• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Whiteway215

Established Member
I may be wrong, but i think that the bus which operates OS3 and OS4 (same vehicle) is the only one which doesn't have a duty which also includes work within the CAZ. Service 19 at the Bath end is within the CAZ, as is anything terminating in the city centre. I'd be amazed if Bath keep anything which isn't compliant as the penalties for a cock-up rather outweigh the potential savings.
£100 per day charge for non compliant buses!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Maybe these last 5 will be switched over the weekend, before Bath’s LEZ goes live on Monday

However Oldfield school is long way outside LEZ and routes 19, OS1-5 go nowhere near the LEZ, and Weston Island depot is also outside LEZ.

So more a risk that will someone accidentally use them on wrong route and enter the LEZ if the stay
I'm sure somebody said that there was a plan to swap the remaining none compliant stuff with vehicles from Bristol over the weekend then release them back once the Aberdeen stuff arrives.

Tommy Walters

I may be wrong, but i think that the bus which operates OS3 and OS4 (same vehicle) is the only one which doesn't have a duty which also includes work within the CAZ. Service 19 at the Bath end is within the CAZ, as is anything terminating in the city centre. I'd be amazed if Bath keep anything which isn't compliant as the penalties for a cock-up rather outweigh the potential savings.

Yes, I'd noticed this as well. Seems like the whole allocation for school services in Bath has changed since before lockdown 3.0. From what I can make out, these are the changes:

OS1/2 : Still worked in the same way - that is by the vehicle that does the two 37 trips a day (stayed the same in lockdown). Usually uses one of the "spare" Scanias (36822/4, plus 815 before it went to the IOW) due to the bridge at Bitton.

OS3/4 : Now has a dedicated vehicle that goes back to the depot between runs. As people have noticed this is usually one of 32543/5. Previously the morning bus went on to the 19 daytime allocation, while the afternoon bus was the same vehicle that did the morning OS5 runs. Both often used the two spare Bath Uni MMCs off the U1, but sometimes a B7/B9 could come out.

OS5 : Morning now uses a vehicle from the U5 allocation (the one that leaves the centre at xx:30 mins past the hour), so almost exclusively a blue Streetdeck. Afternoon uses a fresh bus out the depot, which also works the afternoon 20s run (possibly this is also exempt from the CAZ?). Previously the OS5 used a dedicated school vehicle in the morning, while the afternoon run (along with the afternoon 20s) used one of the vehicles from the 171/2 cycle. This was often the duty done by 32291 before it left Bath.

3s : Now uses the same U5 Streetdeck as the OS5. Previously used a vehicle from the U1 allocation, which entered U1 service immediately after by doing a second lap round Oldfield Park. Probably confused any waiting students in the mornings!

20s : Morning uses a vehicle between trips on the 18/19 (usually a 12 plate B9), afternoon uses the same vehicle as the OS5 (this week either a B7 or Scania). Previously used another vehicle off the U1 allocation in the mornings, and then the shared OS5/171/172 bus in the afternoons.

So yes, in theory 1 (or maybe 2) B7s could still be used, but whether this actually happens remains to be seen!

On another note on allocations, I've noted a lot of buses swap between the 18/19/171/172/D1X during the day at the minute. I assume this may be to keep certain drivers on the same vehicle for multiple parts of their duty, but if anyone else knows why and can enlighten me, then feel free!

Snow1964

Established Member
It is fairly hard to get a bus from one side of Bath to the other without entering the low emission zone. And for some like Warminster road going to have to go very long way round to avoid it

Whiteway215

Established Member
It's the first day of Bath's Clean Air Zone and I see according to the bus tracker that First Bath's non compliant 32543 and 32545 haven't been let out today, although they were in use until last Friday.
Of course they may have already been transferred away.

swifty

Established Member
It's the first day of Bath's Clean Air Zone and I see according to the bus tracker that First Bath's non compliant 32543 and 32545 haven't been let out today, although they were in use until last Friday.
Of course they may have already been transferred away.
The last B7s (inc 360) moved to Bristol over the weekend.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I understand that some FWoE vehicles had a trip across the Severn yesterday. 39482, 39484 39485 and 39487 were the Cardiff-Ebbw Vale RRS and 47552 was the Cardiff-Penarth RRS.

