• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

buscoaster

Thanks. Interesting to see that the market is clearly bigger on that side of Weymouth then. I would have thought Swanage could have made a worthwhile extension. I wondered if they may have come up with something interesting at the Bridport end too, but clearly not this time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jcrwey

All quite disappointing really after expecting a lot more, especially with Marc Huws involved. Nothing that different really, if anything a reduction compared to previous summers. Maybe more to come one day, but does seem to be a big uplift in open top deckers for relatively little change.

The X54 Wool onwards to Poole is rather pointless for most ending so early in the day. The last trip back from Poole is 239pm! Hourly X50/54 and hourly 52/53 is to be applauded though, as is the interworking of all the Jurassic services.

Ideas for other services in the future:
- Reintroduce/replicate the Jurassic Mule services between Charmouth, Lyme Regis and restore the link to Seaton (and potentially beyond). Jurassic Mule regularly seemed busy and a decent Lyme Regis to Seaton link is sorely missed. Could see it seeing good success.

- Park & Ride shorts or duplicates. Ideally the Council would subsidise a dedicated service for the peak summer season.

- Introduce a Seafront, Harbourside loop and up to the Nothe Fort / Nothe Gardens service with the little open air Mousehold Solo. To be fair though you probably couldn't rely on one bus and anything bigger probably wouldn't fit.

- Try again with the Warmwell Holiday Park service linking to Osmington holiday parks too.

richw

Veteran Member
Ideas for other services in the future:
- Reintroduce/replicate the Jurassic Mule services between Charmouth, Lyme Regis and restore the link to Seaton (and potentially beyond). Jurassic Mule regularly seemed busy and a decent Lyme Regis to Seaton link is sorely missed. Could see it seeing good success.
The last year of Jurassic Mule we turned a profit despite paying out for accommodation for majority of drivers who were local. That wouldn’t be necessary for First.

It could integrate with the Lyme Regis Park and Ride (assume it’s still operating) to maximise efficiency and takings. Pvr of 2 to operate hourly. Newlands holiday park at Charmouth was a huge source of income for the Mule open tops

Goldfish62

Established Member

LAIRA

Went to Bridgwater to view SPS and then caught the 21 to Taunton. Who on earth thought those rock hard seats on the ex Arrive London buses were suitable for an interurban route. The worst seats I have ever ridden on.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Went to Bridgwater to view SPS and then caught the 21 to Taunton. Who on earth thought those rock hard seats on the ex Arrive London buses were suitable for an interurban route. The worst seats I have ever ridden on.
Covering them with e-leather has made them even worse than when they had moquette.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Covering them with e-leather has made them even worse than when they had moquette.
I haven't been on those Somerset vehicles but have been on similar Essex examples. They weren't too bad in terms of padding (IMHO) but that's with them being just done and that won't last long. It's almost a return to the "comfort" of the old B7Ls! To be honest, the worst ones I've experienced were B10BLEs 62193/4 which I think did a spell in Somerset after being in Bath. No padding at all.

Dare I suggest that Taunton may have been a better depot for them and put them on the 22 with its shorter journey durations? Mind you, every chance they'd have gone on the 30

henairs

I haven't been on those Somerset vehicles but have been on similar Essex examples. They weren't too bad in terms of padding (IMHO) but that's with them being just done and that won't last long. It's almost a return to the "comfort" of the old B7Ls! To be honest, the worst ones I've experienced were B10BLEs 62193/4 which I think did a spell in Somerset after being in Bath. No padding at all.

Dare I suggest that Taunton may have been a better depot for them and put them on the 22 with its shorter journey durations? Mind you, every chance they'd have gone on the 30
I remember when Taunton had 60895/60910 to 60916 when they were used on numerous routes but mainly the 28. Myself and other bus friends thought it was sensible to carry a woopie cushion for comfort in our bags.
As for 62193/194, sadism on ones buttocks of the highest order. Best to stand on those two.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I remember when Taunton had 60895/60910 to 60916 when they were used on numerous routes but mainly the 28. Myself and other bus friends thought it was sensible to carry a woopie cushion for comfort in our bags.
As for 62193/194, sadism on ones buttocks of the highest order. Best to stand on those two.
I remember 66350-6 that were based at Bridgwater for the 21/21A and they were really bad. However, I remember getting 62193 one day into Bath (I think from Kingswood) and that was the worst.

