• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fatality at Chalfont & Latimer - A warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you fell between carriages on a 323, I think the whole fleet would be pulled out of service rather quickly - and probably every variant of it!

es373

I like how they say 50mph... No one but the driver would know the speed and the limit on the shuttle is not 50mph either... its 35mph...

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I like how they say 50mph... No one but the driver would know the speed and the limit on the shuttle is not 50mph either... its 35mph...

The train was travelling on the down between Chorleywood & Chalfont, where the speed limit is 60mph.

bengley

Established Member

I was on the train and when I said that I was making an estimate based on the line speed and the maximum speed of the trains, with 50mph being the norm on that stretch of line.

es373

Bengly.
The speed on the chesham shuttle is not 50 as the track is in bad shape. Trust me.... Line Speed for the shuttle is 35mph. Try doing 50mph over the blue bridge just out of Chesham and tell me you wont derail.

Also the A stock is not restricted. I've seen it taken off the clock on several occasions..

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bengly.
The speed on the chesham shuttle is not 50 as the track is in bad shape. Trust me.... Line Speed for the shuttle is 35mph. Try doing 50mph over the blue bridge just out of Chesham and tell me you wont derail.
But this incident didn't happen on the branch, it happened between Chorleywood and Chalfont/Latimer.

es373

hang on... ive heard and been told by several employees people it happened on the branch line.....

ah f**k it.. dont care much anyway!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Bengly.

Also the A stock is not restricted. I've seen it taken off the clock on several occasions..

It's a moot point though, isnt it? The incident happened between Chorleywood & Chalfont and Latimer stations, so it was a Baker Street - Chesham through train, not a Chalfont to Chesham shuttle. The speed limit on that stretch of line is 60mph.
I am unfamiliar with the LUL stock so I couldnt comment on what speed it would have been going, but then we dont know at what point the guy fell off the train either do we? (Well, it hasnt been reported.) Was the coach empty or full? Did people actually see him fall? Was he travelling alone or with friends? A lot of unanswered questions, and arguing about the line speed on a bridge several miles from the incident seems somewhat pointless.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Bengly.
The speed on the chesham shuttle is not 50

It's a moot point though, isnt it? The incident happened between Chorleywood & Chalfont and Latimer stations, so it was a Baker Street - Chesham through train, not a Chalfont to Chesham shuttle.

As I pointed out above, since last December there have been no shuttles - all Chesham trains run at least as far as Rickmansworth with almost all going at least as far as Baker Street.

Last edited:

bengley

Established Member
It's a moot point though, isnt it? The incident happened between Chorleywood & Chalfont and Latimer stations, so it was a Baker Street - Chesham through train, not a Chalfont to Chesham shuttle. The speed limit on that stretch of line is 60mph.
I am unfamiliar with the LUL stock so I couldnt comment on what speed it would have been going, but then we dont know at what point the guy fell off the train either do we? (Well, it hasnt been reported.) Was the coach empty or full? Did people actually see him fall? Was he travelling alone or with friends? A lot of unanswered questions, and arguing about the line speed on a bridge several miles from the incident seems somewhat pointless.

There were people on the train, I understand 3 people actually saw him fall. He was travelling alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.