• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Oswyntail

Established Member
Stonewall penalty,
No such thing. As has been shown fairly conclusively, whatever the number of television angles available, there is always doubt. Simpler, and overall fairer, to simply accept the official's decision
.....as various pundits said.
Don't forget that the job of the "pundit" depends entirely on controversy. I would not be surprised to find that the first thing they do on reviewing a match is to determine which decision they are going to disagree with. No disagreement, no job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlythPower

I'm sorry, but to get beaten at home to Reading is unacceptable. A complete lack of tactical awareness from Pardew, taking all creativity off the pitch.
I'm going to have to say it. PARDEW OUT!

Don't worry - there's only another seven and a half years left on his contract! :D

Still, it ain't over 'til Petula Clark sings...

Doon Toon!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Don't forget that the job of the "pundit" depends entirely on controversy. I would not be surprised to find that the first thing they do on reviewing a match is to determine which decision they are going to disagree with. No disagreement, no job.

Now I see why there are certain postings made on the Football thread that cause controversy. From what you say, there are also "pundits" of a more amateur status who frequent this forum.

I will have to bear your clarification in mind when I intend to make postings in responses to statements made by the Rail UK forums very own "pundits" and this may well convince me not to make some of my intended postings.

You do talk a lot of sense.

This was your first posting comment on the penalty incident.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

This was your second posting comment on the same incident.

This was your third posting comment on the same incident.

How can your opinion, so definite at first, be changed to such an extent ?

I was watching on a non Sky Sports telecast at that time and there was no replays available. From the angle I saw I looked like he barged into Caulker and fell over.

Upon watching the replays when I got home on Sky Sports from a different angle it looked like more of a penalty than I orginally thought.

I'm admitting I got it wrong orginally, what's wrong with that? It's probably best I don't further contribute any further to hear because whatever I say is roundly critisized whatever my commentz.

andrew bell

I was watching on a non Sky Sports telecast at that time and there was no replays available. From the angle I saw I looked like he barged into Caulker and fell over.

Upon watching the replays when I got home on Sky Sports from a different angle it looked like more of a penalty than I orginally thought.

I'm admitting I got it wrong orginally, what's wrong with that? It's probably best I don't further contribute any further to hear because whatever I say is roundly critisized whatever my commentz.

You have said how you saw it at the time, I have seen numerous incidents at 1 angle, said what I thought and when I saw it again hours later I changed my mind over it. I do admire and praise you for putting your hands up and saying my original comments was wrong and now I agree with everyone else.

I do feel that the reason you and Joe H are at loggerheads is due to the teams you support and the 'hatred' between the respected clubs, I will say things as I see it and if people want to tell me I am wrong I will listen to them and will try to explain why I think my opinion is right.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Indeed so. He is the second top-rated Dutch centre-forward they have signed who have "van" in their surname.

That's not really saying much though is it? It's almost like saying Gary Neville is the second top-rated English defender they have signed with 'Neville' in their surname. How many Dutch centre-forwards with 'van' in the name have Manchester United actually signed?

And who allocates the time ?

I bet though if that was the other way around (i.e. Man Utd scoring) It would be wrong because its "Fergie Time" )

Isn't 'Fergie Time' the time added to the minutes signalled? For example, if there are four minutes added and the goal is in the seventh minute of added time, it is in 'Fergie Time'.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That's not really saying much though is it? It's almost like saying Gary Neville is the second top-rated English defender they have signed with 'Neville' in their surname. How many Dutch centre-forwards with 'van' in the name have Manchester United actually signed?

Both the current signing, Robin van Persie, together with the other player signed in recent historical time, Ruud van Nistelroooy (60 goals in the Champions League, 35 goals in 70 international matches, a total of 249 goals in 449 matches played for all the clubs he represented) are centre-forwards of the highest calibre at both international and club level.

