• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looks to be quite the bit of work, even from that one photo @Cowley :lol:
How are you going to rebuild them? I seem to remember you saying you weren't too keen on the original fronts?

-Peter

You’re bang on right Peter. Originally I got my stepbrother to print out the fronts of the buildings and I stuck them over the top of the basic shapes that I’d made. This time though I’m trying to make it all a bit more 3D with proper windows and light etc.
I’m finding it quite difficult though if I’m honest. It’s very fiddly and I’ve already cast aside one of the versions I did because I just wasn’t happy with it.
I’m trying to get it so that you’d look at it and assume that it’s 00 gauge. Not easy in this scale though.
Here’s the thing:

C8D24ED8-2629-42B0-B9DC-A26B3B8967E5.jpeg

Very much work in progress!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
You’re bang on right Peter. Originally I got my stepbrother to print out the fronts of the buildings and I stuck them over the top of the basic shapes that I’d made. This time though I’m trying to make it all a bit more 3D with proper windows and light etc.
I’m finding it quite difficult though if I’m honest. It’s very fiddly and I’ve already cast aside one of the versions I did because I just wasn’t happy with it.
I’m trying to get it so that you’d look at it and assume that it’s 00 gauge. Not easy in this scale though.
Here’s the thing:

View attachment 99520

Very much work in progress!
I suppose casting versions aside might not be the doom-and-gloom it seems; hopefully you'll end up with a better final example for it! You've managed to make all the other buildings on your layout look very nice indeed so I'm sure it'll be alright in the end (no pressure) ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suppose casting versions aside might not be the doom-and-gloom it seems; hopefully you'll end up with a better final example for it! You've managed to make all the other buildings on your layout look very nice indeed so I'm sure it'll be alright in the end (no pressure) ;)

-Peter

Thanks Peter. Sometimes just having someone like yourself appreciating that I’m making the effort with all of it is enough to spur you into trying a bit harder if you know what I mean?
This stuff isn’t always easy, but if we encourage each other to push ourselves to our limits we’ll achieve things that we wouldn’t necessarily do if we just rested on our laurels…
That’s what it’s all about, and that’s what I like about what we’re trying to do in the modelling section here.

We may not be experts, but at least we’re enjoying doing it. ;)

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter. Sometimes just having someone like yourself appreciating that I’m making the effort with all of it is enough to spur you into trying a bit harder if you know what I mean?
This stuff isn’t always easy, but if we encourage each other to push ourselves to our limits we’ll achieve things that we wouldn’t necessarily do if we just rested on our laurels…
That’s what it’s all about, and that’s what I like about what we’re trying to do in the modelling section here.

We may not be experts, but at least we’re enjoying doing it. ;)
You're very welcome - it's really lovely to know that what myself and others have said makes a difference. I totally understand what you mean as I've been thinking the same thing with regards to my layout thread. Being so indecisive makes getting things done a slow process but all it takes is for someone to say, "well I think that looks really nice" about something I wasn't too sure about and then I realise that maybe it wasn't so bad after all. :lol:

We've spoken a few times about the amazing modelling section here and it really is the best model railway-related forum I've been on. The larger ones are lovely and all, but they're so big that it's difficult to join in as a newcomer. Including those who've posted on this thread, I'd hazard a guess at there being about twenty modellers - maybe a few more - who've joined in and shown off their brilliant work in the past year - which is when I think the forum became what it is today. (Three cheers for the modelling section, etc. ;))

Having fun is the most important bit - it's a hobby, not a part-time job (unless you've turned it into a job, in which case that sounds really cool). We're all here because we enjoy railways and modelling them. :)

-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've not really kept up to date on this thread, but it's great to see everyone's progress (though a little intimidating!). I've not really got much done other than spending money that would have gone on riding big trains, on acquiring smaller ones instead!
My mum has decided to downsize since my dad passed away last year, so I've abandoned the cellar idea. Instead I'm looking at making a micro-layout that I'll be able to put away, and that will be portable to an extent.

In recent weeks I've decided to invoke Rule One and have got my first kettle, as well as ordering my first DCC Sound fitted loco (there will be an update in the Latest Acquisition thread on those). I used to think that Sound was a bit of a gimmick, but having seen a couple of my brother's sound-fitted locos I'm coming around to it, in spite of the cost. I don't think I'll ever go as far as wanting everything to have sound though- I'm not made of money!

My current plan is to build a simple branch line terminus, one or two platforms with a run-round loop and maybe a small freight yard. I'm still looking at sectorisation-era mostly, but as it'll be a fictional or semi-fictional location I'll have a bit of flexibility. One possibility is that I'll build a few different sections that will bolt together, with the possibility of leaving some out when I don't have as much space (I'll probably move it between my own flat and my mum's, particularly if I get myself back on the road). I've got myself a rolling road, so I don't need to build a full circuit.

reddragon

Established Member
I've not really kept up to date on this thread, but it's great to see everyone's progress (though a little intimidating!). I've not really got much done other than spending money that would have gone on riding big trains, on acquiring smaller ones instead!
My mum has decided to downsize since my dad passed away last year, so I've abandoned the cellar idea. Instead I'm looking at making a micro-layout that I'll be able to put away, and that will be portable to an extent.

In recent weeks I've decided to invoke Rule One and have got my first kettle, as well as ordering my first DCC Sound fitted loco (there will be an update in the Latest Acquisition thread on those). I used to think that Sound was a bit of a gimmick, but having seen a couple of my brother's sound-fitted locos I'm coming around to it, in spite of the cost. I don't think I'll ever go as far as wanting everything to have sound though- I'm not made of money!

My current plan is to build a simple branch line terminus, one or two platforms with a run-round loop and maybe a small freight yard. I'm still looking at sectorisation-era mostly, but as it'll be a fictional or semi-fictional location I'll have a bit of flexibility. One possibility is that I'll build a few different sections that will bolt together, with the possibility of leaving some out when I don't have as much space (I'll probably move it between my own flat and my mum's, particularly if I get myself back on the road). I've got myself a rolling road, so I don't need to build a full circuit.
The rule with DCC sound, is chose the right loco and get the best sound & speaker with it or disappointment arises.

Hornby TTS or the wrong loco = poor, whereas right loco with good speaker = wow!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The rule with DCC sound, is chose the right loco and get the best sound & speaker with it or disappointment arises.

Hornby TTS or the wrong loco = poor, whereas right loco with good speaker = wow!
The one I've gone for is a pre-owned Bachmann 20 in Railfreight Red Stripe, the speaker and chip is already fitted so I'll get what I get. As a general rule the mark-up for sound is a bit much for me, but this one wasn't significantly more than I've seen non-sound equivalents go for. Likewise I've become reasonably competent at opening up DCC Ready locos to chip them, and I'd rather pay £20 for a chip and fit it myself than the often £25+ for a pre-chipped loco.

Peter C

Established Member

That layout idea certainly sounds cool. I love the idea of a small terminus station - it's the kind of thing where you can get loads in a fairly small area without getting stupid about it :D Sound-fitted locos are really cool, especially if it's a favourite class of loco you've got sound for.
Would you be planning to build the branch terminus in sections, or would you build that as one section and then have a few other areas? Either way, it sounds like great fun.

I've got two TTS-fitted engines and they're both decent in terms of both sound quality and the number of sounds available, but I agree that if your engine doesn't have a lot of space for the sound to reverberate in then the speaker is pretty poor.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I have a twin TTS HST which is poor but new speakers should help; a 2x Lok-sound that don't do it, a good Lok-sound Class 52 and the best is a Legomambiffo with base speaker, pity it's a 66!

I also have 4 sound on order, 2 due

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That layout idea certainly sounds cool. I love the idea of a small terminus station - it's the kind of thing where you can get loads in a fairly small area without getting stupid about it :D Sound-fitted locos are really cool, especially if it's a favourite class of loco you've got sound for.
Would you be planning to build the branch terminus in sections, or would you build that as one section and then have a few other areas? Either way, it sounds like great fun.

I've got two TTS-fitted engines and they're both decent in terms of both sound quality and the number of sounds available, but I agree that if your engine doesn't have a lot of space for the sound to reverberate in then the speaker is pretty poor.

