• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Jj79

According a driver on a Facebook group (I can find the link), they are to receive 28 streetdecks to replace the excel E400s, and are in the process of receiving B9s from Bristol to replace their Badgerline B7s, and I’m guessing these will be painted into Badgerline for use on the 1/7/20.
Thank you. Are the street deck cascades or new deliveries? Any idea what will happen to the Excel buses?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
Good to hear Weston will become a fellet of much newer vehicles. I don't know the full pvr (kind of lost track with many of the excel routes going back and forth to MH), but 28 new streetdecks does suggest most if not all e400s will disappear. Either way this news is encouraging.

RELL6L

Saw a purple Citylines 3/4 branded B9TL on suspended tow heading west out of London on the M40 yesterday. Could have been heading for the M4 westbound due to the M4 weekend closure so perhaps headed for Bristol. Couldn’t see the number- perhaps 37617 or 37618?

Callum15632

32333 and 32336 have been picked up from Weston Super Mare Depot to be transferred to Eastern Counties (Norwich) to replace Norwich Tridents 33126 and 33248 which both have suffered engine failures. 32357 is due to follow.

Last edited:

vla50

32333 and 32336 have been picked up from Weston Super Mare Depot to be transferred to Eastern Counties (Norwich) to replace Norwich Tridents 33126 and 33248 which both have suffered engine failures. 32357 is due to follow.
What is 32357 going to replace?

D2007wsm

Established Member
I heard from a driver, the B9s recently sent to Weston are only staying temporarily and are then heading to Bath.

Apparently they are staying until the new buses are delivered. So some new buses for Badgerline and some for Excel or all Excel with E400s for Badgerline? Either way some E400s will need to be returned.

Also, the navy blue Scania is still parked in Weston matked ‘Do Not Use’ as well as a blue E400 and some red fronted Streetlites.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Conversion to open top possibly ?
Just thinking it would be odd for that to be converted in that it's a short one. You'd think a longer one with a higher top deck capacity would be preferred?
I heard from a driver, the B9s recently sent to Weston are only staying temporarily and are then heading to Bath.

Apparently they are staying until the new buses are delivered. So some new buses for Badgerline and some for Excel or all Excel with E400s for Badgerline? Either way some E400s will need to be returned.

Also, the navy blue Scania is still parked in Weston matked ‘Do Not Use’ as well as a blue E400 and some red fronted Streetlites.
A wise man has informed me that a pair of ex Cymru Streetlites were due in order to replace the last two Darts

If the B9s are temporary and are due to head to Bath, I can't imagine what they'd replace

vla50

Has 32289 now moved to Cymru?

Perhaps some E400s will move to the Badgerline and the rest of the E400s get scattered across the UK? There are some parts of the country with elderly ALXs like Cymru, some in Great Yarmouth, Halifax, the Potteries.

Last edited:

aquae39

If the B9s are temporary and are due to head to Bath, I can't imagine what they'd replace
I think Bath is running out of vehicles during university semester time. The current Bath uni routes 22, U1 and U2 are not as frequent as pre-covid and I saw tonnes of students at Brougham Hayes waiting for the U2 in the previous weeks. This would have been thrown back to the withdrawal of the bendies B7LA last year, at least 10 bendies have been for withdrawal, so I think the B9s are to replace them and make the uni routes back to normal frequencies.

Buses in Bath

I think Bath is running out of vehicles during university semester time. The current Bath uni routes 22, U1 and U2 are not as frequent as pre-covid and I saw tonnes of students at Brougham Hayes waiting for the U2 in the previous weeks. This would have been thrown back to the withdrawal of the bendies B7LA last year, at least 10 bendies have been for withdrawal, so I think the B9s are to replace them and make the uni routes back to normal frequencies.
Even if they had more buses it wouldn't help as they have no drivers

cnjb8

Established Member
I don't know if I'd understand that move because they are only one year younger than what it would be replacing.
Yes, but getting rid of an obsolete livery by replacing has some merit IMO

It might become open top and be the 4tj open top as Eastern Counties had a DAF DB250 Plaxton President bodied Open Top during last summer.
Which they could maybe do again this summer

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I don't know if I'd understand that move because they are only one year younger than what it would be replacing.
It might be because the Tridents are experiencing major unit failures and First probably don't want to spend big sums on repairing life expired fleet when they can draft in a couple of spare deckers, even if it is a trek from West to East.

Whiteway215

Established Member
It's been alive for ages. It was off for a while but came back in early October.
I thought towards the end of October there was a photo of it with destination equipment removed and standing in the scrap lineup at Weston depot