• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Are they Scotrail sleepers behind the 67?
Yeah they are the Hornby First Scotrail Mk3 SLEP's. They are quite hard to find at a decent price, so took a bit of effort and patience. Technically, I needed the more purple looking versions from the original post privatisation livery but they only seem to exist in N Gauge, so First Scotrail will have to do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A couple of new arrivals this morning courtesy of The Model Centre. As well as modelling late steam I'm looking to make my layout slightly modular so that with a few changes to vehicles, the shed area and accessories I can also run the early privatisation period. Semaphore signalling would still be believable on one of the extremities of the network. I'm going to have a go at building my platforms tomorrow from a Metcalfe kit.

View attachment 87058View attachment 87059

The 57 was a cut price Bachmann DCC sound model as I think it was one of the early sound models and was a bit problematic on release. Mine works fine and it's certainly loud enough to be a 57!

The 67 is a Hornby EWS DCC fitted, although I might pick up a TTS sound chip when they are back in stock. It's a very good runner. I've always had a soft spot for 67's. The Scotrail MK3 SLEP's were the hardest item to obtain at a reasonable price, I had to buy a Train Pack including a class 90 to avoid the crazy prices that the coaches alone are going for on Ebay. I'm happy now I have a passable sleeper portion :)
I'm tempted to represent different eras myself, but I thought that in tandem with my dual locale representation might be asking too much!

The ScotRail Mk3a SLEPs do go for stupid £££. I remember someone was flogging a set of two at MRS for £130! One was missing its bogies as well ;)

Iskra

Established Member
I'm tempted to represent different eras myself, but I thought that in tandem with my dual locale representation might be asking too much!

The ScotRail Mk3a SLEPs do go for stupid £££. I remember someone was flogging a set of two at MRS for £130! One was missing its bogies as well ;)
I say go for it, personally! Let us know how it works out.

Wow, some people will try flog anything. Mine worked out at a decent price and they were in new condition, I just ended up with a First Scotrail Class 90 that I have no use for!

Today, I’ve done my first ever bit of weathering, the skirt on my class 67. Sure, it won’t win any awards but it now looks a lot less plastic:

DD60CEB7-E397-4C86-9A0F-1E3A655C712C.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Wow, some people will try flog anything. Mine worked out at a decent price and they were in new condition, I just ended up with a First Scotrail Class 90 that I have no use for!

Today, I’ve done my first ever bit of weathering, the skirt on my class 67. Sure, it won’t win any awards but it now looks a lot less plastic:

View attachment 87120
That looks really good to me.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks mate. I see the N gauge Class 31 is out, did you manage to order one?
Yes I’ve ordered a sound fitted one through TMC and it’s being weathered and having the parts pack fitted to one end at the moment but I think they’re pretty busy so I’m not sure if it’ll arrive before Christmas or just after.
Mrs C is allowed to spend the equivalent amount on things that she wants so she’ll be having a good Christmas too... :lol:

Iskra

Established Member
Yes I’ve ordered a sound fitted one through TMC and it’s being weathered and having the parts pack fitted to one end at the moment but I think they’re pretty busy so I’m not sure if it’ll arrive before Christmas or just after.
Mrs C is allowed to spend the equivalent amount on things that she wants so she’ll be having a good Christmas too... :lol:
Excellent, what livery did you go for? Yeah I get the impression they are busy from my orders, but their stuff is definitely worth waiting for and they offer the best enhancement service, although I'm trying to slowly upskill myself so I can do more on my own. Haha, you've done her a favour then :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent, what livery did you go for? Yeah I get the impression they are busy from my orders, but their stuff is definitely worth waiting for and they offer the best enhancement service, although I'm trying to slowly upskill myself so I can do more on my own. Haha, you've done her a favour then :D

I’ve gone for the old style Railfreight one because I remember them working on the line in the 80s. I might renumber it at some point to 31132 as it’s one I went behind in that livery years ago and I quite like having stuff that I remember.

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve gone for the old style Railfreight one because I remember them working on the line in the 80s. I might renumber it at some point to 31132 as it’s one I went behind in that livery years ago and I quite like having stuff that I remember.
Railfreight is a striking livery. I don't envy you re-rumbering in N! Yes, I'm the same I've travelled behind all of the classes that I have (where physically possible) and I bought 67016 as I've travelled behind it on the Welsh Premier Service. Modelling is better when it's relevant and personal isn't it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes definitely. I’ve got a bit of a fascination for the everyday and mundane that we didn’t used to take much notice of.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

View attachment 87120
I think that's pretty convincing.