-Peter
My initial plan is that the terminus will be in one section, then I'll slowly add additional boards to extend the branch. The original cellar plan was for a double track circuit with a junction station and yard, with a Stourbridge style branch along one wall.

As for sound, I'm not really one for "thrash" generally, but having seen how impressive good quality sound can be, I no longer think of it as simply an expensive gimmick. I've heard TTS stuff on YouTube videos and they sounded a bit tinny, but that could well be down to the quality of the video recording as much as the sound chip itself.

Peter C

Established Member
I have a twin TTS HST which is poor but new speakers should help; a 2x Lok-sound that don't do it, a good Lok-sound Class 52 and the best is a Legomambiffo with base speaker, pity it's a 66!

I also have 4 sound on order, 2 due
From what I've heard, it's fairly straightforward to get better speakers and then to wire them in. They're quite cheap too I think?
One of my best sound-fitted locos is a 66 too - but I'm not too fussed. It's quite fun playing around with the horn sounds: plenty of bass.

My initial plan is that the terminus will be in one section, then I'll slowly add additional boards to extend the branch. The original cellar plan was for a double track circuit with a junction station and yard, with a Stourbridge style branch along one wall.
Ah cool - that sounds like a really interesting way of building it up. A Stourbridge-style branch would be nice to see in model form, but I suppose plans have to change to fit the situation you're in!

As for sound, I'm not really one for "thrash" generally, but having seen how impressive good quality sound can be, I no longer think of it as simply an expensive gimmick. I've heard TTS stuff on YouTube videos and they sounded a bit tinny, but that could well be down to the quality of the video recording as much as the sound chip itself.
I'm with you on that one. Having sound really adds to the immersion on a layout - but only if you have the right number of engines making sounds at the same time! Too many and it sounds awful, and only a couple chugging around on a busy layout can seem a bit odd, but if you've got an engine shunting around in a yard by itself, it's perfect.

-Peter

Ted633

I had a layout when I was younger, but it's all been in storage for the past 15 years or so, though that hasn't stopped me buying new bits and pieces! I've recently bought a new house which has a brick built shed, so that coupled with lots of annual leave to use up over the first half of this year meant it was time to get building! I had a fair amount of track already (along with a Dynamis controller), so only needed to buy a box of flexi track, some R4 curves and a couple of points.
I only built it so I've got somewhere to run/store all the stock, so it's nothing massively technical, just 2 loops that turn back on themselves to give the impression of a 4 track mainline though the station.
It's pretty much complete now, although I expect I need to tinker with the sidings a bit more as more loco's/rolling stock arrives!

The main through station, with an HST in the bay (Note the overhang on the platform canopy, the 76 with its raised pantograph would have an issue with that later on!)
IMG_20210730_170115[1].jpg

Main sidings on the Outer Loop
IMG_20210730_165815[1].jpg

One of the turnback loops, housing a small terminus for stock on the inner loop
IMG_20210730_165330[1].jpg

IMG_20210730_165355[1].jpg

Additional siding space squeezed in around the running lines for future acquisitions! 33 awaiting a 4-TC (tad pricey at the moment). 73 awaiting time for me to mod the pick ups so it runs better, at which time the Lima 73 will be retired
IMG_20210730_165426[1].jpg

The other turnback loop, providing the stabling for the EMU's (+DEMU) that run on the inner loop
IMG_20210730_165606[1].jpg

The Track Plan
Untitled.png

reddragon

Established Member
I had a layout when I was younger, but it's all been in storage for the past 15 years or so, though that hasn't stopped me buying new bits and pieces! I've recently bought a new house which has a brick built shed, so that coupled with lots of annual leave to use up over the first half of this year meant it was time to get building! I had a fair amount of track already (along with a Dynamis controller), so only needed to buy a box of flexi track, some R4 curves and a couple of points.
I only built it so I've got somewhere to run/store all the stock, so it's nothing massively technical, just 2 loops that turn back on themselves to give the impression of a 4 track mainline though the station.
It's pretty much complete now, although I expect I need to tinker with the sidings a bit more as more loco's/rolling stock arrives!

