• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

12CSVT

Established Member
Yesterday's surprise result of the day - Fort William won ! (and they kept a clean sheet)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ReverendFozz

I was talking to an American in Edinburgh about 13 years ago, he had just been introduced to football over here, and I asked him who he supported, he responded, in typical american fashion 'yoo-nahted' thats what it sounded like anyway, I had to explain to him that, at the time, there was at least 3 Uniteds in the Premier League at the time, Manchester, Newcastle and West Ham...It is the same in Ireland, Man U are just United...

I was talking to an American in Edinburgh about 13 years ago, he had just been introduced to football over here, and I asked him who he supported, he responded, in typical american fashion 'yoo-nahted' thats what it sounded like anyway, I had to explain to him that, at the time, there was at least 3 Uniteds in the Premier League at the time, Manchester, Newcastle and West Ham...It is the same in Ireland, Man U are just United...

they aren't real fans though are they. They are just glory supporters that want to be part of the success. Anyone can select a club to support but some of us support a team because we are proud of where we come from and dont need to simply follow the team that was the best when we was growing up.

good to see the reffing in the man yoo game is as consistent as ever today.

SS4

Established Member
what does that prove? rooney barged into caulker then slipped over. he then launched a foul mouthed tirade against the assistant. rooney now flattens lennon and stops a counter.

Could mean anything from a genuine claim to desperation to saving face after cocking up. Did said foul mouthed tirade end in a yellow card?

David

Established Member
what does that prove? rooney barged into caulker then slipped over. he then launched a foul mouthed tirade against the assistant. rooney now flattens lennon and stops a counter.

Stonewall penalty according to pundits, so Man Utd don't get all the decisions their way.

Other than that, I'll not comment further until I've seen MOTD.

Stonewall penalty according to pundits, so Man Utd don't get all the decisions their way.

Other than that, I'll not comment further until I've seen MOTD.

well to me it looked like a total dive similar to parkers earlier.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
fergie ranting at the ref. all the refs fault. I don't remember him being this vocal about refs after the west ham game. redknapp slams fergie for his comments and with alladyce charged in the week will the fa dare charge fergie for that rant.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Anyone blamed the pitch yet? (Thus calling the referees competency into question)
Van Persie has been an excellent signing for Manchester United though, no question about that.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Anyone blamed the pitch yet? (Thus calling the referees competency into question)
Van Persie has been an excellent signing for Manchester United though, no question about that.

Van Persie is the only reason Man U. are top he's the signing of the season, without him they look very ordinary.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
4 out of 6, 3 for their win, and 1 for the draw.

Must be more careful to see what number I type....:oops:

Indeed so. He is the second top-rated Dutch centre-forward they have signed who have "van" in their surname.
They scored within the allocated time though.

And who allocates the time ?

I bet though if that was the other way around (i.e. Man Utd scoring) It would be wrong because its "Fergie Time" )

not at all. as long as its scored within the allocated time then no problem.

Having review the Rooney penalty it does appear he may have been unlucky. I've seen many of them given and fergie was correct to be annoyed. that doesnt mean his comments are acceptable however. he needs to show restraint and a bit of class at times.

still 5 point gap between the Manchesters now. interesting.

Stonewall penalty, as various pundits said.

suppose it goes part way to evening out the west ham decisions
big week of football coming up. first game for saints new manager tomorrow. league cup semi finals and the fa cup 4th round games.

We've got Tottenham at Elland Road next Sunday. how many will they score.

andrew bell

I bet though if that was the other way around (i.e. Man Utd scoring) It would be wrong because its "Fergie Time" )

When the 4th official put his board up at 45 and 90 mins it indicates a MINIMUM allocated time to be added, if the referee thinks there should be more time to be added he is allowed to, but he isnt meant to blow the whistle to end the half/match before the minimum time has expired.

If Fergie doesn't get punished for his outburst against the referee and linesman today then the FA are left in a percarious situation, it would leave the door open for managers to abuse the officials all the time. I do agree it should of been a penalty, but the penalty in the Chelsea game wasnt as the forward (cant remember who it was) put his feet in an un natural position and fell over Sczecney

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
When the 4th official put his board up at 45 and 90 mins it indicates a MINIMUM allocated time to be added, if the referee thinks there should be more time to be added he is allowed to, but he isnt meant to blow the whistle to end the half/match before the minimum time has expired.

Your clarification (as shown in capitals) is most welcomed, as there has always been members on this forum who do not fully comprehend the correct meaning of the regulations that appertain to this particular matter. Mind you, a reading of some press reports would seem also to convey the message that "professional sports journalists" are also in need of taking to task about their understanding of this matter.

If Fergie doesn't get punished for his outburst against the referee and linesman today then the FA are left in a percarious situation, it would leave the door open for managers to abuse the officials all the time. I do agree it should of been a penalty, but the penalty in the Chelsea game wasnt as the forward (cant remember who it was) put his feet in an un natural position and fell over Sczecney

if he isnt charged it would be incredibly sinister and worrying. indefensible comment's today.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rooney barged into Caulker then slipped over. He then launched a foul mouthed tirade against the assistant.

This was your first posting comment on the penalty incident.
Well to me it looked like a total dive similar to Parkers earlier.

This was your second posting comment on the same incident.
Having review the Rooney penalty it does appear he may have been unlucky. I've seen many of them given and Fergie was correct to be annoyed.

This was your third posting comment on the same incident.

How can your opinion, so definite at first, be changed to such an extent ?

Last edited: