• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I see Kernow are now recruiting trainee drivers. Do they still have training vehicles, or are they using normal service buses?

Also, just to confirm, are the 86/87 being merged into the U1?
Guys.... These are points that have been stated (and in the case of training vehicles, more than once) already. There was quite some discussion on the new services including the U1 being extended to Newquay.

Keep up - @On the Buses is a busy guy and doesn't need to answer any questions, let alone ones he's answered before

On the Buses

So can buses that are not euro 6 still enter, as it'd a agreement rather then requirement.
Im afraid I’m not going into the detail of the ‘zone’ the commitment, the exceptions. I’ve given enough info to explain why MMCs are not allocated to the 17/18/19!!!

Jamesbus80

Guys.... These are points that have been stated (and in the case of training vehicles, more than once) already. There was quite some discussion on the new services including the U1 being extended to Newquay.

Keep up - @On the Buses is a busy guy and doesn't need to answer any questions, let alone ones he's answered before
Agreed - very much appreciate your support and information, @On the Buses

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Im afraid I’m not going into the detail of the ‘zone’ the commitment, the exceptions. I’ve given withinfo to explain why MMCs are not allocated to the 17/18/19!!!
I like the 17/18/19 being different, having grown up in a London populated by almost 7,000 virtually identical buses, of AEC and Leyland manufacture. Much though I loved them, you had to focus on what were mainly insignificant detail differences between batches e.g. roofboxes. There was a great argument for uniformity after the Second World War, which I completely understand and consider the right solution for the time, but we are in a totally different world now and the bus has both to justify its continued existence and to attract new customers, hopefully on a permanent basis.

83G/84D

Established Member
According to The PSV Circle Dan Shears at Winkleigh had a large clear out of former First South West buses between March and June this year. Vehicles collected by Trevor Wigleys were bendis 11038/85/87 11117, Tridents 32802/8/19/74 33002/67/71/84/99 33127/44/53/55/65/68/70/73.
Also reported as disposed of were BMCs 68513/34/55/65/69/71 although which dealer took these is not stated, although it is likely to be Wigleys.

I will have to check but I am not sure that all of these are former First South West. I don’t recall 11117 being one.

Volvodart

Established Member
11117 was acquired in July 2019 and disposal recorded May 2020, possibly ex National Express 6020?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
11117 was acquired in July 2019 and disposal recorded May 2020, possibly ex National Express 6020?
Former National Express West Midlands 6021 - credit to photographer Photo by Barney Staples.

GBM

Thank you TGW, very well said.
It is so good that someone in authority is taking the time to throw a few regular crumbs of fact for us to digest.
He doesn't have to do this and we should be grateful.
As a lurker and driver, I feel so annoyed that when OntheBusses comes on with a statement or two, they are then pounced on with 'so' 'if' 'but' 'does that mean' etc etc.
Assumptions run riot, and there is another page of questions; usually followed by even more random assumptions.
He comes on later to correct the incorrect assumptions, again. he certainly doesn't have to do that.

A massive thank you to OntheBusses for your time and effort. There is more than enough work for you in your day job without the extra effort you give us.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I would also wish to add my thanks to 'On the Buses' for all the information he kindly provides.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Likewise thanks to @OntheBuses. I often ask questions just to throw something out there on the thread and I am very pleasantly surprised when @OntheBuses provides a definitive answer.

Mousehole Solo 53709 is back on the road this morning on the M6. I think it's the first time it's made an appearance this year.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
I'd also agree that refurbished and repainted Gemini's are certainly not tat. Many parts of FirstBus get cascaded Gemini's that are neither refurbished or repainted, use them in front line service and have to make do. Some areas don't seem to know what an interior refurbishment is.

vla50

It is so good that someone in authority is taking the time to throw a few regular crumbs of fact for us to digest.
As a lurker and driver, I feel so annoyed that when OntheBusses comes on with a statement or two, they are then pounced on with 'so' 'if' 'but' 'does that mean' etc etc.
Assumptions run riot, and there is another page of questions; usually followed by even more random assumptions.
He comes on later to correct the incorrect assumptions, again. he certainly doesn't have to do that.

