• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

tomuk

Established Member
It hasn’t, at least not any more. The FC is between the DVT and standard.

That was only the case when there was no standard wheelchair accommodation. There is now (and had been since late last year), so the FC is now at the DVT end and not sandwiched by standard.
So were debating the theoretical over enforcement of first class rules by TfW in a situation that doesn't even exist.o_O

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdamWW

Established Member
So were debating the theoretical over enforcement of first class rules by TfW in a situation that doesn't even exist.o_O

I think there may be some confusion between the 4 coach rakes (1st class now at the end) and 5 coach rakes (standard class coaches on either side of the 1st class coach)

I think there may be some confusion between the 4 coach rakes (1st class now at the end) and 5 coach rakes (standard class coaches on either side of the 1st class coach)
No confusion. First class has been next to the DVT for months.

EDIT: Just read your post again. The 5 car rakes should also be formed with FC next to the DVT when finally in service. At least, that WAS the plan.

MP393

EDIT: Just read your post again. The 5 car rakes should also be formed with FC next to the DVT when finally in service. At least, that WAS the plan.

Nope, extra standard coach is going next to the DVT to allow wheelchair users in first class to be able to alight at short platforms. So there will be a solo standard coach inbetween the DVT & First class. HD03 is already formed like this and has been seen on it’s testing & gauging runs

sd0733

Established Member

The 5 car set is already formed up with a standard coach between 1st and the DVT.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The 5 car rakes should also be formed with FC next to the DVT when finally in service. At least, that WAS the plan.
I too understood that to be the plan at one point; however it has now been confirmed that the 5-car rakes will require a standard class coach to be marooned between the DVT and the first class coach.

Caaardiff

Considering First has very little branding on the outside and inside of the coach, this will just cause confusion. I've seen the guard and First staff constantly standing by the door directing people or telling people they don't have the right ticket to be in there & punters not even realising. There's the obvious 1+2 seating, which may not actually be obvious to many travellers.
The only branding is on the sliding door from the vestibule, which is completely pointless considering the door automatically opens before anyone gets to see the sticker! Surely a bit of external branding won't be too much cost!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Considering First has very little branding on the outside and inside of the coach, this will just cause confusion. I've seen the guard and First staff constantly standing by the door directing people or telling people they don't have the right ticket to be in there & punters not even realising. There's the obvious 1+2 seating, which may not actually be obvious to many travellers.
The only branding is on the sliding door from the vestibule, which is completely pointless considering the door automatically opens before anyone gets to see the sticker! Surely a bit of external branding won't be too much cost!
A a4 poster and board? Those would cost only a few ££s

sd0733

Established Member
It is an area of contention with crews as causes constant issues, there are now stickers on the standard class windows of some sets to upgrade to 1st but nothing in 1st that it is. Causes needless issues. There's one set with exterior branding but like inside it's been put in such a place that when the doors are open it's hidden.

There are plans and designs in place for branding it, I saw the designs over a year ago, but for whatever reason it's gone extremely quiet.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I too understood that to be the plan at one point; however it has now been confirmed that the 5-car rakes will require a standard class coach to be marooned between the DVT and the first class coach.
Why?
To ensure wheelchair access at short platforms. Here's the quote for more information:

Modern Railways May 2023 issue page 16 said:
TfW Rail has also had to change its plans for the first class vehicle to be at one end of the extended rakes. The fifth vehicle, a TO (tourist open), will be between the First Class vehicle (POD - premium open disabled) and DVT. 'Unfortunately, the First Class will still be in the "middle" of the train. This is not the desired formation but is necessary to ensure that the wheelchair access doors on the POD and TOD (tourist open disabled) are at the centre of the train (either side of the SV - service vehicle, with kitchen) to maximise wheelchair access on some of the short platforms. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to change until the platforms are lengthened or the operation of the rakes is fundamentally changed'.
I do note that there is at least one error in that report - POD should preumably be Pullman Open Disabled not Premium Open Disabled.

sd0733

Established Member
Paths are now in for testing of HD07 and proving runs of HD03 next week:

