• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Darren Moore has been sacked by Huddersfield Town after four months and 23 games, of which he only won 3.

The right decision, as it was clearly not working out. He's a nice guy by all accounts, but definitely a case of the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time. Prior to this appointment Moore had a pretty good win record over his career though that may have been inflated by his ridiculous points total with Sheffield Wednesday last season, which was in third tier.

The next appointment is absolutely crucial. Doubt we can play the Warnock card again for obvious reasons. Whoever it is, he won't be in charge for Saturday against (ironically) Sheffield Wednesday, which is now even more of a "six-pointer".

On one YouTube video someone throws a red flare onto the pitch at WBA Vs Wolves. If you can smuggle a flare in then it must be even easier to conceal a blade. Incredible given the increase in knife crime that fans aren't properly frisked on entry!
Even in the dark days of the 70s and 80s, use of weapons was frowned upon by the hooligan "firms". That said, the trouble we see these days is less "organised" so more likely for innocent fans including families to get caught up in it. Part of the new problem seems to be cocaine use.
Flares are probably a red herring, in other countries flares are commonplace and (rightly or wrongly) considered part of the culture. Injuries from flares seem pretty rare compared to how often they're used in those places.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'd be more worried with guy from Stoke who chased the ref off the pitch yesterday in the Pompey win at Vale.
There are a couple of refs i have seen i would have chased out of town if I could! It was complete madness. How much plot do you have to lose to do that? I did once see a poor ref have an apple core lobbed onto his forehead by a disgruntled old timer.
Hardly stuff of the 70s 80s as far as crowd trouble goes but i suppose there is that little of it actually inside the stadiums these days it'll make big news tomorrow.
Two worst examples I have seen.

9th January 1985 Darlington v Middlesbrough FA CUP 3rd round replay. 14,237 inside Feethams. 2-1 win for Darlo. Pitch invasion, baton ( although they were called truncheons in them days) wielding coppers smashing anyone who moved and dragging them off down the tunnel for a bit more working over no doubt. Boro fans smashed up the town centre after the match. 12 arrests. Game only stopped for 10 minutes

BTW this is the only time we have beaten the Boro! Two draws and one win with 6 defeats irc.

8th November 1986 Darlington v Middlesbrough League Division 3. Police dogs and horses on the pitch, town like a war zone, organised fighting in the town before and after the game, police dogs and horses on the pitch trying to break up the fighting, trouble throughout the game, after the game there was a charge across the cricket pitch that wouldn't have looked out of place at Culloden followed by close quarter hand to hand combat and a vast brawl. 103 arrests!

I was a young kid and we had just started going to the football. My dad never told my mum how bad it was and i have no idea why he took me again! It was absolutely crazy and VERY dangerous. Completely mental. We were in the main stand and it was like something out of the Roman coliseum. Just insane! Worth nothing this involved 2 quite small teams who although close neighbours have never really been rivals and I have never even seen as bad disorder in derby games with the hangers.

Teesside live: https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/nostalgia/football-shame-mid-80s-boro-9766702

Today we go back to the mid 1980s to two Middlesbrough v Darlington matches. One a cup game in January 1985, the other a league game in 1986, both riddled with violence, hooliganism and destruction.

SteveM70

Established Member
There are a couple of refs i have seen i would have chased out of town if I could! It was complete madness. How much plot do you have to lose to do that? I did once see a poor ref have an apple core lobbed onto his forehead by a disgruntled old timer

There was a match at the Shay back in the mid 90s, lost 4-0 to (I think) Woking off the back of the second worst * reffing performance I've ever seen in the flesh. At half time an old guy on crutches hopped across the old main stand, leaned over the tunnel, and clouted the ref on the head with a crutch. As you say, how far gone do you have to be to do stuff like that?

* James Hermuzzi, Ossett Albion v FC Halifax Town tail end of the 2008/09 season. 16 yellow cards and 4 red cards in a game that was a bit niggly at times but nothing too bad. He refused to leave the centre circle at the end of the game until some police turned up to look after him

75A

Established Member
Well done to Luton, 3-0 up @ half time at home to Brighton. They were 2-0 up after 3 minutes which is impressive, and apparently the second fastest 2-0 in Premier League history. Obviously dont know about pre

It finished 4-0 and with Everton drawing 0-0 @ Fulham it means the Hatters are out of the relegation zone, jumping above Everton, they're a point ahead with a game in hand.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well done to Luton, 3-0 up @ half time at home to Brighton. They were 2-0 up after 3 minutes which is impressive, and apparently the second fastest 2-0 in Premier League history. Obviously dont know about pre

It finished 4-0 and with Everton drawing 0-0 @ Fulham it means the Hatters are out of the relegation zone, jumping above Everton, they're a point ahead with a game in hand.
Hope it continues, just to spite the pundits (both pro and amateur) who said relegation was "nailed on".

As if it takes any level of expertise to say that the club with a tiny budget, dated stadium, and relatively recent history of being in the non-league system, might find it difficult competing with the Sovereign Wealth Fund-backed clubs. :rolleyes:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
same on Saturday: Brackley away!
You drew 1-1 with them in your home fixture earlier in the season.

