• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sorry correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they were staying until 2022 even after it was announced that the SPS MMCs would be returning in the summer?
They will be extras for schools and colleges until then I think when they are due cascades around that time. @On the Buses said a while back the white 9 ALXs will be absorbed into First ownership because of how long they’ve rented them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
The Cornish invasion of Taunton Deane southbound services at 1700 seen photographed here.

Attachments

• 341539EF-D987-48A5-8BD4-CDA84292C20B.jpeg
    341539EF-D987-48A5-8BD4-CDA84292C20B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 106

Accelerator59

I agree.

I think we can all be guilty of missing the odd post. However, it is incumbent on ourselves to try and check to ensure that the same questions aren't continually being asked. Lizard open toppers and Bristol ALXs are just the latest examples (along with "PaintshopWatch") to be asked numerous times by numerous people so just have a read back, please.

As for bustimes, it is a handy tool for getting about. I'm never that bothered about which bus is tracking (as long as something is coming) and it shouldn't be taken as gospel. Remember a couple of years ago and certain folks got a bit excited as a Bath bendi had allegedly operated an early morning Nailsea to Bristol run. As with other sources, like UK Buses, it's a handy guide but in terms of vehicles, it's right 90% of the time.
Another thing that’s easily done is replying to an earlier reply without reading the following replies on the next page, if you get my drift. Then after your reply is posted, you realise somebody’s already answered it and feel a bit silly afterwards.

MB162435

Established Member
If Bustimes is to be believed Solo 53258 is on the Falmouth Coaster today.
There is a good chance it actually is as I saw it working the service yesterday. The service was still well used as well despite being a single deck.

Last edited by a moderator:

83G/84D

Established Member
Seen at Stuart’s Volvo earlier today were 37172 and another green and white Gemini, thought to be 37001.

83G/84D

Established Member
I don't think it's already been mentioned that 37002 has had it's Lizard branding applied recently. It is on service 17 today as such.

Accelerator59

I don't think it's already been mentioned that 37002 has had it's Lizard branding applied recently. It is on service 17 today as such.
I saw a Lolyne on the A30 about half 1 this afternoon that looked like it had been freshly painted into base Lizard livery (apologies if already mentioned but haven’t seen it mentioned yet). Not sure which one though.

According to the tracker 32757 is back in service today on the L1 at the moment. At Helston it’ll then go onto the L3 to Truro. Also it looks as if 33036 will be coming back out to play but there’s still no sign of 33085 coming back to service.

That one has been on the 17s of late, along with 37008 being on the Tinner services.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
According to the tracker 32757 is back in service today on the L1 at the moment. At Helston it’ll then go onto the L3 to Truro. Also it looks as if 33036 will be coming back out to play but there’s still no sign of 33085 coming back to service.

That one has been on the 17s of late, along with 37008 being on the Tinner services.
And, of course, from the 17 to the 18 or 19 and vice versa.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was a bit naughty of the 17 I was behind at St Erth this afternoon in the St Ives direction, not to bother calling in at the station. There were no obstructions and looking over towards the station as we drew away from the traffic lights, four or five people were waiting at the stop. On my way back a little later, the same bus was waiting to rejoin the A30 on the way back to Penzance by the station. I've just checked the timetable, and if it was late St Ives bound it was 2 or 3 minutes at worst. On the return journey, though, it was already 7 or 8 minutes late!

83G/84D

Established Member

33036 was being moved around at Camborne a few days ago.

It was a bit naughty of the 17 I was behind at St Erth this afternoon in the St Ives direction, not to bother calling in at the station. There were no obstructions and looking over towards the station as we drew away from the traffic lights, four or five people were waiting at the stop. On my way back a little later, the same bus was waiting to rejoin the A30 on the way back to Penzance by the station. I've just checked the timetable, and if it was late St Ives bound it was 2 or 3 minutes at worst. On the return journey, though, it was already 7 or 8 minutes late!

