• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

5-6. 33308 had an incident with a deer and was awaiting repairs before returning. 5 to stay longer.
So 33308 will return once it’s been repaired I take. Do you know which 5 are staying longer and when those are finally due to return?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
There’s now around 24-25 MMCs back in Cornwall so that’s still more than enough I would’ve thought.
Is that so? Have you worked out the PVR requirements out of interest? We know that the nine BASE buses, the President Tridents and the four Bristol B7Ls are staying pending cascades next year, and that was on the basis of all 30 MMCs returning as well, was it not?

Is that so? Have you worked out the PVR requirements out of interest? We know that the nine BASE buses, the President Tridents and the four Bristol B7Ls are staying pending cascades next year, and that was on the basis of all 30 MMCs returning as well, was it not?
I thought all 30 returning was the original plan but something must’ve changed.

On the Buses

I have worked out the PVR and the mix of vehicle types we need. It’s my job to make sure we know what we need in fleet. We’ve only just last week been able to pin down final pvr with contracts and predicted volumes determined. There is no problem with the last five returning over the weeks following Sept 6th. We have enough double decks and more than enough fleet in general. You can take my word for it

Goldfish62

Established Member
I thought all 30 returning was the original plan but something must’ve changed.
Yes, that was my point and why I was querying it.

Presumably the five not returning were those meant for the 17/18/19, thus maintaining the tradition of only running old junk in the far west. ;)

I have worked out the PVR and the mix of vehicle types we need. It’s my job to make sure we know what we need in fleet. We’ve only just last week been able to pin down final pvr with contracts and predicted volumes determined. There is no problem with the last five returning over the weeks following Sept 6th. We have enough double decks and more than enough fleet in general. You can take my word for it
Oh I'm sure you do! It's just that as mentioned above all 30 were expected back and I'd wondered what had changed.

Presumably the five not returning were those meant for the 17/18/19, thus maintaining the tradition of only running old junk in the far west. ;)

Oh I'm sure you do! It's just that as mentioned above all 30 were expected back and I'd wondered what had changed.
I’ve found out elsewhere the 86/87 are being replaced by the newly extended U1/U1A so that will have the blue ones running with a new brand so in time I would’ve thought that some of the green ones will go to Penzance to operate the 17/18/19 and the others stay at Summercourt to operate the 27 & 91.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I’ve found out elsewhere the 86/87 are being replaced by the newly extended U1/U1A so that will have the blue ones running with a new brand so in time I would’ve thought that some of the green ones will go to Penzance to operate the 17/18/19 and the others stay at Summercourt to operate the 27 & 91.
On the former point that's presumably why the three 08 plate E400s are not now going into Lizard livery.

Jamesbus80

This was mentioned and discussed previously, post #16065, and before that #16033 among others.

On the former point that's presumably why the three 08 plate E400s are not now going into Lizard livery.
It’s now going to be 5 Geminis and the 2 non Lizard Lolynes although it’s been said 32757 is in base Lizard colours now. The other one would be 32761. Regarding what other Geminis it’ll be, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It’s now going to be 5 Geminis and the 2 non Lizard Lolynes although it’s been said 32757 is in base Lizard colours now. The other one would be 32761. Regarding what other Geminis it’ll be, we’ll just have to wait and see.
That's right. Two Geminis are already done and if my records are correct there are only five Geminis left to repaint, two of which are the short former London ones.

On the Buses

Just that the last ones are drifting back over the following weeks. It actually makes getting them into service plans easier.

That's right. Two Geminis are already done and if my records are correct there are only five Geminis left to repaint, two of which are the short former London ones.
Exactly so 3 of the 4

But as noted the first two are short ones and not for Lizard
Hopefully in time we’ll see more Lizard buses on their routes once more are painted up.

Exactly 37002 & 008 are already painted up for it.

On the Buses

Because at the moment you don’t seem to see many Lizard buses on the Lizard services which is why I’ve said that.
I’ve explained the need to utilise the whole fleet across the wider network until Sept, and the fact that five are still in or awaiting paint.

Lizard1324

I see Kernow are now recruiting trainee drivers. Do they still have training vehicles, or are they using normal service buses?

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
I see kernow are now recruiting trainee drivers. Do they still have a trainer vehicles, or are they using normal service buses.
Normal service buses are not equipped for training. Additional seat at front for trainer and additional mirrors required, plus possibly some other fittings ?

On the Buses

I see kernow are now recruiting trainee drivers. Do they still have a trainer vehicles, or are they using normal service buses.
Surplus B10BLE trainer from HDB and coach/es as required, with the 3 Somerset B7RLEs being converted in due course

It’s not connected to that at all.

No the 17/18/19 will be retrimmed and repainted Geminis.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
No the 17/18/19 will be retrimmed and repainted Geminis l.
A pity considering that the A17 did have new buses for a bit and the U4 has lost its MMCs. It leaves the Penzance area with a very old fleet apart from the T1, but then perhaps the routes are the poorest financial performers.

On the Buses

A pity considering that it did have new buses and the U4 has lost its MMCs. It leaves the Penzance area with a very old fleet apart from the T1.
I don’t consider them junk but each to their own. We have to have everything entering Truro Euro 6 so it’s an inevitability for now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don’t consider them junk but each to their own. We have to have everything entering Truro Euro 6 so it’s an inevitability for now.
They're certainly not bad at all, especially having been retrimmed, just elderly compared with much of the rest of the fleet.

I wasn't aware of the Truro Euro VI requirement, though.

Lizard1324

Does that mean MMC for Helston's L3, assuming Truro College routes don't count?

Surplus B10BLE trainer from HDB and coach/es as required, with the 3 Somerset B7RLEs being converted in due course,
Thanks for the information, I'm assuming these will then be sent to the required depots.

vla50

Surplus B10BLE trainer from HDB and coach/es as required, with the 3 Somerset B7RLEs being converted in due course

It’s not connected to that at all.

No the 17/18/19 will be retrimmed and repainted Geminis.
Is the B10BLE the one painted in the Lands End livery?
Also, just to confirm, are the 86/87 being merged into the U1?

On the Buses

Is the B10BLE the one painted in the Lands End livery?
Also, just to confirm, are the 86/87 being merged into the U1?
No and Yes

Does that mean mmc for Helstons L3, assuming truro college routes don't count.

Thanks for thr information, I'm assuming these will then be sent to the required depots.
No

Required depots? The training school is in Camborne.

Whiteway215

Established Member
According to The PSV Circle Dan Shears at Winkleigh had a large clear out of former First South West buses between March and June this year. Vehicles collected by Trevor Wigleys were bendis 11038/85/87 11117, Tridents 32802/8/19/74 33002/67/71/84/99 33127/44/53/55/65/68/70/73.
Also reported as disposed of were BMCs 68513/34/55/65/69/71 although which dealer took these is not stated, although it is likely to be Wigleys.

Edit: 33144 should not have been included in the list. It is still in service with First Kernow. My apologies for this error.