The main through station, with an HST in the bay (Note the overhang on the platform canopy, the 76 with its raised pantograph would have an issue with that later on!)
View attachment 100469

View attachment 100470

View attachment 100471

View attachment 100472

Additional siding space squeezed in around the running lines for future acquisitions! 33 awaiting a 4-TC (tad pricey at the moment). 73 awaiting time for me to mod the pick ups so it runs better, at which time the Lima 73 will be retired
View attachment 100473

The other turnback loop, providing the stabling for the EMU's (+DEMU) that run on the inner loop
View attachment 100474

The Track Plan
View attachment 100475
We seem to have similar modelling eras. I do like the Southern Region

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 100469

View attachment 100470

View attachment 100471

View attachment 100472

View attachment 100473

View attachment 100474

The Track Plan
View attachment 100475

Love it. :)
Thanks for posting this along with some good photos. There’s some really interesting about modelling the 3rd rail stuff isn’t there.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 100469

View attachment 100470

View attachment 100471

View attachment 100472

View attachment 100473

View attachment 100474

The Track Plan
View attachment 100475
That looks like my ideal layout! Love the variety of stock too :D

-Peter

RichJF

Yes! Just repainted my 1st ever loco from a Hornby Railroad Network Rail 960 into a 121 NSE bubble car!

Attachments

• IMG20210817210149.jpg
    IMG20210817210149.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes! Just repainted my 1st ever loco from a Hornby Railroad Network Rail 960 into a 121 NSE bubble car!

Hey that looks good, the colours are spot on too.
Not an easy livery to do for a first go! Well done.

RichJF

As @Cowley says, that looks really cool! Was it from the 2021 Hornby range originally?

-Peter
It is a Hornby Railroad 2021 model. Got it below rrp via a local model shop. Model R3915. Was in the yellow Network Rail colours.
It's basically the old Lima shell with DCC ready motor/chassis.

Peter C

Established Member
It is a Hornby Railroad 2021 model. Got it below rrp via a local model shop. Model R3915. Was in the yellow Network Rail colours.
It's basically the old Lima shell with DCC ready motor/chassis.
Ah cool - I've had my eye on that model for a while now. The detailing doesn't look bad; the RRP of £75 is alright (but not perfect) too given you can spend that on a non-DCC-ready Lima version!

-Peter

RichJF

Ah cool - I've had my eye on that model for a while now. The detailing doesn't look bad; the RRP of £75 is alright (but not perfect) too given you can spend that on a non-DCC-ready Lima version!

-Peter
Exactly. As I run micro layouts & try to keep my railway costs restrained, I have no issue buying a Railroad model (or good condition preloved) & detailing up to be more accurate!

Peter C

Established Member
Exactly. As I run micro layouts & try to keep my railway costs restrained, I have no issue buying a Railroad model (or good condition preloved) & detailing up to be more accurate!
I think that's a good way to go about things. There's no point in spending lots of money on a model with tonnes of detailing when you can spend half as much (or less) and then put the work in to detail an older model. The RailRoad range is really good for that - and if you can't afford some of the models from there, there's always eBay and the original Lima toolings!

-Peter

RichJF

My nearly finished nano layout. Called Dungeness Town it's fictionally located near the power plant & if the branch was still open & in prime NSE period.
Services provided by Class 101 (cast off from Redhill - Tonbridge electrification) or Class 121 Bubble Car.

Attachments

• IMG20210821165254.jpg
    IMG20210821165254.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG20210821165313.jpg
    IMG20210821165313.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20210821183516.jpg
    IMG20210821183516.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20210821183525.jpg
    IMG20210821183525.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
My nearly finished nano layout. Called Dungeness Town it's fictionally located near the power plant & if the branch was still open & in prime NSE period.
Services provided by Class 101 (cast off from Redhill - Tonbridge electrification) or Class 121 Bubble Car.
That looks really nice - the concept of a "nano" layout is something I've not really seen before. The stock is nice too.

-Peter :)

RichJF

That looks really nice - the concept of a "nano" layout is something I've not really seen before. The stock is nice too.

-Peter :)
Nano/micro layouts are quite popular in my modelling community & social media groups. Lots without a large space to build, so do a much smaller diorama-type layout.
Mine will have a scenic break bridge & a fiddle on a similar shelf connected to hold the stock out of sight.

