• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR class 156s for Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
156410 is today paired with 156413 and was on the 0822 Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Oxford Road. I saw it at Liverpool South Parkway as I was boarding 156404 to go into Lime Street.

NORMAN471

The_Train

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that the Northern 156s are primarily managed by Newton Heath and Heaton depots?

SteveyBee131

Am I right in thinking that the Northern 156s are primarily managed by Newton Heath and Heaton depots?
Indeed so. They don't go to Neville Hill as no staff with both traction and route knowledge. Some may stable at Longsight, but not for maintenance. To the best of my (not insider) knowledge anyway!

Geeves

Established Member
There's a few at Leeds that do sign 156s and York sign Manchester Vic - York - Newcastle and do the transfers north when required. To be fair alot of adhoc random transfer work is done by Rail Operations Group these days

The_Train

Established Member
Indeed so. They don't go to Neville Hill as no staff with both traction and route knowledge. Some may stable at Longsight, but not for maintenance. To the best of my (not insider) knowledge anyway!
Thank you :)

SteveyBee131

Heaton 156s actually do go to Neville Hill for tyre turning.

There's a few at Leeds that do sign 156s and York sign Manchester Vic - York - Newcastle and do the transfers north when required. To be fair alot of adhoc random transfer work is done by Rail Operations Group these days
It would appear I stand corrected :oops: every day is a school day! ;)

td97

Established Member
156409 was in service today looking immaculate both outside and in (with reupholstered seating, although no digital mods yet). Unfortunately its reliability has been problematic, causing part cancellations on the Clitheroe branch before eventually being removed from service this afternoon and taken to Newton Heath.
Delays/cancellations this morning following a fault on the ECS run:

Later in the day, a train fault at Clitheroe meant it was taken out of service at Manchester Victoria

The ex-EMR units don't seem to be in a good mechanical state, with 156414 breaking down on Saturday too

AMD

Fault on 409 was failure to get the breaks off at Clitheroe.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The ex-EMR units don't seem to be in a good mechanical state, with 156414 breaking down on Saturday too
They're in a shocking state interior wise too. To be honest even in EMT days their 153s and 156s were very scruffy-looking. Ironic that when they got a few from (old) Northern several years ago they put rather snotty notices up apologising for the condition and blaming the previous operators. Glass houses, eh? ;)

Geeves

Established Member
Here's a general in service and what not snap shot. Doesn't look too catastrophic

401 - Blackburn - Rainford
402 - Buxton
403 - Oxford Rd - Lime St
404 - Oxford Rd - Lime St
405 - Southport - Staly
406 - Southport - Staly
408 - Newton Heath
409 - Newton Heath
410 - Rochdale - Clitheroe
411 - Newton Heath
412 - Rochdale - Clitheroe
413 - Preston - Colne
414 - Buxton, Chinley, Hazel Grove
415 - Newton Heath
416 - Wolverton
417 - Wolverton
419 - Buxton
422 - Preston (spare)

Established Member
They're in a shocking state interior wise too. To be honest even in EMT days their 153s and 156s were very scruffy-looking. Ironic that when they got a few from (old) Northern several years ago they put rather snotty notices up apologising for the condition and blaming the previous operators. Glass houses, eh? ;)
I always thought the EMT interior as quite smart. When the GA 156's turned up now they were scruffy.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I always thought the EMT interior as quite smart. When the GA 156's turned up now they were scruffy.
It was smart when new, but the bright red looks very washed-out after a few years of being faded by sunlight. The material used also doesn't wear well, in particular the seats on the Meridian units were quite threadbare the last time I was on one.

WillPS

Established Member
It was smart when new, but the bright red looks very washed-out after a few years of being faded by sunlight. The material used also doesn't wear well, in particular the seats on the Meridian units were quite threadbare the last time I was on one.
The Meridians have a different fabric/moquette to what EMT installed on everything else. It's more smooth and less carpety than what everything else got.

On Moderation
The Meridians have a different fabric/moquette to what EMT installed on everything else. It's more smooth and less carpety than what everything else got.
The Meridians got flat cloth as opposed to the moquette used on everything else.

AMD

Considering the stripping down and rebuilding that has/ is being done to 409, 416 & 417; how far gone is 407????

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Surely using the Brodie's Unit that I think is sitting idle must make more sense than this level of work...
Do we know why that particular unit was stopped, and why it wasn't one of the ones sent to Northern? Was it in a particularly bad state or was it just more awkward due to being an oddity ownership-wise?
I'd have thought it might be in better condition than some, having been comprehensively rebuilt by Brodies after it went for its impromptu swim.

childwallblues

Established Member
Noted 156409 at Liverpool South Parkway this morning paired with 150122. Externally the unit looks fantastic.
On the other platform going into Liverpool were EMT liveried 156410 paired with 150119.

170UTD

td97

Established Member
Surely taking one back to the bare bodyshell and replacing half of that before totally rebuilding it from scratch must cost more than building some 195s.
Cost quoted as approaching £500k per vehicle for the worst case bodywork repairs.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Could of got more 195s at that price.
The original Civity order was for 281 vehicles at a cost of £492 million, which is about £1750k per vehicle, so still considerably more expensive (though of course that's not necessarily representative of the cost of an add-on order)

Status
Not open for further replies.