I saw a T1 service in Camborne go past a stop where people were waiting last week. Admittedly none of them stuck their hands out to indicate they wished to board but they did not look happy.

Busgeek

33036 was being moved around at Camborne a few days ago.

I saw a T1 service in Camborne go past a stop where people were waiting last week. Admittedly none of them stuck their hands out to indicate they wished to board but they did not look happy.
I thought It was common knowledge to "flag" a bus down for it to stop. People nowadays are too busy on their phones.

carlberry

Established Member
Can I just ask are there plans for the Mousehole to possibly become an adventure? (if allowed to say)

To quote from 'on the buses' quote in June:
‘The Mousehole’ will become an adventure later in the year following a refresh and the introduction of additional fleet.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I thought It was common knowledge to "flag" a bus down for it to stop. People now-a-days are to busy on their phones
Depends which stop. You wouldn't normally expect intending passengers to flag down a bus at a busy town centre stop where buses would always be expected to stop, for example. The fact that no one flagged down the bus here suggests that they wouldn't normally do so.

volvob12

Depends which stop. You wouldn't normally expect intending passengers to flag down a bus at a busy town centre stop where buses would always be expected to stop, for example. The fact that no one flagged down the bus here suggests that they wouldn't normally do so.
Really? If you don’t in Bristol they’ll sail on by. There must be a different etiquette in Cornwall! (There’s legs for a spin off ‘hailing a bus’ thread for the trivia fans there!)

83G/84D

Established Member
Normally from my observations buses stop at bus stops if there are people waiting regardless of whether you indicate that you wish to catch that bus or not.
If I am at a stop and the only person waiting I usually give the driver a signal if I require to board or not. Stick arm out if yes, shake head if no!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Really? If you don’t in Bristol they’ll sail on by. There must be a different etiquette in Cornwall! (There’s legs for a spin off ‘hailing a bus’ thread for the trivia fans there!)
Funny then that Cornwall has got more in common with London than Bristol as regards bus stop etiquette!

Jamesbus80

Monday afternoon musings - just observations really:

33312, 33315, 33317 and 33318 are out from the green Enviro 400MMCs in service this morning, with 33313 also having seen service yesterday. These have been joined by Tinners 33451 and 33453 (as previously reported in this case), with 33454 having tracked last week. Blue U Lines Enviros tracking now has 33477 joining, although no others reporting.

Casual observations - whether these are consequential of the recent changes, or just coincidental - sees none of the closed-top Trident/Presidents out apart from two early trips this morning (appear to have been subbed off?) and only two of the white Volvo B7TLs (in this case 32123 and 32127), when they were quite prominent only a couple of weeks ago.

33312, 33315, 33317 and 33318 are out from the green Enviro 400MMCs in service this morning, with 33313 also having seen service yesterday. These have been joined by Tinners 33451 and 33453 (as previously reported in this case), with 33454 having tracked last week. Blue U Lines Enviros tracking now has 33477 joining, although no others reporting.

Casual observations - whether these are consequential of the recent changes, or just coincidental - sees none of the closed-top Trident/Presidents out apart from two early trips this morning (appear to have been subbed off?) and only two of the white Volvo B7TLs (in this case 32123 and 32127), when they were quite prominent only a couple of weeks ago.
I don’t think the remaining Presidents and ALXs will see much use now apart from schools/colleges mostly due to the majority of the MMCs now being back.

As has been mentioned several times before, Kernow and BoS (Buses of Somerset) are due a large number of cascades early next year which will see off the remaining Presidents and ALXs.

vla50

I believe the MMCs left to enter service are (so one's that haven't tracked)

Kernow - 33307-11, 14, 16, 19-21
The Tinner - 33450, 52, 55
U Lines - 33473-76, 78-79

I believe the MMCs left to enter service are (so one's that haven't tracked)

Kernow - 33307-11, 14, 16, 19-21
The Tinner - 33450, 52, 55
U Lines - 33473-76, 78-79
There can’t be much more MMCs left at SPS now given that most came back last week and the week before.