I am horrified to see the name of Gary Neville (or indeed of his brother Phil Neville) being mentioned as a comparison, as both of these could best be described as "workmanlike" when playing a club level, but with very doubtful attributes concerning queries of their "star" qualities on the international match stage.

richw

Veteran Member
Your clarification (as shown in capitals) is most welcomed, as there has always been members on this forum who do not fully comprehend the correct meaning of the regulations that appertain to this particular matter. Mind you, a reading of some press reports would seem also to convey the message that "professional sports journalists" are also in need of taking to task about their understanding of this matter.

How is stoppage time calculated? It rarely seems reflective of matches.
Maybe a rugby style clock where the clock stop accordingly with stoppages, so when 90 is up, that is it. Believe its done by remote control watches between the referee and the stadium clock.

SS4

Established Member
There's a lot to be said for being workmanlike although it's increasingly difficult when scoring and attacking is rated as being more valuable than defending (despite Chelsea winning the Champions League that way).

It is my fear that this will work its way further into the minds of the FA/match officials, diving going largely unpunished* and the most recent change to the offside rule have already borne this out.

* Even when it is punished it hardly makes a difference as the reward far outweighs the risk.

Phil6219

Rochdale have confirmed they have sacked their manager, Club Statement

I think they were unlucky to loose the previous manager as he was getting results, well so I was told on a daily basis by a colleague...

so the big question is now will fergie be charged for his post match comments?

Ha, more chance of me getting laid this weekend... Actually come to think of it, more chance of getting laid, coming into a bucketload of money and buying myself a nice little class 31 :D

Phil 8-)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Both the current signing, Robin van Persie, together with the other player signed in recent historical time, Ruud van Nistelroooy (60 goals in the Champions League, 35 goals in 70 international matches, a total of 249 goals in 449 matches played for all the clubs he represented) are centre-forwards of the highest calibre at both international and club level....

I'll take that as a "two", making van Persie the worst Dutch centre-forward they have signed with 'van' in the surname....:lol:

....I am horrified to see the name of Gary Neville (or indeed of his brother Phil Neville) being mentioned as a comparison, as both of these could best be described as "workmanlike" when playing a club level, but with very doubtful attributes concerning queries of their "star" qualities on the international match stage.

Phil! that's his name!!!!!! sorry I just couldn't think of it when writing my previous post out....

The comparison was not of the players, but of the stats.

Southampton looked very impressive in the first half against Everton but they go in at the break at 0-0.

Everton showed very little with Baines making a complete mess of a free kick mid way through the half.

The FA have not charged Alex Ferguson for his comments yesterday. Instead, they have asked him to explain his comments to them. hmmmm.
Phil - Class 31, good call mate! Marvellous machines.
Don't worry - there's only another seven and a half years left on his contract! :D

Still, it ain't over 'til Petula Clark sings...

Doon Toon!

I really don't get that decision from Ashley. It could end up costing a hell of a lot of money.
Oh man oh man, what a chance for Jelavic, great ball from Anichebe but Jelavic manages to backheel the ball and the chance is gone.

Decent game for 0-0. Everton have been a lot better in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
I've kept out of the Man United discussion until now, but for completeness I'll just add in my views....

- Spurs deserved to get something out of the game, can't argue with that at all, just a bit annoying that we held out for so long until (perfectly legit.) added time. Ah well, would have taken a draw at the start of play

- It probably was a penalty on Rooney, I think he expected it to be given, hence the outburst. I don't even think that it was a 'well If I shout a bit I'll get one' type of penalty, I think he was convinced that he was fouled. It's also good to see that other posters have changed their opinion upon seeing it again and admitted that they may have initially been wrong.

- Fergie's comments after the game were out of order, you can't get at the officials like that! However, once again the ball is in the FA's court, up to them to punish if they felt it bad enough and wish to make a stand.... if they don't, they only have themselves to blame.

Right, enough of that, did anyone see Jason Puncheon's 'break' last night? :P

I was very surprised to hear of the Southampton sacking, not a bad start of the new manager last night, but it's very clear who the majority of fans were backing. I don't think they'll be too pleased if as a result of the new boss, they don't find themselves in any better a position at the end of the season than when Adkins went.