HD03+67014:
Monday- Canton to Crewe:

Tuesday-Thursday Crewe to Holyhead and back (slight variations each day to go in different platforms)

Crewe-Holyhead 3Z67

Holyhead-Canton 3Z68

HD07+67008 Wednesday- Friday,
Canton-Hereford 3Z82 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:V46776/2023-07-05/detailed

Hereford-Canton 3Z84

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Paths are now in for testing of HD07 and proving runs of HD03 next week:

HD03+67014:
Monday- Canton to Crewe:

Tuesday-Thursday Crewe to Holyhead and back (slight variations each day to go in different platforms)

Crewe-Holyhead 3Z67

Holyhead-Canton 3Z68

HD07+67008 Wednesday- Friday,
Canton-Hereford 3Z82 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:V46776/2023-07-05/detailed

Hereford-Canton 3Z84
Are they both 5 car/coach sets now?

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
No, HD03 is the 5 car, HD07 hasn't been used so after so long out of use it needs some shakedown runs before being put out in passenger service
Ah right ok. Thank you for the information. Will anymore sets be 5 car/coach at some point?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m on an original VTEC state (aka not Grand Central-ised) set of MK4s, and something I was pleased to see was this hark back to Virgin Trains East Coast on the door:

“Standard” in big Virginy Neo Sans italics. On all other internal doors and in all other MK4 sets with TfW, including that at the other end of this carriage, this has been replaced by a billingual one in TfW font, which if you look carefully you can see on the door of the next carriage.

IMG_0652.jpeg

Image shows as described

GWVillager

I’m on an original VTEC state (aka not Grand Central-ised) set of MK4s, and something I was pleased to see was this hark back to Virgin Trains East Coast on the door:

“Standard” in big Virginy Neo Sans italics. On all other internal doors and in all other MK4 sets with TfW, including that at the other end of this carriage, this has been replaced by a billingual one in TfW font, which if you look carefully you can see on the door of the next carriage.

View attachment 138663

Image shows as described
I wonder why this hasn't been replaced. It's a nice memory in the meantime!

D6130

Established Member
Not sure whether this should be in this thread or 'Trip Reports'....but I had a very enjoyable day out on the Marches Line on Monday and things seemed to be running fairly well. I took 1D75, 11 31 from Hebden Bridge into Manchester Victoria, arriving about five minutes late owing to a track circuit failure on Miles Platting bank. As there was no suitable tram on the horizon, I made a swift march to Piccadilly in the pouring rain to find that 1V42, 12 30 to Cardiff was expected to depart five minutes late. The incoming working - 82226/67 015 - eventually arrived at 12 35 and we departed eleven late with the loco leading. As we left Manchester behind, the weather cleared-up quickly and by Shrewsbury it was bright sunshine. I alighted at Ludlow, and as the train pulled out a Northbound service arrived with 67 025 propelling an ex-GC set and providing an excellent video opportunity. After a couple of hours looking around the lovely town centre I returned to the station and joined 67 008 - until then required for haulage - propelling 82229 on 1V46, 14 30 from Manchester. Alighting at Hereford, I had a brisk walk to - and a swift pint in - Barrels Alehouse - before an even brisker walk, in a heavy shower back to the station to pick up 67 017, propelling ex-GC 82227 on 1W23, 16 49 from Cardiff. Up to and including this service, there had been no catering provision on any of my trains....so I alighted at Shrewsbury to await 1W96, 17 14 Cardiff-Holyhead, which rolled in on time with 67 015 and 82226. This time there was a full buffet and first class dining service - obviously a priority on the 'Gerald' service - and I managed to assuage my hunger before arriving at Chester. I had a conversation with the very pleasant Holyhead-based chef about the lack of catering on the Manchester services and she said that there was to be a meeting next week about a new recruitment drive to counter TfW's chronic shortage of chefs and stewards. The last leg of my journey was with 195 024/015 on 1E78, 20 29 Chester-Leeds back to Hebden Bridge, arriving at 21 49.