Unfortunately there is one draw back, if I do decide to model another era in conjunction - I need a 67 too!!! ;)

Iskra

Established Member
I think that's pretty convincing.

Unfortunately there is one draw back, if I do decide to model another era in conjunction - I need a 67 too!!! ;)

Thanks!

Everyone needs a 67 ;) To be fair, they are one of the more inexpensive models and there are Lima ones even cheaper.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks!

Everyone needs a 67 ;) To be fair, they are one of the more inexpensive models and there are Lima ones even cheaper.
I quite like them, I think when I was younger they seemed quite modern though I can't remember my first time seeing one really.

My best memories are of GNER 225s and SPT 156s, other things are a hazy blur to the point of a 'I may have, I may not have' been on certain things.

I like 67s in EWS best.

I also really like 47s, not really sure when that started because I was never really aware of them when I was young, I just do.

I can see that if my layout's Scottish mode is going dual era, I now have an excuse to do the same with its Irish mode. That gives me an excuse to get some 201s in! ;) ;)

This is going well, so long as I win about three lottery jackpots or get really lucky with eBay bidding I should have a double dual locale, dual era double layout with quadruple stock supplies to run and possibly quadruple interest? :lol:

In all seriousness I'm grateful for the idea, it means certain of my stock is not out of epoch and enables me to run other stock over had my eye on.

I may well now end up with the following four modes:

Perthshire - 1984-86
County Kildare - 1984-86
Perthshire - 2004-06
County Kildare - 2004-06

I specifically chose those areas because there are bits of line which are similar enough between the Scottish Central and the Dublin-Cork between those two areas namely the sections around Blackford and the Curragh respectively.

At least close enough to pass reasonably for each other.

The idea is to swap signals, mileposts, speed restriction boards and perhaps some cars/vehicles etc to change the layout between representing Scotland and Ireland. Beautifully that idea would also help to make it multi-era as well, so that's a win-win in my book.

Iskra

Established Member
I quite like them, I think when I was younger they seemed quite modern though I can't remember my first time seeing one really.

My best memories are of GNER 225s and SPT 156s, other things are a hazy blur to the point of a 'I may have, I may not have' been on certain things.

I like 67s in EWS best.

I also really like 47s, not really sure when that started because I was never really aware of them when I was young, I just do.

I can see that if my layout's Scottish mode is going dual era, I now have an excuse to do the same with its Irish mode. That gives me an excuse to get some 201s in! ;) ;)

This is going well, so long as I win about three lottery jackpots or get really lucky with eBay bidding I should have a double dual locale, dual era double layout with quadruple stock supplies to run and possibly quadruple interest? :lol:

In all seriousness I'm grateful for the idea, it means certain of my stock is not out of epoch and enables me to run other stock over had my eye on.

I may well now end up with the following four modes:

Perthshire - 1984-86
County Kildare - 1984-86
Perthshire - 2004-06
County Kildare - 2004-06

I specifically chose those areas because there are bits of line which are similar enough between the Scottish Central and the Dublin-Cork between those two areas namely the sections around Blackford and the Curragh respectively.

At least close enough to pass reasonably for each other.

The idea is to swap signals, mileposts, speed restriction boards and perhaps some cars/vehicles etc to change the layout between representing Scotland and Ireland. Beautifully that idea would also help to make it multi-era as well, so that's a win-win in my book.

I think I like them because they were the height of modernity when I was a kid, they were also exciting as they were 125mph capable and exotic because they are quite a small class. I remember seeing them on Royal Mail workings and on Virgin Cross Country workings to far flung destinations where they stood out in the EWS livery. I agree the EWS livery is the best for them. Since then they've become synonymous with the Caledonian sleeper, other fairly prestigious timetabled loco-hauled services, the Royal Train and ECML Thunderbird duties.

The GNER livery looked smart on everything, I think I preferred GNER HST's though probably since they had droplights whereas the MK4's didn't and I always liked the SPT Carmine & Cream on the 156's too. I was pretty spoilt growing up in the West Riding, moving to Lancashire for uni and then eventually settling in Sheffield, so I've had a lot of exposure to different stock. My main childhood memories are lots of 158's on TPE, lots of HST's in Midland Mainline, GNER and Virgin XC (my three favourite liveries), Virgin 47's, the 333's being new and exciting but also exposure to some special stuff- GNER 373's, 89, 90, class 37's on Arriva Trains Northern, 101's still going in Manchester, the daily Leeds-Glasgow 158, some trips to Paddington to see the FGW stuff including purple locomotives. More humdrum were the Northern Spirit class 156's on the Settle & Carlisle and doing lots of North West Rover's to get Virgin class 86/87/90's in between Carlisle and Lancaster, I'd spend the entire trip by a droplight behind the loco and loved every minute of it. ...so I suppose I should appreciate that First Scotrail Class 90 I acquired afterall.

