• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EC onboard map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

On Moderation
Ahh, I see. That explains it. Thanks for the clarification. I'm a newbie when it comes to all these diagrams etc. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
The site is up for me, but unless "our" set has got very lost, the map isn't working.

Karl

On Moderation
Yes, the site works for me too. But the set has been sat on the equator on the Greenwich time line. :)

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looks like the half an hour lag might be back.

It looks like they may have transferred the feed to an HST, as it is currently reporting on 1S03 0710 Leeds to Aberdeen and is presently heading north of Edinburgh

ex-railwayman

Last year it was reported (unsubstantiated) as being a GPS tracker sat inside a DVT on an East Coast Mk4 set, unsure how big a GPS tracking device is, but, I see no reason why it cannot be assembled onto another train, or, even a DMU...:D

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Last year it was reported (unsubstantiated) as being a GPS tracker sat inside a DVT on an East Coast Mk4 set, unsure how big a GPS tracking device is, but, I see no reason why it cannot be assembled onto another train, or, even a DMU...:D

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

There's no reason for it to be very big - many modern mobile phones contain one.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I think there is some confusion here.
The GPS is fitted to the entire East Coast Fleet (as well as those of some other TOCs - Virgin and GC are included to my knowledge) and provides the coordinates to the on-board WiFi which passengers see on the map on the WiFi welcome page. These display the train's position in real time.

However, only one trainset has its feed transmitted to the public webserver which can be viewed by anyone anywhere, and this is the feed which appears to be delayed and ocassionally out of service (with data defaulting to coordinates on the equator, speed zero, etc.).

Established Member
Its currently working 1S15 and is sat in Edinburgh.

FGW do something like this in Coach D on the Tv Screens.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Seems to be more or less live. It was due to stop at Kingussie at 19:18 and was at the station doing 0 mph at that time. Saying that, it jumped from 0 to 90 in a few seconds and is now doing 126! It has got some impressive acceleration tonight! I wonder if there are tunnels in the area which is preventing the signal from be transmitted?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Don't trust those speeds.

When it first hits "125mph" after setting off it's actually doing something like 80mph (I can't remember the exact figure). Above 130mph the page realises that this can't be right and flicks it onto the alternative (and correct) speed conversion mode which gives you the speed in mph. Then on the way back down the speed flips back to the incorrect version.

Whereas the last time I looked the "device id" for the GPS feed was something like 1113 I think it is now 1156, so this is a completely different set of kit on a different train to a couple of months ago. I wonder why they've switched it, although I doubt we'll find out.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Seems to be more or less live. It was due to stop at Kingussie at 19:18 and was at the station doing 0 mph at that time. Saying that, it jumped from 0 to 90 in a few seconds and is now doing 126! It has got some impressive acceleration tonight! I wonder if there are tunnels in the area which is preventing the signal from be transmitted?
Yes, I was on it.
There were some unusually fast stretches, arriving early at some points.
The drop from Slochd to the Findhorn Viaduct was at a remarkable speed, and I assumed that the driver was in a rush for another cuppa, but no, he strolled off at Inverness as if there was nothing to do.

You're right that tunnels, and even deep cuttings such as at Slochd, will reduce the chances of a positional fix and the speed displays will be erratic as the software makes corrections.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
On 1S11 1000 King's Cross-Aberdeen today, so definitely an HST.
The signal seems to give the live position again (bang on time at Newark), after a spell of being 30min retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.