• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England and Wales interurban bus map

Parebunks

Between Buckden and Grassington you probably want a dotted line. The 72A which continues to Skipton runs once a day. The 72B which continues to Ilkley runs 3 times a day, 3 days a week.

If it fits, you probably want a thicker line on the 3 an hour 100/101 Luton - Hitchin - Stevenage.

The 635 Hitchin to Watford doesn't serve St Albans.
All fixed on my version!
Please don't take this as me being negative. This is just constructive feedback. Here's a few faults that I found. Hopefully they can be rectified.

Also, you have a number of routes listed as running at least 5 times per day but they are less often than that.
D&G 89 (Northwich) is only 4 times per day
Phil Anslow 63 (Chepstow) runs 4 times per day
Applegates 62 (Thornbury) only runs 4 times per day
First Worcestershire 417 runs only 4 times per day
Diamond 149 (Redditch) only runs 4 times per day. Only runs 5 times per day on School Days with the 149S
Stagecoach 35 (Coleford) only goes between Coleford and Ross on Wye upto 4 times per day (4 northbound trips, 3 southbound)
Stagecoach 34 (Monmouth) only runs 4 times per day.
Taf Valley 322 (Carmarthen) only runs 3 times per day
Richard Bros 430 (Cardigan) only actually gets to Narbeth 3 times per day.
Adventure Travel 64 (Ammanford) while it may run 6 times per day, it only does the interurban bit twice per day
Pats Coaches 146 (Wrexham) only runs 3-4 times per day.
Transdev 840 (Whitby) only goes between Thornton-le-dale (Pickering in the maps case) to Whitby 4 times per day
Coatham Coaches 18 (Guisborough) only runs 3 times per day and no longer extends to Saltburn
Dales & District 159 (Ripon) only runs 4 times per day between Ripon and Leyburn
Hodgsons 55 (Northallerton) only runs 3 times per day

Other ones that I notice are
Gwynfor S1 (Caernarfon) should be a bigger line as it runs hourly.
Lloyds T2 (Caernarfon) should extend to Bangor.
Arriva 5A (Ellesmere Port) is actually number 5. Arriva just like to wrongly report the route number on open data.
Pulhams 801 (Cheltenham) runs every 90 minutes, the line suggests hourly.
A missing route I think is the Stagecoach 563 Penrith to Appleby. Would fill a big gap in the map. Service runs 3 times per day each way
Around Ormskirk, I think that a few changes could be made to improve readability. That would be swapping the 310 and 375/385 line and have the 152 underneath the 375/385 line between Ormskirk and Southport.
Thanks - the line between unbroken and dotted was meant to be 3/day not 5/day, I'll fix the key. Will fix other stuff later, though isn't the 563 only Sats? The area north of Manchester/Liverpool is my next target for readability, planning to give it a more comprehensive overhaul at some point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
All fixed on my version!

Thanks - the line between unbroken and dotted was meant to be 3/day not 5/day, I'll fix the key. Will fix other stuff later, though isn't the 563 only Sats? The area north of Manchester/Liverpool is my next target for readability, planning to give it a more comprehensive overhaul at some point.
I can't speak for everyone but I do think that a broken line for 4 or less trips per day is better as that's still quite infrequent for people to plan their journeys around it.

Route 563 is Mon-Sat to Appleby but extends to Kirkby Stephen on Saturdays

ChrisC

Established Member
It may also be useful to include Trent Barton Threes between Nottingham and Mansfield on the map. Although a longer journey time than Stagecoach Pronto it does run later in the evenings, with the last bus from Nottingham to Mansfield at midnight.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It may not run any more but I did once get a bus from Selby to Doncaster, which could be included; I actually did York to Doncaster by bus a few years ago as I had plenty of spare time, only had to make a one-way journey and LNER charge a huge premium for this journey. There is almost zero chance I'd do it again though!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It may not run any more but I did once get a bus from Selby to Doncaster, which could be included; I actually did York to Doncaster by bus a few years ago as I had plenty of spare time, only had to make a one-way journey and LNER charge a huge premium for this journey. There is almost zero chance I'd do it again though!
It was withdrawn last year in September. It was the 405.