Irish stuff is supposed to be pricey, so take it steady with your acquisitions! A quadruple layout is ambitious, but fair play if you can pull it off and you will never tire of it!

Yes, I think it's a good idea to make things easily swapable in a modular design, I think it will keep me interested in my layout a lot longer that way.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I think I like them because they were the height of modernity when I was a kid, they were also exciting as they were 125mph capable and exotic because they are quite a small class. I remember seeing them on Royal Mail workings and on Virgin Cross Country workings to far flung destinations where they stood out in the EWS livery. I agree the EWS livery is the best for them. Since then they've become synonymous with the Caledonian sleeper, other fairly prestigious timetabled loco-hauled
Mostly remember them when they replaced 37s and 47s on the ScotRail sleeper portions, I also remember the issues over passing them for 125mph, my 2004 platform 5 has some marked for 110, others for 125.

The GNER livery looked smart on everything
I always remember the Mk4s, and the crest bearing the legend - "Route of the Flying Scotsman", somehow made it more magical to a 6/7-year old me!

My main childhood memories are lots of 158's on TPE, lots of HST's in Midland Mainline, GNER and Virgin XC (my three favourite liveries), Virgin 47's, the 333's being new and exciting but also exposure to some special stuff- GNER 373's, 89, 90, class 37's on Arriva Trains Northern, 101's still going in Manchester, the daily Leeds-Glasgow 158, some trips to Paddington to see the FGW stuff including purple locomotives. More humdrum were the Northern Spirit class 156's on the Settle & Carlisle and doing lots of North West Rover's to get Virgin class 86/87/90's in between Carlisle and Lancaster, I'd spend the entire trip by a droplight behind the loco and loved every minute of it. ...so I suppose I should appreciate that First Scotrail Class 90 I acquired afterall.
My local station then was almost all 314s, I still have a soft spot for them. My grandparent's local was all 156 and I remember getting 156s to East Kilbride with them, my grandad worked for BR so he had a free pass.

I may have been on 303s, but I can't be certain for sure.

I do sort of want to recreate this era of early privitisation, but I also like the variety of the mid-1980s when HSTs and 47s were still ubiquitous and the Sectorisation liveries were just starting out.

Irish stuff is supposed to be pricey
Take out the "supposed", there is no "supposed" about it.

I held off for a year for Supertrain Mk2Ds in the hope the price would come down from €56 per coach!

Yes, I think it's a good idea to make things easily swapable in a modular design, I think it will keep me interested in my layout a lot longer that way.
I think that's what I'm trying to do - satisfy my interests and keep it interesting.

I think that's what we're all trying to accomplish to some extent or another.

Peter C

Established Member
I've spent a bit of time reading through this thread today as I keep forgetting to check it, and my main thought is that all of your layouts look brilliant! I've seen a lot of things, whether it be stock or the layout itself, which I plan on 'borrowing' for my own layout :)

My layout has been slowly progressing through this year and I think I've finally got a trackplan and design I like. Here are a few photos from my latest update (see link in signature):

Oldmoor T&RSMD.jpeg
I made this depot building using some cereal boxes and it's turned out rather nice so far. It's not finished by any stretch of the imagination but works well as a focal point on the board for the moment anyway. It's a two track depot and can hold an engine of Class 50/Class 66 size on each road.

Railway centre.jpeg
I've been planning my railway centre on the layout today and this is the trackplan I've come up with. A couple of people have said they quite like the idea of a railway centre as they don't see them that often on layouts; I've included it as Didcot Railway Centre is one of my favourite heritage railway/museum locations.

Hidden goods shed line.jpeg
The largest of the buildings forming the railway centre is a Metcalfe goods shed which I'm going to be sort-of repurposing as a station, in much the same way as Didcot Railway Centre have used their transfer shed as a station on their 'branchline'. When designing the trackplan, I ended up with the situation where the track going into the goods shed is almost hidden behind the shops on the main road, something I've never had on the layout before. I thought it was quite nice and the plan is to move the buildings closer to the track to make it seem closer to the town as if the original railway company which built the depot (which is the idea behind the railway centre - it was a depot and is now a preservation site) was trying to squeeze everything they could into the space they had!

