• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I dont think the 4 makes money anymore. It used to get new buses, it was one of the first routes to get geminis. Now it still gets them geminis. It also had the e500s at new.

As for bendies ive never enjoyed travelling on them. They are popular in Europe, often have less seats and more standing room there, i remember in Athens being packed in one.

I don’t think the 4 is a big money maker anymore. It used to be a really busy route as it was Streamline along with the equally busy 62. However over the years it has started to drop off with the route being cut and older buses starting to appear on it. At one stage it got the newest buses and the E500s. Not sure what the solution with the 4 is now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
As I said last week I could easily see the 4 being cut further and them doing the route earlier in lockdown through Mearns, Waterfoot and into Eaglesham while removing the link to the shops. Probably had one of the worst declines since Simplicity out of any of the popular services at the time

Jordan Adam

Established Member
What is it with, let make cut backs in this thread?

Agree, the same topic seems to be getting regurgitated each week. Reorganisation of "The One" network of services, reduce frequency on the 2 and convert it to deckers, unreliability of the 6 etc.

The 9 as far as I’m led to believe is getting electric buses.

Presumably those will be some of the 35 deckers announced by the Scottish Gov a few weeks back. .

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the many mentions of cut backs are pretty realistic of what might happen going forward especially with the LEZ getting closer and closer.

Cut backs will play a part at some point

smtglasgow

About the 4 up to Newton Mearns: I’ve got an old aunt who’s lived on Mearns Rd forever and tbh, it’s always been dead during the day. Have you seen the average age of the locals?? I can remember going up to Mearns Cross on a 44 about twenty years ago and there only being a couple of folk on board. I'm guessing the peaks keep it going. If I was First I’d be much more worried about the decline on the north side up to the University and beyond – that’s more recent and it’s been a big drop. It takes a special kind of skill to see serious decline on a route serving a university at a time when student numbers have been rising exponentially – and a decent number of Glasgow students still live at home, so they’re not all in halls.

overthewater

Established Member
I think the many mentions of cut backs are pretty realistic of what might happen going forward especially with the LEZ getting closer and closer.

Cut backs will play a part at some point

Lez has been pushed back, Lez only effect buses within the City centre, Are you saying they will be less buses going into the City centre?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Lez has been pushed back, Lez only effect buses within the City centre, Are you saying they will be less buses going into the City centre?

Likelihood is yes because some frequencies will probably drop at some point

PaulMc7

Established Member
About the 4 up to Newton Mearns: I’ve got an old aunt who’s lived on Mearns Rd forever and tbh, it’s always been dead during the day. Have you seen the average age of the locals?? I can remember going up to Mearns Cross on a 44 about twenty years ago and there only being a couple of folk on board. I'm guessing the peaks keep it going. If I was First I’d be much more worried about the decline on the north side up to the University and beyond – that’s more recent and it’s been a big drop. It takes a special kind of skill to see serious decline on a route serving a university at a time when student numbers have been rising exponentially – and a decent number of Glasgow students still live at home, so they’re not all in halls.

The subway definitely hasn't helped the 4/4A/6/6A to be honest. Even some of the peaks I've been on in recent years have been quiet.

Work from home will more than likely still be a thing into next year, funding could still be a massive factor for bus companies going forward and there's still a lot of people that don't think it's safe to use public transport so car use will probably keep increasing too. Car use will also affect shopping too

route101

Established Member

I remember last year, i got on a 4 at the uni city bound , around 4 as the uni finished , i wasnt a student but only one other person got on.

Yes, most students in Scotland stay at home, i did,dont know how they afford it.

Has the 4 up Newton Mearns always been every 30 mins?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Presumably those will be some of the 35 deckers announced by the Scottish Gov a few weeks back. .

I don't think the 9 will be getting deckers. The loadings on that route barely justify it due to the high competition with McGill's 38. Even their 38 barely fills the one Double Decker that runs on this route, same with the singles.

Glasgow to receive 22 electric buses

standard or better and the retrofit programme along with the 22 pure electric vehicles will further enhance the Glasgow City Council LEZ compliance plan, with over 60% of the vehicles reaching Euro VI standard once the 187-vehicle projects are completed.

What is it with, let make cut backs in this thread?

Cutbacks will inevitably come.

Economy is in tatters.

Unemployment is not getting any better.

Scottish Government is actively telling people to work from home and when the virus is finally over, there will be a clamour for working from home to be made permanent or flexible working or staggered start times for work to avoid overcrowding or percieved overcrowding. Jason Leitch in one of the press conferences has said this pandemic will be here for a considerable time.

Discretionary leisure travel will be in tatters as people wont be able to afford a day/night out.

Cineworld cinemas in major trouble. Other leisure businesses have went bust, major shops have went out of business or closed selected branches. Almost every night on the Scottish news we are hearing about how the hospitality and entertainment sector is on its knees and how businesses are going to collapse.

Driving along the M8 motorway at 1730 in my car and getting a clear run all the way through the city centre and seeing X7s, 500s and 901s burning fuel and carrying fresh air is not sustainable.

ScotRail have said their peak is now Saturdays.

During the worst of lockdown more people had to resort to Amazon and home delivery from supermarkets sky rocketed and this will again reduce demand for discretionary leisure travel.

Edinburgh Festival and Christmas Markets are cancelled in Edinburgh, along with the one in Glasgow decimating the leisure traffic that they generated for public transport. The income lost to Lothian Buses and the sightseeing tours for this year must be considerable.

The current bailout for buses will only last for so long, at some point the pot of money keeping buses afloat will run out. Bus operators are only running pre-pandemic service levels to accomodate social distancing.

