• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dismal Stations Which Give A Poor First Impression Of The Town They Serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
ort of competition, especially platforms 3 - 7? A major junction for the whole country and a city with claims to be the ancient capital. Now a prosperous and pleasant county town.

The station has a roof like a sieve and passenger overbridges held together with bird**** and rust. The ‘circulation area’ is tiny and unimpressive.

Exactly This. Perth - Beautiful city surrounded by the edge of the Highlands and the River Tay, let down when you step foot in the pigeon siht ridden station. I last visited there 5 years ago, it's disappointing to see that it still looks the same.

Was in Southampton recently. Station entrance I feel is wrong side, but there is a busy road on one side. The entrance is small but once on the platforms its dreary. Southampton felt small for me coming from a big city. No big sights.

Southampton will look better when the next phase of the city's redevelopment takes hold and replaces the closed down retail park opposite the station (Toys-R-Us etc) - at the moment it does feel somewhat isolated from the city, not particularly helped by the positioning of the station effectively being at a right angle to the main part of the city centre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Senex

Established Member
Exactly This. Perth - Beautiful city surrounded by the edge of the Highlands and the River Tay, let down when you step foot in the pigeon siht ridden station. I last visited there 5 years ago, it's disappointing to see that it still looks the same.

Southampton will look better when the next phase of the city's redevelopment takes hold and replaces the closed down retail park opposite the station (Toys-R-Us etc) - at the moment it does feel somewhat isolated from the city, not particularly helped by the positioning of the station effectively being at a right angle to the main part of the city centre.
But what do you do with Perth? It's a very grand station designed for traffic on the main line from the south to Aberdeen and for handling very heavy portion trains to and from the Highland line with a little bit for the branch to Dundee hidden away in a corner. But the Aberdeen main line has gone, the Highland trains are now almost all tiny MUs, and it's the Dundee branch that has become today's main line. Almost our very own Canfranc. So what do you? Knock it all down and start again, building a much smaller station to the south that can serve traffic for both Dundee and Inverness, knock down just the old main-line section and provide something much smaller and much better linked to the Dundee section, or is there something else possible?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
But what do you do with Perth? It's a very grand station designed for traffic on the main line from the south to Aberdeen and for handling very heavy portion trains to and from the Highland line with a little bit for the branch to Dundee hidden away in a corner. But the Aberdeen main line has gone, the Highland trains are now almost all tiny MUs, and it's the Dundee branch that has become today's main line. Almost our very own Canfranc. So what do you? Knock it all down and start again, building a much smaller station to the south that can serve traffic for both Dundee and Inverness, knock down just the old main-line section and provide something much smaller and much better linked to the Dundee section, or is there something else possible?

Open an ale bar in there for starters.

BrianW

Established Member
Was in Southampton recently. Station entrance I feel is wrong side, but there is a busy road on one side. The entrance is small but once on the platforms its dreary. Southampton felt small for me coming from a big city. No big sights.
Times change; places, people and priorities change. I'm not an expert, not a local, but ...
I think I'm right in thinking Southampton Terminus as it became was the original and for some time only 'Southampton Station'.

Southampton, like Plymouth and a lot of other places was much changed by the Luftwaffe.

The Atlantic, African and Australian Liner trade is not what it was.

I can't picture Southampton's beaches against Bournemouth or Weymouth.

Possible factors?
When Manchester Victoria was rebuilt in the early 1990s, there was supposed be an electrical fume extraction and ventilation system installed, but it doesn't seem to work very well nowadays....if at all. There is anecdotal evidence of a significant number of platform staff - and a few train crew based at the station - being afflicted with respiratory ailments, including lung cancer.

There must surely be standards to be met regarding particulate emissions; which should be enforceable. There must be a duty of care.
Sad to mention this in this context but the inquiry related to the Arena bombing shows no-one seems clear as to who is 'in charge', only 'not me'.
Another poor but accurate impression of the town served.