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've spent a bit of time reading through this thread today as I keep forgetting to check it
Not alone there mate, sometimes I've come back and a whole page has slotted in in the interim! ;)

Oldmoor T&RSMD.jpeg

I made this depot building using some cereal boxes and it's turned out rather nice so far. It's not finished by any stretch of the imagination but works well as a focal point on the board for the moment anyway. It's a two track depot and can hold an engine of Class 50/Class 66 size on each road.
Even so, I quite like it. It's a bit like the modern modular designs which have a very squared-off profile. It's also given me an idea or two.

Railway centre.jpeg

I've been planning my railway centre on the layout today and this is the trackplan I've come up with. A couple of people have said they quite like the idea of a railway centre as they don't see them that often on layouts; I've included it as Didcot Railway Centre is one of my favourite heritage railway/museum locations.
I've considered having something similar or a heritage railway to allow for running some of my unprototypical stock.

Peter C

Established Member
Not alone there mate, sometimes I've come back and a whole page has slotted in in the interim! ;)
Haha :) I think I ended up reading four or five pages of this thread today!

Even so, I quite like it. It's a bit like the modern modular designs which have a very squared-off profile. It's also given me an idea or two.
Thanks! I was aiming for a modern design and that's really nice to hear. I didn't copy anywhere exactly as what I thought a modern depot looked like and what a modern depot actually looks like seemed to differ quite dramatically. I suppose I was thinking of one of the massive depots like Old Oak Common or somewhere like that. It's also really cool to hear that it's given you ideas!

I've considered having something similar or a heritage railway to allow for running some of my unprototypical stock.
I wanted to have a full heritage railway (or at least one which runs between two small stations) but that just isn't possible in the 8'x4' space I have, so I went for the railway centre. The idea is that the preservation group which runs the centre will have some sort of agreement with Network Rail and the TOCs which run on the mainline to allow for mainline engines/units to be stored on the site as well; it gives me that extra bit of flexibility with what I store there.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There’s a chap called Chris on rmweb that’s modelling Ropley on the Mid Hants Railway in the preservation era. I think it’s really good @Peter C, have a look at some of the more recent posts because there’s some good inspiration on there:

Peter C

Established Member
There’s a chap called Chris on rmweb that’s modelling Ropley on the Mid Hants Railway in the preservation era. I think it’s really good @Peter C, have a look at some of the more recent posts because there’s some good inspiration on there:

The name rings a bell, but that may well be because I'm thinking of the real thing! :D
I'll have a read through the thread - from the first picture it looks to be really impressive already.

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks! I was aiming for a modern design and that's really nice to hear. I didn't copy anywhere exactly as what I thought a modern depot looked like and what a modern depot actually looks like seemed to differ quite dramatically. I suppose I was thinking of one of the massive depots like Old Oak Common or somewhere like that. It's also really cool to hear that it's given you ideas!
Oh no, it definitely doesn't look like a straight copy, more that is has the flavour of the modern style depot buildings

I wanted to have a full heritage railway (or at least one which runs between two small stations) but that just isn't possible in the 8'x4' space I have, so I went for the railway centre. The idea is that the preservation group which runs the centre will have some sort of agreement with Network Rail and the TOCs which run on the mainline to allow for mainline engines/units to be stored on the site as well; it gives me that extra bit of flexibility with what I store there.
Well you see, I rather like this approach. Like you, space is at a premium and this would be an excellent means to showcase stock, particularly the more unprototypical stuff while not requiring the space that a full heritage line would.

So if you don't mind, I think I'll use this idea! ;)

Peter C

Established Member
Oh no, it definitely doesn't look like a straight copy, more that is has the flavour of the modern style depot buildings
It's definitely freelance, yes :) Most, if not all, of the buildings to do with the railway on my layout are freelance to a degree.

Well you see, I rather like this approach. Like you, space is at a premium and this would be an excellent means to showcase stock, particularly the more unprototypical stuff while not requiring the space that a full heritage line would.

So if you don't mind, I think I'll use this idea! ;)
Use this idea all you want! :D I think we've had the same thoughts regarding such parts of our layouts - I look forward to seeing what you've done with yours!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Happy Christmas to all of you that have contributed to the railway modelling and gaming threads this year. It’s been a lot of fun and it feels like we’ve got a nice little community going here now.

It’s been a welcome relief to dip in and out of this area of the forum to get away from all of the difficulties that life has thrown at us this year and all of you have done your bit to help build this section up over the last few months and years, so thanks. It’s been much appreciated. :)

Nick

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Happy Christmas to all of you that have contributed to the railway modelling and gaming threads this year. It’s been a lot of fun and it feels like we’ve got a nice little community going here now.

