• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

DavidGrain

Established Member
If Adrian Shooter was running it, it would be on budget and on time but after getting to Bicester, I think it was taken off Chiltern.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nottingham59

Established Member
I remember reading that East-West rail won't be electrified? Is this true? If so, why? How much would it cost to electrify the line?
The most recent MML scheme cost £3.75M per single track km. I don't know how much cheaper it would be to do it before the line opens.
See https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/029555-2023

One key MMLE objective is ‘delivery on spend per single track kilometre (£/STK) target’. The recently commissioned London to Corby electrification was delivered at a rate of £3.7m per STK with the application of SPEED principles. The next stage of electrification is targeted to deliver £2.5m per STK. This programme focuses on challenging and driving down the STK rate. Details of all the MMLE objectives can be found in the Strategic Brief.

Nottingham59

Established Member
The projection at the beginning was that by the time the line is finished other types of clean traction might be available. Hydrogen and batteries were mentioned. I think it's clear at this point in time those technologies are not going to be fruitful by 1st operation of the line.
In many ways, EWR will be perfect for battery operation - short distances, limited to100mph top speed, electrification (planned) at both ends, OHLE at Bletchley and Bedford to top up en route, new stock due to be ordered in a few years time...

jfowkes

In many ways, EWR will be perfect for battery operation - short distances, limited to100mph top speed, electrification (planned) at both ends, OHLE at Bletchley and Bedford to top up en route, new stock due to be ordered in a few years time...
Network Rail don't seem to think so. The TDNS made it very clear that OHLE was the most sensible option. Maybe battery operation is possible, but OHLE is certainly better.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Meanwhile back to construction progress, I took a quick mobile phone snap this afternoon of the now continuous embankment where the old Gawcott Road brick arch overbridge has now been removed. Local road diversion signs suggest the road might open to traffic very soon. The view is looking southeast from just south of Portway Farm.IMG_0483.jpeg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So am I right in thinking there’s now a complete embankment? I wonder how long before the track gets joined up?
I thought so, I think the HS2 bridge is out of shot to the left.

I didn’t attempt to get a view along the tracks from the Charndon overbridge, just south of my viewpoint, because it’s subject to temporary 2 way traffic lights at the moment. I expect that’s because it’s quite a narrow bridge and the road is busier than normal carrying all the diverted traffic.

I might be able to pass through there next weekend as well so might get another updated view, if nothing else appears during the week.

Neen Sollars

New update from NWP Exploring. Not the best quality drone pics, but good enough to see the great progress of EWR through the HS2 site. Road bridge over old Calvert Station about to be demolished apparently. I think the two flooded sections show the HS2 line and the Aylesbury line next to it.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
New update from NWP Exploring. Not the best quality drone pics, but good enough to see the great progress of EWR through the HS2 site. Road bridge over old Calvert Station about to be demolished apparently. I think the two flooded sections show the HS2 line and the Aylesbury line next to it.
Thanks for that. The EWR formation now seems complete throughout, at last!

When I click on that video it starts with the timer at 9:20, but it's possible to wind back to before that. The best views of EWR are from 3:35 to 4:55 and from 7:55 to 9:30.

Ladder23

Established Member
Does anyone have progress photos of Bletchley to see now it’s looking now?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
…Road bridge over old Calvert Station about to be demolished apparently. I think the two flooded sections show the HS2 line and the Aylesbury line next to it.
The road closure starts today, 8 Nov 23, and is end dated ‘summer 2025’, so rules out that viewpoint for some time. The new feature is shown on HS2 drawings as “School Hill Green Bridge” and will be over the much debated Aylesbury link, but otherwise it’s not strictly part of the EWR project.

Am I right in thinking that a “Green Bridge” is somewhat wider than just the road and footway, and incorporates a route for wildlife to cross the railway?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

JKF

(…) Road bridge over old Calvert Station about to be demolished apparently.
Are there any elements of this that might be usefully salvaged for the GCR preserved line, even if just the bricks? I guess it’s an authentic GCR structure?

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Thank you for this. Off topic qn - is the 'reservoir' natural, or man-made? I assume the latter. Was it clay for bricks of what?
Thanks for that. The EWR formation now seems complete throughout, at last!

When I click on that video it starts with the timer at 9:20, but it's possible to wind back to before that. The best views of EWR are from 3:35 to 4:55 and from 7:55 to 9:30.
Just to check - does this mean that regardless of HS2 progress, the track and associated signalling can be installed all the way now from Bicester to Bletchley? Great news if so.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you for this. Off topic qn - is the 'reservoir' natural, or man-made? I assume the latter. Was it clay for bricks of what?

Just to check - does this mean that regardless of HS2 progress, the track and associated signalling can be installed all the way now from Bicester to Bletchley? Great news if so.
Clay extraction pits for brick making according to old OS maps - I think he’s mistaken in using the term reservoir.

This length at the intersection has been the only gap in an otherwise two track railway for a few months now. I’d be reasonably confident the final track will be laid within a few weeks.

Dr A.Johnston

Quite a bit of development happening. Here are some pictures taken by Ron, Ron, Ron of the RM Web forum (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/65959-east-west-rail-bletchley-to-oxford-line/page/139/) - E-W Track laying on the approaches to the bridge over HS2 and the future HS2 infrastructure depot.

P1062342-X5.jpg

P1062328-X5.jpg

P1062330-X5.jpg

P1062348-X5.jpg

P1062341-X5.jpg

P1062338-X5.jpg

Thanks Ron, Look forward to the next update.

Pictures taken within the last few days

Fazaar1889

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the 4th picture, the tracks are quite wobbly, how do they fix that?
They lay the rail only roughly in position, some time before the “new track construction machine” comes along with the sleepers, and sorts out the proper alignment.

So at the stage shown here the rail strings will have been delivered by a long welded rail delivery train to somewhere near the end of the finished track, and then pulled along the ballast by another machine, probably a small caterpillar tracked vehicle.

But theres a video linked in post #549 earlier:

Last edited:

Fazaar1889

They lay the rail only roughly in position, some time before the “new track construction machine“ comes along with the sleepers, and sorts out the proper alignment.

So at the stage shown here the rail strings will have been delivered by a long welded rail delivery train to somewhere near the end of the finished track, and then pulled along the ballast by another machine, probably a small caterpillar tracked vehicle.
Oooh, I see. Thanks

Neen Sollars

Great pics above. Will we see freight trains on EWR before passenger? Looks like EWR construction Bicester to Bletchley will be completed by end of June 24?

Probably the last relevant HS2 meets EWR video from Mickey 2 Cams Have a drive under the EWR over bridge.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Great pics above. Will we see freight trains on EWR before passenger? Looks like EWR construction Bicester to Bletchley will be completed by end of June 24?

Probably the last relevant HS2 meets EWR video from Mickey 2 Cams Have a drive under the EWR over bridge.

Construction might be finished, signalling and hand over to being an operational railway won't be. You won't see passenger trains in revenue earning service before 2025.

Elecman

Established Member
Construction might be finished, signalling and hand over to being an operational railway won't be. You won't see passenger trains in revenue earning service before 2025.
All the operational power supplies for Signalling/GSMR and Points heating are now installed and live.

Kingham West

All the operational power supplies for Signalling/GSMR and Points heating are now installed and live.
Good view of Bletchley , the junction view is partly blurred , but bridge now done, I noted all power supplies and compound finished. It looks really great from air, and not long till 2 halves joined. 11 Nov 2023.IMG_1225.jpegIMG_1224.jpegIMG_1216.jpeg

Neen Sollars

Thanks for the replies. I fully appreciate the time it will take to train staff and launch, probably at scheduled timetable change, a passenger service on the new route. However if the line is fully commissioned and ready to go during 2024 would the line be used for freight before passenger? Would EWR serve as a diversionary route, or a new route, and if so what traffic would be likely to use it?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I fully appreciate the time it will take to train staff and launch, probably at scheduled timetable change, a passenger service on the new route. However if the line is fully commissioned and ready to go during 2024 would the line be used for freight before passenger? Would EWR serve as a diversionary route, or a new route, and if so what traffic would be likely to use it?

I'd be surprised if the line is 'fully commissioned and ready to go' in 2024. Signalling needs to be installed along the route, commissioned and tested which is not a quick process and will take many months before handover is given to TOCs/FOCs for training and route learning. I wouldn't have thought any freight would even be planned over the route before passenger services are due to commence in 2025 although I may be wrong.