• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

OTRail

I have been advised that 170515 is leaving WMR for EMR today via Crewe for repaint etc.

Mark
I’ve heard some of them might be coming back to WMR in EMR livery on loan due to 196 delays, not sure how true this is though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
I’ve heard some of them might be coming back to WMR in EMR livery on loan due to 196 delays, not sure how true this is though.
Also I have heard very locally here on the snow Hill lines my local line. That the wmr 170s will remain from may on Birmingham new st to Hereford/Worcester and Shrewsbury services. As a result off 196 issues and no door guard control panels provided in the train which was agreed in the recent disputes. Plus other issues as well. Affecting the 196s. Unlike northern these will not come into service until the issues sorted. However I am have also heard the same. As this op. But also have been informed via various other channels that as a possibility emr could be hiring in some 170s from scotrail as a sub lease. But again speculative industry rumours. Mainly due to the fact on the situation off 156s to northern due to them being sub leased to emr at the momment and to keep costs down etc. Due to on northerns side about the 153 dispensation after may. And mainly due to the fact due to the Blackburn to Wigan service now being extended to kirkby from may 2021 and 153 not allowed to Wigan Wallgate. Means no more 153s on via copy pit . On the Wigan to Blackburns anymore. Because being extended to kirkby means extra 156s are needed etc hence the ones from emr. Pity though easy temporary measure for northern would be to use 142s still on lease and in store at heaton and money being spent on them. And keep 170s etc on wmr/emr for social distancing issues.

OTRail

Also I have heard very locally here on the snow Hill lines my local line. That the wmr 170s will remain from may on Birmingham new st to Hereford/Worcester and Shrewsbury services. As a result off 196 issues and no door guard control panels provided in the train which was agreed in the recent disputes. Plus other issues as well. Affecting the 196s. Unlike northern these will not come into service until the issues sorted. However I am have also heard the same. As this op. But also have been informed via various other channels that as a possibility emr could be hiring in some 170s from scotrail as a sub lease. But again speculative industry rumours. Mainly due to the fact on the situation off 156s to northern due to them being sub leased to emr at the momment and to keep costs down etc. Due to on northerns side about the 153 dispensation after may. And mainly due to the fact due to the Blackburn to Wigan service now being extended to kirkby from may 2021 and 153 not allowed to Wigan Wallgate. Means no more 153s on via copy pit . On the Wigan to Blackburns anymore. Because being extended to kirkby means extra 156s are needed etc hence the ones from emr. Pity though easy temporary measure for northern would be to use 142s still on lease and in store at heaton and money being spent on them. And keep 170s etc on wmr/emr for social distancing issues.
I’ve heard rumors the Chiltern 172s could be subleased for usage on the Snow Hill Lines to enable WMR’s other 172s to cover the 3 170s that have already gone off lease, but I highly doubt any stock will move on EMR’s end at present.

warwickshire

On Moderation
I’ve heard rumors the Chiltern 172s could be subleased for usage on the Snow Hill Lines to enable WMR’s other 172s to cover the 3 170s that have already gone off lease, but I highly doubt any stock will move on EMR’s end at present.
The delay off the 156s have been confirmed on Facebook the northern rail enthusiasts page the other night. Due to delays elsewhere and will remain with emr for a short while.
However northern are keeping some 153s . Number unknown to cover for 156s to be kept at emrs end.

OTRail

The delay off the 156s have been confirmed on Facebook the northern rail enthusiasts page the other night. Due to delays elsewhere and will remain with emr for a short while.
However northern are keeping some 153s . Number unknown to cover for 156s to be kept at emrs end.
I’m not surprised - EMR leased the 156s from Greater Anglia to replace the 153s, with them being replaced once the 196s release WMR’s fleet of 170s. Letting go of the 156s now will make a huge dent in their regional fleet, whereas Northern can easily manage with their current stock.

Ethan1852

On Real Time Trains Leicester to Lincoln/Grimsby Town services are pathed as either 158/170 after the may timetable change indicating it is most likely to get the 170s next.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
EMR internal channel documents released to staff are suggesting of the 7 x 170s (5 x /4 and 2 x /5) that are present in the franchise, at least 4 more are required as a minimum for the May timetable change.

OTRail

EMR internal channel documents released to staff are suggesting of the 7 x 170s (5 x /4 and 2 x /5) that are present in the franchise, at least 4 more are required as a minimum for the May timetable change.
I thought 515 was at Crewe, or is that returning to WMR first?

Established Member
On Real Time Trains Leicester to Lincoln/Grimsby Town services are pathed as either 158/170 after the may timetable change indicating it is most likely to get the 170s next.
along with the Nottingham - Worksop's, Newark - Crewe and the odd Nottingham - Derby.
I thought 515 was at Crewe, or is that returning to WMR first?
515 and 531 are at Crewe.

SteveyBee131

The Cleethorpes to Barton-on-Humber is also showing as pathed for 158/170, but I personally think it's unlikely just yet.

Edit to add that either Lincoln crews would need to learn the route, or Cleethorpes crews would need to learn the traction

Chiltern006

Credit to Liam Gregory on Facebook

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1615070505828.jpg
    FB_IMG_1615070505828.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 329

py_megapixel

Established Member
Credit to Liam Gregory on Facebook
Now that looks great! The EMR logo on the front really suits it
Is it me or does that logo look like there's something uneven about it?

To me it looks like the spacing between the "E" and the "M" is a tad too wide, and the whole thing is very slightly slanted to the right.

Maybe I'm just overanalysing though.

OTRail

Is it me or does that logo look like there's something uneven about it?

To me it looks like the spacing between the "E" and the "M" is a tad too wide, and the whole thing is very slightly slanted to the right.

Maybe I'm just overanalysing though.
Ever so slightly, but that’s most probably due to the angle at which the picture was taken.

Domh245

Established Member
And another new font style for the numbers! It's not as bold as the curvy design ScotRail used for a while though - I do like it!

It's the same font that's been used on the ex-Scotrail 170s, just larger. Also of note, are the top marker light and lamp brackets both being purple!

DDB

Been told no further 170 cascades from other TOCs between June and December.
Does that imply the planned Dec 21 changes will be postponed?
It wouldn't surprise me given the postponment of the Dec 20 changes (mainly long distance but some local) untill May 21.

TheBigD

Established Member
So where does that leave EMR? How many 170s, 158s, 156s and 153s(?) will it have available for the May timetable?

RealTrains07

Established Member
So where does that leave EMR? How many 170s, 158s, 156s and 153s(?) will it have available for the May timetable?
They will be getting 7 170s from WMR by May as they will be essential for the timetable according to modern railways February issue.

So they should in theory have 12 170s altogether by the may timetable change.

OTRail

Per the EMR livery thread some of the ex-GA 156s (3) have moved to Barrow Hill for storage.

OTRail

They will be back, I think.
So it was noted in the other thread - I don’t understand why they’d move to storage now of all times. You would’ve thought it would be at the start of the January lockdown...