• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I might chance it tomorrow, going to see how things go. Even if I just do it to Chester that might be just enough, if I do it I'm sure I'll let you all know!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JakeMurphy

Next week due to improving availability and also completion of some mods there will be 2 diagrams on Saturday, 2 on Sunday then 4 on Monday with a spare set available at Crewe and HD07 with a loco on almost ready for being released.

All depends whether HD08 ever happens. If it does then its likely to return and have 6 diagrams from 8 sets, with a set on Maintenance and a 'hot spare' at Crewe, if it doesn't then its likely to be permanent and remain 5 diagrams from 7.
What is going to be the 4th diagram?

Michael.Y

Established Member
Is 1W19 (1249 CDF-Manchester) due to be one of the services where the Mk4s will be used?

sd0733

Established Member
Is 1W19 (1249 CDF-Manchester) due to be one of the services where the Mk4s will be used?
It eventually will, whether it starts on Monday or not I'm not sure. It's on one of the Canton starts of which 1 will be Mk4 and the other a unit so 50:50!

Michael.Y

Established Member
OK cool. We're travelling in 4 weeks to Manchester Airport via Crewe with a couple of cases and I think the more room the better; although oddly I think the best option for us otherwise would be a 150!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I just missed the 0756 this morning, was so close to making it but the higher power clearly didn't want me making it. So I took 175113 to Shrewsbury and now on 150256+158828 via Wrexham. Hoping like crazy that the 1633 produces a 67 now!

I was even more disappointed when I saw it was an ex-GC set on the 0756, it appeared to be a silver 67 and I always the 084x from Hereford is booked 67. That was 67017 on an ex-LNER set, so I'm not as fussed there :lol:

Any gen on which 67 I missed?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I just missed the 0756 this morning, was so close to making it but the higher power clearly didn't want me making it. So I took 175113 to Shrewsbury and now on 150256+158828 via Wrexham. Hoping like crazy that the 1633 produces a 67 now!

I was even more disappointed when I saw it was an ex-GC set on the 0756, it appeared to be a silver 67 and I always the 084x from Hereford is booked 67. That was 67017 on an ex-LNER set, so I'm not as fussed there :lol:

I believe unfortunately it would have been 67025 with set HD04.

sd0733

Established Member

The 1633 off Holyhead will be the very same 67017+ex LNER set as you weren't fussed about earlier!

OrangeJuice

Next week due to improving availability and also completion of some mods there will be 2 diagrams on Saturday, 2 on Sunday then 4 on Monday with a spare set available at Crewe and HD07 with a loco on almost ready for being released.
Will the Sunday diagrams start this Sunday? And any ideas on which services they will run/start from?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Will the Sunday diagrams start this Sunday? And any ideas on which services they will run/start from?
These are the two Sunday diagrams booked for Mk4! HTH

Attachments show Mk4 diagrams for Sundays

Attachments

• 1684335024999.png
    1684335024999.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 1684335037749.png
    1684335037749.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 83

sd0733

Established Member
Yes.

The 2 Sunday diagrams are:

1: ECS Canton to Swansea
10:32 Swansea-Manchester Picc
15:30 Manchester Picc-Swansea
Ecs to Canton
Should be 67010+HD04 this week

2. 08:32 Crewe-Manchester Picc
09:30 Manchester Pic to Swansea
14:55 Swansea to Manchester Picc
Ecs to Crewe
67029+HD02 pencilled in for that.

OrangeJuice

Yes.

The 2 Sunday diagrams are:

1: ECS Canton to Swansea
10:32 Swansea-Manchester Picc
15:30 Manchester Picc-Swansea
Ecs to Canton
Should be 67010+HD04 this week

2. 08:32 Crewe-Manchester Picc
09:30 Manchester Pic to Swansea
14:55 Swansea to Manchester Picc
Ecs to Crewe
67029+HD02 pencilled in for that.
Thanks.
Minor irritation from me that the 1530 from Manchester arrives Newport 1836 in the public timetable but 1834 1/2 in the working timetable. If the public arrival time was 1835 it would be a valid connection into the 1840 Portsmouth harbour train. It does annoy me somewhat that TfW and ATW as predecessors that they often add over a minute from WTT to published times.
At least I know if the 1430 from Manchester is cancelled a better train should await

On Moderation
While it may shock you, some people do have other things to do in their daily lives beside posting here! ;)
Given the time where you are when you posted that, I’m not sure you’re in a position of strength with that comment!

Denis103

Apologies for asking this but having trawled through this thread there is a lot of detail for 67's to manchester after the timetable change this weekend. What will remain for 67 diagrams from cardiff to holyhead please. Thank you

sd0733

Established Member
Apologies for asking this but having trawled through this thread there is a lot of detail for 67's to manchester after the timetable change this weekend. What will remain for 67 diagrams from cardiff to holyhead please. Thank you
Weekdays only:
5:33 Holyhead to Cardiff
17:14 Cardiff to Holyhead

That's it at the moment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I believe unfortunately it would have been 67025 with set HD04.

I saw it again earlier, I nearly waited for it just to find out what was on it :lol:

The 1633 off Holyhead will be the very same 67017+ex LNER set as you weren't fussed about earlier!

Indeed it is, I'm not as keen on the ex-LNER sets as I am the ex-GC sets, although the difference is most noticeable if I'm looking to travel in First on them. I much prefer the GC interior!

Worth detailing that I basically didn't mind not changing plans, buying new tickets etc this morning when I saw it was an ex-LNER set heading south. If it too had been ex-GC, I'd have been frustrated. I know that won't make much sense!

Probably the reason he hasn't replied lol

Oh absolutely not, I've been a very busy soul today! Absolutely living my best life in the sunshine! I also hope your last comment was not suggesting any sort of fare dodging!

Or he's just enjoying himself so much for the present that he doesn't know what's about to hit him :lol:!

While it may shock you, some people do have other things to do in their daily lives beside posting here! ;)

Luke, yes absolutely, I was way too busy to go on the forum since this morning!

TT, correct! I do spend a lot of time on here, way too much for my own good most days, but today was absolutely a day to hugely drop my screen time and live the best life currently possible.

I post live from seat 77 in coach number 12225 on the 1634 from Holyhead to Cardiff Central. As I typed this, I was departing Craven Arms, observing a Northern 150 heading north, and it's been an interesting journey. My trip report will go into more detail, and that should go live tonight. I've now cleared Holyhead-Shrewbury for 67 haulage, an item that's been on my to-do list for a long time, and while I'd have loved to also clear Chester to Wrexham for First Class (also on my to-do list) that will have to wait.

As much as I can be like a spoilt child with my preferences for the ex-GC sets, this has been decent. Great bit of noise off 67017, a bit bouncy in places what with being over the bogie, but the train's been great. The Earl Grey, at £2.40, was not worth the money though!

Back to reality tomorrow, and indeed later when I get back to base, but as the trip report will show I've been enjoying myself quite a bit and I feel more like a good version of myself. Work will soon strip that out tomorrow, but that's 100% getting fixed in due course :)

anthony263

Established Member
I saw it again earlier, I nearly waited for it just to find out what was on it :lol:

Indeed it is, I'm not as keen on the ex-LNER sets as I am the ex-GC sets, although the difference is most noticeable if I'm looking to travel in First on them. I much prefer the GC interior!

Worth detailing that I basically didn't mind not changing plans, buying new tickets etc this morning when I saw it was an ex-LNER set heading south. If it too had been ex-GC, I'd have been frustrated. I know that won't make much sense!

Oh absolutely not, I've been a very busy soul today! Absolutely living my best life in the sunshine! I also hope your last comment was not suggesting any sort of fare dodging!

Luke, yes absolutely, I was way too busy to go on the forum since this morning!

TT, correct! I do spend a lot of time on here, way too much for my own good most days, but today was absolutely a day to hugely drop my screen time and live the best life currently possible.

I post live from seat 77 in coach number 12225 on the 1634 from Holyhead to Cardiff Central. As I typed this, I was departing Craven Arms, observing a Northern 150 heading north, and it's been an interesting journey. My trip report will go into more detail, and that should go live tonight. I've now cleared Holyhead-Shrewbury for 67 haulage, an item that's been on my to-do list for a long time, and while I'd have loved to also clear Chester to Wrexham for First Class (also on my to-do list) that will have to wait.

As much as I can be like a spoilt child with my preferences for the ex-GC sets, this has been decent. Great bit of noise off 67017, a bit bouncy in places what with being over the bogie, but the train's been great. The Earl Grey, at £2.40, was not worth the money though!

Back to reality tomorrow, and indeed later when I get back to base, but as the trip report will show I've been enjoying myself quite a bit and I feel more like a good version of myself. Work will soon strip that out tomorrow, but that's 100% getting fixed in due course :)
That last comment was a tongue in cheek comment t I saw your post about a trip on the class 230.

Nothing to do with fare dodging I use the same thrase when I tell someone I'm going out on.the Cardiff valley lines with a valley lines day explorer. Sorry if my comment offended you

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That last comment was a tongue in cheek comment t I saw your post about a trip on the class 230.

Nothing to do with fare dodging I use the same thrase when I tell someone I'm going out on.the Cardiff valley lines with a valley lines day explorer. Sorry if my comment offended you

No not at all, I read it as both ways and I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly :)

'Joyride' isn't as common an expression as it used to be, or at least it isn't in my experience. It's also worth noting I was rushing my posting to make sure I caught up with the 22 or 24 notifications I had before getting to Hereford.

anthony263

Established Member
No not at all, I read it as both ways and I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly :)

'Joyride' isn't as common an expression as it used to be, or at least it isn't in my experience. It's also worth noting I was rushing my posting to make sure I caught up with the 22 or 24 notifications I had before getting to Hereford.
Its okay. I always say I'm off joyriding on a bus even if I'm driving it lol

Phil from Mon

I know RTT pathing is only an indication and after the timetable change coast passengers will only have the morning and evening loco-hauled we did a few years ago, but what on earth is this, for 1V96 next Friday, all about?
  • Pathed as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 245 tonnes
    Planned for 110mph max
  • Seating: standard only between Holyhead and Chester, first & standard from Chester
  • Reservations recommended
  • Trolley service from Holyhead to Chester
  • Restaurant for First Class passengers from Chester
  • Hot food service from Shrewsbury

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I know RTT pathing is only an indication and after the timetable change coast passengers will only have the morning and evening loco-hauled we did a few years ago, but what on earth is this, for 1V96 next Friday, all about?
  • Pathed as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 245 tonnes
    Planned for 110mph max
  • Seating: standard only between Holyhead and Chester, first & standard from Chester
  • Reservations recommended
  • Trolley service from Holyhead to Chester
  • Restaurant for First Class passengers from Chester
  • Hot food service from Shrewsbury
No idea! But it definitely will be a unit on Friday 26th!

OrangeJuice

Does anyone know if there's any chance of a MkIV set being fixed today on Canton ready for 1W96 1714 Cardiff to Holyhead?
150280 started that diagram this morning on the 0648 Cardiff Holyhead.