IIRC, the B6s that Buses of Somerset had (ex Plymouth and ex Bath) were also fairly awful. Remember having those on both the 30 and the 54!

henairs

I remember 66350-6 that were based at Bridgwater for the 21/21A and they were really bad. However, I remember getting 62193 one day into Bath (I think from Kingswood) and that was the worst.

IIRC, the B6s that Buses of Somerset had (ex Plymouth and ex Bath) were also fairly awful. Remember having those on both the 30 and the 54!
There was a period from roughly V plate vehicles through to 52/03 plates where seating on buses was very thin on First vehicles.
Thankfully its improved since those days

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've been told via an inside source that the new Mousehole Sprinters are due this week.

Hopefully it won't be long before they're in service as just one or two Solos are now available daily.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There was a period from roughly V plate vehicles through to 52/03 plates where seating on buses was very thin on First vehicles.
Thankfully its improved since those days
Indeed. that period was awful. Checking my notes from 2014, I had a day out where I travelled on a B6 (40594) from Somerton to Taunton, 40586 from Taunton to Ilminster, 40582 from Taunton to Bridgwater Road (on the 4), Trident 32866 from there to Bridgwater, and Dart 42738 from Bridgwater to Glastonbury - lord knows how I survived that day!

fgwrich

Established Member
Indeed. that period was awful. Checking my notes from 2014, I had a day out where I travelled on a B6 (40594) from Somerton to Taunton, 40586 from Taunton to Ilminster, 40582 from Taunton to Bridgwater Road (on the 4), Trident 32866 from there to Bridgwater, and Dart 42738 from Bridgwater to Glastonbury - lord knows how I survived that day!
You had a good Chiropractor? :lol:

henairs

You must have felt like Charles and Camilla after their ride in that Gold coach ! Oh well bottoms up !

Goldfish62

Established Member
The one remaining ELC Trident 32762 is apparently getting a fresh MOT this month. Additionally elderly Falmouth Coaster 32179 has re-entered service. Both illustrative of the ongoing engineering problems and vehicle shortages in Cornwall.

The new Sprinters seemingly didn't arrive as expected last week.

CornwallBus

The usual story, think there is enough buses on paper, so scrap the ones which are oldest but still work and hope the newer cascaded buses keep running..... they dont like Cornish hills!

MarkC

Dartmoor Explorer listed on VOSA today start point Plymouth Royal Parade.. assume this is an error?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Dartmoor Explorer listed on VOSA today start point Plymouth Royal Parade.. assume this is an error?
Putting the completely wrong starting point on a registration form would be a pretty fundamental error!

richw

Veteran Member
Why would it be an error? Makes more sense to start from a busy city than a remote village albeit connecting to the train. Gunnislake/ Tavistock worked on college days as it was tight to get the buses from Stoke climsland back to Plymouth in time. As it’s school vacation only that issue is removed

MarkC

Why would it be an error? Makes more sense to start from a busy city than a remote village albeit connecting to the train. Gunnislake/ Tavistock worked on college days as it was tight to get the buses from Stoke climsland back to Plymouth in time. As it’s school vacation only that issue is removed
To be honest i think it makes much more sense to run it from Plymouth so long as the new timetable gives us more time on the Moor compared to last time! Never really understood why First withdrew from Plymouth and started it at Gunnislake instead tbh

Goldfish62

Established Member
To be honest i think it makes much more sense to run it from Plymouth so long as the new timetable gives us more time on the Moor compared to last time! Never really understood why First withdrew from Plymouth and started it at Gunnislake instead tbh
The registration states it runs every three hours so there should be a great deal more flexibility.

Andyh82

Established Member
The post you are replying to gives the exact reason why