• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

LowLevel

Established Member
All I will say is they must mostly only appear in the afternoon then because since they started in passenger service, I see a average of 32 services every weekday morning and not once have any of them been a short formed service.

Therefore I believe they're very much in the minority.

I get every shortformed train sent through to my work mobile so I can offer some specifics.

Today there are 14 Corby services running 4 vice 8 (2 unit diagrams, effectively) - 7 round trips.

Yesterday there were 28 Corby services running 4 vice 8 - 14 round trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
EMR seem to be taking quite a bit of flak on social media over these units with the biggest complaint being the general shoddiness of the interior. I can't help but feel that EMR have missed a trick in not getting at least some of them overhauled internally before entering them into service - people are not currently falling for the 'new' train advertising

Goldfish62

Established Member
EMR seem to be taking quite a bit of flak on social media over these units with the biggest complaint being the general shoddiness of the interior. I can't help but feel that EMR have missed a trick in not getting at least some of them overhauled internally before entering them into service - people are not currently falling for the 'new' train advertising
I'm not in the least bit surprised. With their current 2+3 seating and total lack of tables they're certainly a comfort downgrade. While the seats were retrimmed a few years ago, the interiors are untouched, including the carpets.

I know Covid has been cited as the reason for them not being refurbished prior to introduction, but then that's used as an excuse for a lot of things.

The_Train

Established Member
I'm not in the least bit surprised. With their current 2+3 seating and total lack of tables they're certainly a comfort downgrade. While the seats were retrimmed a few years ago, the interiors are untouched, including the carpets.

I know Covid has been cited as the reason for them not being refurbished prior to introduction, but then that's used as an excuse for a lot of things.
The layout has been another source of frustration. I think that users of the route have gone from HSTs-->Meridian's-->360s over the years - at least the changeover to Meridian's still left them with an Intercity train but I get the impression (and that is all it is as I've not travelled myself) from what I read that the 360s don't have that Intercity feel and are more of a commuter train

Goldfish62

Established Member
The layout has been another source of frustration. I think that users of the route have gone from HSTs-->Meridian's-->360s over the years - at least the changeover to Meridian's still left them with an Intercity train but I get the impression (and that is all it is as I've not travelled myself) from what I read that the 360s don't have that Intercity feel and are more of a commuter train
Yes, they're very much a commuter train in their current format. Without tables and only one toilet they are actually lower spec than the 350s and 450s.

Wolfie

Established Member
Yes, they're very much a commuter train in their current format. Without tables and only one toilet they are actually lower spec than the 350s and 450s.
With respect to the toilet thing that's accurate. 350/2s don't have tables either.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Without Covid I think it’s very likely they wouldn’t be on the MML at all...

Ianno87

Veteran Member

An Intercity "feel" probably isn't really right for this route - it's only a fluke of history that is what it has traditionally had.

Something akin to the ambience of a 350/1 or a 444 would be about right for what the route needs and the market it serves.

43102EMR

Established Member
An Intercity "feel" probably isn't really right for this route - it's only a fluke of history that is what it has traditionally had.

Something akin to the ambience of a 350/1 or a 444 would be about right for what the route needs and the market it serves.
If it wasn’t for acceleration, fleet size and leasing costs, the 379s would’ve been a much better fit for the Corby service IMO (not that I hate the 360s, they just got stung by the lack of investment in them over the years...)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

You're probably right about it that, it's a similar distance from London to Northampton.

Being pedantic about it, the only city served is London so calling it "intercity" would be inaccurate unless a call at St. Albans was added.

Goldfish62

Established Member

By all accounts that's exactly what the refurbishment will achieve.

D365

Veteran Member
If it wasn’t for acceleration, fleet size and leasing costs, the 379s would’ve been a much better fit for the Corby service IMO (not that I hate the 360s, they just got stung by the lack of investment in them over the years...)
What do you mean by acceleration? Surely the 360/1 and 379 are very comparable.

43102EMR

Established Member
What do you mean by acceleration? Surely the 360/1 and 379 are very comparable.
The 360 outranks the 379 on acceleration I believe - 0.98ms/2 on a 360 compared to 0.72ms/2 on a 379. The 379 only has the advantage in that it’s newer and has a more appropriate interior.

aleggatta

The 360 outranks the 379 on acceleration I believe - 0.98ms/2 on a 360 compared to 0.72ms/2 on a 379. The 379 only has the advantage in that it’s newer and has a more appropriate interior.
I think the 360 might also have the advantage that it has scope for a significantly high MTIN under Siemens care, something which I think Bombardier would struggle, not that they have ever looked after their own EMU’s directly to provide a like for like comparison.

