• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Chaos in York last evening due to the failure of one of the electric double deck at the corner of St Denys Road and Walmgate (sorry didn't catch the fleet number).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoneSouth

Transdev's Alex Hornby has been on his jollies to Wrightbus this week

In the background can be seen some of the new Streetdecks that are going to be making their way to Bradford shortly

With all the vivid colours of many new bus liveries like First Leeds, Stagecoach long distance yellow etc, it’s disappointing for Bradford that they get totally washed out blue! It’s reminiscent of the first attempt at the Bradford Traveler livery (which was terrible) back in the early First days. That didn’t last long before having a big dollop of red painted on the back end. :D

Leeds1970

A friend that passed through the area last night said that there is a very large number of single deck buses in a green colour in a compound in Whitwood on the outskirts of Castleford. Any ideas what they are and who for? As they are green I'm assuming they could be another tranche of electrics for Leeds.

A friend that passed through the area last night said that there is a very large number of single deck buses in a green colour in a compound in Whitwood on the outskirts of Castleford. Any ideas what they are and who for? As they are green I'm assuming they could be another tranche of electrics for Leeds.
Pelican/ Yutong are based around there. I believe Leicester had some green vehicles ordered but thought they already received them (though I'm not at all familiar with that area of the country).

First WY certainly aren't due any more in the immediate future.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With all the vivid colours of many new bus liveries like First Leeds, Stagecoach long distance yellow etc, it’s disappointing for Bradford that they get totally washed out blue! It’s reminiscent of the first attempt at the Bradford Traveler livery (which was terrible) back in the early First days. That didn’t last long before having a big dollop of red painted on the back end. :D
At least Bradford got a new livery... Huddersfield just had "Kingfisher" branding stuck over what had been the latest Yorkshire Rider livery!

M60lad

Correct me if I wrong but wasn't Rider York the same, the same name just stuck over the current Yorkshire Rider livery at the time?

Andyh82

Established Member
At the time the Huddersfield fleet was dominated by buses that were barely 1-2 years old, and they were in the new livery, so it made perfect sense to repurpose that livery as the Huddersfield livery

Except for a batch of darts in Leeds, a small number of minibuses in Halifax and one repainted decker in Leeds, that latest Rider livery only existed in Huddersfield

GoneSouth

At the time the Huddersfield fleet was dominated by buses that were barely 1-2 years old, and they were in the new livery, so it made perfect sense to repurpose that livery as the Huddersfield livery

Except for a batch of darts in Leeds, a small number of minibuses in Halifax and one repainted decker in Leeds, that latest Rider livery only existed in Huddersfield
Shame it wasn’t adopted more widely really as it was far superior to anything they applied to Bradford under the name Bradford Traveler. Those were all awful, but improved slightly each time they tinkered with it.
Does anybody know why Huddersfield changed its name to kingfisher? The others all had geographic names, Leeds, Calder and Bradford etc, so where did Kingfisher come from?

SCH117X

Established Member
With all the vivid colours of many new bus liveries like First Leeds, Stagecoach long distance yellow etc, it’s disappointing for Bradford that they get totally washed out blue!
Between floors presumably will be largely hidden by an advert and below lower deck windows cries out for some bold dark blue brandng which could save it.

superkev

Established Member
Between floors presumably will be largely hidden by an advert and below lower deck windows cries out for some bold dark blue brandng which could save it.
Im sure some traditional Bradford cream a bit like the latest Sheffield version may sparkle up the drab and washed out blues.
K

Andyh82

Established Member
You mean it looks a bit like this

GoneSouth

You mean it looks a bit like this
:D Yes that’s it, I meant the 2 shades of blue are quite similar, not the overall design. Somebody obviously didn’t like the combination and it didn’t last very long, can’t say I’ma fan!

Brooke

Shame it wasn’t adopted more widely really as it was far superior to anything they applied to Bradford under the name Bradford Traveler. Those were all awful, but improved slightly each time they tinkered with it.
Does anybody know why Huddersfield changed its name to kingfisher? The others all had geographic names, Leeds, Calder and Bradford etc, so where did Kingfisher come from?
Yes, that short-lived Yorkshire Rider livery was great in my opinion, especially when applied to those new buses Huddersfield got at the time.

Of course First managed to quickly destroy the brand identity and also âge the fleet profile in Huddersfield in their usual fashion (of that era)!

I lived there at the time and knew a mechanic in the depot. They heard Kingfisher was picked by local management in a brainstorming and since no one had any better ideas they went with it.

No idea if there’s any truth in that, but the whole re-branding certainly didn’t have the feel of a marketing agency being involved.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Halifax has HX Connect, similar to HD Connect but in dark blue / indigo and here's the thing which route is it ment to be for? As there's no mention of it on the First Halifax, Huddersfield and Calder Valley website. Yet I've seen the HX Connect branded vehicles on the 503 (Halifax to Huddersfield), the 548/549 (Halifax to Rastrick/Huddersfield), the 571 (Halifax to Bradford via Brighouse) and the 579 (Halifax to Sowerby).

I still think it was a bad idea on scrapping the Red Arrow, Calder Connect, Zest and Holme Valley Connection names as the generic HD and HX Connect names would've worked well side by side.

Whisky Papa

Halifax has HX Connect, similar to HD Connect but in dark blue / indigo and here's the thing which route is it ment to be for? As there's no mention of it on the First Halifax, Huddersfield and Calder Valley website. Yet I've seen the HX Connect branded vehicles on the 503 (Halifax to Huddersfield), the 548/549 (Halifax to Rastrick/Huddersfield), the 571 (Halifax to Bradford via Brighouse) and the 579 (Halifax to Sowerby).

