• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Aictos

Established Member
As the 170s are meant to replace the Class 15X fleets, have any of the Class 170 fleet worked any of the Peterborough to Lincoln services/Doncaster via Lincoln service at all?

Or are they pairs of Class 153s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
According to an EMR company magazine. Only 4 WMR 170s will be transferring over in time for the May timetable.
Another thread was discussing that WMT is borrowing Chiltern's four Class 172/1s in lieu of the delayed Class 196.

43102EMR

Established Member
Another thread was discussing that WMT is borrowing Chiltern's four Class 172/1s in lieu of the delayed Class 196.
That sounds like a move that makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a permanent move given the announcements by SWR and GN of removing their limited-use stock.

GA's old stock is going downhill so I wouldn't be suprised if Abellio are doing a similar thing with WMT.
I went on a 379 the other day and all seemed perfectly fine - both the interior and exteriors were in good condition. Then again, that is the newest stock of GA’s old fleet.

newtownmgr

Yes, but it's not WMT, so they don't care at WMT. Group company has surprisingly little influence on operations.
Units are currently owned by EMR & subleased back to WMR. I should imagine EMR have a large say in things at present.

On Moderation
Units are currently owned by EMR & subleased back to WMR. I should imagine EMR have a large say in things at present.
Technically they are owned by Porterbrook, leased to EMR and sub-leased back to WMR.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As the 170s are meant to replace the Class 15X fleets, have any of the Class 170 fleet worked any of the Peterborough to Lincoln services/Doncaster via Lincoln service at all?

Or are they pairs of Class 153s?

They are replacing the 15x fleet.

None are in use on Lincolnshire services yet, only Nottingham-Worksop and Derby-Crewe. The eastern depots are in the process of driver and guard training on the 170s.

Lincs services are currently in the hands of 156/158 - pairs of 153s on the Barton services only.

Aictos

Established Member
They are replacing the 15x fleet.

None are in use on Lincolnshire services yet, only Nottingham-Worksop and Derby-Crewe. The eastern depots are in the process of driver and guard training on the 170s.

Lincs services are currently in the hands of 156/158 - pairs of 153s on the Barton services only.
Apologies for asking another question but the EMR services that serve Peterborough, what depots do that work and when can we expect all depots to be trained up on the traction? Is May to much positive thinking?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Apologies for asking another question but the EMR services that serve Peterborough, what depots do that work and when can we expect all depots to be trained up on the traction? Is May to much positive thinking?

Peterborough-Lincoln is split between Nottingham and Lincoln depots.

Nottingham-Norwich is Nottingham and Norwich depots.

Training will be ongoing for sometime, certainly won’t be complete by May. I don’t think anyone from Norwich has been as of yet.

Aictos

Established Member

Training will be ongoing for sometime, certainly won’t be complete by May. I don’t think anyone from Norwich has been as of yet.
Ahh okay, thanks for the update.

bunnahabhain

Established Member

Indeed, Norwich haven't started yet, I'd say the majority of Nottingham guards have now learned them, and all Derby guards. Drivers is taking much longer as the course size is half that of guards and almost twice as long so getting folk through that is more time consuming. A best guesstimate would be over 1/3 of Nottingham drivers now sign.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Just to update thread further yesterday Saturday the 10th April 2021. 170503 which has been repainted into east Midlands railways livery.
However this unit moved from crewe to tyseley Depot. Instead. Does anyone know why ? Has west Midlands got this unit back on temporary hire to may ?.

LowLevel

Established Member
Just to update thread further yesterday Saturday the 10th April 2021. 170503 which has been repainted into east Midlands railways livery.
However this unit moved from crewe to tyseley Depot. Instead. Does anyone know why ? Has west Midlands got this unit back on temporary hire to may ?.
Yep, continuing to work out of Tyseley for a few more weeks.

43102EMR

Established Member
I saw an image of 170503 earlier, has it been branded, because looked to be plain purple (although the picture was from a distance).
Yes it’s been branded - this is a similar situation to TPE’s 350s.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Do we know if 170503 is likely to be out daily including weekends?
Best place to ask would be on the day on the tops threads.
Was at tyseley Depot on Monday.
But not in sight rest off this week.
However have been told via very reliable sources it is going to be used until may 2021 timetable change in the west Midlands. Hence its return to west Midlands trains etc.

warwickshire

On Moderation
170532 now debranded on it's way from tyseley L.M.D to crewe lnwr for repainting another unit to transfer to east Midlands railways from west Midlands.

newtownmgr

509 has been running around at least partly debranded so i suspect that will be the last of the initial 7 to go. That will put 503,509,515,530-532 & 534 with EMR by the end of May. The rest will follow once the 196’s are in service. Whether the remainder go through Crewe whilst still with WMR time will tell, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

D.K.TAYLOR

170503 and 170501 on the 09-00 Birmingham to Shrewsbury viewed through Coseley this morning