43102EMR

Established Member
I think the 360 might also have the advantage that it has scope for a significantly high MTIN under Siemens care, something which I think Bombardier would struggle, not that they have ever looked after their own EMU’s directly to provide a like for like comparison.
That is true - then again Electrostars have been maintained at Cauldwell in the past. Either that or seeing as they’re cleared through the Thameslink core, maintenance at Hornsey would’ve been reasonable also.

nw1

Established Member
You're probably right about it that, it's a similar distance from London to Northampton.

Being pedantic about it, the only city served is London so calling it "intercity" would be inaccurate unless a call at St. Albans was added.

Would agree here, I haven't visited Wellingborough, Kettering or Corby but from what I gather all are medium-sized towns which wouldn't really warrant an IC service to London (though, except Corby, they could still receive calls on northbound ICs heading to Leicester, etc)

Contentiously, one wonders whether if there were still 387s on Thameslink, should they have been served by Thameslink instead to save a path or two? Would agree that 700s are not really suitable for journeys of this distance, but the 387s may well have been fine.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
but the 387s may well have been fine.

387s weren’t that much different to a 700 inside. I prefer the latter.

And no (as ever) when these decisions were taken it would not have made sense to extend Thameslink to
Corby. Insufficient capacity (on the trains).

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The 379 only has the advantage in that it’s newer and has a more appropriate interior.
Neither is really an advantage - the interior in the 360 can be made appropriate - indeed if a refit is happening, it is better to use the train with the interior more in need of being updated - the problem is that it hasn't happened yet which is a shame. I dont think the age difference matters - the designs are broadly contemporary.

CBlue

387s weren’t that much different to a 700 inside. I prefer the latter.

And no (as ever) when these decisions were taken it would not have made sense to extend Thameslink to
Corby. Insufficient capacity (on the trains).
Off topic but completely right. 387s and 700s have near identical seats, although the 700 rides slightly better at speed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The other advantage of the 379 over the 360 would have been end gangways.

Goldfish62

Established Member
However, I believe these cannot (or usually do not) open in service due to uncouplings in service
What I was told by a source at Greater Anglia it is simply that they cannot be bothered to open and close the gangways when coupling/uncoupling due to the number of internal doors involved so decided to leave them closed. It's the 317s where a potential uncoupling issue was detected.

westcoaster

Established Member
The other advantage of the 379 over the 360 would have been end gangways.
Guessing this is a DOO issue. But on TL we ran 377 and 387 is service with doors open.

Personally I think the 379 would have been a better fit (apparently RMT has called for industrial action on the 360's as they want staff on each unit) due to open gangways.

bramling

Veteran Member
Guessing this is a DOO issue. But on TL we ran 377 and 387 is service with doors open.

Personally I think the 379 would have been a better fit (apparently RMT has called for industrial action on the 360's as they want staff on each unit) due to open gangways.

Don’t really see why it needs to be an issue. There’s certainly DOO operations which have quite happily run two or even three non-gangwayed units on comparable services without incident for many years - Great Northern, Great Eastern and Chiltern spring to mind.

If such services have successfully run with DOO then I really don’t see why it should be a problem with a crew-operated train.

It’s interesting to observe that there’s a number of examples where gangways have existed on trains and have fallen out of use over time, in a few cases even being removed altogether. I’m not sure they’re as important as is sometimes made out, especially if there’s no short platform issues on the route.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Nothing to do with DOO. For a service with a significant travel time to the first stop, and platform access behind the buffer stops, it makes sense to have through gangways to allow passengers to distribute down the train and on-train staff to get to all the passengers. Especially if EMR continues the traditional practice of not letting people onto the platform at St Pancras until a few minutes before departure.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Don’t really see why it needs to be an issue. There’s certainly DOO operations which have quite happily run two or even three non-gangwayed units on comparable services without incident for many years - Great Northern, Great Eastern and Chiltern spring to mind.

If such services have successfully run with DOO then I really don’t see why it should be a problem with a crew-operated train.
There are 455+456+456 formations on SWR (I caught one last week) so clearly not a problem there.

I think gangways are a nice to have, and really a necessity on services where there's only one trolley (eg Glasgow-Edinburgh), but it's notable around the world that the UK appears to be in the minority having so many gangwayed units.

Nothing to do with DOO. For a service with a significant travel time to the first stop, and platform access behind the buffer stops, it makes sense to have through gangways to allow passengers to distribute down the train and on-train staff to get to all the passengers. Especially if EMR continues the traditional practice of not letting people onto the platform at St Pancras until a few minutes before departure.
But yes, very good points.

Maddog83

Refits are happening this year and will be to a high standard from what I have seen. Will be very much similar to the 350s with their info screens. It will be 2+2 as discussed with seats not round tables having airline style tables. Colours look good and the seats will be as per the 170s. Wifi and sockets and additional luggage racking etc. Very much doubt 1st will make a return but with the higher standard of seating and comfort than the 350s and the short commuter distance they are covering from corby is it really needed.

This may have already been posted.

Attachments

• 20210606_204230.jpg
    20210606_204230.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 313