• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Exactly why I changed from N to OO recently. I wonder if anybody transitioned to O or gauge 1 for the same reason, perhaps I should start collecting now :lol:
When I decided to rejoin the hobby at the start of lockdown (I'd already recaptured the bug by attending Warley in 2019) I did consider N for space reasons... but decided to go with OO partly because I still had some old stuff, but mostly because (a) I'm a bit clumsy due to ASD, and (b) have little use of both pinkies due to Dupuytren's Contracture.

O might have been even better, but the cost and space required would be prohibitive.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve been putting lighting kits in a three coaches that I recently bought this evening.
Basically I’ve wanted a couple of trains with lights in for a while now because the buildings have lights in and it’s quite nice to have a bit of nighttime atmosphere. What I’ve ended up doing is having a specific set just for night running which meant building up a set of four spare weathered coaches for the job.
Not cheap but could be worse!

Anyway this is the result. It doesn’t actually look quite like the photos because of my dodgy old iPhone, but you get the idea…

BC6985AF-4A1D-4121-88D7-0D1140839316.jpeg

34AF5FAE-6CF6-46E3-9CAB-C90B944AD19E.jpeg

Edit - Look at the brightness in the signalbox. @Gloster is going to kill me!

Gloster

Established Member
No, I am a man of peace.

Have you though about dimming out one or two windows in case there is an enthusiast in that compartment trying to avoid the reflections from the lighting making it impossible to see anything outside. Or a young couple who...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No, I am a man of peace.

Have you though about dimming out one or two windows in case there is an enthusiast in that compartment trying to avoid the reflections from the lighting making it impossible to see anything outside. Or a young couple who...

:lol: I’m thinking about adding a basher at a droplight possibly, but as for the other thing - well I’ve already got a cameo of something similar going on between Swiss Tony and his secretary in the office of the garage that due to our family friendly policy on this forum I’ll never ever be able to share a photo of…

I’d quite like to add some orange curtains to the first class bits of the carriages at some point actually. I think I’ll probably keep coming back to this little side project.

Iskra

Established Member
Those are really atmospheric pictures. Definitely worth the expense and effort to pull that off!

fourtytwo

Great atmosphere, do you have to wait till midnight for darkness down there in Devon! here in Norfolk it's 5pm.........
Is that DCC or DC, can you turn them on & off, too many questions :smile:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
:lol: Yes I think it’s about 5pm here too.
The lights are on a motion sensor so they switch themselves off after four minutes of inactivity. They’re from a company called Train-Tech.

RichJF

I've largely done my Dungeness Town layout, so I was looking for something to do.

I've adapted my fiddle yard storage shelf into a micro TMD diorama called Titchy Train Shed. Mainly somewhere to display my diesel locos & rolling stock I adapt & build. Analogue DC control.

Complete with adapted BR signage :)

FDrTF7UWYAUdzDn.jpgFDrTFo3WEAIdCTG.jpgFDrTGTQWQAAHt2T.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
I’ve been putting lighting kits in a three coaches that I recently bought this evening.
Basically I’ve wanted a couple of trains with lights in for a while now because the buildings have lights in and it’s quite nice to have a bit of nighttime atmosphere. What I’ve ended up doing is having a specific set just for night running which meant building up a set of four spare weathered coaches for the job.
Not cheap but could be worse!

Anyway this is the result. It doesn’t actually look quite like the photos because of my dodgy old iPhone, but you get the idea…

View attachment 105286

View attachment 105288

Edit - Look at the brightness in the signalbox. @Gloster is going to kill me!
That looks very nice. I expect there's probably a fair list of 'little things to get done on Lapford' even thought you've finished the layout itself really?
I keep having to remind myself that the models are so much smaller than I think they are when looking at these photos. Amazing work!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looks very nice. I expect there's probably a fair list of 'little things to get done on Lapford' even thought you've finished the layout itself really?
I keep having to remind myself that the models are so much smaller than I think they are when looking at these photos. Amazing work!

-Peter

Oh thanks for that. :)
There are bits to do but actually I’m quite enjoying just running trains at the moment. I might do a couple of YouTube videos at some point though.