I still think it was a bad idea on scrapping the Red Arrow, Calder Connect, Zest and Holme Valley Connection names as the generic HD and HX Connect names would've worked well side by side.
Halifax Connect liveried vehicles are now a common sight in Todmorden on the 590/1/2.

Personally I'm not entirely sure I will miss the green fronts on the Calder Connect vehicles though - it was a rather nondescript shade to my eyes.

JRT

Yes, that short-lived Yorkshire Rider livery was great in my opinion, especially when applied to those new buses Huddersfield got at the time.

Of course First managed to quickly destroy the brand identity and also âge the fleet profile in Huddersfield in their usual fashion (of that era)!

I lived there at the time and knew a mechanic in the depot. They heard Kingfisher was picked by local management in a brainstorming and since no one had any better ideas they went with it.

No idea if there’s any truth in that, but the whole re-branding certainly didn’t have the feel of a marketing agency being involved.
Yes, when Badgerline became part of First in 1995, the new First Bus left it up to each local management set-up to decide their own livery and local company name, to give it a more local identity eg Bradford Traveller

superkev

Established Member
Iwas passing Bradford depot yesterday Sat and as best that could be seen from the road at least 16 new Wright Streetdecks were visible in store.
I wonder when they will actually start earning revenue.
K

Does anyone know if the 508 Halifax / Leeds service will ever return to terminating at Leeds Bus Station?

Unfortunately probably not. It will continue to block the stop on Park Row along with the 14 & 15. I used to use it regularly from town but haven't bothered since it changed. It seems pretty quiet in general.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Iwas passing Bradford depot yesterday Sat and as best that could be seen from the road at least 16 new Wright Streetdecks were visible in store.
K
Could be from March since that's when the new number plates are out and these new Streetdecks will more than likely recieve the new 22 plates. Would be nice to see them pressed into service on the X63 / 363 to replace the knackered Gemini's (there's one or two which seem to struggle up the A641 between Brighouse and Bradley Bar). Only the other day an ALX400 was running the service.

Could be from March since that's when the new number plates are out and these new Streetdecks will more than likely recieve the new 22 plates. Would be nice to see them pressed into service on the X63 / 363 to replace the knackered Gemini's (there's one or two which seem to struggle up the A641 between Brighouse and Bradley Bar). Only the other day an ALX400 was running the service.
A. They have 71 plates
B. They should enter service in March
C. X63s *should* be guided vehicles

35638 MD71ENU
35639 MD71ENV
35640 MD71ENW
35641 MD71ENX
35642 MD71ENY
35643 MD71EOA
35644 MD71EOB
35645 MD71EOC
35646 MD71EOE
35647 MD71EOF
35648 MD71EOG
35649 MD71EOH
35650 MD71EOJ
35651 MD71EOK
35652 MD71EOL
35653 MD71EOM
35654 MD71EOO
35655 MD71EOP
35656 MD71EOR
35657 MD71EOS
35658 MD71EOT
35659 MD71EOU
35660 MD71EOV
35661 MD71EOW
35662 MD71EOX
35663 MD71EOY
35664 MD71EOZ
35665 MD71EPA

superkev

Established Member
As there seems to be not much progress in placing them in service most will probably all have to be re-registered as 22 plates.
The X63 Huddesfield- Bradford is currently operated by Huddersfield with mostly non CAZ compliant buses.
Unless you do as Arriva do and miss out the white elephant guideway it needs quide wheel fitted buses. I dont think any streetdecks have ever been aporoved or fitted with them.
K

Andyh82

Established Member
Huddersfield will probably receive a selection of cascaded B9TL/Gemini to operate the X63

skyhigh

Established Member
As there seems to be not much progress in placing them in service most will probably all have to be re-registered as 22 plates.
Why? A vehicle can be registered and parked up for as long as you like - it doesn't become a different registration when you go to move it again...

Andyh82

Established Member
Why? A vehicle can be registered and parked up for as long as you like - it doesn't become a different registration when you go to move it again...
It’s pretty poor though, you spend millions on a new fleet of buses and then launch them with an ‘old’ registration rather than the impact of having 22 plates on the road. You can bet if Bradford’s neighbours up in Keighley were launching new buses they wouldn’t miss this point.

mic

at the moment Huddersfield is doing all the duties on said services 37083 where moved to Huddersfield last year for the services

It’s pretty poor though, you spend millions on a new fleet of buses and then launch them with an ‘old’ registration rather than the impact of having 22 plates on the road. You can bet if Bradford’s neighbours up in Keighley were launching new buses they wouldn’t miss this point.
I wouldn't consider First to be a 'premium' operator like the boys over in Keighley. If they're happy with that God-awful new livery then registrations are the last thing they're bothered about. And I'm sure 99% of the public won't notice/ be able to read anyway. (No offence to anyone from Bradford lol).

Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
at the moment Huddersfield is doing all the duties on said services 37083 where moved to Huddersfield last year for the x63.
Yes, Bradford's guide wheel fitted and X63 branded 08 plate B9s 37083, 84 85, 86, 87 are on loan to Huddersfield who are currently operating all duties on the X63.

They join Huddersfield's elderly 54 plate guide wheel fitted branded B7s 32503, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 which are presumably not CAZ compliant.
K

83G/84D

Established Member
K

I have just read off 14 from outside although there are some more that I could not identify.
None are tracking on bustimes today although 35639 is on there. I don’t think it went out this morning.
I saw a B7TL behind a PVS wrecker on the A650 outbound from Bradford. I could not see which one it was but it appeared to be cannibalised. 32534 on the depot appeared to be the same.