• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

LeylandLynx

The ‘Frequent Fourteens’ is a Leicester route, so is irrelevant to Worcester. Perhaps Worcester want to adopt the livery for one of their own routes?
There's now another rumour that 35168 has gone to Lawrence Hill to get its engine replaced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Callum15632

As of this morning/afternoon I saw that there is 4 Citylines blues on the 73 for some random reason. 37240/37267 swapped over onto 76 with 37593/37607 both going onto 73s. Does anyone know why this is the case? Is it just random?

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As of this morning/afternoon there is 4 Citylines blues on the 73 for some random reason. 37240/37267 swapped over onto 76 with 37593/37607 both going onto 73s. Does anyone know why this is the case? Is it just random?
Is this from personal observations, or some other source? Also, please refrain from tagging individual forum members when asking questions; there may be others who are able to respond.

Callum15632

Is this from personal observations, or some other source? Also, please refrain from tagging individual forum members when asking questions; there may be others who are able to respond.
I saw the citylines blues out earlier whilst down the 73 route. Also I thought that John Stait will know?

stait.john

Usually there will be a bus that is off with no driver parked up somewhere, so if any buses have issues these buses can be stepped up to cover them in the hole that they’ll be fixed by the time that bus is due back on.

If that makes sense!

One of the perils of having drivers in one place and the buses in another!

Callum15632

Usually there will be a bus that is off with no driver parked up somewhere, so if any buses have issues these buses can be stepped up to cover them in the hole that they’ll be fixed by the time that bus is due back on.

If that makes sense!

One of the perils of having drivers in one place and the buses in another!
Okay yes that makes sense so probably 37267 had issues on the 73 then so got replaced by a citylines blue and it had its issues resolved by the time it could go onto a 76 running 15 minutes late.

Marcus Fryer

On a visit to Weston-super-Mare last Thursday (8 September), I noticed that the route 7 destination display is now ‘Worle Retail Park’ instead of just ‘Worle’. Presumably this change took place from 3 September?

Today, from observation, the bus tracking on route 73 as 33491 on bustimes.org was actually 33941.

Last edited:

Callum15632

On a visit to Weston-super-Mare last Thursday (8 September), I noticed that the route 7 destination display is now ‘Worle Retail Park’ instead of just ‘Worle’. Presumably this change took place from 3 September?

Today, from observation, the bus tracking on route 73 as 33491 on bustimes.org was actually 33941.

I know that 33491 is actually 33941 as I found out myself at 12:30 as I was waiting for it on Gloucester Road as I thought it was 33491 Bristol Unibus but turned out it was 33941.

Attachments

• IMG20230910124319.jpg
    IMG20230910124319.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 47

D2007wsm

Established Member

They have had that on the destination for some time, it happened before 03/09/23. I think it appeared a similar time to the X1 started displaying ‘X1 Weston-super-Mare/Bristol Direct via A370’.

The X1 now shows that until it reaches Sainsbury’s in Worle before changing to ‘Searle Crescent via Town Centre’

Marcus Fryer

I don’t think it’s been reported on here that 39401 has received a commemorative livery for 60 years of the Bristol bus boycott.

stait.john

36241/2 are due for Ravenhill, I believe they’re helping out WoE for a short time due to a large number of Uni Extras required next week for Freshers.

67083-67090 are due from Glasgow

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Surely some solution could be arrived at for the U5 to return to using deckers. Running single decks on the route seems ludicrous.
So from 2016 to 2023, the route has been operated by deckers and is routed along the Lower Bristol Road. Because one driver (for whatever reason) has driven into the Twerton Arch, that's deemed a reason to convert to singles? Seems bizarre

Private Baxter

Established Member
I didn't realise the U5 was going back to single deck. I remember back in around 2012 when they did it before, usually in the hands of 55 plate B7RLEs, they used to get so busy and got many complaints from the students and university. People often got left behind. Mind you back then it was a 15 minute frequency.
Sounds like this new bach coming from Glasgow are streetlite maxes. Making a return since Bath's original ones left for Leicester a few years ago.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Is it e200 MMCs because they have more capacity? Also what is replacing them at Glasgow or were they spare?
More capacity? Singles replacing doubles? They are 41 seaters
I didn't realise the U5 was going back to single deck. I remember back in around 2012 when they did it before, usually in the hands of 55 plate B7RLEs, they used to get so busy and got many complaints from the students and university. People often got left behind. Mind you back then it was a 15 minute frequency.
Sounds like this new bach coming from Glasgow are streetlite maxes. Making a return since Bath's original ones left for Leicester a few years ago.
They are e200mmc - ex Aberdeen with a brief spell in Glasgow.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for that as I thought you can only go to Newton St Loe as I assumed it is Uni Grounds so no public access. I know that the U1 is fine as I have been on that recently and it was fine to do the full route.
Like Bath University, it is private property so stuff like photography is at the discretion of the authorities. However, the library and arts spaces (e.g. theatres) are open to the public so you're fine to travel there... I just don't know why you would as you have to come back again. Think when I did the U5 to check out the refurbished ALX400s (!), I would've caught an X39 from the Globe to Bristol to continue my journey.

Marcus Fryer

Thanks for that as I thought you can only go to Newton St Loe as I assumed it is Uni Grounds so no public access. I know that the U1 is fine as I have been on that recently and it was fine to do the full route.
University grounds are generally open to the general public, whether that’s Bath, Bath Spa, Bristol or UWE. That includes Langford (on the U2), where the public can also use the ‘Source cafe’.
You can walk into/out of the Newton St Loe campus from ‘The Globe’.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
University grounds are generally open to the general public, whether that’s Bath, Bath Spa, Bristol or UWE. That includes Langford (on the U2), where the public can also use the ‘Source cafe’.
You can walk into/out of the Newton St Loe campus from ‘The Globe’.
Take care if you walk up the drive to Bath Spa Uni, it’s quite narrow!