• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
According to the Daily Record, North Lanarkshire Council are holding a pre-application consultation this summer in relation to their share of the new Hairmyres Park and Ride station. (pre-app consultation is required for all sizeable developments in Scotland ) They're still unhappy about the decision to only partially double track the route, although the new Hairmyres station will of course be on a double track section.

sannox

According to the Daily Record, North Lanarkshire Council are holding a pre-application consultation this summer in relation to their share of the new Hairmyres Park and Ride station. (pre-app consultation is required for all sizeable developments in Scotland ) They're still unhappy about the decision to only partially double track the route, although the new Hairmyres station will of course be on a double track section.

It will be South Lanarkshire rather than North Lanarkshire.

Ahead of replacing the footbridge over the railway at Nitshill station, we are holding two community drop-in events.

This provides an opportunity to ask questions directly to members of the project about the replacement of the footbridge and on activity being delivered throughout the six-weeks.

Community Drop-in Events

Dates:
Tuesday, 20 June and Thursday, 22 June

Venue: Cleeves Primary School, Dining Hall, 271 Househillmuir Road, G53 6NL

Time: 4.30pm to 7.30pm
quoted from Barrhead to Glasgow Electrification Events

At Kennishead and Priesthill & Darnley stations, we’ll be carrying our platform ducting work, cope adjustments and parapet modifications to ensure they are compliant for an electrified railway.

Platform ducting work and cope adjustments will also take place at Barrhead station, and installing new track at Platform 3.

Part of the work involves removing of the existing footbridge at Nitshill station, as it does not provide the required clearance height for the new overhead equipment.

This will be replaced with a new ramp to Platform 2, providing step-free access that makes it easier for people with impaired mobility or those travelling with luggage, children or cycles to access this platform.

snowball

Established Member
A press release has now appeared about the above-mentioned drop-in events.

Residents will be able to find out more about the work directly from the project team.

Network Rail is inviting residents to attend two drop-in events to find out more about work taking place to prepare the Barrhead to Glasgow line for electrification.

The drop-ins will take place on Tuesday 20 June and Thursday 22 June from 4.30pm to 7.30pm at Cleeves Primary School, 271 Househillmuir Road, G53 6NL.

Members of the public will be able to speak with the Network Rail project team, who can answer any questions they may have on the project,

Towards the end of this month, engineers will be working around-the-clock to deliver platform and ducting works at Kennishead, Priesthill & Darnley, Nitshill and Barrhead stations.

New overhead power cables - needed to introduce electric services on the route – will be installed.

Activity during the six weeks also includes the removal of the existing footbridge at Nitshill, as it doesn’t provide the required clearance height for the new overhead equipment.

If I lived nearby, I would try to get to one and try to ask questions, more about EK than about the official subject!

Southsider

If I lived nearby, I would try to get to one and try to ask questions, more about EK than about the official subject!
I went along to one a month or so back. Perhaps I was unlucky but the two Network Rail people I spoke to knew less about the project than me.

OB23Gone

Similar platform work is currently being carried out at Pollokshaws West at the moment

The foot bridge between Darnley Road and Moray Place is now in place. Lots of work still to be done, but it looks pretty good so far.

Similar platform work is currently being carried out at Pollokshaws West at the moment

No work being done to the platforms at P'Shaws West. They are putting in what looks like a footpath behind the fenceline to allow contractor access to manhole covers.

OB23Gone

The foot bridge between Darnley Road and Moray Place is now in place. Lots of work still to be done, but it looks pretty good so far.