Bloomin heck, mind you I suppose it's the same for the teams travelliung up to you.
This is what happens in the leagues with a "North" section owing to the number of South Midlands/ South East/South West teams seemingly being accommodated "somewhere" despite their geographical location.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is what happens in the leagues with a "North" section owing to the number of South Midlands/ South East/South West teams seemingly being accommodated "somewhere" despite their geographical location.
It also happens in the south, but the travel is more likely to be in an east-west (or v.v.) direction. Dover and Braintree against Truro (Plymouth), Torquay and Exeter for example.

75A

Established Member
It also happens in the south, but the travel is more likely to be in an east-west (or v.v.) direction. Dover and Braintree against Truro (Plymouth), Torquay and Exeter for example.
My late Father was involved with Bognor Regis Town and in the 70's I can remember going to both Bideford & Minehead with him, which seemed like a long way as a child.

Haywain

Veteran Member
My late Father was involved with Bognor Regis Town and in the 70's I can remember going to both Bideford & Minehead with him, which seemed like a long way as a child.
And compared with going from Dover you were already halfway there!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bloomin heck, mind you I suppose it's the same for the teams travelling up to you
But not often Darlington then Spennymoor on a Tuesday/Saturday cycle

The full time clubs often stay overnight. Darlo dont/cant very often.
You drew 1-1 with them in your home fixture earlier in the season.
By some miracle - I think they had a bad start to the season and have changed manager. They now occupy thier standard play off but not actually wanting promotion berth ;)

We never get anything at thier place, expect that time we won 3-0!

SteveM70

Established Member
But not often Darlington then Spennymoor on a Tuesday/Saturday cycle

I wondered about that. Was last night always scheduled for then, or was it moved after a postponement? If the former, that's poor on the part of the league

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wondered about that. Was last night always scheduled for then, or was it moved after a postponement? If the former, that's poor on the part of the league
A rearranged for the second time game - the league do it all the time. Both clubs must have agreed to the change surely?

SteveM70

Established Member
A rearranged for the second time game - the league do it all the time. Both clubs must have agreed to the change surely?

Yes, but sometimes there's very little - if any - alternative, because there's a rule that the game must be played within a defined period from the original date unless (paraphrasing) completely impossible

And frustratingly this also includes rubbish like the County Cup, where Halifax still haven't played their much-postponed first round game at Harrogate Railway (called off again yesterday) and there's now a real possibility that the clubs will be instructed to postpone a Saturday league game each in order to play it. If that did come to pass, I suspect Halifax would withdraw from the competition and accept whatever fine came with it

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If that did come to pass, I suspect Halifax would withdraw from the competition and accept whatever fine came with it
we pulled out of a Durham Senior Cup game for a similar reason
As I recall, from Conference days, the league only get involved if a date can't be agreed.
We won't need the conference authorities next season!

JD2168

A slightly surprising deal has emerged in the transfer window for Southampton midfielder Carlos Alcaraz to move on loan to Juventus with an obligation to buy of £45 million.

Barry Robson has been sacked by Aberdeen.

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds have climbed to 2nd in the Championship after a 0-1 win at Bristol City. It is something of a false position however, as Leeds have now played 2 more games than their immediate rivals.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Hyde United 2 ... Workington AFC 0

No more free scoring today for Hyde, as in that run of recent matches, as determined defence from Workington and rotten weather were evident. Hyde scored in the 43rd and 45th minutes to lead 2-0 at half time, but that was the end of the scoring in the match. This result sees Hyde move into third place in the league.

75A

Established Member
Hats of again to Luton, scored 4 goals again, this time @ Newcastle. Their next game is @ home to Sheffield Utd next Saturday what's the odds on them doing it again?
At the moment Villa are 4-0 up against Sheffield Utd after 30 minutes!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sheffield United fans leaving Bramall Lane after 22 (twenty-two) minutes with their team 3 down to Aston Villa. Something else for Chris Wilder to have a moan about!
I do wonder, in cricket parlance, if that Villa "declared" after their fifth goal went in two minutes after half-time. I did wonder if this match would end up as what I used to call a "Fort William" scoreline.... :'(

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

North West Counties Football League....Premier Division

Pilkington 2 ... Bury 3

Just thought I would see how Bury are faring on their long battle to eventually gain their EFL status today. A flurry of early goals saw Bury score three in the first 28 minutes.

Bury are in second place, one point behind Wythenshawe Town, but with two games in hand and a goal difference of 50.

Last edited:

dangie

Established Member
Stoke City 0 - 5 Leicester

Scoreline a bit harsh. Leicester’s 5th goal was a penalty in the 8th minute of injury time. I think there should only have been six minutes. We woz robbed…….

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Town 4 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

certainly not a vintage performance, this one... two poor, struggling sides who both struggled to create anything in the first hour. If anything the visitors slightly edged it on play if not chances up to that point... then a mad twelve minutes ensued which had the visiting supporters streaming out to get the early train home. Whilst Jon Worthington is not thought to be in contention for the full-time manager position, playing with a bit of impetus and determination made all the difference. There's no way under the sun that Darren Moore would have produced anything close to a 4-0 win.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Their next game is @ home to Sheffield Utd next Saturday what's the odds on them doing it again?
We'll see but we're a long way from giving up. My big concern for this season was how we would score enough goals - just shows what I know!

Last edited: