• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It'll be either that or the Farecard livery (linked below), i don't think they've finalised the plans yet and it seems to have changed a few times since 2008.

* New Post *

37637/38 are now withdrawn and next to depart for Bath.

Ex-First Manchester (and latterly Diamond Bus) B7RLEs 69135/36 are due to join the fleet as driver trainers while native 69123/24 will also be coming off at some point in the near future for conversion. This means the service fleet will no longer have any Euro3 vehicles.
Wasn’t 69124 recently refurbished and relivered?

With the 3 and 23 eventually possibly becoming Streetdeck operated, are we expecting Aberdeen to retain their current Streetlites to oust some of the older B7RLEs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wasn’t 69124 recently refurbished and relivered?

With the 3 and 23 eventually possibly becoming Streetdeck operated, are we expecting Aberdeen to retain their current Streetlites to oust some of the older B7RLEs?
Indeed, hence i'm hoping it doesn't go for training as it would seem a real waste, it's the smartest bus in the fleet besides the Streetdecks.

Plans now are for the second batch to be primarily for the three. However it should be noted that off peak the 3/3A and 19 only require 18 buses combined. So that would leave 7 Streetdecks surplus (since we will have 25 in total). Where they'll be used is unclear as although it was originally said that the surplus ones would be used on the 23 that is yet to happen, the only time the Streetdecks have been on the 23 is in the evening as there's a duty that works from the 19 on to the 23.

Nothing is set in stone but there's speculation that the next set of Streetdecks will indirectly replace the E200MMCs on the 13 and a few more B7RLEs. This is due to persistent reliability issues with the type caused by damage due clearance issues on the route, particularly grounding out and going over kerbs. Most days lately there's only been two or three E200MMCs on the 13 at most with the other duties covered by B7RLEs and E300s. 67086 spent much of January off the road while 67090 hasn't seen service for over 6 weeks.

Additionally if you look at the E200MMCs close up you'll see they're very battle-scarred with the skirt panels all scratched and dented.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Indeed, hence i'm hoping it doesn't go for training as it would seem a real waste, it's the smartest bus in the fleet besides the Streetdecks.

Plans now are for the second batch to be primarily for the three. However it should be noted that off peak the 3/3A and 19 only require 18 buses combined. So that would leave 7 Streetdecks surplus (since we will have 25 in total). Where they'll be used is unclear as although it was originally said that the surplus ones would be used on the 23 that is yet to happen, the only time the Streetdecks have been on the 23 is in the evening as there's a duty that works from the 19 on to the 23.

Nothing is set in stone but there's speculation that the next set of Streetdecks will indirectly replace the E200MMCs on the 13 and a few more B7RLEs. This is due to persistent reliability issues with the type caused by damage due clearance issues on the route, particularly grounding out and going over kerbs. Most days lately there's only been two or three E200MMCs on the 13 at most with the other duties covered by B7RLEs and E300s. 67086 spent much of January off the road while 67090 hasn't seen service for over 6 weeks.

Additionally if you look at the E200MMCs close up you'll see they're very battle-scarred with the skirt panels all scratched and dented.
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if given that the E200MMCs are non standard of the Aberdeen fleet whether they’ll be drafted off or just simply moved on to another route more suitable for them.

Glasgow has plenty of E200MMCs and with LEZ upcoming they could always be welcomed to clear off some more B7RLEs.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if given that the E200MMCs are non standard of the Aberdeen fleet whether they’ll be drafted off or just simply moved on to another route more suitable for them.

Glasgow has plenty of E200MMCs and with LEZ upcoming they could always be welcomed to clear off some more B7RLEs.
As i say it's just inside speculation at the moment but it seems they will be getting moved to another opco rather than staying, as you say them being non-standard is part of the motivation in that.

Volvodart

Established Member
The last Volvo B7LA artic, 10165, ended service yesterday and is now off fleet and sold.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
For those interested here's a video of Streetdeck-FCEV 39713.

Much to my surprised unlike Wrights of recent years they actually seem pretty well built with few rattles. Being electric drive they're very smooth and seem to sit quite happily at 30MPH along North Deeside Road.

cnjb8

Established Member
For those interested here's a video of Streetdeck-FCEV 39713.

Much to my surprised unlike Wrights of recent years they actually seem pretty well built with few rattles. Being electric drive they're very smooth and seem to sit quite happily at 30MPH along North Deeside Road.

Nice to see Wright improving, although I don't think they can do much worse than the StreetLite

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Nice to see Wright improving, although I don't think they can do much worse than the StreetLite
I don't think the build quality of Streetlite's is that bad, except for the emergency exit handle. It's the ride quality that is more of an issue, which is partly because of the lightweight nature, unyielding suspension, and partly because of the gearbox and how it's set up.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If the build quality of those Streetdecks is consistent with the rest of Wrights new builds then i'm certainly looking forward to more of them coming.

I've been on Lothians last batch of Geminis new in 2018 (essentially the same bodywork) and the difference in build quality is like night and day. For a start the upper deck floor doesn't sag or creak when someone walks along it, there's very few rattles and the internal fittings feel less flimsy.
I don't think the build quality of Streetlite's is that bad, except for the emergency exit handle. It's the ride quality that is more of an issue, which is partly because of the lightweight nature, unyielding suspension, and partly because of the gearbox and how it's set up.
Much of the "rattling" on Streetlites comes from the Air Compressor which is painfully loud at lower speed / idling when sitting at the back.

cnjb8

Established Member
I've only ever been on a few of them, and they have all of those issues. I think the StreetLite was rock bottom for Wright, so it's nice to see the StreetDecks faring better

Volvodart

Established Member
Funding of £4.5 million has been awarded to Aberdeen City Council for the introduction of 10 new hydrogen buses into the city’s public transport fleet.

https://www.gov.scot/news/driving-progress-to-a-net-zero-future/

Driving progress to a net-zero future​

Published: 06 Mar 2021 00:01
Hydrogen bus investment announced.
Funding of £4.5 million has been awarded to Aberdeen City Council for the introduction of 10 new hydrogen buses into the city’s public transport fleet.

The money comes from the £62 million Energy Transition Fund which was set up to help ensure a green recovery from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and support the energy sector’s transition to a net-zero economy.

The Fund, with a focus on the North East, underpins the region’s ambitions to become a world leader in the transition to net zero, creating good green jobs and growing the local economy in a way that is fair and benefits everyone.

The hydrogen industry has the potential to be worth up to £25 billion a year to Scotland’s economy by 2045. £100 million has been committed over the next five years to stimulate the sector and its supply chain.

Scotland’s Energy Minister Paul Wheelhouse said:

“The Scottish Government is wholly committed to ending Scotland’s contribution to climate change, and doing so in a way that ensures no-one is left behind as our economy undergoes the transformation required to reach net zero.

“It is vital we seize the opportunity to take forward a green, low-carbon recovery and support our energy workforce as the sector diversifies. Now is the time to re-imagine the Scotland around us and to ensure we build a greener, fairer and more equal society and economy.

“I am pleased to be announcing this funding to expand the Aberdeen Hydrogen Hub project, which is securing demand for clean green hydrogen in the transport sector and ramping up hydrogen production.

“No one fuel or technology is, by itself, the solution to climate change, but hydrogen has the potential to be a very important part of a progressive energy system supporting the decarbonisation of our transport, heating and industry. We are committed to supporting this emerging sector to maximise the economic benefits that the production of hydrogen can bring.”

Aberdeen City Council Co-Leader Councillor Jenny Laing said:

“We are delighted to have been awarded £4.5 million from the Energy Transition Fund as the investment will contribute to the funding of 10 additional hydrogen double decker buses. These vehicles will increase the world’s first hydrogen double decker bus fleet in Aberdeen to 25 and complement one of the largest and most varied fleets of hydrogen vehicles across Europe which includes cars, vans, road sweepers and waste trucks.

“Aberdeen is one of Europe’s pioneering hydrogen cities and through the work of Aberdeen City Council, we have developed a cluster of hydrogen activity. The grant will help us to secure additional demand for hydrogen and support our ongoing work around establishing a Hydrogen Hub with significant large-scale offshore wind resources, supply chain expertise, and hydrogen storage capability.

“Together these initiatives will help ensure Aberdeen is at the forefront of supporting Scotland’s green recovery, whilst demonstrating the city’s continued success at being a leader in hydrogen technology.”

Aberdeen City Council Co-Leader Councillor Douglas Lumsden said:

“The investment in our hydrogen buses project will also support our ambitious plans to combat climate change as part of our Net Zero Vision and Strategic Infrastructure Plan for Energy Transition.

“The proposed Energy Transition Zone is expected to accelerate the development of carbon capture technology and renewable energies, including capitalising on emerging opportunities in offshore wind, as well as greener oil and gas production.

“The buses and our Hydrogen Hub show our commitment to achieving net zero and support the global energy transition as a climate positive city while cementing our position as a world leader in the energy sector as an economic driver for the city, region, Scotland and the UK.”

Background
The Energy Transition Fund was announced in June 2020.

The Scottish Government published a Hydrogen Policy Statement in December 2020. The Energy Minister delivered a statement on developing Scotland’s hydrogen economy in February 2021.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

https://www.gov.scot/news/driving-progress-to-a-net-zero-future/
To add to that a recent article by Coach & Bus Weekly also includes a quote from Andrew Jarvis:

Andrew Jarvis, Managing Director for First Bus in Scotland, said: “We are delighted to hear the news of Aberdeen City Council securing this additional funding to further enhance the city’s zero emission hydrogen-powered fleet of buses. The current fleet has been well received, bringing well deserved international attention and much excitement to the city, so we are excited to work with Aberdeen City Council on this next phase of their hydrogen journey.”
I wont quote the rest of the article as it's word for word the same as the one already posted.

*New Post*

The final Citaro 11114 has now entered service.

Unfortunately the reliability of the Citaros hasn't been great with them lately rarely having more than 3 in service at once. 11108/12/15 seem to be the most reliable examples however even they have had periods off the road. As such Geminis 37643/44 which were due to be going to Bath have been reinstated, if this is a temporary or permeant measure i'm not sure. 37643 has been working the University contract 9U daily for the past two weeks while 37644 is being used on Lochside Academy runs. Also of note is that NHS livery Gemini 37635 seems to be allocated to a dedicated duty on the 17A/18/172 now while 37636 has been off the road for the past two weeks, this however shouldn't be of much surprise as 37636 is known to be one of the least reliable buses in the fleet.

There are plans to start route branding the E300s for the 17/18 soon, these will be gaining purple fronts so presumably the the second batch of Streetdecks which are due to go on the 3 will have a different colour as at present purple is used for the 3 while the 17/18 are blue.

Full list of repainted buses as of 25/03/21

Citaros: 11106, 11108, 11109, 11110, 11111, 11112, 11113, 11114, 11115
B9TL/Gemini: 37635, 37636
Enviro500: 38201, 38203, 38209, 38210, 38211, 38218, 38219, 38220, 38221, 38222, 38224
Streetdeck-FCEV: 39701, 39702, 39703, 39704, 39705, 39706, 39707, 39708, 39709, 39710, 39711, 39712, 39713, 39714, 39715
Streetlite-Max: 63196, 63199, 63201, 63203, 63212, 63214
Enviro300: 67783, 67786, 67791, 67793, 67796, 67797, 67798, 67799, 67800, 67801, 67802, 67803, 67804
B7RLE/Eclipse: 69124, 69130, 69134, 69254, 69258, 69263, 69282, 69284, 69290, 69294

Branding Key: No Colour = Unbranded, Red Line 1/1B/2, Turquoise Line 19

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I’d have thought the 17/18 would have been branded blue while the 3 would have been purple as at present it’s the “thistle line”. I thought they’d have kept to the Overground colour scheme.

Volvodart

Established Member
The Northern Lights colours were an amalgamation of the old colours of the 17 (blue) and 18 (maroon).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I’d have thought the 17/18 would have been branded blue while the 3 would have been purple as at present it’s the “thistle line”. I thought they’d have kept to the Overground colour scheme.
Likewise. When i heard Purple i thought they may have been meaning the old "Claret" colour that the 18/X18 (Dyce-Airyhall) were from March 2001 to April 2008, the colour was then carried on with the 21 (Dyce-Cove) which replaced the 18, before the 21 was renumbered back to 18 and fully merged with the 17 in September 2012.
The Northern Lights colours were an amalgamation of the old colours of the 17 (blue) and 18 (maroon).
Originally only the 18 was going to be branded however marketing hadn't realised the 17 and 18 do quite significantly interwork so it's being reworked i believe.

Volvodart

Established Member
I would have held off and branded them when they get their exhaust conversions, but there is no sign of this year's funding starting to be bid for, so that is going to be some time.

Volvodart

Established Member
I do not think the cost of hydrogen is that much cheaper than diesel for the bus to run all day. Obviously the fuelling station would have to make a profit and try and recoup some of the set up costs, as BOC are also involved. It could be First pays a similar price to the diesel bus fuel cost.

Mr Jarvis, the MD, said in the interview below that the cost of the hydrogen was equivalent to diesel costs (but electricity for electric buses is a lot cheaper).

https://soundcloud.com/user-2428657...driving-forward-hydrogen-power-with-first-bus

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if Aberdeen will see any electric buses or whether they’ll keep Hydrogen to Aberdeen and Electric to Glasgow.

Volvodart

Established Member
First Aberdeen are introducing flexible day tickets bundles next week:-

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/aberdeen/tickets/flexible-tickets

A Flexible Life Needs a Flexible Ticket.​

From Monday 26th April, we’ll be launching new flexible First Day Ticket Bundles designed to suit your travel needs by offering a flexible travel solution.
In response to a new blend of home and office working, our new Bundle Tickets will offer a value for money option to suit changing routines.

First Day Bundles will be available exclusively on The First Bus App, including 5-Day, 10-Day and 15-day options which can be activated individually when required, with the remaining tickets stored on your phone until next time.

Student Ticket options will also be available, for those returning to College or University on a blended or part-time basis.

First Day Bundle Prices​

Ticket TypePrice
(App only)
Validity
Adult 5-Day Bundle Ticket£19.502 week validity
Student 5-Day Bundle Ticket£16.402 week validity
Adult 10-Day Bundle Ticket£37.004 week validity
Student 10-Day Bundle Ticket£30.004 week validity
Adult 15-Day Bundle Ticket£55.006 week validity
Student 15-Day Bundle Ticket£45.006 week validity
Remember when purchasing Student Tickets, a valid matriculation card must be shown to the driver upon boarding the bus.

Deltic1961

Good idea that. My son is going to have to get the bus from City Centre to RGU after the summer, maybe 2 or 3 days a week, so that means it will cost a bit less than he thought.

Nice one First.

Stan Drews

Established Member
A number of operators have had the option to buy a ‘carnet’ of day tickets (5 or 10) long before covid came along. They’re usually available on their mobile apps, and as you say they are likely to become a more popular option as people continue to spend part of their working week at home. I imagine most operators will carry out some appropriate marketing as things slowly return to some kind of normality.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A number of operators have had the option to buy a ‘carnet’ of day tickets (5 or 10) long before covid came along. They’re usually available on their mobile apps, and as you say they are likely to become a more popular option as people continue to spend part of their working week at home. I imagine most operators will carry out some appropriate marketing as things slowly return to some kind of normality.
First Aberdeen had exactly that even under the name "carnet", i never used it so i'm not sure if/when it was dropped. Although to my knowledge it was never offered on the app.

