• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seehof

What is wrong with the Metrodeckers? There are always many in service - there was even one on the “1” the other day?

What is wrong with the Metrodeckers? There are always many in service - there was even one on the “1” the other day?
They remain unable to complete a “full” 0830-2200 day in service. They breakdown at a far higher rate than the other buses. They suffer from the Optare Quality.

Recently some have decided they don’t want to release the handbrake and/or go into ‘gear’ Drive/Reverse no matter what you do.

They’re too unreliable for the service they’re supposed to run (high intensity, high reliability P&R).

As for them appearing on City/Uni routes, there’s still not full grid capacity so whatever can go out is going out on a morning. Expect funky allocations across the board to be the normal until the grid connection & upgrade is finished around Easter

greyman42

Established Member
Given they are mostly town routes passengers are not on the bus that long.
I was travelling on the 6 from city centre to Clifton Moor and it can take quite a time with the traffic. Its a long time to sit there freezing.

MasterSpenny

New listings on buslistsontheweb.co.uk for these Kites consist of:
63572 - ML73DZV
63573 - ML73DZW
63574 - ML73DZX
63575 - ML73DZY
63576 - ML73DZZ
As of this post being written buslistsontheweb.co.uk has comfirmed some more Kites, which are as follows:
Fleet NumberRegistration
63577ML73EAA
63578ML73EAC
63579ML73EAE
63580ML73EAF
63581ML73EAG
63582ML73EAJ

Andyh82

Established Member
I was going to visit York today but looking on BusTimes only 6 of the 28 Streetdeck electroliners they have in the fleet are actually in service this morning

I know BusTimes can be wrong but probably not that wrong, is this low level of utilisation normal?

I was going to visit York today but looking on BusTimes only 6 of the 28 Streetdeck electroliners they have in the fleet are actually in service this morning

I know BusTimes can be wrong but probably not that wrong, is this low level of utilisation normal?
Saturday a lot of boards don’t “start” until after 9.30. Also tend to use the same number of diesels on a weekend as on a weekday which gives a higher % diesel usage on weekends because there’s less boards overall

Hullian111

They remain unable to complete a “full” 0830-2200 day in service. They breakdown at a far higher rate than the other buses. They suffer from the Optare Quality.

Recently some have decided they don’t want to release the handbrake and/or go into ‘gear’ Drive/Reverse no matter what you do.
And let’s not forget their militant tendency for catching fire, lately...
They’re too unreliable for the service they’re supposed to run (high intensity, high reliability P&R).
So, if the word is true that the MetroDeckers are getting replaced by more StreetDecks, where are the MetroDeckers going to end up? Sold to the highest bidder or for scrap? Can’t see many except for some cash-strapped local authorities after some second-hand electric MetroDeckers.

superkev

Established Member

As for them appearing on City/Uni routes, there’s still not full grid capacity so whatever can go out is going out on a morning. Expect funky allocations across the board to be the normal until the grid connection & upgrade is finished around Easter
Very new for scrap.
Perhaps they could re power them like the Optare Versas which seem to be ok so far.
Or fit a latest tech (larger) battery.
K

Seehof

What is the meaning of the term “boards”? Is that the same as what London Transport used to call running number?

Andyh82

Established Member
Saturday a lot of boards don’t “start” until after 9.30. Also tend to use the same number of diesels on a weekend as on a weekday which gives a higher % diesel usage on weekends because there’s less boards overall
Thanks for that, I hadn’t realised this, yes a few more electroliners did come out later

That’s one further negative with the AI timetables, you can’t see when the standard pattern when all buses are out starts, as there isn’t a standard pattern. It’s basically 0500 then at random intervals of varying lengths until 2300.

The 4 I caught, having a ride on a double deck electroliner was the first bus in 25 minutes as per the AI timetable. As a result it got quite full.

Seehof

The AI timetabled services are getting a lot of criticism in York as they make no sense to the frequent passenger who wants to try and remember them. Ironically, I think, generally speaking, the bus services have got more reliable in York recently.

So, if the word is true that the MetroDeckers are getting replaced by more StreetDecks, where are the MetroDeckers going to end up? Sold to the highest bidder or for scrap? Can’t see many except for some cash-strapped local authorities after some second-hand electric MetroDeckers.
Other West Yorkshire depots have been mooted but I genuinely don’t have anything concrete.
What is the meaning of the term “boards”? Is that the same as what London Transport used to call running number?
Board(s) = running board(s)
Basically a diagram in railway terms, a list of all the runnings a bus is supposed to do on a particular day
The AI timetabled services are getting a lot of criticism in York as they make no sense to the frequent passenger who wants to try and remember them. Ironically, I think, generally speaking, the bus services have got more reliable in York recently.
Buses are more reliable since the AI timetables have been bedded in, but I still think it would’ve been better to go down a step in clockface timetables (i.e 4bph —> 3bph, every 15 —> 20) rather than have these random ‘anywhere between every 15-20 mins’.