No work being done to the platforms at P'Shaws West. They are putting in what looks like a footpath behind the fenceline to allow contractor access to manhole covers.
New Foot Bridge Some Locals Comments. Most saying that it looks better than they had envisaged and a reasonable replacement for the original but preferred the old one. One lady stopped her car and shouted out that it was monstrous and too parapets were too high. Told her that the height was to deter people from climbing over so they couldn't get near the live wires she kind of took that in!!!. Her next objection was that it wasn't safe as the young kids would crawl between the spaces and fall onto the line below. When told that there would be Heavy Perspex Panels fitted in the spaces. Window up & quickly drove away. Certainly not designed for disabled and to a lesser extent elderly people. Over time with some landscaping, weathering and some stone work cladding fitted it will eventually be accepted

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 120
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 118

zwk500

Veteran Member
That's rather imposing! Presumably the steps were there beforehand so the lack of level access is grandfathered rather than an exemption? I hope they put a parapet on the steps that softens the visual transition.

snowball

Established Member
That's rather imposing! Presumably the steps were there beforehand so the lack of level access is grandfathered rather than an exemption?
There were steps before (not physically the same ones) as can be seen on Streetview:

There is a level alternative route via public roads including the recently rebuilt Nithsdale Road road bridge. This is less than 300 yards and it has been argued upthread that the new footbridge is therefore unnecessary anyway.

I hope they put a parapet on the steps that softens the visual transition.

Absence of a parapet would be unsafe. The holes in the concrete where the parapet will be attached are visible in the pictures. You can also see where the vertical concrete sides will be clad.

WesternBiker

That's rather imposing! Presumably the steps were there beforehand so the lack of level access is grandfathered rather than an exemption? I hope they put a parapet on the steps that softens the visual transition.
I rather like it - though the devil will be in the detailing (e.g. the cladding for the steps).

jagardner1984

Hilarious the usual suspects on Twitter are complaining about a lack of access for “prams” when there is another new multi million pound structure not even 100m away.

The cynic in me would suggest given parts of Glasgow have illegal levels of air quality - the pram occupant might be somewhat more affected by passing as a 156 went underneath than the terrible inconvenience of a few metres extra exercise.

A frankly laughable expense.

Attachments

• 6FDCFDB7-3A84-4D56-A37A-D3F6B72F771A.png
    6FDCFDB7-3A84-4D56-A37A-D3F6B72F771A.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 73

zwk500

Veteran Member
Hilarious the usual suspects on Twitter are complaining about a lack of access for “prams” when there is another new multi million pound structure not even 100m away.

The cynic in me would suggest given parts of Glasgow have illegal levels of air quality - the pram occupant might be somewhat more affected by passing as a 156 went underneath than the terrible inconvenience of a few metres extra exercise.

A frankly laughable expense.
It does beg the question why it was replaced rather than simply removed. I guess in the scheme of the project it's not much but it does seem somewhat over-engineered for what is a tiny convenience to the general public.

59CosG95

Established Member
It does beg the question why it was replaced rather than simply removed. I guess in the scheme of the project it's not much but it does seem somewhat over-engineered for what is a tiny convenience to the general public.
Wasn't there an outcry (from the local residents/Glasgow City Council) at the possibility of its removal without replacement?

If so, this reads to me like the locals/GCC talking with NR as follows:

GCC/locals: "Don't remove our bridge"
NR: "OK but we need to rebuild it so it's compatible with the wires"
GCC/locals: "make it look similar to the old one"
NR: *rebuilds bridge*
GCC/locals: "NO NOT LIKE THAT"

(this is, of course, a gross oversimplification at a humourous angle)

zwk500

Veteran Member
Wasn't there an outcry (from the local residents/Glasgow City Council) at the possibility of its removal without replacement?
There's always an outcry any time anybody does anything. If we want to be able to continue to actually move forward as a country we need to stop listening to hysterical people crying 'won't somebody think of the children!' as a cover for worrying about their house price.
a very accurate one though.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The bridge got rebuilt at great expense because the people who live around here have the resources to kick up a fuss about it. The exact same bridge, pretty much anywhere else, wouldn't have been rebuilt at all.

sannox

It didn't need rebuilt and is a shocking waste of money.

If anything it should have been put in the middle of the Crossmyloof / Strathbungo stretch where BR removed the bridge in the early 90s.