Callum15632

It says there is 32073 KP51 VZZ on the 174 and it's going into Bath, but that bus is not compliant for the clean air zone. Is this a different bus with 32073's ticket machine?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It says there is 32073 KP51 VZZ on the 174 and it's going into bath but that bus is not Compliant for the clean air zone is this a different bus with 32073s ticket machine
If you see things like this, it's almost 100% certain that it's a ticket machine swap.

Put it another way.... 32073 hasn't tracked for two months and has now reappeared a day after the Bath CAZ has been implemented. I think we can dismiss this one.

sk688

This is terrible , and its been a rising pattern of attacks, given the one in Bristol City Centre a few months back. Imo whats shocking is that it's 13/14 year olds doing it

Also on an unrelated note , saw one of the Wessex Water vehicles in service yesterday down Pulteney Street, is that not a CAZ Breach ?

Whiteway215

Established Member

This is terrible , and its been a rising pattern of attacks, given the one in Bristol City Centre a few months back. Imo whats shocking is that it's 13/14 year olds doing it

Also on an unrelated note , saw one of the Wessex Water vehicles in service yesterday down Pulteney Street, is that not a CAZ Breach ?
According to the Bath & North East Somerset Council website showing the map of the CAZ area, Pulteney St is most definitely within the CAZ area.

Whiteway215

Established Member
39005 was seen at Press Engineering along with 37355 and 32007 on 5 March. I understand 39005 is now in Badger rather than Coaster colours. I hope 32007 is also repainted into something decent following its donation to a council. 37355 was carrying an advert for Bristol Care Homes.

freetoview33

Established Member
39005 was seen at Press Engineering along with 37355 and 32007 on 5 March. I understand 39005 is now in Badger rather than Coaster colours. I hope 32007 is also repainted into something decent following its donation to a council. 37355 was carrying an advert for Bristol Care Homes.
Looks like all of Weston is going to Badgerline. There will still be apparently 1 open topper for the 1.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Looks like all of Weston is going to Badgerline. There will still be apparently 1 open topper for the 1.
There was 2 open tops in Weston the other night.

The 7 usually has at least 1 Urban Gemini or E400 on it. Perhaps 39005 will be used on the 7 so an Urban Gemini can cover the 1 or Excel work rather than using a Streetlite.

freetoview33

Established Member
There was 2 open tops in Weston the other night.

The 7 usually has at least 1 Urban Gemini or E400 on it. Perhaps 39005 will be used on the 7 so an Urban Gemini can cover the 1 or Excel work rather than using a Streetlite.
Depends what is planned on being used on these new Weston services that apparently First are taking on. Maybe the darts hanging around.

Snow1964

Established Member

Is 39005 the same 2008 bus that started life in London as a euroIV Wrightbus Gemini 2 hybrid

D2007wsm

Established Member
Depends what is planned on being used on these new Weston services that apparently First are taking on. Maybe the darts hanging around.
Possibly Darts or Streetlites, but I would imagine it would be very tight getting one of these round South Road on the 4. It was tight getting the Merc minibuses round there. A decker would definitely not be possible due to a low ornamental bridge on The Shrubbary.

The majority of the route on the 83 to Bleadon may be possible with Darts or Streetlites as deckers have been sent down Bleadon Hill in the past when the railway bridge on the A370 was shut, and they are about the same length.

These services would be a good home for any short E200s or older Solos which are hanging about. They would be small enough plus the loadings probably wouldn’t warrant anything bigger.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Possibly Darts or Streetlites, but I would imagine it would be very tight getting one of these round South Road on the 4. It was tight getting the Merc minibuses round there. A decker would definitely not be possible due to a low ornamental bridge on The Shrubbary.

The majority of the route on the 83 to Bleadon may be possible with Darts or Streetlites as deckers have been sent down Bleadon Hill in the past when the railway bridge on the A370 was shut, and they are about the same length.

These services would be a good home for any short E200s or older Solos which are hanging about. They would be small enough plus the loadings probably wouldn’t warrant anything bigger.