SS4

Established Member
Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be singing que sera, sera but I have my reservations about our profligacy in front of goal and breaking down a Bradford team likely to stick ten men behind the ball (that's not an insult, it's shrewd from their POV)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rochdale have confirmed they have sacked their manager, Club Statement

I think they were unlucky to lose the previous manager as he was getting results, well so I was told on a daily basis by a colleague...

It has been announced that Keith Hill, who recently was at Barnsley, will be returning to Spotland to start his second period of management at Rochdale.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
It has been announced that Keith Hill, who recently was at Barnsley, will be returning to Spotland to start his second period of management at Rochdale.

We have a proper manager again.

I expect the results to improve, and look forward to us actually trying to play football rather than feigning injury and whining at referees, as was the tactic under the previous incumbent.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bratfud have just eqaulised against Villa, 1-1 after roughly 55 minutes there. Of course the utterley bizarre and totally unfair away goals rule has now swung out of Villa's favour (in the LC, away goals don't count at the end of 90 mins, but do after 120 mins...).
Well done Bratfud!

richw

Veteran Member
From prize money alone I'm sure this will buy promotion for bradford probably next season

David

Established Member
From prize money alone I'm sure this will buy promotion for bradford probably next season

I don't think there is any prize money handed out in the League cup. Match day takings however ....

At a rough guess, Bradford are looking to earn roughly £1 million in gate money from the final alone (provided it's a sell out).

richw

Veteran Member
I don't think there is any prize money handed out in the League cup. Match day takings however ....

At a rough guess, Bradford are looking to earn roughly £1 million in gate money from the final alone (provided it's a sell out).

The prize money is awarded by the Football League. The winners of the League Cup win £100,000 and the runners-up win £50,000. The losing semi-finalists will each take home £25,000

for the premier league teams this is probably pence, but for Bradford possibly not,

i'm assuming there will be TV money paid out as well?

atomicdanny

There is the other thought if Bradford manage to win the League Cup (although not an easy task, wouldn't they go though to the Europa League? although if its against Chelsea and they lose would they still go into the Europa League if Chelsea finish in a Champions League spot? )

Another random though what is the lowest team in the league that has gotten into Europe?

Eng274

There is the other thought if Bradford manage to win the League Cup (although not an easy task, wouldn't they go though to the Europa League? although if its against Chelsea and they lose would they still go into the Europa League if Chelsea finish in a Champions League spot? )

Another random though what is the lowest team in the league that has gotten into Europe?

The now defunct Gretna qualified for what was the Uefa cup for being runner up in the Scottish cup in 2006, because the eventual winner qualified for a champions league spot in the same season in the league. Gretna were in the SFL division 2 at the time (3rd tier).

richw

Veteran Member

The winner goes into the 3rd qualifying round of Europa league. If the winner has already got a champions league place, the europa league place goes to the premiership, the loser doesnt get it.

Millwall 2004-05?

Bradford most recently played in Europe in 2000, where they played in the intertoto cup, reaching the 4th round (means nothing to me, as I know nothing about intertoto cup)

Zoe

Established Member
The now defunct Gretna qualified for what was the Uefa cup for being runner up in the Scottish cup in 2006, because the eventual winner qualified for a champions league spot in the same season in the league. Gretna were in the SFL division 2 at the time (3rd tier).
That was the Scottish equivalent of the FA Cup though, not the League Cup. Also even if Swansea won the final, I'm not sure they would be allowed to qualify as an English team for the Europa League. However I don't know if the place would go to Bradford or if it would go to the next team in the Premier League.

richw

Veteran Member
That was the Scottish equivalent of the FA Cup though, not the League Cup. Also even if Swansea won the final, I'm not sure they would be allowed to qualify as an English team for the Europa League. However I don't know if the place would go to Bradford or if it would go to the next team in the Premier League.

It would go to Swansea, It was confirmed a few years ago when Cardiff reached the FA cup final, that as they play in English leagues they must be awarded English positions in Europe, and are not eligible for the Welsh places. if the winner isnt eligible for European place, the European place goes to the next team in the premiership who has not qualified