• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dismal Stations Which Give A Poor First Impression Of The Town They Serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I like Coventry as well. It has a very unified style and looks all the better for it. Nice period piece.
Another rare agreement with 'yorksrob'.

I have always liked Coventry, which has retained its architectural integrity very well. The approaches have been greatly improved and there are many useful bus links immediately adjacent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I have always liked Coventry, which has retained its architectural integrity very well. The approaches have been greatly improved and there are many useful bus links immediately adjacent.

I recall Stafford is very similar - both classic 1960s "mini Eustons".

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Well, it's always nice to agree with someone with whom one doesn't normally !

jupiter

Both Branksome and Pokesdown are pretty dire. Have they never heard of weed killer or paint?

city dweller

The Cllr in charge of regeneration etc has posted a video from inside the station.

Last edited:

GoneSouth

It's vastly improved on what it was.
Has it? Last time I used it the layout of the station was a lot more confusing than the pre rebuild days. I’m not a fan 8-)

I disagree. The concourse is now a stupid design where you can’t access some platforms from others if you’re at the wrong end of the station.
Agreed, it’s ridiculous and the signage and lighting are rubbish

Journeyman

Established Member
Has it? Last time I used it the layout of the station was a lot more confusing than the pre rebuild days. I’m not a fan.
It's more accessible, the roof lets in more light, there's more capacity and better facilities. However, I acknowledge that after 12 years of regular use, it still confuses me quite often.

GoneSouth

Can I put in a vote for Cheltenham Spa please. Underwhelming scruffy little place yet parts of the town are lovely and the station itself is what greets thousands of race goers every year.

From personal experince any station on the west coast mainline is a dump plenty of money spent on power upgrades etc and shiny new trains but nothing on the stations even the suburban ones near london haven't been smartened up ,.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From personal experince any station on the west coast mainline is a dump plenty of money spent on power upgrades etc and shiny new trains but nothing on the stations even the suburban ones near london haven't been smartened up ,.

Most of them have to some extent. New signage, paint and some new accessibility features. The GW is an embarrassment in comparison.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Crewe definitely looks a lot more cared for than twenty years ago.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Can I ask when you last went to Carlisle (which now looks much smarter than I ever recall)?

Meanwhile, back at the long-running 'favourite' of Birmingham New Street I can never understand why people can't get their head round it. Right back to its original opening and extension in the 19th century there has alway been 'one footbridge' giving access to and between all platforms, even when it crossed the Queens Drive roadway between the old L&NWR and Midland stations. The 1960s station perpetuated the concept but the single bridge was now within the 'paid area' and public access across the station existed in a different form through the Palisades shopping centre above. The 2000s rebuild has also provided an 'all platforms' interchange footbridge within the paid area - at the 'B' end. Public access across the station has now been restored to concourse level from Stephenson Street across the steps down to Station Street and Hill Street. Much better.:)

To cope with record numbers of trains and passengers as well as meeting modern standards of emergency egress there are now additional platform accesses at the 'A' ends. However, these cannot be 'continuous' whilst still allowing for direct access to the Bull Ring, Moor Street, bus stops and so forth.

GoneSouth

Can I ask when you last went to Carlisle (which now looks much smarter than I ever recall)?

Meanwhile, back at the long-running 'favourite' of Birmingham New Street I can never understand why people can't get their head round it. Right back to its original opening and extension in the 19th century there has alway been 'one footbridge' giving access to and between all platforms, even when it crossed the Queens Drive roadway between the old L&NWR and Midland stations. The 1960s station perpetuated the concept but the single bridge was now within the 'paid area' and public access across the station existed in a different form through the Palisades shopping centre above. The 2000s rebuild has also provided an 'all platforms' interchange footbridge within the paid area - at the 'B' end. Public access across the station has now been restored to concourse level from Stephenson Street across the steps down to Station Street and Hill Street. Much better.:)

To cope with record numbers of trains and passengers as well as meeting modern standards of emergency egress there are now additional platform accesses at the 'A' ends. However, these cannot be 'continuous' whilst still allowing for direct access to the Bull Ring, Moor Street, bus stops and so forth.
Which is all very lovely if your connecting trains are all at the B end which mine never seem to be ;)

i get it but it was much better when the connecting bridge was closer to the centre of the platforms as they aren’t very wide and it can feel like a bit of a scrum to get all the way down to the B end sometimes. I stand firm on the signage and lighting being rubbish though!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That and the new platforms were grafted on in an awkward way. Rather than a footbridge direct from the booking office to the new platforms the station has a footbridge at one end, So if you are at the London end of the train and it arrives into one of the new platforms you have a long walk from train to exit. Made all the more annoying by the fact that when you get down from the footbridge you can see a gate to the outside, but it's locked shut most of the time because there is no ticket checking infrastructure there.

I guess it was the only thing they could do within the constraints of the existing station, but it's still not the best arrival experience.

It was the only place the footbridge could go without modifying the listed station building.

Falcon1200

Established Member

Carlisle has recently had a lot of money spent on the roof, and currently Platform 1 is being resurfaced. Even without that it is a great station. Motherwell is presently being rebuilt. I have always found Lancaster a pleasant place to spend time, and of course Glasgow Central is one of our best stations, on any line.

Djgr

Established Member

So the problems lie with the signage and the weird lounges concept.

greyman42

Established Member
It's a historic city, a historic looking station is a good fit!

Please tell me they are not going to put one of those hideous cheapo blow up plastic roof efforts on it, that would ruin it.
Hopefully, it would never get passed the planners in Edinburgh.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
So the problems [at Birmingham New Street] lie with the signage and the weird lounges concept.
The signage continues to evolve with the various lounge 'colours' now much more obvious than they used to be.

