker needed moving to Cardiff at 35mph max which was pretty difficult to path - and then a driver and guard needed to be available at those particular hours over and above those required to run the every day service. I'm amazed they got it moved before Christmas :lol:

By the time the 197 training is complete they'll have a few years experience with the MKIVs and hopefully a better idea of whether or not they need to extend training to other depots. As far as this thread is concerned, Crewe guards are almost certainly going to learning MKIVs at some point next year, but as that's not 100% confirmed yet I haven't mentioned it as being something worth putting on the list. I will of course update if that ever changes.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
London Northwestern Railway (West Midlands Trains)
Bletchley

Traction:
230, 319, 350
Routes:
London Euston - Birmingham New Street (both via and avoiding Northampton)
Bletchley - Bedford

I'm reasonably confident the above is accurate (I wouldn't have posted it otherwise) but if I've mucked up any details or there's been a change that I'm not aware of feel free to correct me.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hi guys I’m thinking of applying for the Trainee Senior Conductor at Coventry with West Midlands Trains. Just wanted to ask what routes do West Midlands Trains Coventry Senior Conductors sign?

Thanks.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi guys I’m thinking of applying for the Trainee Senior Conductor at Coventry with West Midlands Trains. Just wanted to ask what routes do West Midlands Trains Coventry Senior Conductors sign?

Thanks.

That's a gap currently - we rely on user submissions so unless someone knows, it will be blank on this thread.

dalesrail

I notice Northen Blackpool is not up yet. Some guards are under FNW t&cs whilst others are under TPE. Routes and traction differ depending under which terms and conditions you are working under. New recruits can join under either and this is mentioned in the job spec.

Ex TPE traction 195/319/331. Possibly 156, 158 but subject to confirmation.

Ex FNW 150(1/2)/153 (possibly now lapsed)/156/158/195/319/331

Route card ex TPE
Blackpool North - Preston
Preston -Barrow/Windermere
Preston - Man Vic/ Picc via Chorley
Preston - Man Picc via Wigan/ Chat Moss
Man Picc - Airport

Route card ex FNW

Blackpool North/South - Preston
Preston - Ormskirk
Preston - Colne
Preston - York via Bradford/Leeds/Micklefield
Preston - Man Vic/Picc via Chorley
Man Picc - Airport
Preston - Lime Street via Wigan/St Helens Central

I believe they did sign Preston - Morecambe via Lancaster, but this may have lapsed. Please feel free to comment if there are any mistakes or omissions.

Further to the above, I think some ex FNW guards from Blackpool may still sign from Blackburn up to Carlisle via the S&C on Sundays only.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Does anyone know what routes Northern currently operate out of Liverpool Lime Street?

It’s in my second post on this thread:

Liverpool Lime Street:
Traction: 150/1, 150/2, 156, 195, 319, 323, 331

Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington Central
Liverpool to Manchester via Earlestown (Oxford Road & Victoria)
Liverpool to Wigan, Preston, Blackpool North via St Helens Central and Golborne
Manchester to Manchester Airport
Earlestown to Chester via Warrington BQ
Helsby to Ellesmere Port
Liverpool South Parkway to Helsby via Runcorn

2L70

On Moderation

Thanks.
Coventry - Leamington
Coventry - Northampton
Coventry - New St - Wolverhampton
Cross City Line
172, 321, 350 Traction

_toommm_

Established Member
Coventry - Leamington
Coventry - Northampton
Coventry - New St - Wolverhampton
Cross City Line
172, 321, 350 Traction

Definitely won't be signing a 321 with WMR, but other than that it's been added to the main thread ;)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Definitely won't be signing a 321 with WMR, but other than that it's been added to the main thread ;)
Think that was a typo for 323. Couldn't do much on the Cross City line otherwise!