• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fatality at Chalfont & Latimer - A warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengley

Established Member
At approximately 0130 this morning the last Chesham train was travelling between Chorleywood and Chalfont & Latimer when a passenger who was smoking between the carriages on the train slipped and fell onto the tracks while the train was moving at 50mph. He was subsequently dragged to Chalfont & Latimer and decapitated.

I was on this train and it was a very strange experience.

I know nobody on this forum is stupid enough to do such a thing, but this just shows how dangerous messing around between carriages really is. If you ever think it might be a bit of fun, or if you need a cigarette, please think again.

Had this guy waited 10 more minutes he'd still have been with us now and nobody would have had to suffer the awful consequences of his stupidity.

My condolences to the man's family and friends.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At approximately 0130 this morning the last Chesham train was travelling between Chorleywood and Chalfont & Latimer when a passenger who was smoking between the carriages on the train slipped and fell onto the tracks while the train was moving at 50mph. He was subsequently dragged to Chalfont & Latimer and decapitated.

I was on this train and it was a very strange experience.

I know nobody on this forum is stupid enough to do such a thing, but this just shows how dangerous messing around between carriages really is. If you ever think it might be a bit of fun, or if you need a cigarette, please think again.

Had this guy waited 10 more minutes he'd still have been with us now and nobody would have had to suffer the awful consequences of his stupidity.

My condolences to the man's family and friends.

god that must have been awful well at least one thing its an advert for smoking kills

SS4

Established Member
I call Darwin's Law. My condolences to the driver of the train and any passengers affected

bengley

Established Member
I call Darwin's Law. My condolences to the driver of the train and any passengers affected

I was speaking to the driver after it happened, the signaller called him over connect and asked him if he was OK and if he wanted a relief, but he said no, I'm fine, honestly. The driver was floating around the station and he was absolutely fine, he took it very well. Never had a one under in his 12 years either apparently!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Maybe the fact that he probably didn't have to watch the train kill the man helped in that respect...

Thoughts with those involved...

valenta

QUOTE FROM DAILY MAIL: A rail worker who was on the Tube train at the time of the death, said on an online forum: 'A passenger who was smoking between the carriages on the train slipped and fell onto the tracks while the train was moving at 50mph.
'He was subsequently dragged to Chalfont and Latimer and decapitated.
'This just shows how dangerous messing around between the carriages really is.
'If you ever think it might be a bit of fun, or if you need a cigarette, please think again.
'Had this guy waited 10 more minutes he'd still have been with us now and nobody would have had to suffer the awful consequences of his stupidity.

Is that a first on the forum?

TomBoyRacer

I saw a few years ago a journalist direct lift a quote from one of the other boards regarding a rail fatality, also quoted as a rail worker. I wonder if this was the same guy. Shoddy piece of journalism. This is the very reason why I never speculate on what went on and ask others not to do so. The recent fire on an London Midland EMU being a prime example.

Real shame what went on there. Sorry you had to witness it.

And Mr journalist if you're reading this shame on you.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Do you think that the newspaper and the public will really care whether the picture is of C stock or A stock?

It'd have been nice if it hadn't clearly read "Hammersmith" on the front. A side on tube train and I doubt anyone would. But even to the general (London) public it must be obvious that's going nowhere near the story.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It'd have been nice if it hadn't clearly read "Hammersmith" on the front. A side on tube train and I doubt anyone would. But even to the general (London) public it must be obvious that's going nowhere near the story.

Not wishing to drag this thread away from the awful events at Chalfont & Latimer, but this answer to that would be no. Stopped at Earls Court on the recent 1938 stock trip, several people approached the guard and asked whether it was a District line service. To most people a train is just a train.

My condolences to those involved in the fatality.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Apparently, according to Gizmodo you're a tube worker who gave extra details to The Sun!

Journalism is really going downhill in this country. Surely this is all worth a complaint to the PCC?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apparently, according to Gizmodo you're a tube worker who gave extra details to The Sun!

Journalism is really going downhill in this country. Surely this is all worth a complaint to the PCC?

I was thinking it might be worth a complaint. At least the DM quoted bengley as a rail worker on an online forum, the rest make it sounds as if bengley was giving an official interview or statement!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I was thinking it might be worth a complaint. At least the DM quoted bengley as a rail worker on an online forum, the rest make it sounds as if bengley was giving an official interview or statement!

Gizmodo say confirmed to the Sun, and another one says confirmed to the DM. Shocking research!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Using my limited knowledge of newspapers, I think it could be the case that it's one or two journalists who passed the story on to many different newspapers, where the subs shifted the words around a bit.

Or am I just being suspicious at the way the articles all look very similar... :D

I wonder if it was one of our journalist friends on the forum? Fair play to them if it is, it's certainly a newspaper worthy (well, tabloid worthy...) story.

You could probably complain to the Sun about the use of your quote though. Might even get some kind of compensation (yeah right. :)). Particularly given how everyone has just quoted the Sun...

Hydro

Established Member
I read about this today, and thought that bengley's post sounded familiar.

Quote this, lazy journos: "The Daily Mail and The Sun are not even fit for toilet paper as the ink rubs off on your arse."

Last edited:

The Snap

Established Member
bengley, are you a “tube worker”? Or even a railway worker? Or even someone who has anything to with the railway at all other than as a passenger? Or is this just pure journalistic fabrication on the tabloids' part? :lol:

Absolutely no sympathy for people who are either stupid or commit suicide. Only to drivers and punters who are caught up in it.

The guy was having a fag in between the carriages. Yes, it's an unbelievably stupid thing to do, but it doesn't mean he deserves to loose his life!

Ferret

Established Member
The guy was having a fag in between the carriages. Yes, it's an unbelievably stupid thing to do, but it doesn't mean he deserves to loose his life!

What? He engaged in a completely stupid act with no consideration for his own safety and paid the ultimate penalty. He deserved all he got for his stupidity! Natural selection I believe they call it...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Gizmodo say confirmed to the Sun, and another one says confirmed to the DM. Shocking research!

At least one of the writers above I actually know. She's an ex-PR that crossed over into journalism.

Sadly certain websites do little more but 'churnalism'. They look around the net and find stories to re-write. As long as enough sites have the same details, it's probably accurate. Oh, and re-write press releases and replicate 'facts' and claims in the release that aren't questioned - as if no PR firm would ever exaggerate or even dare make things up to promote a client!

The problem is that this very example proves why that's rubbish. One comment, repeated over and over, with a bit of made up stuff thrown in to make one story seem more exclusive or accurate, and you find the net full of misinformation.

But, do a Google search and you'll find ALL of these stories so Joe Public would have little choice but to take it as gospel. I mean, someone made an official statement to the media didn't they?

I do find examples like this to really harm my profession but I can't see how it will ever change when every site, including newspapers and TV, have to come up with new content every minute of every day to maintain a good page ranking and compete on the web stats (which in turn, obviously, makes money through advertising).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wow, now we know the DM read this forum!

Rather than actually read the forum, I've found that this forum ranks quite high with Google. Perhaps the journalist did a search and found this thread that way.

In fact, I am sure Google gets all the papers loads of 'leads' and stories.

A simple email or PM to say the details were going to be used would have been nice. What if the OP had made the story up?

I got a Tweet to say that my comments about a recent security incident at Finsbury Park were going to be used in an online story for a local paper - and asked some more questions to clarify a few things.

But, hey, even the BBC will run stories based on rumours on the Internet now. It's great as when they turn out to be untrue, they can blame the unconfirmed source.

I do wonder if Joe Public would ever agree to not being told until something is confirmed? They want news now, so can't wait for annoying things like facts!!

Last edited:

The Snap

Established Member
What? He engaged in a completely stupid act with no consideration for his own safety and paid the ultimate penalty. He deserved all he got for his stupidity! Natural selection I believe they call it...

I disagree entirely I'm affraid.

Skoodle

The man obviously knew what he was doing was wrong, hence why he was trying to smoke inbetween the carriages. Therefore I also have no sympathy for him, just to his family and those involved in the incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.