As with the 'one bridge' concept described earlier (which is blindingly obvious once you 'get it') I am staggered at why people seem to find the lounges 'weird', 'confusing' and so on.

At a large terminal station (such as Waterloo or Brighton) you would normally wait on the concourse rather than the platform from which your train would eventually depart unless you turned up at the last minute. This is equivalent to the 'lounge'.

Birmingham New Street is obviously a through station so can't have a concourse that is at the same level and quite so close and convenient to the platforms. The nature of through trains means that dwell times are typically short and thus trains at any given platform may depart to various destinations within a short space of time. It is thus comparatively easy to get on the wrong train if you are waiting at platform level.

A particular point about New Street is that its underground situation and inevitable narrow platforms make it a less comfortable environment to wait in terms of fumes, noise, lighting, access to toilets and refreshments. The lounges greatly mitigate these issues until it is appropriate to descend close to departure time.

Although rather a different station with different issues the lounge concept also works quite well at Manchester Piccadilly for Platforms 13 & 14.

Djgr

Established Member
The signage continues to evolve with the various lounge 'colours' now much more obvious than they used to be.

As with the 'one bridge' concept described earlier (which is blindingly obvious once you 'get it') I am staggered at why people seem to find the lounges 'weird', 'confusing' and so on.

At a large terminal station (such as Waterloo or Brighton) you would normally wait on the concourse rather than the platform from which your train would eventually depart unless you turned up at the last minute. This is equivalent to the 'lounge'.

Birmingham New Street is obviously a through station so can't have a concourse that is at the same level and quite so close and convenient to the platforms. The nature of through trains means that dwell times are typically short and thus trains at any given platform may depart to various destinations within a short space of time. It is thus comparatively easy to get on the wrong train if you are waiting at platform level.

A particular point about New Street is that its underground situation and inevitable narrow platforms make it a less comfortable environment to wait in terms of fumes, noise, lighting, access to toilets and refreshments. The lounges greatly mitigate these issues until it is appropriate to descend close to departure time.

Although rather a different station with different issues the lounge concept also works quite well at Manchester Piccadilly for Platforms 13 & 14.
Perhaps I would call them zones.

To my knowledge Manchester Piccadilly signage never directs people to a particular lounge?

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
Both Branksome and Pokesdown are pretty dire. Have they never heard of weed killer or paint?
so true - I have used Branksome a few times to access Poole retail park from Bournemouth (Lansdowne) which is just outside the station.

These urban stations have only 5 carriages platform and not even another person in sight when I wait for the train. I expect such stations to have full-length platforms, manned, and a train stopping every 15 minutes to serve local commuting passengers.

camflyer

Crewe definitely looks a lot more cared for than twenty years ago.

Anyone approaching at Crewe for the first time must think that they are arriving at a really important city. Step outside the station and you are met with a post-industrial wasteland. I've always thought that Crewe should be a really successful town given its good connections

Dr Hoo

Established Member
To my knowledge Manchester Piccadilly signage never directs people to a particular lounge?
There is only one ('satellite') lounge, for Platforms 13 & 14. It makes perfect sense when you get there from the concourse/ barrier line/ footbridge.

Basically you are best to wait in the lounge, at bridge level, in shelter and able to sit, buy a coffee or visit the facilities until 'your' train is close by. There is a sort of 'red-amber-green' arrangement with the departure board that helps to provide reassurance and advice in equal measure.

Very much a 'horse for the course'.

D6130

Established Member
Carlisle has recently had a lot of money spent on the roof, and currently Platform 1 is being resurfaced. Even without that it is a great station. Motherwell is presently being rebuilt. I have always found Lancaster a pleasant place to spend time, and of course Glasgow Central is one of our best stations, on any line.
I fully agree!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

I fully agree!

Me also, and although I can't speak for Motherwell as I've not stopped off there of recent, the other three stations are quite a contrast to some of the more careworn-looking stations to the South on the WCML. :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Anyone approaching at Crewe for the first time must think that they are arriving at a really important city. Step outside the station and you are met with a post-industrial wasteland. I've always thought that Crewe should be a really successful town given its good connections

I don't know enough about the area to comment, but I note that Crewe town centre is a hefty walk from the station.

Anyhow, I really like the station and hope it doesn't get rebuilt/relocated or whatever.

William3000

I’m with you! This thread shows how different people’s impressions can be!

KIRKGATE - compared to the 90s seems pretty nice to me now! And is an example of something else to me: “Stations Which are OK but Where You’d Be Best Not to Step Outside the Door”

HUDDERSFIELD - I’m biased, but to me is the exact opposite of this thread - an amazing station that punches far above the weight of the surrounding town. Yes the platforms are a bit grotty just now, but more than made up for by having an overall roof cover, independent caff, pubs, generally helpful staff, unparalleled architecture…

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which is all very lovely if your connecting trains are all at the B end which mine never seem to be ;)

i get it but it was much better when the connecting bridge was closer to the centre of the platforms as they aren’t very wide and it can feel like a bit of a scrum to get all the way down to the B end sometimes. I stand firm on the signage and lighting being rubbish though!

I've not found popping through the 2 sets set of barriers to change at the A end any sort of problem. They are set quite leniently and accept anything even vaguely plausible.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Huddersfield really is the perfect station. Good cover, impressive buildings, two good pubs, an excellent cafe, two lovely station cats.

Really, what more do people want ? Personal servants to wipe their bottoms on golden toilet paper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.