• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Little bit miffed at the driver of 37045 around 2:25pm today at Marazion/Long Rock roundabout who cut me up there. Didn’t even attempt to slow down, just waltzed his way through. Beeped my horn at him, and he then stopped, presumably annoyed that I beeped at him.
That's a pig of a roundabout for sightlines though, speaking as someone who uses it almost every day of my life, sometimes on up to four occasions. Are you sure he didn't just stop at the bus stop, or am I getting the directions of travel wrong?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Marc Huws put out a tweet saying it was not for something expected, and I think a vaccination bus could maybe match that description, but I obviously don't work for Kernow so I wouldn't know.
It also says it’s a permanent vehicle, so now I’m not so sure

Lizard1324

Sorry - which park and ride are you suggesting?
It's more a suggestion.
But could be a spare for Truro, Eden, Falmouth or Padstow. There were talks of Penzance getting a park and ride so potentially that.
But Marc Huws did say it's not something you would think about, so the embassy is a good shout.

Last edited by a moderator:

swifty

Established Member
It's more a suggestion.
But could be a spare for Truro, Eden, Falmouth or Padstow. There was talks of penzance getting a park and ride so potentially that.
But Marc did say it's not something you would think about, so the embassy is a good shout.
A mobile ticket office/publicity unit for ABB would be my guess rather than service work.

cnjb8

Established Member
It's more a suggestion.
But could be a spare for Truro, Eden, Falmouth or Padstow. There was talks of penzance getting a park and ride so potentially that.
But Marc did say it's not something you would think about, so the embassy is a good shout.
Consider the fact it’s already a driver training vehicle and has been for many years at H&D. It can’t really be used for normal work unless it has the same conversion as the former ALX400 trainers

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
A mobile ticket office/publicity unit for ABB would be my guess rather than service work.
Absolutely. I'm not seeing a 21 year old vehicle being resuscitated for service work, not when there are newer B7RLEs potentially available across the group. Some 2008 e200s for Eden P&R are arriving and sending a load of elderly fleet away for disposal indicates their thinking!

However, some form of non PCV work such as a mobile office, welfare facility, or similar would make more sense. IIRC, Padstow had a former bus as its local base for many years (in the days before portacabins).

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Going back to the requests for Levante original registrations from a month or so back,
Y24TRU is BK15AKF
Attached photo taken this morning

Attachments

• 356F5C61-D249-4A32-803A-4E1EB9BD2316.jpeg
    356F5C61-D249-4A32-803A-4E1EB9BD2316.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
On the Buses stated the other day they’re going to start departing as from the 7th :(

Yes. Over the next week as we need to move fleet around to get them off. Departing pretty much daily from 7th.
I assume this will be the case too with the MMCs when they start returning from SPS in the next few weeks rather than all of them returning on the same day at once.

Last edited:

Accelerator59

That's a pig of a roundabout for sightlines though, speaking as someone who uses it almost every day of my life, sometimes on up to four occasions. Are you sure he didn't just stop at the bus stop, or am I getting the directions of travel wrong?
He was coming from the Long Rock road between the Marazion road and the dual carriageway and I was coming from the A394. And no, he was in motion at the time.

GBM

He was coming from the Long Rock road between the Marazion road and the dual carriageway and I was coming from the A394. And no, he was in motion at the time.
Bus drivers are only human and do err on occasions. We try not to upset other drivers, but it does happen on occasions.
If you were very inconvenienced, put in a complaint to First, and they will lift the CCTV to investigate.
From a bus drivers perspective many car drivers won't ever allow a bus in front of them at any cost; but it's all part of our training,

teggers419

I despair to be honest that people choose to put incidents like this on a bus enthusiasts forum. Whilst it appears to be upsetting this is not the place for a discussion about it and their website surely deals with these type of incidents??? The fact that 37045 was the vehicle involved is of no news worthy value?

Blackpudding

Going back to the requests for Levante original registrations from a month or so back,
Y24TRU is BK15AKF
Attached photo taken this morning

Thanks for that 'richw'. That means 23655 should be BK15AJY as pointed out by 'Whiteway215' in post #15285. If you get the opportunity can you confirm that one please?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
BUSES of Somerset has won a contract to continue running Taunton's two park and ride sites.

Somerset County Council has awarded the bus company a five-year deal to operate the service at Silk Mills, on the edge of Bishop's Hull, and Taunton Gateway, based at Ruishton, near the M5.

A County Hall spokesperson said passengers would be familiar with the buses and drivers at the Taunton-based First Bus operation as its team has been responsible for the service for a number of years.
The same timetables will continue for the two routes running between the town centre and two car park sites.
Cllr John Woodman, Somerset County Council’s cabinet member for highways and transport, said: “We’re really pleased to confirm this new contract which continues our great partnership with Buses of Somerset and underlines our long-term commitment to providing this vital service for commuters and shoppers.”
Commercial director for First South West Ltd, Marc Morgan Huws, said: “We’re delighted to be continuing our partnership with Somerset County Council to deliver park and ride for Taunton.
"We’re really keen to support Taunton and its recovery.”

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
First of all, it's good news for First South West (and anything that helps the coffers is a good thing for passengers on a wider basis) and also for the town; the P&R has had a charmed existence at times so good to have some stability.

It may be too much to hope for (and this is not criticism, implied or otherwise) but you'd hope that there could be some improvements to the service. The fleet (63 plate dealer spec Streetlites) is fine as it is and I suspect it will be retained though they will be quite tired by 2026.

Moreover, you'd like to see some improvement to either the timetable (Saturday service) or to the Gateway facilities which are rudimentary but appreciate that is down to Somerset CC and their budgetary constraints.

jammy36

First of all, it's good news for First South West (and anything that helps the coffers is a good thing for passengers on a wider basis) and also for the town; the P&R has had a charmed existence at times so good to have some stability.

It may be too much to hope for (and this is not criticism, implied or otherwise) but you'd hope that there could be some improvements to the service. The fleet (63 plate dealer spec Streetlites) is fine as it is and I suspect it will be retained though they will be quite tired by 2026.

Moreover, you'd like to see some improvement to either the timetable (Saturday service) or to the Gateway facilities which are rudimentary but appreciate that is down to Somerset CC and their budgetary constraints.
There were some follow on questions to the Twitter post by Marc Morgan Huws that @richw links to above and it looks like some of the issues you mention have been addressed in the new award. There was a question about whether the service would run on Saturdays, to which the reply was:
and also a query if there would be new buses to which the reply was:
During the life of the contract

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There were some follow on questions to the Twitter post by Marc Morgan Huws that @richw links to above and it looks like some of the issues you mention have been addressed in the new award. There was a question about whether the service would run on Saturdays, to a query if there would be new buses
I think I must have looked at the Buses of Somerset twitter rather than Mark Huws' tweet :oops: Didn't see those posts

Sounds like good news all round. The restoration of a Saturday service is a positive. I don't want to bore asking if they're brand new buses (rather than new to Taunton). However, it's been a while since BoS received new fleet; on obtaining the P&R from Webberbus, they did borrow some Scottish ones on delivery until some rentals were sourced but aside from that loan, it's 2009 since they last had a new vehicle.

It's also heartening to see Somerset CC investing in bus services. Appreciate that budgets are still tight but it would be good if some of the government money could be secured to improve bus services further (and arguably help BoS with bus priority as it is desperately needed in Taunton).