Parebunks

I can't speak for everyone but I do think that a broken line for 4 or less trips per day is better as that's still quite infrequent for people to plan their journeys around it.

Route 563 is Mon-Sat to Appleby but extends to Kirkby Stephen on Saturdays
Will add 563. Probably agree with you r.e. 5 vs 3 on second thought, but too much faff to change it now!
It may also be useful to include Trent Barton Threes between Nottingham and Mansfield on the map. Although a longer journey time than Stagecoach Pronto it does run later in the evenings, with the last bus from Nottingham to Mansfield at midnight.
Added!

mailbyrail

Just discovered this map - an excellent tool.
The X17 route from Barnsley-Sheffield-Chesterfield-Matlock has been doubled between Chesterfield and Matlock to two an hour, with alternate buses travelling through to Wirksworth. Wirksworth is also served by the 6.1 between Matlock and Belper and the 110/111 between Matlock and Ashbourne

As others have said, withdrawn last year between Askern (border of N/S Yorks) and Selby (runs between Askern and Donny only as the 51) because North and South Yorks county councils couldn’t agreed on cross-border subsidy. That being said I’ve found LNER advances for <£5 for York<>Donny

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I would say that any routes which have departures between 00:00 and 05:00 count.

Arriva used to brand their 2300 N9 departure from Leeds to Wakefield as a nightbus!

The only places I know of with a network outside of London are:

West Midlands
East Midlands (mostly Nottingham with a few Derby and East Midlands Airport)
A shrinking handful in Manchester
A couple of routes in Leeds.

and then a handful of places with a late student service.

miklcct

On Moderation
Arriva used to brand their 2300 N9 departure from Leeds to Wakefield as a nightbus!

West Midlands

Aren't there a couple in West Sussex as well? e.g. N700 from Brighton and 100 from Gatwick Airport? Are there others to provide a comprehensive coverage there?

Parebunks

West Midlands

Oxford, Brighton and Reading all have them in the South-East, though often a bit of a skeleton except Fri and Sat. Example of the kind of ambiguity I'm talking about would be the former NS3 from Oxford - used to be at 00:30 on Fridays and Saturdays, so technically meeting the 00:00-05:00 criteria, but obviously not a comprehensive service. It's now been renumbered to just S3, which makes a lot more sense, but still means it would make the bill! Mapping out those under whatever criteria wouldn't be of much interest to me, to be honest - even less practical utility than the already functionally useless main map.

sk688

Incredible map , love the work

Two small changes I'd say , is the 20 should be included between Hemel Hempstead and Watford

While the 522 between Bath and Bristol is missing , albeit it has a relatively circuitous route

Parebunks

Currently trying to do a map of National Express routes to complement this, but it's proving tricky - the local one could be worked on piece by piece, but this has to fit together better as a whole to look remotely decent. Also hard to decide what should count as its own line, as some routes are practically identical, others are very infrequent, etc. As a starter, what I've got for night coaches is attached, along with a new update for the bus map. I've been away for a couple of weeks, so may well have missed changes on that! Light, dark.

Attachments

• natexnights.jpg
    natexnights.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Parebunks

Working on a New Year update for the main map at the moment! Think I've caught all of the changes since August for the big groups, but would appreciate some pointers where independents have made significant changes.

Parebunks

Now updated for 2024: light, dark. Probably missed some things, do point those out. To go with the night NX diagram I've also done one for the new megabus network - nice and simple, enough that it fits the file limit to attach to the post itself!

Attachments

• megabus.jpg
    megabus.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88

stuu

Established Member
Now updated for 2024: light, dark. Probably missed some things, do point those out. To go with the night NX diagram I've also done one for the new megabus network - nice and simple, enough that it fits the file limit to attach to the post itself!
What used to be branded the Falcon service from Plymouth to Bristol is now just Megabus

miklcct

On Moderation
Sorry where is the m3 for megabus?

Also are you going to produce an interurban night bus map (routes with overnight services at least on weekends) as well?

Parebunks

What used to be branded the Falcon service from Plymouth to Bristol is now just Megabus
Oop, didn't realise that - it doesn't show up on the timetables, but will add it.