CW2

Established Member
I alighted at Ludlow, and as the train pulled out a Northbound service arrived with 67 025 propelling an ex-GC set and providing an excellent video opportunity. After a couple of hours looking around the lovely town centre I returned to the station and joined 67 008 - until then required for haulage - propelling 82229 on 1V46, 14 30 from Manchester.
If you happen to visit Ludlow again in future, the Ludlow Brewery is worth a visit. It is situated in what was formerly the goods shed in the station yard, and offers a fine range of beers brewed on the premises.
Well worth a visit.

sd0733

Established Member
A very poor day today, lots of depot, crew, exam and loco issues mean only 1 set is out.

HD03 finally made it to Crewe yesterday a week late so should recommence the 5 car runs to Holyhead a week later than planned on Monday

HD07 on its final day of shakedown runs today then is booked an exam and some final bits and pieces over the weekend and should enter service on 1W11 on Wednesday, it goes straight into service on the new 28 day exam cycle alongside HD01 and HD05 rather than the 11 day cycle of HD02,04 and 06 so availability should increase especially once those 3 sets are done too. The diagrams won't be increased just yet so will be 4 diagrams for 6 sets rather than 4 from 5.

67013 heading back from Crewe ETD today after exam and some reliability mods so hopefully this irons out some issues, that'll go onto HD03 for testing.

Last edited:

aar0

Having lived in Wales since 2016 I was delighted to have a work trip on 1W13, the 0536 Swansea to Manchester. Unfortunately the 67 and MkIVs look suspiciously like a 158. Delighted to both not have breakfast and not be able to claim it back off work! Hopefully the return tomorrow is slightly more 67 shaped.

sd0733

Established Member
Having lived in Wales since 2016 I was delighted to have a work trip on 1W13, the 0536 Swansea to Manchester. Unfortunately the 67 and MkIVs look suspiciously like a 158. Delighted to both not have breakfast and not be able to claim it back off work! Hopefully the return tomorrow is slightly more 67 shaped.
1W13 is on a 158 diagram this week, it's rarely booked as only 1 of 1W11 and 1W13 is ever booked a Mk4, normally 1W11.
They won't both be booked until the 6th and 7th sets are available so that the extra diagram can be introduced.

aar0

1W13 is on a 158 diagram this week, it's rarely booked as only 1 of 1W11 and 1W13 is ever booked a Mk4, normally 1W11.
They won't both be booked until the 6th and 7th sets are available so that the extra diagram can be introduced.
Ah, bugger. I wouldn’t have got up so early had I known! Are there any Mk4s from Swansea currently then?

My return is (currently) 1V50, what are my odds there?
Thanks!

sd0733

Established Member
Ah, bugger. I wouldn’t have got up so early had I known! Are there any Mk4s from Swansea currently then?

My return is (currently) 1V50, what are my odds there?
Thanks!
Generally, the only Booked ones from Swansea are weekends.

1V50 is part of a current diagram and is booked HD05 so barring any issues between now and then should be one!

CW2

Established Member
I did a return trip Crewe - Swansea with 67025 yesterday (Sunday). The outward journey had no refreshments at all. The return had a trolley on from Newport. The preceding train up the Marches had been cancelled so we made additional stops and were well overcrowded. 22' late into Crewe. Notably the 67 and stock worked back in passenger service out of Manchester as far as Crewe, rather than returning ECS as booked. (Possibly a consequence of the previous cancellation). Nice to have had a 67 to Swansea - a first for me.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
1V91 (Gerald, 0533 ex Holyhead) started from Chester today as a 5-car 175.
Should I bother trying to get to Cardiff on it this week?

sd0733

Established Member
1V91 (Gerald, 0533 ex Holyhead) started from Chester today as a 5-car 175.
Should I bother trying to get to Cardiff on it this week?
It's booked for the rest of the week, the set is in Holyhead but the locos exam wasn't completed in time.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
It's booked for the rest of the week, the set is in Holyhead but the locos exam wasn't completed in time.
How did the set get to Holyhead without a 'valid' (for want of a better word) loco - or can exams be carried out at Holyhead but the exam was still in progress?