59s and 2/2As are (ironically) the only routes without an AI generated timetable!

Andyh82

Established Member
There was an article about First’s usage of AI timetables on the BBC News website last week. As it’s AI and hence really modern futuristic stuff, it was a positive review.

Personally I think there should be an additional layer, whatever the AI comes up with, use it but average out all journeys between 0900 and 1500 so they have the same frequency and running times.

317 forever

Established Member

They could be sold to Go-Ahead London :lol:

citybus2500

Thanks for that, I hadn’t realised this, yes a few more electroliners did come out later

That’s one further negative with the AI timetables, you can’t see when the standard pattern when all buses are out starts, as there isn’t a standard pattern. It’s basically 0500 then at random intervals of varying lengths until 2300.

The 4 I caught, having a ride on a double deck electroliner was the first bus in 25 minutes as per the AI timetable. As a result it got quite full.

Even a few buses heading out of garage between 10:00 and 11:00. A useful trick is to look at what happened on previous Saturdays.

That said, every diesel bus in York was on the road today, which smacks of a hint of convenience for the depot rather than only major issues with EVs. Some rather rubbish allocations as well, B7RLE and Versa on 66/67, Uni Electroliner on the 3, the pair of Uni Streetdecks on 5 and 7, Versas on the 5, B7RLEs everywhere! Also, the C1/C2 don't seem to ever track.

Last edited:
For people interested, it is only 36528 and 63668 left to enter service before the York fleet is “complete” and the diesels are supposed to “leave”

I believe they are being collected this week, if they’ve not already. This Sunday 28th should (in theory at least) be a 100% electric allocation…

Mollman

Established Member
West Yorkshire service changes for February are out on Metro site and show that the current Hudd - Halifax 503 is being replaced by a 15 minute 501 (also replacing the hospital leg of the 372) and 15 minute X1 with a faster routing. The will give a 7/8 combined frequency which is on par with the 8 minute frequency of the 503 I remember over 10 years ago.
501 Halifax • Calderdale Royal Hospital • West Vale • Elland • Lindley •
Huddersfield Royal Infirmary • Huddersfield
Sun 18 Feb 2024
Operated by First
This service will be significantly enhanced to run every 15 minutes on Monday to
Saturday daytimes, half-hourly on evenings / Sunday daytime, and reducing to
hourly late evenings. It will coordinate with service X1 to provide a bus every 7 or 8
minutes from Halifax to Calderdale Royal Hospital and on to Elland and
Huddersfield.
X1 Halifax • Calderdale Royal Hospital • Elland • Huddersfield
Sun 18 Feb 2024
Operated by First
This new service will provide a faster link between Halifax, Elland town centre and
Huddersfield, operating via the A629 between Halifax and Elland. It will run every 15
minutes on Monday to Saturday daytimes, half-hourly on evenings/ Sunday daytime,
and reducing to hourly late evenings. It will coordinate with service 501 to provide a
bus every 7 or 8 minutes from Halifax to Calderdale Royal Hospital and on to Elland
and Huddersfield.
503 Halifax • Calderdale Royal Hospital • West Vale • Elland • Huddersfield
Sun 18 Feb 2024
Operated by First
This service will be withdrawn and replaced by enhanced service 501 and new
service X1.

https://www.wymetro.com/changes/

Whisky Papa

West Yorkshire service changes for February are out on Metro site and show that the current Hudd - Halifax 503 is being replaced by a 15 minute 501 (also replacing the hospital leg of the 372) and 15 minute X1 with a faster routing. The will give a 7/8 combined frequency which is on par with the 8 minute frequency of the 503 I remember over 10 years ago.

While those improvements are very welcome, I'm less impressed with some of the reductions on the 590-2 group, which will see only an hourly service on some evenings between Todmorden and Halifax, the worst it has been in the 40 years I've lived here. The reduction from a fifteen to twenty minute headway off-peak is manageable I suppose, assuming all journeys run (ha!). I look forward to seeing the actual timetables when released.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Wondering why they've picked X1 as the route number, rather than resurrecting the X36 number that was previously used for a fast Huddersfield to Halifax service. X1 is also used by Team Pennine's Wakefield to Holmfirth service, which whilst it doesn't overlap with Huddersfield to Halifax, will be a pain for anyone looking up the timetables on the Metro website.
Though of course it is Team Pennine's service which breaks convention rather than First's.

York: The 13 B7RLEs will be staying until the end of March. 4 bendys to go for scrap as soon as the electricity generator is online (but not the final uplift - that’s what the B7s are staying until)