• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TechDan2002

They are indeed on their way from Glasgow and being dropped at a variety of locations in the South and South West where scrap vehicles are being lifted from.
Is it just 32583-32592 on their way or is it more than that now. I don’t recall seeing 32603 and 37184 on any list previously

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murray J

Is it just 32583-32592 on their way or is it more than that now. I don’t recall seeing 32603 and 37184 on any list previously
the firstbus enthusiasts facebook group suggests it's changed to 32585, 32598-32604 and 37184, although of course I don't want to contradict information from someone who works for FSW (although worth pointing out the guy who posted this information works for First Glasgow).
Caledonia to First South West

buscoaster

That’s what it’s operating now.
There are two Lizard Open Tops, allowing the L1 and L5 to operate open top when the weather allows.
So this will mean that you can travel from the north coast down to the Lizard all on open tops - sounds excellent. When I was on holiday in Cornwall last year, we were put off the Lizard open tops as we didn't want to sit on a closed top to Helston - not sure the children would put up with that! If we could now do it all the way on Open Tops, they'll love it.

stait.john

37184 was on the list all along, it should have moved a few years ago but gained a super sized off side advert holder that was meant for 37194 so had to stay in Glasgow!

It is now awaiting collection at Lawrence Hill.

First Kernow summer changes and timetable book pdf now available.

Here's a summary of what's changing:
17Most buses extend to serve Penzance town centre and West Cornwall Hospital, Monday to Saturday daytime. Buses will serve Chy-an-Gweal instead of St Theresa’s.
18Will be launched as ‘Tin Coaster’. The route has been amended so that Alexandra Road is served by most buses during the day, following requests from residents in this part of Penzance and Cornwall Council. Some buses will serve Heamoor and Penwith College.
19In Heamoor, buses will serve Boscathnoe Way. The 19 will be the main route to Heamoor, as most buses on the 18 will serve Alexandra Road.
24The first bus from Fowey Monday to Friday will run earlier at 0735 and serve Asda. On Saturday mornings, the first buses run an hour later.
27Most buses extend to the Eden Project. In Truro, buses continue to Truro College on weekdays. The new timetable runs hourly most of the day, with extra buses at peak times.
91In Truro, buses continue to Truro College on weekdays.
270Most buses will serve Bugle - please check timetable.
Atlantic CoasterAn improved hourly service between Newquay and Padstow. For buses between St Ives and Portreath / Portreath and Newquay – see new S1/S2.
Falmouth CoasterWill return to its normal timetable.
Land’s End CoasterThe summer timetable returns, with buses run hourly in each direction. In St Ives, buses will serve the bus station in both directions.
L1Minor change to times around Kuggar, Ruan Minor and Lizard.
L3Now calls at Penryn Campus, but no longer serve Truro rail station.
L5Buses run via Carbis Bay in both directions.
S1This new route starts from 29 May, replacing part of the Atlantic Coaster, running between Portreath, Perranporth and Newquay.
S2New route from 10 April, replacing part of the Atlantic Coaster, running between Portreath, Gwithian, Hayle Towans, and St Ives.
Tin CoasterNew ‘Tin Coaster’ replaces the current 18. The route has been amended so that Alexandra Road is served by most buses during the day, following requests from residents in this part of Penzance and Cornwall Council. Some buses will serve Heamoor and Penwith College.
Tinner T1 / T2The new timetable has minor changes in the early and late parts of the day, with some reduction in service at these quieter times.
U1 / U1AMinor changes to the timetable.
U2On university days, the U2 will serve Woodlane in Falmouth towards The Moor. The timetable has been amended throughout the day.
U3Is replaced by U2 for the summer term, while there are fewer people travelling. The U2 will also serve Woodlane on term days.
U4Most buses will serve Praa Sands.

buscoaster

Interesting. Seems a shame that it will no longer be possible to open top all the way from Padstow through to St Ives, or not sensibly during the day time at any rate. Perhaps it simply wasn't financially sustainable.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Interesting. Seems a shame that it will no longer be possible to open top all the way from Padstow through to St Ives, or not sensibly during the day time at any rate. Perhaps it simply wasn't financially sustainable.
My general observation of the Atlantic Coaster last year was that it was busy between Padstow and Newquay and fairly busy between St Ives and Hayle Towans, but quiet in between. I guess the lack of any through journey option for those that want to do it may be due to duty resources. Earlier or later buses to make the connections at Porthtowan may cost duties and compromise the viability of the routes.

I note that fares appear to be unchanged (eg minimum still £2.60). I was expecting the low fares scheme to formally launch in April as previously advised.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Doubt if many (if any) would be making that journey. I'm sure the timetables are more operationally robust and manageable too.

I wonder if the DayTrippers will be running again or not this year? Can’t see anything about it in the summer booklet.

CornwallBus

With the D5 becoming part of the 27 it does make me wonder. But Eden wasnt always the busy end. Passengers used it more in Newquay as connecting buses. Sometimes it helped supplement the 24 especially on a Sunday. So who knows is the honest answer! Watch and see!

farwest

Mucked up my connection at St. Austell from Mevagissey to Truro. It used to be good between the 24 and 27

vla50

With the D5 becoming part of the 27 it does make me wonder. But Eden wasnt always the busy end. Passengers used it more in Newquay as connecting buses. Sometimes it helped supplement the 24 especially on a Sunday. So who knows is the honest answer! Watch and see!
I suppose there’s also questions whether with the D4 it potentially being withdrawn because of it at least last season having run between Truro & Eden Project.

I do wonder whether we might see Daytrippers pop up in Somerset?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Pictured on another group 32585/98/600 at Sheffield Olive Grove on their way to South West.

fgwrich

Established Member
Well I would then wonder what would happen to the charabanc E200s, I would surely imagine they might be used on what was the S3?

They were certainly branded up for the Sunseeker from memory, so will no doubt find their way onto either the S1 or S2.

And the L1 and L5 only "when the sun is shining".

I hadn't noticed that somewhat curious box until you mentioned it!

I must say though, congratulations to both FSW and Best Impressions for another smartly designed timetable guide again. They really do have that spark that a lot of companies, including Stagecoach since the re-brand, are missing.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I must say though, congratulations to both FSW and Best Impressions for another smartly designed timetable guide again. They really do have that spark that a lot of companies, including Stagecoach since the re-brand, are missing.

And also a complete contrast to neighbouring First West of England which has abolished printed timetables.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They haven't got the potential competition to keep them on their toes. :)
Other than Stagecoach who have a depot in Bristol? ;)

I don't agree with the abolition of printed timetables, though neither do I adopt the fat bus bloke view on his blog that it can be largely blamed for losing passengers. In FSW land (especially Kernow), there is such a reliance on tourism that it makes much more sense to have them for unfamiliar potential passengers, and that goes for First Wessex as well.

That's not to say that FWoE doesn't have its own share of holidaymakers in Bath, Wells and Weston (and even Bristol) and moving paper-free is a false economy

richw

Veteran Member
Yesterday I took a youth football team to Wembley. Attached is a photo of 25001 at Wembley coach park. Of all the hundreds of coaches at the match I got parked next to Roselyns new VDL RO21LYN. I can’t imagine the odds for that.

Attachments

• A6DF44ED-BAE7-49E4-B27E-F2A6573A4E84.jpeg
    A6DF44ED-BAE7-49E4-B27E-F2A6573A4E84.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 81