D6130

Established Member
For starters, now that the carriage shed is no longer required, you could extend platform 3 to make a new full-length main line platform which would avoid the need for the majority of Highland line passengers to trek over the aforementioned filthy footbridge with all their luggage. The forthcoming remodelling and resignalling will provide a golden opportunity to do this.
Open an ale bar in there for starters.
Much though it pains me to say this - as an avid real ale drinker brought up in Scotland, but now living in England - but I don't really think that station real ale bars of the English model would work in Scotland. Real ale is still very much a niche product in Scotland, mainly consumed in the larger cities. The majority of Scots still drink lager and spirits - often in prodigious quantities - and any station bar would have to major on those products and possibly just pay lip service to the ale drinkers, with one or two pumps. I suspect that Scottish licensing authorities may not take too kindly to applications for new bars on station premises, with the potential for public order and safety problems....especially when trains are seriously delayed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
For starters, now that the carriage shed is no longer required, you could extend platform 3 to make a new full-length main line platform which would avoid the need for the majority of Highland line passengers to trek over the aforementioned filthy footbridge with all their luggage. The forthcoming remodelling and resignalling will provide a golden opportunity to do this.

Much though it pains me to say this - as an avid real ale drinker brought up in Scotland, but now living in England - but I don't really think that station real ale bars of the English model would work in Scotland. Real ale is still very much a niche product in Scotland, mainly consumed in the larger cities. The majority of Scots still drink lager and spirits - often in prodigious quantities - and any station bar would have to major on those products and possibly just pay lip service to the ale drinkers, with one or two pumps. I suspect that Scottish licensing authorities may not take too kindly to applications for new bars on station premises, with the potential for public order and safety problems....especially when trains are seriously delayed.

Oh, I don't think there's a problem with having plenty of lagers and spirits available to local taste. The ale market can be served by some good bottles if need be.

A dour, abstensionist licensing policy on the other hand, could put the kybosh on it !

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Liverpool Central is pretty rubbish, though admittedly arrivals are mainly local and it's no worse than a random subsurface Tube station.

Manchester Victoria is utterly horrid, like a not-quite-as-underground New St. And the alternative, Picc P13/14, is not exactly better!

Victoria really isn’t that bad and I rather like the concourse with the new roof and trams running in and out. I’d say it’s no worse than most city centre stations. I like the Beer House and the Java cafe does what I think is the best coffee going!

If you’re a visitor to the city, there is a good chance you’ll be coming in to platform 3 at Victoria on a TPE service. You step off the train looking at the original station building, then you’ll walk towards the concourse. You won't be looking back at the four through platforms.

If you’re coming in from the west, your first impression of Manchester would have already happened while you’re on the train. The view of the city is fantastic.

However, Piccadilly P14 deserves the most disdain. Windswept, crowded, awful, awful place.

New Street, I can’t stand. Ugly sweaty hell hole.

Euston is even worse and for me, that station gives the worst first impression of any city. You arrive in to what can only be described as a light industrial unit, befitting of any rundown industrial estate.

Lime Street reminds me of what large railway stations used to look like back in the 1990s. Not horrendous, but it could do with a bit of a refurb.

cin88

Stockport, I got accidentally overcarried there once and found the place to be windswept, dismal and poorly laid out, not helped by having to walk through the subway and suffer the jibes from the barrier staff (all in good fun of course) in order to get a train back to Piccadilly. I never much liked it when passing through on trains either.

Euston for reasons everyone else has already stated.

I'm in the minority here in that I actually like Manchester Victoria (even pre the latest renovation). Admittedly though, its mostly driven by nostalgia as my dad is an ex Vic driver and we'd regularly be there changing to trains to various parts of the north west on family days out when I was a young child. My dad on the other hand hates the place, mostly driven by him having started there pre 1993, they ruined the station and knackered the operational flexibility of the place in his view which no doubt a lot of people agree with.

I also quite like Preston, although mostly because I find the run down hodge podge look of it rather charming, I think the mostly red branding and general late BR "we're too skint to do this up" look about the place adds to it for me. I do wish they'd do something about the PCD area though, its a dump back there and I hate having to go there when summoned by work.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Five quid for a pint of Jaipur which had almost turned to vinegar? I'd rather patronise the nicer traditional pubs nearby (such as the Hare & Hounds) where you can get a well kept pint of Holt's for £2.70. (Sorry if this is getting slightly OT)
£5 is pretty much par for the course in Manchester.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
£5 is pretty much par for the course in Manchester.

Usually the case on here that any thread, no matter the subject matter, with more than 200 posts, has a 50:50 chance of degenerating into a discussion on what constitutes a decent pint. :rolleyes:

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Usually the case on here that any thread, no matter the subject matter, with more than 200 posts, has a 50:50 chance of degenerating into a discussion on what constitutes a decent pint. :rolleyes:

True. My rule of thumb is as long as it’s locally brewed, I don’t mind. Thankfully there are loads of great breweries in Manc!