B7LA 10144 carried advertising for it from 2012 until withdrawal in 2015. (Pictured below)

Deltic1961

Looked like a broken down Streetdeck just outside Culter city bound. Huge tailbacks behind it.

Doesn't help that one of the rear indicator bulbs has gone making it look like it's pulling out rather than hazards.

PG

Established Member
Looked like a broken down Streetdeck just outside Culter city bound. Huge tailbacks behind it.

Doesn't help that one of the rear indicator bulbs has gone making it look like it's pulling out rather than hazards.
Did the unfortunate driver not use the universal breakdown signal of opening the rear engine cover?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
First are celebrating the Streetdecks passing the 100,000 mile milestone.

First Bus’ Hydrogen Fleet Hits 100,000 Milestone​

170,000kg of CO2 saved from the environment

First Aberdeen and Aberdeen City Council are celebrating this week after their hydrogen double-decker bus fleet notched up its first major milestone - completing 100,000 miles of operation.
Since launching into customer service in January, the fleet of 15 First Aberdeen buses, manufactured in the UK by Wrightbus, has already saved a whopping 170,000kg of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere – the equivalent of taking 42 cars off the road for a year – marking a significant step forward in improving the city’s air quality for its residents.
Michelle Thomson, hydrogen bus driver at First Aberdeen, said: "Drivers and the public absolutely love the new hydrogen buses - sailing smoothly and silently through the city's streets is an absolute joy. We get people hopping on just for a ride, to enjoy the experience.
“It’s been especially lovely during lockdown, too, as the buses are so quiet that socially distancing passengers wearing masks can still have a natter from either end of the bus. As drivers, it makes us much more in tune with what’s going on on board, so we’re able to deliver the best in customer service.
“In fact, they’re so quiet that we’re getting more customers nodding off on board – I imagine this will start to happen more as hospitality opens up and people take the opportunity to make their way back from the pub!
“It’s lovely driving through countryside routes as well, knowing that we’re not disturbing the peace – we can glide through, hardly noticed. But most of all it’s great knowing that we’re doing our bit to help protect the planet - that’s really important to us all."
The exhausts of this world-first zero-emission fleet emit nothing more than water vapour and the hydrogen fuel is made from just electricity from wind power and water. Aberdeen makes its own hydrogen to power the buses, making it an even greener energy source for the local community.
Aberdeen City Council Co-Leader, Councillor Douglas Lumsden, said: “Transforming the city's carbon footprint on a large scale is no easy feat, but we're committed to making continuous progress and are proud to be leading the way in the transport industry with First Aberdeen to bring our joint vision of low emission public transport to life.”
The existing 15 hydrogen buses are now in service across the city with the majority of them predominantly operating on the Service 19 route in Aberdeen.
Ian Gillott, Wrightbus Group Director, said: “To reach 100,000 miles is a significant milestone. It is a credit to Aberdeen City Council and to First Bus that they have embraced this new technology so readily, putting Aberdeen firmly and historically on the zero emissions map.”
To support the fleet’s deployment, Wrightbus installed a support team of hydrogen specialists on the ground in Aberdeen as well as an escalation team and a technical back-up team on 24-hour call.
The hydrogen buses will continue to make a valuable difference to the environment as well as Aberdonians’ cardiovascular and respiratory health as each one is expected to save 80 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year - the equivalent of removing 38 petrol or 40 diesel cars from the road.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I noticed a Streetdeck in Caledonia Depot today. Any idea what it’s doing down here?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I noticed a Streetdeck in Caledonia Depot today. Any idea what it’s doing down here?
It'll be 39711, it was towed down from Aberdeen yesterday. It's there for repairs after an incident at King Street Depot damaged the upper deck in March.