Hmmm - no older Solos left but short e200s....

Ps good to see you back

Jj79

Hi everyone, sorry if I have missed a post but are there service changes / new routes coming to Weston-super-Mare? Also does anyone know if the X1x will return after lockdown. I liked the x1x knowing after worle it was non stop to hotwells and the Portway bus lane felt like you just flew into Bristol. Finally will we ever get newer buses in weston Town or for the excel services?

carlberry

Established Member
Hi everyone, sorry if I have missed a post but are there service changes / new routes coming to Weston-super-Mare? Also does anyone know if the X1x will return after lockdown. I liked the x1x knowing after worle it was non stop to hotwells and the Portway bus lane felt like you just flew into Bristol. Finally will we ever get newer buses in weston Town or for the excel services?
It was mentioned on the West Country Independents thread that First had agreed to take on a couple of services in Weston that were part of the local council's latest tender requests. The X1X would be dependant on what support the government is giving to bus services, longer term I suspect commuter services are going to be the hardest hit by the after effects. The Streetlites replacing the Darts has given newer buses on the town services recently, the pandemic is likely to have impacted most replacement cycles. Theres the possibility of transfers from low emission zones however that can only be for the town services and they wont be much newer than what's there already so perhaps unlikely.

Is 39005 still hybrid? I would assume not if they're taking the trouble to repaint it.

Is 39005 the same 2008 bus that started life in London as a euroIV Wrightbus Gemini 2 hybrid
LK58ECZ which came from York but does suggest it originated in London.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It was mentioned on the West Country Independents thread that First had agreed to take on a couple of services in Weston that were part of the local council's latest tender requests. The X1X would be dependant on what support the government is giving to bus services, longer term I suspect commuter services are going to be the hardest hit by the after effects. The Streetlites replacing the Darts has given newer buses on the town services recently, the pandemic is likely to have impacted most replacement cycles. Theres the possibility of transfers from low emission zones however that can only be for the town services and they wont be much newer than what's there already so perhaps unlikely.

Is 39005 still hybrid? I would assume not if they're taking the trouble to repaint it.

LK58ECZ which came from York but does suggest it originated in London.

You're right that the impact of Covid on things like the X1X etc is still to be determined, and that Covid has had and will have a pronounced effect on new vehicle orders and subsequent replacement plans and cascades.

It would seem that the Darts in Weston are due, in the main, for replacement but one or two that might have been expected to go may be reprieved. @D2007wsm gave an excellent summary of the tendered routes and that they are too tight for Darts/Streetlites so whether a short e200 or two might appear (e.g. ex Bath?), we don't know. Certainly, the oldest e400s on Excel are coming up to 15 years old. Great machines, comfortable seating etc but they are really showing their age and you do wonder what the plan might be. I had wondered if the e400mmc on the 1/2 or 48/49 corridors might be contenders for cascade in time but if there is a plan, it isn't publicly known.

39005 was indeed new to First London as one of the early hybrids. 39001-5 were sent to York for standard duties. However, Bath required an additional hybrid decker for Park and Ride so it was swapped with 37359. It has been quite sporadic in its appearances but I doubted if it would be converted to diesel or else it would probably still be in Bath.

Snow1964

Established Member
39005 was indeed new to First London as one of the early hybrids. 39001-5 were sent to York for standard duties. However, Bath required an additional hybrid decker for Park and Ride so it was swapped with 37359. It has been quite sporadic in its appearances but I doubted if it would be converted to diesel or else it would probably still be in Bath.

Is there a requirement for Park and Ride buses to be hybrid, or was that another fad that has since died?

Last edited by a moderator:

carlberry

Established Member
Certainly, the oldest e400s on Excel are coming up to 15 years old. Great machines, comfortable seating etc but they are really showing their age and you do wonder what the plan might be. I had wondered if the e400mmc on the 1/2 or 48/49 corridors might be contenders for cascade in time but if there is a plan, it isn't publicly known.
Is all of the Excel fleet Euro 6 (or modifiable)? If not the Bristol low emission zone is likely to force an upgrade.