While I dont think it will be severe cuts to services, there will be some fat to trim, regardless of operator and their ownership.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

standard or better and the retrofit programme along with the 22 pure electric vehicles will further enhance the Glasgow City Council LEZ compliance plan, with over 60% of the vehicles reaching Euro VI standard once the 187-vehicle projects are completed.

It’ll be interesting to see what Glasgow end up with whether it be more singles or deckers. Perhaps funding may result in Streetdecks coming to Glasgow or a different kind of bus. It’s exciting they’re trying new things.

LT02 NVV

It’ll be interesting to see what Glasgow end up with whether it be more singles or deckers. Perhaps funding may result in Streetdecks coming to Glasgow or a different kind of bus. It’s exciting they’re trying new things.
Well RIP LT02 NWC then.

38A-Z

I remember last year, i got on a 4 at the uni city bound , around 4 as the uni finished , i wasnt a student but only one other person got on.

Yes, most students in Scotland stay at home, i did,dont know how they afford it.

Has the 4 up Newton Mearns always been every 30 mins?

The 4 to Newton Mearns went to every 30 mins at Simplicity.
4A to Eaglesham- every 30 mins
4 to Muirend terminus- every 30 mins.
so city bound was every 10 mins from Muirend to city then west.

I think when they were 44s, if you got the 44s from the city to Clarkston:
44 to Eaglesham twice an hour (eg 00+30)
44A to Mearns/ Crookfur 4 an hour (eg 10/20/40/50).

I cant remember when the 4 moved from Crookfur to Ayr Road terminus, I don’t think that happened at the start of Simpicity though.

route101

Established Member
The 4 to Newton Mearns went to every 30 mins at Simplicity.
4A to Eaglesham- every 30 mins
4 to Muirend terminus- every 30 mins.
so city bound was every 10 mins from Muirend to city then west.

I think when they were 44s, if you got the 44s from the city to Clarkston:
44 to Eaglesham twice an hour (eg 00+30)
44A to Mearns/ Crookfur 4 an hour (eg 10/20/40/50).

I cant remember when the 4 moved from Crookfur to Ayr Road terminus, I don’t think that happened at the start of Simpicity though.

I thought I was dreaming in thinking the 44 was as frequent up to the means.

The 4 move to Ayr road is a more recent thing, it's not as good for the avenue now.

Stan Drews

Established Member

The 4 move to Ayr road is a more recent thing, it's not as good for the avenue now.
Going way back to Western/Clydeside days the Eaglesham/Mearns services (01 & 02) generally combined to a joint 15 min service as far as Clarkston (30 on each leg) during the main part of the day, with some peak extras. Dropped to 30mins (both hourly) evenings and Sundays. When SBL started their competing services, they largely matched those frequencies.

38A-Z

It‘s ok tbh as the stop on Eaglesham Rd is near the traffic lights at Ayr Rd and there’s an entrance to the Avenue across the Road. The stop on Barrhead Road is across from Asda warehouse, no crossing unless you walk back to Ayr Road then walk along the side and through the car park so it’s probably a better stop for people to get to the Avenue safely.

Going way back to Western/Clydeside days the Eaglesham/Mearns services (01 & 02) generally combined to a joint 15 min service as far as Clarkston (30 on each leg) during the main part of the day, with some peak extras. Dropped to 30mins (both hourly) evenings and Sundays. When SBL started their competing services, they largely matched those frequencies.

i remember getting the 02 when I was a kid, only a couple of times, to visit my pal at Mearns Rd. Where did it end? I’m thinking it was Mearnskirk or Fairweather Place?. No one called them the one or the two, it was the oh-1 or the oh-2! No simplicity in those days!

Stan Drews

Established Member
i remember getting the 02 when I was a kid, only a couple of times, to visit my pal at Mearns Rd. Where did it end? I’m thinking it was Mearnskirk or Fairweather Place?. No one called them the one or the two, it was the oh-1 or the oh-2! No simplicity in those days!
I think for quite a while the pattern during the day was hourly to Fairweather Place and hourly to Mearnskirk Hospital.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Wonder if the 38 will go back to normal at any point. Don't see it soon to be honest given Covid circumstances and I don't see Newton Mearns needing the 38 every 20 mins again and I don't see Woodfarm/Rouken Glen needing a bus every 10 mins again

route101

Established Member
It‘s ok tbh as the stop on Eaglesham Rd is near the traffic lights at Ayr Rd and there’s an entrance to the Avenue across the Road. The stop on Barrhead Road is across from Asda warehouse, no crossing unless you walk back to Ayr Road then walk along the side and through the car park so it’s probably a better stop for people to get to the Avenue safely.

I thought the 4!does not serve Barrhead road anymore?

38A-Z

[/QUOTE]
I thought the 4!does not serve Barrhead road anymore?

It doesn’t. Sorry, I thought the comment was about the route change to Ayr Road, possibly about the frequency?

I think for quite a while the pattern during the day was hourly to Fairweather Place and hourly to Mearnskirk Hospital.

Thanks for that, Stan.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Find it odd how on the timetable around peak time too towards Newton Mearns that 2 journeys in a row only go to Clarkston meaning there's an hour between buses towards Newton Mearns. Would have thought keeping them balanced at peak would have been priority

16:31 then not another Mearns bus til 17:36 from Union Street

38A-Z

Wonder if the 38 will go back to normal at any point. Don't see it soon to be honest given Covid circumstances and I don't see Newton Mearns needing the 38 every 20 mins again and I don't see Woodfarm/Rouken Glen needing a bus every 10 mins again

I agree. i don’t think Woodfarm and Rouken Glen ever needed a 10 minute service tbh.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I agree. i don’t think Woodfarm and Rouken Glen ever needed a 10 minute service tbh.

Yeah I've used the bus to go to Rouken Glen Park a lot in recent years and been the last person on the bus pretty much every single time and it's been virtually empty from Giffnock onwards