• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KendalKing

Established Member
if you don't already know, Bracknell depot is closing http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/berkshire_thames/travel_news/news_initiatives/?item=28201&conf=0

Which is probably the source of potential cascades. Such as Tridents to replace Olympians.

There are actually three depots closing.

The following was taken from Firstbus website:-

First Bus has announced proposals to close three of its smaller depots: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Hereford and Bracknell later this year.

Under the proposals, which are subject to consultation, Bracknell will close 28 August. Some routes will be retained but will operate from First’s depot in Slough, including Greenline Services to London and Legoland services. First Bus, as previously announced, has also sold to Reading Buses Route 90, which operates between Reading and Bracknell.

First proposes to close Hereford and Newcastle-under-Lyme depots on 5 September. In Hereford just 3,500 passengers per day travel with First and therefore the company plans to withdraw completely from the area. In the Potteries First proposes to combine its Newcastle under Lyme and Stoke Adderley Green Depots, which are in close proximity.

First said it remains committed to running a significant fleet in the Potteries in the long term and will remain a major employer, but operating two depots in such close proximity is no longer a viable option. In both Bracknell and Hereford given the volume of other bus operators in the area, First said it was confident that customers shouldn’t be left without a service.

First said that in the wake of challenging local economies, reductions in external funding and insufficient passenger demand, difficult decisions had to be reached in order to sustain the long term future of its local businesses.

Giles Fearnley, Managing Director of First Bus, said: “In 2012 we launched our transformation plan which has seen great success in a huge number of our local businesses, as we reported at our full year results earlier in June. We continue to see passenger and revenue growth across the business and we have a wide range of actions to be implemented throughout this year to further benefit our customers and maintain growth. However, despite all the hard work, we have been unable to make the progress we were seeking in Bracknell, Hereford and in some parts of the Potteries.

“Whilst these proposals are disappointing, we simply must ensure our local businesses are on a sustainable and solid footing in order that we maintain the momentum of change toward meeting our medium term financial targets and therefore protect jobs in the long term. Regrettably, we see no alternative, but to close these depots.”

First confirmed that it has started the collective consultation process with trade unions on the possibility of redundancies at all three depots, with a combined 222 jobs 'at risk'. First said that it will actively support any employee who would wish to transfer to other First operations. In addition many colleagues in Bracknell will have opportunities to transfer to the Slough depot, Reading Buses or the new operator of Bracknell Forest Council’s contracted services.

Giles Fearnley added: “We understand that our proposals will be very distressing for our employees. Our plans do not, in any way, reflect the commitment of affected colleagues, who have worked tirelessly to provide the best possible service to local communities. I’d like to thank them for their hard work and loyalty. Should the proposals go ahead we will be doing everything that we can to assist those affected, including the possibility of transferring colleagues to other First Bus operations.”

Employees affected by the proposals amount to around 1% of the total number of First Bus employees across the UK.

83G/84D

Established Member
Volvo B7L 61594 has received the Kernow branding with a variation. It has a roof level horizontal black band starting behind the cab / entrance door going back along the side of he bus. It features the cornish flag and the words "serving communities in Cornwall since 1929" (or something very similar).

I did not get a photograph but it is very noticeable so stands out from the other "Kernow" branded Scania's at a distance.

richw

Veteran Member
Why is this though?

And saw 53012 in Redruth today in the new livery

Could be a number of reasons. They all had full wrap round ads across the back, but are now left with sticky residue.

Could be a number of reasons, the advertisement deal may have ended, preparation for a paint, leaving the area, amongst many other reasons,

83G/84D

Established Member
Here is the ex Glasgow Volvo B7L 61594 as mentioned yesterday:-

Attachments

• DSCF2267rev.jpg
    DSCF2267rev.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF2277.jpg
    DSCF2277.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF2279.jpg
    DSCF2279.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF2270.jpg
    DSCF2270.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
if you don't already know, Bracknell depot is closing http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/berkshire_thames/travel_news/news_initiatives/?item=28201&conf=0

Which is probably the source of potential cascades. Such as Tridents to replace Olympians.
Nope. Deckers are coming from South Yorkshire.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Could be a number of reasons. They all had full wrap round ads across the back, but are now left with sticky residue.

Could be a number of reasons, the advertisement deal may have ended, preparation for a paint, leaving the area, amongst many other reasons,

Expired adverts

LAIRA

Please can someone remind me the reg of the white Dart ex Greyhound which is still running with First as I saw it in Newquay this morning.

62214 42252 41132 32097 all seen in Newquay this morning

Accelerator59

Please can someone remind me the reg of the white Dart ex Greyhound which is still running with First as I saw it in Newquay this morning.

62214 42252 41132 32097 all seen in Newquay this morning

Think that might be KN52 NFU as I saw it in Truro bus station a couple of weeks ago

pompeyfan

Established Member
Rather poor that it still hasn't received an LED destination screen, doesn't take much.

LAIRA

Rather poor that it still hasn't received an LED destination screen, doesn't take much.

Can anyone explain how this bus has run for so long without a fleetnumber, as I would of thought for it to have had any maintainence it would have needed to be charged to a bus for which it would need a fleetnimber to go into the system.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Perhaps it has got a first fleet number, is it maybe 42214, of has that been used previously?

Agreed about the mention of ensign, although I wouldn't have thought fitting and LED screen, and then removing it after use would invalidate any kind of T&C?

Accelerator59

Perhaps it has got a first fleet number, is it maybe 42214, of has that been used previously?

Agreed about the mention of ensign, although I wouldn't have thought fitting and LED screen, and then removing it after use would invalidate any kind of T&C?

A potential fleet number for this bus could be somewhere between 43840/8

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
The only way you're going to find out for certain is if someone asks to see the vehicle defect card (other companies may have different names for it), which will have it printed on it, along with the date, and If that was me I certainly wouldn't be handing it over to an enthusiast without a valid reason, so I guess we'll just have to keep guessing.

83G/84D

Established Member
And of course there are the ex Metroline Trident's, they don't carry First fleetnumbers externally.

KendalKing

Established Member
A potential fleet number for this bus could be somewhere between 43840/8

These fleetnumbers are all currently in use.

The only way you're going to find out for certain is if someone asks to see the vehicle defect card (other companies may have different names for it), which will have it printed on it,

Why not buy a ticket on the bus?, as the fleetnumber will be printed on the ticket.

Last edited: