• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

High Dyke

Established Member
Will be a 170 until further notice - so Norwich traincrew can maintain their competence on 170s
I can't say for certain - I don't have access to train diagrams etc; however, it has been a Cl.170 on that service Monday - Friday recently. Every possibility it may be like that for a while, but short notice changes can take place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

liamf656

I can't say for certain - I don't have access to train diagrams etc; however, it has been a Cl.170 on that service Monday - Friday recently. Every possibility it may be like that for a while, but short notice changes can take place.
I think Pippy’s comment was more of a statement than a question ;)

It is indeed standard practice for the foreseeable

170417 is being sent down to Tyseley for repairs, although I’m uncertain as to what the repairs are

Last edited:

Liam L

Saw 170273 at Tyseley yesterday as I was heading towards SOL... Any ideas as to why it's there?
I think another one went down yesterday aswell.

liamf656

Saw 170273 at Tyseley yesterday as I was heading towards SOL... Any ideas as to why it's there?
I think another one went down yesterday aswell.
The other one is 170418. I believe 417 has returned to Nottingham

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm sure info will appear here as and when more arrive. We're waiting for 196s to enter service in order for WMR to release more 170s
We’re also waiting on more Mark 4 sets to enter service with TfW to release 170201-206, 270-271 and 273.

animationmilo

We’re also waiting on more Mark 4 sets to enter service with TfW to release 170201-206, 270-271 and 273.
TFW also have 170207, 170208, 170272

170273 has left to EMR already so theres 11 left with TFW. 8 x 3 car and 3 x 2 car

43102EMR

Established Member
They will but I think they will be a "long sooner" until replacements are in place.
273 only moved over as it was made spare at Canton - 11 required for daily use including spare units, meaning 273 was available to be released I believe.

Sunday8pm

Is there any update on when Class 170 services will run on Nottingham to Grantham/Skegness?

hooverboy

On Moderation
Is there any update on when Class 170 services will run on Nottingham to Grantham/Skegness?
Presumably there are likely to be a lot of re-shuffles stock-wise due to southern 171's being retained+ WMR stock delays, so I wouldn't hold out a great deal of hope any time soon.

I guess now would actually be quite a good time for EMR to start putting out feelers to Alstom for the 3 car hydrogen aventra's purportedly for Scotrail.They are the right sort of stock and specification to be running this line,and it was one of the commitments EMR made during the franchise process to trial some hydrogen trains.

LowLevel

Established Member
They have been doing for the last 6 months or so, at least. 07, 12, 17xx Nottingham - Skegness on weekdays, and more on weekends.

Impey0711

On Moderation
I went on 170532 yesterday looks great in the new livery but the green interior let's it down although in fairly good condition still.......

43102EMR

Established Member
They have been on the Lincoln - Peterborough leg but not sure if it is still the case.
They have indeed worked the Doncaster leg a number of times from what I’ve seen - test runs were also conducted in April

QSK19

I presume that the leases for the WMR 170s have now transferred to EMR and they’re being subleased to WMR? If so, can’t EMR put their foot down and say “enough is enough, we want our 170s: delayed introduction of the 196s is nothing to do with us”? Or do sub-leases have some sort of clause to say that the lessee can’t leave the sub-lessee bereft of rolling stock? Or, given that the DfT has taken on financial liabilities, is the lease/sub-lease issue now irrelevant?

Last edited:

newtownmgr

I presume that the leases for the WMR 170s have now transferred to EMR and they’re being subleased to WMR? If so, can’t EMR put their foot down and say “enough is enough, we want our 170s: delayed introduction of the 196s is nothing to do with us”? Or do sub-leases have some sort of clause to say that the lessee can’t leave the sub-lessee bereft of rolling stock? Or, given that the DfT has taken on financial liabilities, is the lease/sub-lease issue now irrelevant?
And what do WMR use if EMR decided to do that!

Liam L

EMR have sub-leased them back to WMR, the 170s will be released for the Shrewsbury services first when the 196s are introduced next year.

If EMR did force the 170s away WMR (very highly unlikely) how would Shrewsbury service be covered if EMR took the remainer? Wolves and Shrewsbury crews (think that’s who run the Shrewsbury route) don’t sign 172s like the Worcester crews do.

Spirit555

EMR have sub-leased them back to WMR, the 170s will be released for the Shrewsbury services first when the 196s are introduced next year.

If EMR did force the 170s away WMR (very highly unlikely) how would Shrewsbury service be covered if EMR took the remainer? Wolves and Shrewsbury crews (think that’s who run the Shrewsbury route) don’t sign 172s like the Worcester crews do.
Can I add that, Birmingham New Street crews also cover the Shrewsbury services. No New Street men sign 172's at all and also don't sign numerous routes other crews do in the area.

Mark