• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Callum15632

Does anyone know where the Cityred Streetlites that were on the 5 are heading to next, as the 5 is being cut from the 9th October? Also, Geminis are being used on the 5 today in place of Streetlites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cesarcollie

I think Alan still has a stack of Wayfarer 3s somewhere. And i might be able to coax a Saver back in to life. Could be interesting to see where people try to put their debit cards on them...

sadly none of those work for BODS - so not much good! Shame!

I see the X5/X6/X7 is becoming operated fully by Weston depot from Sunday. Does anyone know what depot will be operating the X9?
Also are any more routes becoming single decker operated?

Martin2013

I saw 47553 on the 2a about an hour ago.

Personally I think its a real step backwards for the 36 and 72 to go single deck after both had went double deck a few years ago. Is there a reason as to why 72 is going single deck again? Is it changing stops at Temple Meads or something?

Am really hoping the new 47 will not be streetlite operated

Tom Clayton

I saw 47553 on the 2a about an hour ago.

Personally I think its a real step backwards for the 36 and 72 to go single deck after both had went double deck a few years ago. Is there a reason as to why 72 is going single deck again? Is it changing stops at Temple Meads or something?

Am really hoping the new 47 will not be streetlite operated
I read at Lawrence hill depot that the 47 will be interworked with the 48s. Something alone the lines of every hour a 48 will change to a 47. So it should be a 48/49 branded bus

Callum15632

I read at Lawrence hill depot that the 47 will be interworked with the 48s. Something alone the lines of every hour a 48 will change to a 47. So it should be a 48/49 branded bus
It won't always be a 48/49 branded bus as I saw 33951 on 48As in Eastville and 33953 on 49s today in the city centre whilst waiting for the big lemon bus.

Westonian

I see the X5/X6/X7 is becoming operated fully by Weston depot from Sunday. Does anyone know what depot will be operating the X9?
Also are any more routes becoming single decker operated?
All the North Somerset X services will be operated by Weston from Sunday. At present some journies on X1, X4, X6, X7 and X9 are run by Marlborough Street.

Buses in Bath

A bit strange considering the 47 and 48 terminate and depart from completely different stops in the centre

stait.john

47 will be a Marlbrough Street based route and will use B9s, gas buses being considered too tight for the turn in and out of Oldbury Court at The Straits.

36 will be PVR of 2 Streetlites apparently, but as has been said B9s are being used on the 5 this week due to a shortage of Streetlites. I believe some of the CityRed ones are moving on but where to I do not know.

Snow1964

Established Member
A temporary bus stop (a laminated bit of A4 paper, cable clipped to an existing pole) has appeared in Junction Road, Bradford on Avon ahead of Mondays closure (for 8 months) of St Margaret’s rail bridge. Not sure why such a flimsy sign is being used for 8 months

So does appear the long single decks used on Discover service D1 are going to have to attempt the very sharp left handed turn from Frome Road to Junction Road. A mini roundabout where traffic often queues so going into other side of road might not be possible.

Cue a few dented buses from next week.

stait.john

Should swap some B7RLEs up to Bristol for Streetlites, 35 and 72 at least could take B7RLEs

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
A temporary bus stop (a laminated bit of A4 paper, cable clipped to an existing pole) has appeared in Junction Road, Bradford on Avon ahead of Mondays closure (for 8 months) of St Margaret’s rail bridge. Not sure why such a flimsy sign is being used for 8 months

So does appear the long single decks used on Discover service D1 are going to have to attempt the very sharp left handed turn from Frome Road to Junction Road. A mini roundabout where traffic often queues so going into other side of road might not be possible.

Cue a few dented buses from next week.
Wiltshire Council may not have any temporary bus stop flags in which case they could've asked West Yorkshire Combined Authority to borrow some as the temoporary stop flags are known to make an appearence outside of West Yorkshire, that is if West of England Combined Authority didn't have any spares. You could suggest this to Wiltshire Council and explain that a laminated card cable tied to a pole won't be enough, especially on Friday and Saturday nights in which drunks may damage it leading to drivers not being aware that its suppose to be a temporary stop.

Has Wiltshire put out no parking cones to give the Junction Road area a bit of a clearway and to prevent parking? Less chance of seeing damaged and dented buses.

Has Wiltshire put out no parking cones to give the Junction Road area a bit of a clearway and to prevent parking? Less chance of seeing damaged and dented buses.

It's not really a problem of parked cars, its the pace of the cars travelling in the oncoming direction around basically a blind bend.

The bus is basically going to have to wait until the queuing traffic clears and someone has the courtesy to give way.

An oncoming bus will be turning towards the camera from the right on this Streetview image : https://goo.gl/maps/5d9SeV5oNDvky9E76

Snow1964

Established Member
It's not really a problem of parked cars, its the pace of the cars travelling in the oncoming direction around basically a blind bend.

The bus is basically going to have to wait until the queuing traffic clears and someone has the courtesy to give way.

An oncoming bus will be turning towards the camera from the right on this Streetview image : https://goo.gl/maps/5d9SeV5oNDvky9E76

Very good description

The diverted buses will approach from the road on the left of this view and turn left (and turn is more like 120 degree change of direction). As you will see the lanes are quite narrow here, and if it is screwed up might hit a pole, or even a stone wall, or accidentally drive over the lightweight telecoms manhole cover on pavement. Streetview here

Callum15632

Does anyone know which streetlites have transferred to Hengrove for the 72 or is it just existing streetlites they have that are operating it?