Peter C

Established Member
Oh thanks for that. :)
There are bits to do but actually I’m quite enjoying just running trains at the moment. I might do a couple of YouTube videos at some point though.
Ah cool - I seem to be doing much the same. The videos of Lapford are always interesting; it's fun to see the trains moving!

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What about a pair of 33s on railtour to Barnstaple..?

View attachment 105431
Your photo reminds of the Sundays Only 3pm Inverness-Glasgow & Edinburgh (the only train of the day bar the Euston sleeper in fact) - 11 Mk1 coaches including a postal van and restaurant car with two burbling Sulzer Type 2s up front. Photo link available if desired ;)

I appreciate we are at totally different ends of the country here, but if your set up can remind me of a photo of a real train I think that proves you've emulated the real world in miniature there.

And 33s are just supercharged 27s really aren't they? :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Your photo reminds of the Sundays Only 3pm Inverness-Glasgow & Edinburgh (the only train of the day bar the Euston sleeper in fact) - 11 Mk1 coaches including a postal van and restaurant car with two burbling Sulzer Type 2s up front. Photo link available if desired ;)

I appreciate we are at totally different ends of the country here, but if your set up can remind me of a photo of a real train I think that proves you've emulated the real world in miniature there.

And 33s are just supercharged 27s really aren't they? :lol:

I think they basically are (leaving aside the extra two cylinders) Hexagon.
Photo link would be appreciated, but bear in mind that I’m struggling to keep the whole Scottish thing at bay right now and if my family end up going without Christmas presents it’ll probably be down to you…

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think they basically are (leaving aside the extra two cylinders) Hexagon.
Photo link would be appreciated, but bear in mind that I’m struggling to keep the whole Scottish thing at bay right now and if my family end up going without Christmas presents it’ll probably be down to you…
It's early though - 1960 too early for me but you know how whenever you look for something on Flickr you find about two dozen unrelated but interesting other items to persuse. I'm hoping the period difference will serve to lessen the impact for you - too early to model sort of thing? ;)

Maybe it'll inspire someone else

Copyright John Whiteley

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's early though - 1960 too early for me but you know how whenever you look for something on Flickr you find about two dozen unrelated but interesting other items to persuse. I'm hoping the period difference will serve to lessen the impact for you - too early to model sort of thing? ;)

Maybe it'll inspire someone else

Copyright John Whiteley

That’s just lovely.
Stop this now please.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice!

Of course, a pair of St Blazey 37s would be even better!

Right I’ve had a look and the best I can do is a pair of Dutch 37s in the gathering gloom on an HST drag on Dartmoor (that’s my 37 with the ploughs).

02D45398-ADB2-4521-8880-2F75FD54579B.jpeg

Let me know if you need something stronger…

Iskra

Established Member
Right I’ve had a look and the best I can do is a pair of Dutch 37s in the gathering gloom on an HST drag on Dartmoor (that’s my 37 with the ploughs).

View attachment 105536

Let me know if you need something stronger…
That looks excellent!

- - -

I’ve been watching a weathering tutorial video this morning. After the main weathering is done, the videographer applies enamel thinners with a brush. Could someone explain what the purpose of this is please?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve been watching a weathering tutorial video this morning. After the main weathering is done, the videographer applies enamel thinners with a brush. Could someone explain what the purpose of this is please?

I suppose that might be to get streak effects of down the body? I actually dissolved a bit of livery by doing that on a coach once so I’d definitely be careful.
I’m using Mig water based paints for weathering at the moment.

Iskra

Established Member
I suppose that might be to get streak effects of down the body? I actually dissolved a bit of livery by doing that on a coach once so I’d definitely be careful.
I’m using Mig water based paints for weathering at the moment.
Yeah it does seem a risky business, using that. Unless of course you are wanting a really run down loco where the paint is peeling off, in which case it could be quite useful!

PeterY

Established Member
Not an ideal set up in my flat. My female (Christmas has come early :D (I did buy her a new coat:wub:)), treated my to a Bachmann class 121 bubble car in BR blue.IMG_3860.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.