WesternBiker

If so, this reads to me like the locals/GCC talking with NR as follows:

GCC/locals: "Don't remove our bridge"
NR: "OK but we need to rebuild it so it's compatible with the wires"
GCC/locals: "make it look similar to the old one"
NR: *rebuilds bridge*
GCC/locals: "NO NOT LIKE THAT"

There's always an outcry any time anybody does anything. If we want to be able to continue to actually move forward as a country we need to stop listening to hysterical people crying 'won't somebody think of the children!' as a cover for worrying about their house price.
Both spot on. I came across a protest against HS1 in Westminster Square many years ago. They'd hired a truck with huge loudspeakers, and the protesters stood around, covering up their ears, with their faces scrunched up in agony at the "unbearable noise" (and of course children present too, because their hearing would be irreparably damaged). And now no-one bats an eyelid.

Just try stopping that sort of person when they want something built, mind...

It didn't need rebuilt and is a shocking waste of money.
I agree. When the project scope was reduced they cancelled electrification of the Larkfield link but they kept this unnecessary footbridge. No doubt the eventual electrification of the Larkfield link will cost a lot more than it would have cost to do it now, with the compounds and plant in place already.

I visited the site this morning. I think the new footbridge partially obscures the view of Moray Place from Darnley Road. Given that Moray Place is in a conservation area, I would have preferred no replacement at all.

Also, a roads contractor was on site - they planed off a couple of strips of the newly laid tarmac on the new road bridge and Moray Place.

snowball

Established Member
they cancelled electrification of the Larkfield link
Is it now known to have been cancelled? When last discussed upthread it seemed to be more of a plausible inference.

There's now a press release on the new footbridge:

A new footbridge was installed last weekend (June 10 -11) at Strathbungo in Glasgow’s southside.

Network Rail, along with contractor Bam Nuttall, put the new footbridge in place as part of the Glasgow to Barrhead electrification project, a Scottish Government investment to decarbonise Scotland’s railway passenger services.

The single-span bridge was successfully lifted into place over the railway, between Moray Place and Darnley Road, using a 500-tonne crane.

It replaces the former 146-year-old bridge which didn’t meet the required height clearance for an electrified railway.

That was rehomed earlier this year with Caledonian Railway, a volunteer-run charity that operates a heritage railway in Angus. The charity intends to use the old footbridge at its unique Brechin station as part of the restoration and improvement work taking place there.

Elements of the new bridge are sympathetic to the former one, including the black and white colouring of the structure and balustrades that match the railings already in place at Moray Place.

Is it now known to have been cancelled? When last discussed upthread it seemed to be more of a plausible inference.
The Strathbungo Society published a letter from Network Rail, here is an extract:
The actual lifting in of the new footbridge will take place overnight on Saturday 10 June from Darnley Road.

As previously advised, our work sites at both Darnley Road and Arnold Clark are scheduled for demobilisation in July.
The full letter is at BungoBlog

If the project were still to electrify the Larkfield link, there would have been piles, masts etc. in the ground by now.

sannox

Seems like a foolish and short sighted decision not to electrify the 900m of track as well.

MadMac

Seems like a foolish and short sighted decision not to electrify the 900m of track as well.
I wrote on this a while back. If you have, say, a points failure at Muirhouse, you can’t divert an electric and depending on where an electric is when it happens, you’ve potentially shut services from Kilmarnock, Barrhead and East Kilbride.
The Strathbungo Society published a letter from Network Rail, here is an extract:

The full letter is at BungoBlog

If the project were still to electrify the Larkfield link, there would have been piles, masts etc. in the ground by now.
So, if they’re “demobilising“ those sites, where will their compound be for EK?

I wrote on this a while back. If you have, say, a points failure at Muirhouse, you can’t divert an electric and depending on where an electric is when it happens, you’ve potentially shut services from Kilmarnock, Barrhead and East Kilbride.

So, if they’re “demobilising“ those sites, where will their compound be for EK?

They have a large compound between Thornliebank and Giffnock on the EK line. It is starting to fill up with piles and OHLE masts and associated equipment.