Sorry where is the m3 for megabus?

Also are you going to produce an interurban night bus map (routes with overnight services at least on weekends) as well?
The m3 unfortunately no longer exists, megabus aren't running anything London-South Coast anymore. See my replay further up the thread r.e. night bus map.

Excellent work. Just one correction I've noticed. D & G 9 Hanley to Congleton is just to Biddulph now (also seved by 7A First Potteries). Congleton to Biddulph is D & G 94 - perhaps add Biddulph as another node?

Dunnyrail

Oh I can't get to the Map as the link sends me to Reddit, whatever that may be. I used to be able to download your superb map from a pdf here as you have done with the express night buses,which I have downloaded to my iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:

duncombec

The 36 between Herne Bay and Margate is now with Stagecoach rather than Regent, so just a change of line colour needed.

PTR 444

Established Member
Oop, didn't realise that - it doesn't show up on the timetables, but will add it.

The m3 unfortunately no longer exists, megabus aren't running anything London-South Coast anymore. See my replay further up the thread r.e. night bus map.
The m34 (Portsmouth - Southampton - Birmingham - Manchester - Newcastle) isn’t on the map either. Has that been withdrawn too?

Chrius56000

I would add Garstang on the "40/41" green line between Preston and Lancaster and re–draw the green "42" line as a branch from Garstang to Blackpool, showing "Garstang" as a black spot point, as not all 42's between Lancaster & Blackpool run through, adding "42" to the top part of the "40/41" green line from Lancaster to Garstang !

(You might have to rescale the "Lancaster/Blackpool/Preston" triangle a bit larger to fit "Garstang" in!)

. . .I used to live in Morecambe & Lancaster and used the 40, 41 and 42 very frequently, even as far back to the 1970s when they were Ribble 140, 141 and 142 !

. . .I'll have to start learning how to make my own "Great Britain Bus Atlas" using a G.I.S. application and O.S. Open Data mapping now!

Chris Williams

Last edited:

Parebunks

Excellent work. Just one correction I've noticed. D & G 9 Hanley to Congleton is just to Biddulph now (also seved by 7A First Potteries). Congleton to Biddulph is D & G 94 - perhaps add Biddulph as another node?
Thanks, ended up just removing the 9 as couldn't sensibly fit in Biddulph.
Oh I can't get to the Map as the link sends me to Reddit, whatever that may be. I used to be able to download your superb map from a pdf here as you have done with the express night buses,which I have downloaded to my iPad.
The image is hosted on Reddit, but if you follow the link it should just be on there as a JPG? I'll attach a PDF here once I've made all fixes, though.
The 36 between Herne Bay and Margate is now with Stagecoach rather than Regent, so just a change of line colour needed.
Thanks, fixed.
The m34 (Portsmouth - Southampton - Birmingham - Manchester - Newcastle) isn’t on the map either. Has that been withdrawn too?
Yes, almost all previously existing megabus routes are being withdrawn from Wednesday and replaced with the new network, in the case of the m34 principally m81 and m82.
I would add Garstang on the "40/41" green line between Preston and Lancaster and re–draw the green "42" line as a branch from Garstang to Blackpool, showing "Garstang" as a black spot point, as not all 42's between Lancaster & Blackpool run through, adding "42" to the top part of the "40/41" green line from Lancaster to Garstang !

(You might have to rescale the "Lancaster/Blackpool/Preston" triangle a bit larger to fit "Garstang" in!)

. . .I used to live in Morecambe & Lancaster and used the 40, 41 and 42 very frequently, even as far back to the 1970s when they were Ribble 140, 141 and 142 !

. . .I'll have to start learning how to make my own "Great Britain Bus Atlas" using a G.I.S. application and O.S. Open Data mapping now!

Chris Williams
Added Garstang as it's been suggested a few times, will be on the next version!

1704717348513.png

Peter Philips

The yellow coaches used feature both megabus and Southwest Falcon branding (looking messy and nowhere near as good as the original dedicated Falcon livery in my opinion) and I note a recent marketing email I received refers to the route as 'megabus Southwest Falcon' so the Falcon brand is at least still partly alive.

Great map by the way Parebunks, very useful!