Got a freelance nuclear wagon & 08 for a bit of operational interest too.

Peter C

Established Member
Nano/micro layouts are quite popular in my modelling community & social media groups. Lots without a large space to build, so do a much smaller diorama-type layout.
I need to do a bit of looking into this then! It definitely sounds like the ideal way of making a layout in a confined space.
(I'd heard of micro layouts but not a nano layout.)

Mine will have a scenic break bridge & a fiddle on a similar shelf connected to hold the stock out of sight.
Sounds cool. The main problem with even the smallest of layouts such as yours (which is brilliant by the way) is the need for a fiddle yard I think - I tried planning a small layout a while ago and it had to be doubled in length to get the fiddle yard in.

Got a freelance nuclear wagon & 08 for a bit of operational interest too.
Again - very interesting. Any chance you could post a photo of that nuclear wagon?

-Peter

RichJF

Again - very interesting. Any chance you could post a photo of that nuclear wagon?

-Peter
Made from a tatty old Airfix coach & bits of plastic/card/balsa from my spares box.

Attachments

• E9UI7_zXsAkYbB8.jpg
    E9UI7_zXsAkYbB8.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 7
  • E9UI7vvXIAog5ps.jpg
    E9UI7vvXIAog5ps.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 7

Peter C

Established Member
Made from a tatty old Airfix coach & bits of plastic/card/balsa from my spares box.
Now that's a very clever idea. Even if it's not 100% accurate, it's a very good wagon and could easily pass as perhaps a "what-if"!

-Peter

malc-c

After months of development I received my prototype PCBs from JLCPCB in China for the mimic panel and point controller

P1019539.JPG

The project is nothing original... A Nano that runs the code to monitor 16 on/off switches and depending on the setting send instructions to a PCA9685 to drive the servo on the corresponding channel to switch the points. The direction of the points is indicated by 32 LEDs which naturally toggle (one on the other off) as the point changes direction. The amount of travel and the speed of travel for each of the 16 servos can be set using three buttons aided by a serial monitor, although the channel being programmed is indicated by rapid flashing of that channels LEDs.

P1019542.JPG

The build took me a couple of hours but worked first time.

My friend who has an exhibition layout uses SPUDs (our nick name for a small localises CDU that also has a frog relay and is operated by low current small on / off switches rather than having to switch high current from a central CDU) - so I added the feature so my board could also work with them as an alternative option.

So now I have the mimic panel and point controller, plus a load of 3D printed linear servo point motors I'm nearly ready to rebuild my layout. I'm not happy with the baseboard, having used studwork and 9mm MDF the board is starting to warp, even after such a short time (less than two years). I also want to make the layout wider so I can set out the station better. However money is very tight at the moment and I have a few personal things going on that need my attention more, so it could be some time before I start that phase. Still building and collecting the components is half the fun :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
After months of development I received my prototype PCBs from JLCPCB in China for the mimic panel and point controller

View attachment 101787

The project is nothing original... A Nano that runs the code to monitor 16 on/off switches and depending on the setting send instructions to a PCA9685 to drive the servo on the corresponding channel to switch the points. The direction of the points is indicated by 32 LEDs which naturally toggle (one on the other off) as the point changes direction. The amount of travel and the speed of travel for each of the 16 servos can be set using three buttons aided by a serial monitor, although the channel being programmed is indicated by rapid flashing of that channels LEDs.

View attachment 101788

The build took me a couple of hours but worked first time.

My friend who has an exhibition layout uses SPUDs (our nick name for a small localises CDU that also has a frog relay and is operated by low current small on / off switches rather than having to switch high current from a central CDU) - so I added the feature so my board could also work with them as an alternative option.

So now I have the mimic panel and point controller, plus a load of 3D printed linear servo point motors I'm nearly ready to rebuild my layout. I'm not happy with the baseboard, having used studwork and 9mm MDF the board is starting to warp, even after such a short time (less than two years). I also want to make the layout wider so I can set out the station better. However money is very tight at the moment and I have a few personal things going on that need my attention more, so it could be some time before I start that phase. Still building and collecting the components is half the fun :)

Clever stuff Malc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.