D6130

Established Member
I do wish they'd do something about the PCD area though, its a dump back there and I hate having to go there when summoned by work.
Could the ex-PCD platforms not be converted to passenger platforms relatively cheaply....or is there no need for extra capacity at the moment? Although there is no access from the footbridge, I believe that at least one - if not both - of the subways extend(s) that far.
Usually the case on here that any thread, no matter the subject matter, with more than 200 posts, has a 50:50 chance of degenerating into a discussion on what constitutes a decent pint.
Somewhat inevitable I'm afraid, given the close connection between rail enthusiasts, rail staff and beer! ;)

Llandudno

Established Member
Same as New St and Manc Vic - stinking, filthy DMUs in a poorly ventilated space.

It's very similar to Liverpool Central otherwise, which isn't pretty but is functional in a similar way.
At least with the high frequency trains at Liverpool Central you don’t have to wait long for your train, plenty of decent pubs, places to eat seemingly always open with a few yards of the station entrance.

The remains of the contents of many of the takeaways are normally found on trains to all destinations after 2100!

yorksrob

Veteran Member

It just shows that the forum has sensible priorities.

Anyway, it's better than degenerating into a bus thread.

the sniper

Established Member
Still don't get what people expected to happen with New St. The passenger handling aspect is wrong, but it was always going to stay an underground station.

While it might have been inevitable for political and commercial reasons, it wasn't obligatory to retain a shopping centre above the station. The rest of the city centre might have benefited from not focusing so much commercial activity on such a small part of it.

The original LNWR/Midland station(s) weren't underground, after all.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
While it might have been inevitable for political and commercial reasons, it wasn't obligatory to retain a shopping centre above the station. The rest of the city centre might have benefited from not focusing so much commercial activity on such a small part of it.

The original LNWR/Midland station(s) weren't underground, after all.
Over-site developments should have been left in the 1960s, it's astonishing that we were still going down that route when Manchester Victoria was done. It's not like there weren't plenty of brownfield sites suitable for an arena in the area.
At least when the Real IRA bombed Manchester, they (a) didn't kill anyone, and (b) managed to do more to regenerate Manchester than any government before or since.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think in many ways late BR was nimble and very effective at running a railway, but to my mind the remodelling of Man Vic was a step too far.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think in many ways late BR was nimble and very effective at running a railway, but to my mind the remodelling of Man Vic was a step too far.

Absolutely. It essentially wrecked the place.

To be fair, some of BR’s rationalisation schemes are viewed with a very hefty dose of hindsight (forgetting how much Rail was declining at the time), however Man Vic is a turd whichever way one looks at it.

jfowkes

Because @MikeWM and @ashkeba mentioned it, this is the new statuary at Cambridge North. I quite like it actually. The station and the statues.

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_131844.jpg
    IMG_20210709_131844.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210709_131902.jpg
    IMG_20210709_131902.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210709_082446.jpg
    IMG_20210709_082446.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62

johnnychips

Established Member
I am particularly impressed in the post above by ‘Chunky nude bloke made by a bad 3D printer holding a ???’

MikeWM

Established Member
...this is the new statuary at Cambridge North. I quite like it actually. The station and the statues.

Thanks :) Certainly by recent standards of statutes that have gone up around Cambridge (eg. 'Snowy Farr', or the big ball by the Lion Yard toilets) that actually looks fairly reasonable. Adds a bit of a character to what was one of the least characterful places ever conceived.

The station is functional, but that's about the best thing I can say about it. I find it deeply uninspiring.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Cardiff Central I feel is a little basic for what is essentially a capital for a country of 3 million people.

ashkeba

Established Member
Because @MikeWM and @ashkeba mentioned it, this is the new statuary at Cambridge North. I quite like it actually. The station and the statues.
Thanks. It's not a bad statue but why put it so arriving visitors exit looking straight at its bottom?

I must disagree about the bland station, though.

Both together combine to make it a dismal first impression.

jfowkes

The station is functional, but that's about the best thing I can say about it. I find it deeply uninspiring.
Yeah I'd agree. I wouldn't describe it as dismal though. And the decorative metalwork actually has meaning which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.