• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

cnjb8

Established Member
Porlock Hill is the steepest A road in England and has a maximum gradient of 25%. Chywoone Hill is ‘only’ 14% and Cove Hill’s maximum is 20%.

Which operates on the Atlantic Coaster and not in Somerset. Marc has previously said, about the Scanias, that they’d waited along time for suitable vehicles to come on the market to use on the route.
I was saying it isn’t really non standard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Oh yes - it's steep. In fact, as the gradient is calculated on the centre line, the actual bends are a bit steeper still as this photo (credit to photographer) illustrates

As for Sennen, I remember getting one of the A-VAF Olympians and never thought it would make it! Mind you, it was 25 years old.
I was on 32027 climbing out of Sennen Cove yesterday. The bus was around two thirds full, but really struggled. It made it to the top in the mid-revs range in 1st gear. However, good that the cooling fan was only kicking in when needed, unlike the Presidents which seem to be permanently roaring at the moment!

A brilliant, skillful drive as usual, and busy. There are always plenty of locals as well as tourists on the Land's End Coaster.

swifty

Established Member
I was saying it isn’t really non standard
Oh of course it isn’t but as @83G/84D was saying, it’s a an interesting choice for the route. The Scanias were chosen for a reason so it’ll be interesting to see how the B9 performs alongside.

Last edited:

mic

I was on 32027 climbing out of Sennen Cove yesterday. The bus was around two thirds full, but really struggled. It made it to the top in the mid-revs range in 1st gear. However, good that the cooling fan was only kicking in when needed, unlike the Presidents which seem to be permanently roaring at the moment!

A brilliant, skillful drive as usual, and busy. There are always plenty of locals as well as tourists on the Land's End Coaster.
Is it right that 37729 has a loud cooling fan?

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Is it right that 37729 has a loud cooling fan?
I think the loudness of Volvo cooling fans is relative. Loud through to deafening. :D

I remember a trip I did on 37729 from Newlyn to Porthcurno last year. It wasn't hot weather, but the fan was on continually and was LOUD to the extent that it was so uncomfortable I went downstairs to get away from it. :D

It shouldn't be a problem with the latest acquisition for the Exmoor Coaster as that'll have the mod demanded by TfL before London operators were allowed to buy Volvos again.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
A reminder that if you're referring to tweets or Facebook posts, you must provide the link to the individual post and copy and paste the text into quote tags. Do not post screenshots.

83G/84D

Established Member
Oh yes - it's steep. In fact, as the gradient is calculated on the centre line, the actual bends are a bit steeper still as this photo (credit to photographer) illustrates

As for Sennen, I remember getting one of the A-VAF Olympians and never thought it would make it! Mind you, it was 25 years old. The vehicle policy makes a lot of sense - elderly O/T Tridents on less demanding and more experimental services, the newer e400s on the Atlantic as that's fairly demanding (and they have an existing knowledge of likely patronage) and then some hard core stuff for the punishing Exmoor Coaster route. I wonder if the EC is even beating FSW's expectations for a commercial punt?

Out of interest, when does the season finish on the Exmoor Coaster?

I think it was mentioned before that the E400’s were the primary choice for the Atlantic Coaster as other types may encounter issues at the Harlyn Bridge?

Or did I dream that!?

richw

Veteran Member
I think it was mentioned before that the E400’s were the primary choice for the Atlantic Coaster as other types may encounter issues at the Harlyn Bridge?

Or did I dream that!?
In the past low floor vehicles over 10m have not been able to get over Harlyn humped bridge. On The Buses made reference that the two short 53 plate Gemini’s were suitable for the old A5 a few days back. Indeed when I was trained on the A5, I was taught to ensure I had a 9.9m Trident and not a 10.6m version.

Specifically taken into fleet as they are short enough to turn at Malpas and operate what was the A5

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Interesting. There’s nothing illegal
If that’s the word they use. It wouldn’t break any law!
It was the word used. I think they regretted having been so categoric afterwards, and personnel in the department 'moved on', as they say!

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
I had a ride on the Atlantic Coaster today (one way unexpectedly being a President rather than a E400)

There was some good professional driving at various points on the route, particularly when it meets the bus coming in the opposite direction, at the most inconvenient points. They must be crossing their fingers every trip that they don’t meet something large on the narrow lanes. The drivers on the TfC 56 are included in this as well.

83G/84D

Established Member
I had a ride on the Atlantic Coaster today (one way unexpectedly being a President rather than a E400)

There was some good professional driving at various points on the route, particularly when it meets the bus coming in the opposite direction, at the most inconvenient points. They must be crossing their fingers every trip that they don’t meet something large on the narrow lanes. The drivers on the TfC 56 are included in this as well.

It’s the same on various stretches of the Lands End Coaster particularly between St Ives and Pendeen. Also between Lands End and Penzance can be problematic in several places.

teggers419

30879 30880 and 30955 now officially deleted from the fleet. Now leaves just 32075 plus the "hired in" members still active.

That being the Volvo B7TL ALX400 fleet apart from open top 32027.

On the Buses

30879 30880 and 30955 now officially deleted from the fleet. Now leaves just 32075 plus the "hired in" members still active.

The four red fronted from WoE and the nine from BASE are still active.
Of the remainder all 21 are finished. 18 have gone to Ensign already. 1 has got as far as Exeter. One is awaiting repair in Cornwall and one is awaiting collection for scrap in Cornwall.

vla50

Of the remainder all 21 are finished. 18 have gone to Ensign already. 1 has got as far as Exeter. One is awaiting repair in Cornwall and one is awaiting collection for scrap in Cornwall.
I assume 32075 is not one of those 21?

83G/84D

Established Member

30880 is still in Camborne, the other two appear to have departed recently.

teggers419

Thanks for the update and yes I agree it was crystal clear!!!

Goldfish62

Established Member
It certainly makes a massive difference to the overall presentation of the fleet now much of the temporary stuff has left.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So today we decided to sample the Lizard network by way of the L3 and L1. An enjoyable day out, but not without its bus problems.

The L3 left Truro 7 late due to heavy inbound traffic and arrived at Helston 30 late due to a wide load (boat) bringing Helston to a halt. No matter - it gave time for a snack at Sainsbury's and we caught the next L1, which was 37729 with its deafening cooling fan.

What a great route, though, the L1 is as an open topper. Having left Sainsbury's on time we got to the Lizard 5 late, so quite tight running time.

On return we had an Atlantic Coaster E400 (didn't take note of which one) which departed 8 late because the driver had problems starting it. It got swapped at Sainsbury's for a white BASE B7TL and we arrived at Coinagehall Street five min after the L3 would have departed (it wasn't tracking so couldn't be 100% sure). TfC route 36 came to the rescue, relieving us of £10.40 in the process (we were travelling on First Week Family & Friends tickets).

The Lizard network is a great concept, but the "guaranteed connection" aspect claimed in the leaflet doesn't work, and neither can it really without positive communication to drivers regarding how delayed connections might be. The L3 probably could have been held for five min without significant impact, but clearly the L1 in the morning couldn't have been held for the significantly delayed inward L3.