• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

Established Member
I think the 360s are a good, solid train - just with a little TLC and a decent refurbishment, IMO they’ll be what the Connect service needs and deserves :D

A real pity the refurbishment appears not to be happening, at least for now. They will seem a lot worse once the shiny new 810s come in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m not sure it would really be fair to say the 360s are worse than the Meridian standard class, these days. And at least you can use your phone on them!
Solely my opinion but I find the 222s to have the nicest standard class of the UK rolling stock, worn or otherwise.

Established Member
Solely my opinion but I find the 222s to have the nicest standard class of the UK rolling stock, worn or otherwise.

The design is decent, just a little tired, and the seat cushions have collapsed. There’s an atmosphere of mild neglect setting in these days, which is a pity, albeit inevitable when they’re being run down towards replacement.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Fleet interiors prob need a refurb every 15 years. They have not had it. They are filthy ingrained with dirt, clapped out seating, not cleaned regularly and no cleaning of any substance during the day. They are a disgrace. fares are high and discounted advance fares are not plentiful.
The service has declined substantially since the franchise award.

class397tpe

I’ve always been of the opinion that we in EMR land have been subject to a rotten deal when it comes to rolling stock. I think that EMR was a victim of unfortunate timing - its sister franchises, WMR and GA, sorted out their rolling stock plans when quality was a key aspect of procurement; however EMR’s fleet plans came when the DfT started to tighten the purse strings and quality went out of the window. We’ve had to put up with appalling cascades (ex-LNER HST fiasco and 156/9s as pertinent examples) and, as you reflect, fundamental issues still aren’t sorted nearly 4 years later.

Unfortunately, the 360 refurbishment situation is a rather sad state of affairs. Other TOCs seemingly get refurbishments on tap (yes, I know that there are specific reasons behind the Pendo and Northern refurbishments); however, the 360s are in desperate need of interior TLC, yet the DfT won’t even give replacement carpets.

At this rate, I would put money on the EMR brand disappearing before the 360s get refurbished.
Completely agree with other operators seemingly getting refurbishments on tap - what is it at EMR that means getting a refurbishment is so difficult? Can't think of any other operator where there's been an ordeal like this - refurbishments just seem to happen when needed everywhere else with no issues - they just get on with it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On the contrary, your entire intercity fleet is being replaced with brand new bimode trains. The Regional 156s have all gone in the bin and EMR has clearly been priorotised over other TOCs for standardising (as much as it can) on class 170s and 158s. I don't doubt the 360s are a bit threadbare and not really what customers should expect for journeys into the city, but o nthe whole the wheels are there, they just need interior refurbishment and upgrade.
Indeed if the DFT hadn’t lost their nerve on splitting the Nottingham Liverpool service off they’d possibly be standardised on 170 for DMU routes already…

QSK19

Completely agree with other operators seemingly getting refurbishments on tap - what is it at EMR that means getting a refurbishment is so difficult? Can't think of any other operator where there's been an ordeal like this - refurbishments just seem to happen when needed everywhere else with no issues - they just get on with it.
I think a genuine reason for not refurbishing the permanent Regional fleet is that the services were in such a bad state with all the cancellations and short-forms that there was no way any stock could be released for refurbishment; however there is now no excuse not to finalise the spec and get on with it.

As for Connect, again issues at the beginning (run down condition when inherited from GA, training on rolling stock, lack of familiarity with electric traction, external refurb at Eastleigh) made a lack of internal refurbishment permissible, but here we are over 2 years later and absolutely nothing.

A sad state of affairs whilst the can seems to continuously get kicked down the road. I fully acknowledge that we do have stock to run the services, it does get us from A to B (which is ultimately what we want) and the fleet is being modernised; but there is simply no excuse not to invest in making its stock as comfortable as possible for passengers.

Last edited:

RailWonderer

Established Member
Nowhere near to the same extent, thankfully!