A massive thank you to OntheBusses for your time and effort. There is more than enough work for you in your day job without the extra effort you give us.
Well said. Massive thanks to OTB for all he's doing

Goldfish62

Established Member
I like the 17/18/19 being different, having grown up in a London populated by almost 7,000 virtually identical buses, of AEC and Leyland manufacture. Much though I loved them, you had to focus on what were mainly insignificant detail differences between batches e.g. roofboxes. There was a great argument for uniformity after the Second World War, which I completely understand and consider the right solution for the time, but we are in a totally different world now and the bus has both to justify its continued existence and to attract new customers, hopefully on a permanent basis.
The red operator provides today's uniformity! I'm meaning TfC not TfL. The latter has a much more varied fleet than at first appears.

Last edited:
I have to give it to @On the Buses as well for clearing stuff up for me in the past as well where I’ve slightly wrongly assumed stuff due to my problems. Obviously he didn’t have to do that but I’m very grateful to him as he does have other jobs to do as well.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The red operator provides today's uniformity! I'm meaning TfC not TfL. The latter has a much more varied fleet than at first appears.
I'm just an old git musing, so don't take me too seriously. I know the varied nature of the buses working under TfL's banner, as I'm a fifty odd year veteran of the London Omnibus & Traction Society, even though well over half that time I've been resident in Cornwall. Wrong thread, but non-red Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity bus of Plymouth Citybus on the 2 today.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes, all agreed, but we also have to be respectful of the fact that due to its very nature some contributors on the Forum have disabilities that mean it may look on the face of it that they're sometimes coming across as rude or hounding someone, but that is not their intention at all.

I think above all no one should take the Forum too seriously. It's here for our enjoyment and is a welcome part of the transport enthusiasts' resource, but no one is compelled to take part or to answer any particular questions. Personally, I never actually expect an answer to any of my questions. I just throw questions and points (sometimes tongue-in-cheek) out there and if someone decides to answer then great. And once again much gratitude to @OnTheBuses for being such an active contributor.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, all agreed, but we also have to be respectful of the fact that due to its very nature some contributors on the Forum have disabilities that mean it may look on the face of it that they're sometimes coming across as rude or hounding someone, but that is not their intention at all.

I think above all no one should take the Forum too seriously. It's here for our enjoyment and is a welcome part of the transport enthusiasts' resource, but no one is compelled to take part or to answer any particular questions. Personally, I never actually expect an answer to any of my questions. I just throw questions and points (sometimes tongue-in-cheek) out there and if someone decides to answer then great. And once again much gratitude to @OnTheBuses for being such an active contributor.
Thank you for that. I totally concur with what you have said.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I think we are respectful of the potential for people to have conditions that perhaps result in a quest of exactitude.

However, it’s the answers that aren’t taken on board that are problematic

richw

Veteran Member
It was good to see a reasonable load on the Exeter open topper today, with people getting on and off round the route.
I’m Up here on leisure today, one of my step daughters is a big Chelsea fan and I’ve bought her up to watch Exeter city vs Chelsea U23 in the EFL trophy. Took a round trip to hear the commentary on 33601 as a passenger. I Must say it’s very good quality and interesting to listen to.

Attachments

• 5D58830B-D63D-462A-BA60-7E422B7C01D3.jpeg
    5D58830B-D63D-462A-BA60-7E422B7C01D3.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 3094A4F4-9794-4EA2-8FDA-53DD11533AA7.jpeg
    3094A4F4-9794-4EA2-8FDA-53DD11533AA7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 62

vla50

It was good to see a reasonable load on the Exeter open topper today, with people getting on and off round the route.
I’m Up here on leisure today, one of my step daughters is a big Chelsea fan and I’ve bought her up to watch Exeter city vs Chelsea U23 in the EFL trophy. Took a round trip to hear the commentary on 33601 as a passenger. I Must say it’s very good quality and interesting to listen to.
Excellent news to hear regarding Discover Exeter, I guess the Discover Exeter on the front blind has really helped things and it will hopefully still be good loads on the Discover Exeter when the Gold Open Toppers return.

A very smart venture particularly as CitySightseeing haven't ventured into Exeter before.

sbrignall72

Does anyone know if 33311 has arrived back yet, if not any idea when it may be back?

swifty

Established Member
A very smart venture particularly as CitySightseeing haven't ventured into Exeter before.

They did 15 years or so back with a ‘Warship’ Bristol VR, I seem to recall it only last 6 months or so? Was it Red Bus Services that operated it?

vla50

They did 15 years or so back with a ‘Warship’ Bristol VR, I seem to recall it only last 6 months or so? Was it Red Bus Services that operated it?
Yes