It’s been a welcome relief to dip in and out of this area of the forum to get away from all of the difficulties that life has thrown at us this year and all of you have done your bit to help build this section up over the last few months and years, so thanks. It’s been much appreciated. :)

Nick

Merry Christmas to you too. I’ve also really enjoyed watching layouts and projects develop and picking up tips along the way.

Iskra

Established Member
Merry Christmas all. This thread and its various spin-offs have been a pleasure to read this year.

None of the below were christmas presents, but acquisitions I've only just got around to putting on the rails; Some RES BG's to go with my 67 were acquired on Ebay, the Heljan weathered Cargowagon's were in a pre-christmas sale from KMS Railtech, the 150 was from TMC's sale and the Bachmann Sound 66 was one of the last I could find online, it works amazingly well- an even smoother runner than my Bachmann 37 and I've had no trouble on curves as some people have had with this model. Of course, it's far too clean for a 66, so that's something I will rectify in the future. I've also got some crude platforms made for my station, but there's plenty still to do but at least it looks more like a station now. I've decided to name my layout Fort George so for my next update I will start my own thread with that as the title; I chose the name as my layout has developed to become a little similar to Fort William, it sounds Scottish, having 'Fort' in the title justifies my small military depot and I've been to the real Fort George near Inverness- it's an amazing location and has never had a railway so allows me artistic license.

xmas.jpg

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member

Nick
Merry Christmas to you too. I’ve also really enjoyed watching layouts and projects develop and picking up tips along the way.
Merry Christmas all. This thread and its various spin-offs have been a pleasure to read this year.

None of the below were christmas presents, but acquisitions I've only just got around to putting on the rails; Some RES BG's to go with my 67 were acquired on Ebay, the Heljan weathered Cargowagon's were in a pre-christmas sale from KMS Railtech, the 150 was from TMC's sale and the Bachmann Sound 66 was one of the last I could find online, it works amazingly well- an even smoother runner than my Bachmann 37 and I've had no trouble on curves as some people have had with this model. Of course, it's far too clean for a 66, so that's something I will rectify in the future. I've also got some crude platforms made for my station, but there's plenty still to do but at least it looks more like a station now. I've decided to name my layout Fort George so for my next update I will start my own thread with that as the title; I chose the name as my layout has developed to become a little similar to Fort William, it sounds Scottish, having 'Fort' in the title justifies my small military depot and I've been to the real Fort George near Inverness- it's an amazing location and has never had a railway so allows me artistic license.

View attachment 87688
I'll quite happily second the comments you've all made - I've spent 99% of my time (actual results may vary) on the forums just reading the modelling and games section to see what other people have been up to on their layouts. I've learned new things and found it really interesting to see layouts develop.
All of those models look really cool @Iskra. I quite like the 66, 150 and those RES coaches; the kind of things I'm looking for for my layout! I'll take a look at TMC to see if they have anything of interest.

-Peter

Howling update: I’m pleased to report that my Peco static grass applicator turned up shortly before Christmas along with some water resin, so after a couple of small practices I’ve managed to provide something for the cattle to eat and drink. Suddenly, Part 1 of my layout is starting to look rather lush and much less like a drained reservoir. There is much weathering, foliage and detail still to apply not to mention some track which I believe is an essential part of any model railway! I’ve also finished off a Saxby & Farmer signal box, a tin tabernacle and village hall of which more detail to follow.
Happy New Year All, whatever your creed, colour or gauge

Attachments

• 36218C2A-8361-4B45-B993-65C141A6C108.jpeg
    36218C2A-8361-4B45-B993-65C141A6C108.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • FFBDCD5C-2634-48A8-9042-7E37F914D1B1.jpeg
    FFBDCD5C-2634-48A8-9042-7E37F914D1B1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Howling update: I’m pleased to report that my Peco static grass applicator turned up shortly before Christmas along with some water resin, so after a couple of small practices I’ve managed to provide something for the cattle to eat and drink. Suddenly, Part 1 of my layout is starting to look rather lush and much less like a drained reservoir. There is much weathering, foliage and detail still to apply not to mention some track which I believe is an essential part of any model railway! I’ve also finished off a Saxby & Farmer signal box, a tin tabernacle and village hall of which more detail to follow.
Wow what a difference! That brickwork looks great contrasted with the grass.

Peter C

Established Member
I looked at this earlier but forgot to comment; I'm essentially echoing @Cowley when I say that you've done a really good job with the static grass! The water resin looks superb as well. I'd probably electrocute myself with one of those fancy static grass applicators; I struggle enough with the puffer bottle I have!

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.