I’m not sure it would really be fair to say the 360s are worse than the Meridian standard class, these days. And at least you can use your phone on them!
I’ve never understood this complaint about having no signal on the Meridians. I use an iPhone with an O2 sim I’ve had for years (and Vodafone before) and I’ve always had perfect signal on them.

AJDesiro

I think it's very much about the timing. I believe that the reason the 390s were refurbished was since the contracts had already been signed prior to the NRC commencing, perhaps this hadn't happened at EMR? I may not be correct, though.

Mikey C

Established Member
I think it's very much about the timing. I believe that the reason the 390s were refurbished was since the contracts had already been signed prior to the NRC commencing, perhaps this hadn't happened at EMR? I may not be correct, though.
And the 390s are a "flagship" fleet for the UK so much higher profile.

QSK19

And the 390s are a "flagship" fleet for the UK so much higher profile.
Which is where I think EMR falls down - I feel that, on the mainline side, they are not seen as having as much importance as, say, Avanti or LNER - up against the 390s and 80x, the 810s and 360s would be at the bottom of the list when it comes to profile (probably partly why the 810 build seems to be slipping behind the 805/807 build, although the fact that the 810 is a brand new style necessitates more testing).

I’ve felt for a long time that the MML is the poor relation of the WCML and ECML; hence other TOCs/areas seem to be prioritised when it comes to things like investment in infrastructure, stock and refurbishments.

what is it at EMR that means getting a refurbishment is so difficult?
Probably as I have explained above.

johnw

I thought a few pages back in this thread that the DFT had agreed a full refurbishment on condition that they are kept with the East Midlands franchise until 2037?

QSK19

I thought a few pages back in this thread that the DFT had agreed a full refurbishment on condition that they are kept with the East Midlands franchise until 2037?
Yes, it was mentioned in post 2951; however, in the absence of concrete evidence and/or inside intel, I would take any such claim with a pinch of salt.

Maybe @LowLevel would be so kind as to let us know (without breaking any internal confidentiality, of course) if there have been any developments on the 360 refurbishment?

spotify95

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky but 50% (4/8) services I’ve been on over the last couple of weeks has been short formed 4 vice 8. The 20:45 this evening - not even a peak service - is full and standing.

Has there been another reliability dip?
I was on the 20.45 last night from StP to Wellingborough (yes I had a day trip in London for the first time in years!) And it was a 4 car unit! Very full throughout but not standing room only.
Why are we getting 4 car services when GTRs are 12 car !

Nowhere near to the same extent, thankfully!

On a 360 yesterday, my phone worked well enough on most of the journey. Where there were coverage gaps, I blame the mobile operators.

The 22x's are hopeless and IMO need to be Newport'ed ASAP.

Established Member
I was on the 20.45 last night from StP to Wellingborough (yes I had a day trip in London for the first time in years!) And it was a 4 car unit! Very full throughout but not standing room only.
Why are we getting 4 car services when GTRs are 12 car !

On a 360 yesterday, my phone worked well enough on most of the journey. Where there were coverage gaps, I blame the mobile operators.

The 22x's are hopeless and IMO need to be Newport'ed ASAP.
I don't think the 222's will be heading to Newport any time soon.

Back to 360's and RTT showing as all running as 8 car today.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I have seen a video that suggests announcements on the 360s at London say, “Welcome aboard this Luton Airport Express service to Luton Airport Parkway. Calling at Luton Airport Parkway, Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby.”

How misleading.

spotify95

I have seen a video that suggests announcements on the 360s at London say, “Welcome aboard this Luton Airport Express service to Luton Airport Parkway. Calling at Luton Airport Parkway, Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby.”

How misleading.
Yeah, when I was on the 360 coming out of London, it said it was to Corby, calling at all stations, but then it also said it was a Luton Airport Express service as well. Can't remember all of it though.

AM9

Veteran Member

How misleading.
It's not "misleading" to me, that is exactly what the train does. Anyone looking for an service to Luton Airport would recognise the first listed stop, i.e. 'Lution Airport Parkway' as their destination. What happens after their stop is irrelevant. Anybody wanting stations beyond can see if their destination is called at as well.

Yeah, when I was on the 360 coming out of London, it said it was to Corby, calling at all stations, but then it also said it was a Luton Airport Express service as well. Can't remember all of it though.
It does call at all stations served by Platforms 1-4 between St Pancras International and Corby. What is the problem there.

baz962

Established Member
It's not "misleading" to me, that is exactly what the train does. Anyone looking for an service to Luton Airport would recognise the first listed stop, i.e. 'Lution Airport Parkway' as their destination. What happens after their stop is irrelevant. Anybody wanting stations beyond can see if their destination is called at as well.
Not quite true for passengers from Corby though :D

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

It does call at all stations served by Platforms 1-4 between St Pancras International and Corby. What is the problem there.
I would think it’s a very well known practice that an announcement stating “Welcome on board this service to XXX **full stop**” would imply that the train terminates at XXX. If it said “XXX and continuing towards YYY,” that’d be different.

AM9

Veteran Member
I would think it’s a very well known practice that an announcement stating “Welcome on board this service to XXX **full stop**” would imply that the train terminates at XXX. If it said “XXX and continuing towards YYY,” that’d be different.
Fair enough if that's the way that you see it. I don't have any problem with a train billed as an 'a to b express' continuing beyond b to serve other locations, - much like Gatwick Express. Why do you think that it is misleading?

Mikw

Well, from St Pancras it definitely IS the "Luton Airport Express", it's the quickest train there.
The announcements (and display screens) both mention the other stops too, so i don't think it's much of an issue

zwk500

Veteran Member
Fair enough if that's the way that you see it. I don't have any problem with a train billed as an 'a to b express' continuing beyond b to serve other locations, - much like Gatwick Express. Why do you think that it is misleading?
I think the potential confusion is that AFAIK all other train announcements say 'this is a <TOC> service to <terminus> calling at <a, b, c, etc>. Announcing the train to Luton Airport Pkwy as the terminus when the trai ndoes in fact run to Corby may cause confusion. I haven't been on GatEx that terminate Brighton, does anybody know if they announce Gatwick or Brighton as the terminus?
However given the majority of passengers seeking stations north of Luton will be regular customers and the majority of passengers seeking Luton Airport will likely be less familiar, I can see the argument that emphasising the stop at Parkway is more valuable than potential confusion to Corby passengers.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think the potential confusion is that AFAIK all other train announcements say 'this is a <TOC> service to <terminus> calling at <a, b, c, etc>. Announcing the train to Luton Airport Pkwy as the terminus when the trai ndoes in fact run to Corby may cause confusion. I haven't been on GatEx that terminate Brighton, does anybody know if they announce Gatwick or Brighton as the terminus?
But do EMR actually announce the 360 services as 'terminating' at Luton Airport Parkway?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
But do EMR actually announce the 360 services as 'terminating' at Luton Airport Parkway?
See post 3019, which seems to indicate they do:

How misleading.
The fact that it'll say Luton Airport 3 times back to back feels like to much, they've already named the service after the Airport, why misname the destination when it just said Luton Airport 3 seconds ago and is about to say it again in 3 seconds.

manu08manu

If I remember correctly the full announcement is:

Welcome aboard this East Midlands Railway Service to Corby. This is a Luton Airport Express Service to Luton Airport Parkway, calling at Luton Airport Parkway, Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby.

Welcome aboard this East Midlands Railway Service to London St Pancras. This is a Luton Airport Express Service to London St Pancras, calling at London St Pancras only.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Welcome aboard this East Midlands Railway Service to Corby. This is a Luton Airport Express Service to Luton Airport Parkway, calling at Luton Airport Parkway, Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby.
I feel like that announcement would work just as:
Better Announcement said:
Welcome aboard this East Midlands Railway Service to Corby. This is a Luton Airport Express Service calling at Luton Airport Parkway, Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby.
I think it's better since it doesn't say Luton Airport 3 times in a row.