Class 33

Established Member
Just a short one from me as I'm out and on my phone. The Y6 is supposed to stop at the Haymarket. I just witnessed a bloke there putting his hand out for a Y6 but the driver didn't stop!! This driver needs educating about this service! I wouldn't be surprised if other drivers of the Y6 and 17 don't stop there too!!

Class 33

Established Member
Just a short one from me as I'm out and on my phone. The Y6 is supposed to stop at the Haymarket. I just witnessed a bloke there putting his hand out for a Y6 but the driver didn't stop!! This driver needs educating about this service! I wouldn't be surprised if other drivers of the Y6 and 17 don't stop there too!!

Expanding on this posting now that I'm on my desk top PC and not on a shaky bus using my smartphone and fiddly and more time consuming to type out things!

That bloke this morning looked well cheesed off this morning after that Y6 didn't stop at the Haymarket! He put his hand out, then realised it look like the bus wasn't going to stop, and he was frantically trying to get the driver to stop. But no, the driver just sailed on by even though that is an official stop for this revised extended Y6(and the 17). He had done his research that he could get the Y6 from the Haymarket to wherever it was he trying to get to. His bad luck that that particular driver of that Y6 this morning thought he doesn't have to stop at the Haymarket to pick up passengers if they put their hands out!! It's not very good is it. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if other drivers of the Y6 & 17 don't bother stopping at the Haymarket. So be prepared for that if you're planning on getting any of those services from that stop! I think I might contact First about it to brief all the drivers of these services that they should stop at The Haymarket if people put their hands out, as that is an official listed stop for these services!

It's a pet hate of mine, drivers not stopping at bus stops when they should do. I've had a number of instances of this happening over the years, which were very annoying. There was even one incident back in November 2013 when I was on a 75 which was diverted along Filton Avenue due to scheduled roadworks along Filton Road, and was stated on the First website that the service would observe all bus stops along Filton Avenue. I rang the bell to get out along Filton Avenue, and the stupid driver just sailed on past without stopping. I said to him you're supposed to stop at that bus stop! He said "No I'm not! We don't stop along this diverted route!". I said "No you're supposed to stop at all bus stops along this road!". But no he wouldn't have it, and refused to stop and let me out along Filton Avenue!!! That particular incident was incredibly annoying and cased me massive disruption getting back home. I was absolutely fuming mad about it. I complained about it to First, and they apologised about it, said the driver should have stopped at all stops along Filton Avenue, and that he was interviewed about this incident and appropriate action taken. What that appropriate action was I don't know. But I think he should have been sacked for his appalling actions that night, refusing to let me off the bus at those bus stops along Filton Avenue!!

Yesterday afternoon I got a 17 from Gloucester Road to the Bus Station and a Y6 back again. Although these services are much more limited than the 73, 74, 75 & 76, these services can be handy for travelling between Gloucester Road and Broadmead/Bus Station and there being far fewer passengers than those other services which can often be rammed. With the 17 & Y6 between this stretch of the route, you're probably guaranteed to get a window seat and two seats to yourself! On the 17 down, there were only several passengers on the top desk. On the Y6 back again I was the only person on the top deck!

I expect a lot of people waiting at the Haymarket for a bus to anywhere up Cheltenham Road and Gloucester Road, aren't actually aware yet that they can get a 17 or Y6! Though I expect more people will become aware of it over the coming weeks.

I hope to get any of these services back home from work on weekdays if possible. Allthough the timings aren't quite convenient for me. Both the 17 & Y6 are due to leave Haymarket at 1640, and then another 17 at 1720. Unfortunately the two services at 1640 I'm going to just miss by about 5 minutes most days. I tried to get one of them this evening but just missed both of them by a few minutes! And the 17 at 1720 is a tad too late really, unless I stop off in town to get a bit of shopping some days. Though I note the 17 at 1720 today was showing up on the First Bus ap as cancelled anyway! I might try getting this service on Wednesday. Although I wouldn't be surprised if I put my hand out for it to stop and the driver just sails on by! If that happens, I'll be firing of a complaint to First! Though if I can, I'll try to get on at the Bus Station to avoid the risk of this happening.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Exasperating state of affairs at Bristol Airport yesterday evening. I came in on an internal flight and quickly reclaimed my bag before heading to the bus station for the A1 back to Bristol.
At the bus station the 1945 departure was packed with absolutely no chance of boarding, so I didn't mind waiting for half an hour for the next one. The timetable on display at the stop said 1945 and 2015.
At about 2025 with no sign of the 2015 I checked "bustimes" website and found that the 1945 had been changed to 1950 and the old timetable was displayed.
At that time I could see only two buses tracking so guessed correctly that the 2015 was not running.
After nearly an hour standing in a long queue, I managed to catch the next service although some people had earlier gone to find a taxi.

Hopefully some

Dren Ahmeti

Exasperating state of affairs at Bristol Airport yesterday evening. I came in on an internal flight and quickly reclaimed my bag before heading to the bus station for the A1 back to Bristol.
At the bus station the 1945 departure was packed with absolutely no chance of boarding, so I didn't mind waiting for half an hour for the next one. The timetable on display at the stop said 1945 and 2015.
At about 2025 with no sign of the 2015 I checked "bustimes" website and found that the 1945 had been changed to 1950 and the old timetable was displayed.
At that time I could see only two buses tracking so guessed correctly that the 2015 was not running.
After nearly an hour standing in a long queue, I managed to catch the next service although some people had earlier gone to find a taxi.

Hopefully some
The A1 is up to every 12 in peak now.
The airport should have updated the timetables, as we sent them off yonks ago.

Edit: BODS still hasn't got our changes, so stuff isn't showing up on bustimes properly.